IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New error logging in?

John in Andalucia

The last few days when trying to log in, I got this message (see photo) and couldn't log in or post. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.post-1155-1237724232_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
The last few days when trying to log in, I got this message (see photo) and couldn't log in or post. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.post-1155-1237724232_thumb.png

I had it a few times.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

• 2 months later...

I got the same errormessage as Simona and John on sunday. At this day it wasn't possible to log in. After restart my browser I got the message that my password is wrong (that wasn't true) but I sent an request to the administrator. The system said, that I'll get answer during 10 minutes. Until yet (over one day later) I haven't received an answer. But today it's possible to log in - with the same old password..

Sandra

i see this may be 10-15 times in the last 3 weeks. i see this always in the night.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Yep,

It's a problem that has no clear cut cause. It appears as if clearing cache, logging out, a different browser, etc. will fix it.

I have noticed it happens to me occasionally as well. I always try to use the "Remember me" option, and that seems to work. But it I use a different computer or ISP, that's when it happens.

But I have a few ideas, so please hang in there.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The "remember me" function is not working for me anymore either. So I am constantly getting that error message. Between having to log in everytime, not receiving any email notifications of PM's and topic replies, and generally just not being able to log on at all... its getting rather tiresome.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

• 2 weeks later...

This IPS driver error problem when logging on is getting worse and worse. More and more difficult for me each day , it never remembers my login details, and clearing cache etc etc does nothing to help.

At times in the last 2 weeks I have not been able to logon at all for several hours at a time.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I also received the IPS Drive Error this morning and could not log on. I then closed my browser, opened a new one, opened palm talk and it showed I was logged in. Interesting.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 4 weeks later...

It got me today !! I logged in 7 times. It would say I was now logged in, then go to the error page and say I was not logged in. :angry: As I have a wireless internet connection, I have enough aggravation in my life without this happening too.

Peachy :mrlooney:

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Try logging out. Then clear your cache and try it again. It is also a good idea to clear any PalmTalk related cookies every few months. Logging out will usually do that. But if you are logging in from different computers you may have to do that manually, or from each computer.

I am curious.

1)Do you ever log in from a different computer?

2)I assume all of you eventually got logged in since you were able to post. Is that correct?

3)Do you use the "Remember Me" function. If you do, is it now working?

4)Did any of you try a different browser?

When you guys report errors, it helps a lot to know what browser and OS you are using.

I would also like to know if you ever log out or just exit as is.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean,

I have been reproducing this error, and I'm sure it must go back to the problem mentioned a while ago about the 2 links (page top-right) PalmTalk.org :: PALMTALK.

Referring to them as A and B (from left to right), this morning I got the driver error, then I clicked link B which showed me as still not logged in, then I switched to link A and I was shown as logged in. It appears you can be logged in whilst you don't know it, since all there is to indicate otherwise, is the pink bar at the top of the page with "Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )". I had a PM notification upon logging in recently, even though the page didn't show me as logged in. I think this is not about the end-user, but a serious conflict in the software. I'm still not sure why both links A and B are necessary, and what each serves to do other than link to the same page. If, like me, you find yourself "not logged in" also try navigating the forum to an area that requires you to be logged in, such as the search function, and you may find that you are already logged in. My gut feeling is that these two links exist because of some sort of custom "hack" to the forum software, and that link B is causing a lot of confusion for people who might already be logged in.

Regarding question #2 - "I assume all of you eventually got logged in since you were able to post. Is that correct?".

I think the answer is yes because members are flicking around trying to log in before eventually hitting the right link. I also notice that Cristóbal says he always has this problem at night. Well for me, I always have the problem in the morning and ironically, I'm 9 hours ahead of Cristóbal. So I don't see how it can be a user-specific problem.

Thanks John,

I do what you mention and get the Driver Error for a second before it then logs me in correctly. But at least I see the driver error for a second or two.

For all you experiencing an IPS Driver Error - do you ever use the links at the top right? Please let me know.

If you do. Stop using them. There is no need to use them for anything. If you ever wish to return to the "Front Page" just click on the logo in the top left corner.

Thanks Again John, That may help if those with the problem indicate they use those links from time to time.

However, last time there was a similar problem, I ran a maintenance script on the data base that seemed to fix it. I may attempt to do that again, but I always hate messing with the database unless I have to.

I had the issue occur as recently as Tues night, 18August. For me, this has always occurred in the evening or very early AM, say 9PM to 1AM, PDT. I've always assumed it was some sort of "site maintenance" issue going on. By morning, I was always able to log on. More of an annoyance than anything, but as John notes, there could be a hacker issue.

(I've cleared cache, temp files, etc, as well.)

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I only log in now if I am going to reply to a post. I dont bother logging in to read posts as it is too much hassle now.

The remember me box does not work.

The email notifications do not work.

And half the time I get an IPS driver error.

I am running Firefox, xp.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

And half the time I get an IPS driver error.

Yes, that happens for me every night at peak PC hours. It never used to.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 4 weeks later...

This may or may not help the Admin team, but if you also try and log in to the IPS members area whilst receiving the "Driver Error" on PalmTalk, you receive a detailed error (see attachment). The database needs looking at, so I hope it's of some use.

Thanks John,

That may be of some use to someone within Invision, as all the logs and queries show nothing from the Admin Control side of things. I am working on the assumption at the moment that this is only occurring when a member is logging in from different locations. Was that the case with your latest error?

We are contemplating an upgrade to the latest version sometime soon. So there is a good chance that may be fixed, if it is indeed some kind of a bug. But (IMO) it is always good to know why things do what they do, so any additional info is always appreciated.

Not sure what you mean by different locations, Dean. I'm always here, Wal's always there etc. I only ever log on on my PC.

Well, by chance, I notice that I still get the error screen trying to log into the IPS members area. This is long after I've been able to login to PalmTalk, so now this is another issue.

I got it first time last night after clearing history memory for Palm Talk in Fox Fire.

I had also logged in earlier using IE without a problem.

I closed FF and when it started again it remembered me.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Just to further complicate matters, if I try to log in to the IPS members area (not PalmTalk) even without entering a username or password, it displays the same error screen as I posted earlier (since deleted, as it contained my login details). The same thing happens when I use Windows and XP. It should prompt me for a username and password, but shows a database error instead.

Not sure what you mean by different locations, Dean. I'm always here, Wal's always there etc. I only ever log on on my PC.

John,

Lots of people log in at home, and log in at work. And many have laptops, and other mobile devices, and log in from all over the place. I am working on the assumption that when you exit PalmTalk without logging out, and then try logging in from another location (a different computer or ISP), and you have the "remember me" option activated, the database is confused.

And I don't know what you mean by logging in to the IPS Members area. This area is no different an area as any of the sub-forums. It doesn't require a log in. It is available for anyone to read.

And I don't know what you mean by logging in to the IPS Members area.

Dean, the IPS Members area is at: https://www.palms.org/login.cfm.

Unless something has changed, this is the members only section of the IPS website, requiring separate login details. Maybe it's not part of your responsibility, but I am unable to login.

And I don't know what you mean by logging in to the IPS Members area.

Dean, the IPS Members area is at: https://www.palms.org/login.cfm.

Unless something has changed, this is the members only section of the IPS website, requiring separate login details. Maybe it's not part of your responsibility, but I am unable to login.

Ah,

Totally different server and platform - no connection at all, other that it is also owned and operated by the IPS. I'll let Bo know so he can contact the webmaster over there.

I just logged into the Members Only section on the IPS website (www.palms.org) without difficulties, but will alert Liz anyway - just in case there's something going on.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Any update or progress on the IPS DRIVER ERROR fault? It has been bugging me recently, usually from early morning until noon, occurring intermittently. Maybe we should have a poll to see if there is any correlation between when, where, and who is affected. On the other hand, maybe whoever coded the error message, "There appears to be a problem with the IPS database" should just sit up and take note of this thread. :angry:

Any update or progress on the IPS DRIVER ERROR fault? It has been bugging me recently, usually from early morning until noon, occurring intermittently. Maybe we should have a poll to see if there is any correlation between when, where, and who is affected. On the other hand, maybe whoever coded the error message, "There appears to be a problem with the IPS database" should just sit up and take note of this thread. :angry:

John,

As noted, all the diagnostics that I can run on the data base all return no errors whatsoever. As near as I can tell the issue is a result of the way cookies, and the way the Forum remembers or recognizes those logging in. I would ask you the following:

Do you log off after every visit?

If not, do you ever log in with a different OS, Browser, computer, partition/hard drive, or ISP?

Do you use the "remember me" function?

You are operating from what appears to be an ISP which issues dynamic IPs. That is, each time you log in, you are "coming from" a different IP address. Or you have some program running that changes your IP (security reasons???). I would suspect this may have something to do with your problem. The software recogonizes if "anything" has changed since the last visit. It is a precaution to prevent hackers from hijacking the cookies of others. Well more than 95% of members have static IPs, so they are easily remembered.

Perhaps your Linux/Firefox combination is handling cookies in a fashion not familiar to the now 3 year old software. Try logging off when leaving, and see if that makes a difference. Especially if you are "changing" anything the software may use to recognize you. (The IP will certainly change regardless) Turn off "remember me." See if cutting all ties when leaving makes a difference. Logging off supposedly clears all cookies.

I have only received that error twice. And both times they occurred when I logged in from a hotel room with my laptop. Apparently the software recognized that I was on a different ISP (with a different IP), and couldn't "remember me." I know it is browser specific, as when I visit the website with Safari, it remembers me as Palm Mod - and when I visit with Firefox, it remembers me as Dypsisdean, and when I visit with Camino, it remembers me as a test member.

Other people are having this login problem Dean, not just me. My ISP assigns a dynamic IP address, which is quite normal. Everything you suggest points to the end user which quite frankly, is not on as far as I'm concerned. There shouldn't be any trickery needed to log in to a forum. It should just work.

Other people are having this login problem Dean, not just me. My ISP assigns a dynamic IP address, which is quite normal. Everything you suggest points to the end user which quite frankly, is not on as far as I'm concerned. There shouldn't be any trickery needed to log in to a forum. It should just work.

John,

I am doing my best. It would help a lot if you would answer the questions I asked, and followed the suggestions I offered, and let me know if they make any difference. I am still leaning toward the idea that it is only those who are logging in from different locations, or changing computers, IPs, browsers etc. (cookie conflicts) while using the "remember me" function.

I'll have to differ with you. Well over 95% of the members have static IPs. And the only people that appear to be having trouble are those with changing (dynamic) IPs - like you, Caryota Gigas, and Fastfeat. There appears to be a common theme there. As suggested, try logging out each visit and stop using "remember me," and see if that makes a difference.

I'll ask again.

Do you log off after every visit?

If not, do you ever log in with a different OS, Browser, computer, partition/hard drive, or ISP?

Do you use the "remember me" function?

And one more question. Has this ever occurred for you with Windows and IE?

I can turn of the security feature that matches cookies, but we decided some time ago that the problem wasn't affecting enough people to relax security for everyone. No one has reported anything to me in almost two weeks. So please read the suggestions again, and help me pin this down. Since all the diagnostics and logs indicate that everything is working correctly, the only thing I can really change is the security settings, or upgrading the entire Forum to the newest software - which is in the works.

Next time you get the error, it may still indicate you are logged in. If so, try logging out to clear your cookies, and then try again.

And for anyone else, if you are experiencing problems, please let me know.

John,

FYI - No data base errors. As you can read, this is the diagnostic script that is recommended be run when experiencing an IPS Driver Error, in order to verify the integrity of the DB. I have run this once a week for several months now with a clean slate every time.

post-430-1254399950_thumb.png

post-430-1254400045_thumb.png

post-430-1254400061_thumb.png

post-430-1254400075_thumb.png

Do you log off after every visit? YES, ALWAYS

Do you use the "remember me" function? NEVER

And one more question. Has this ever occurred for you with Windows and IE? DON'T KNOW

A common theme that shouldn't be overlooked, is the frequency and timing of the error. To quote Cristóbal: "I see this maybe 10-15 times in the last 3 weeks. I see this always in the night." - which for me, is the morning, the only time when I have the problem. Likewise, it never used to happen 6 or 8 months ago, and I had exactly the same set-up then as I do now.

If we're moving to new software it may resolve itself, so I'll just 'put up and shut up' until then. Thanks, Dean for your persistence, at least, in trying to resolve this.

Regarding your last question above, the next time the login error occurs, I will try to log in simultaneously on a Windows/IE laptop so as to hopefully rule this one out.

Do you log off after every visit? YES, ALWAYS

Do you use the "remember me" function? NEVER

I'm curious John, why do you log off every time? I can see doing that if you're using a public computer, but if it's your own, I don't see the need. I simply close the tab I'm viewing PalmTalk in and never have the logon problems you experience.

Mats - I guess that's just they way I do it. Logging off is my way of switching off to concentrate on other things. I read the forums, log in, reply and then log out. I don't like to leave doors open! Sure, if you never log out you won't have the problem, but I set my browser to clear cookies when I shut down in the evening.

John,

Thanks for the info, it is helpful.

I'm not so sure if you didn't log off, there wouldn't be problems. I was operating on the other argument - that if you did, then it wouldn't be confused when it tries to match your info, and it doesn't match due to a different IP, browser, etc.

FYI - Cristobal also logs in from multiple IPs - it appears as if he uses dynamic IPs as well.

So, this seems to be emerging as a common theme. Now, we just have to find out how those can best negotiate when they have this problem. I may consider a test, for curiosity's sake, to switch of the security feature I think may be a culprit.

i connect to palmtalk almost every day with the same computer almost all the time. i have firefox for the browser, and if i close all the windows it delete the temporary files but not cookies. i dont do log off when i go off palmtalk. this problem happen to me again sunday. and always in the night, my time, pacific same as los angeles. i can help you do some test ?

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6