IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie Autumn 09

Walter John

Coning Macrozamia reidlii.

Also a view back to Perth from the hills.

Best regards

Tyrone

to me this is very interesting, i think before that perth is desert similiar to my area. your temperatues of the ocean must be much more higher to have this type of vegetations, your area is very green with trees !

if you see in the southurn hemisphere vegetations in areas of 32 south in africa and south america, the vegetations are similiar to my area in 32 north, west side of continent, but not in australia.

Cristobal, I think the difference is due to our rainfall. We average 870mm a year with 180mm a month for every month of winter. Also our ocean temps do have a moderating effect on the winter temps. Ocean temps mid winter run at 18-20C usually, but can sometimes be as high as 22C. The cold air in the cold fronts will form rain when it comes in contact with the relatively warm ocean, so that is maybe one reason why we get quite a bit of rainfall, even though at 32S we should start to be in the arid zone. 400km north at 29S the rainfall is only 300mm a year and the flora looks more like So Cal or northern Mexico.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Out here in the wild west the nights have been getting cold enough to need the heating on at night. It will soon be time to bring some of the babies and more delicate palms indoors again although I am continually surprised by what can survive the really cold nights that the books and experts say should not.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

After leaving Guatemala City, we drove SE into quite an arid zone, with many cactuses. Then we approached the Carribean coast at Rio Dulce, and everything started looking lush. On Sat night we had a storm and heavy rain that seemed to go on for hours and hours.

On Sunday morning we took a boat trip down to Livingston on the coast. Luckily it stayed fine for this, but rain re-developed on the way N to Flores, where I am now.

I think the wet season has started early, and the temps are milder than expected.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Now in Belize; did some adventure caving today. The weather is still depressing; heavily overcast with occasional rain. Little breeze, and very difficult to dry washing. Nice temps though; probably struggling to exceed 25c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Still the same here. Blue skies, blue skies, blue skies. Warm enough in the day to break a sweat, but almost cool enough at night to have the heater on. In fact I've had the heater on a few nights this week. I like to be warm all the time.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Went snorkelling off Caye Caulker. At last, some great tropical weather; mainly blue sky and a steady easterly trade wind (in fact, it blew our dinghy back to shore after the motor failed to start)

Now a 12 hour bus ride to Cancun for the flight home :(

Over and out

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Officially 5.1C here this morning. Brrrrrrr. Going for 26C though. Talk about a large diurnal swing.

Looking forward to some moisture in the air and some more moderate temps. Should be here Monday night. Only 3 and a bit months to spring. Yaaaeeeeee.

Best regards

Tyrone

After 6 weeks of cloudless skies and cool nights, but lovely warm days, we are finally getting some rain. Forecast is for an entire week of rain and showers, with a possible east coast low thrown in the mix, which can bring huge rainfall totals. More than 50mm of rain this evening, and plenty more to come. At least the nights are warm again!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It was meant to rain today, the clouds looked ominous, then it dissipated and not a drop fell. But, we are going to be drenched from tomorrow night on for at least a month. Thursday is tipped to drop 40mm. A big slow moving low is meant to move up to meet the SW corner of Oz and keep us in a westerly south westerly air stream. Tonight is warmer than it has been the last few nights.

Best regards

Tyrone

We are getting swamped here. Some areas of northern Brisbane have had 300mm in the last 24 hours. We have been lucky so far as it is just to our north (but headed south). My rain gauge is up to 125mm so far. Bonus is the nights are warm and humid with a low of 18C at home last night. We'll see what the next 24 hours brings...

Wal must have got hammered with the rain last night.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yes Daryl, absolutely smashed and getting more so by the minute. The winds are expected to be violent by this evening. I have raised all my palms in pots slightly off the ground because it's flowing in every corner of the yard. I'm home today minding my grand daughter (she's asleep at present) and it's pelting down. Temps are warmer for now, the dams must be getting a nice top up and it even looks like poor old Toowoomba is finally getting some rain. Her dam levels are still critical.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yes Daryl, absolutely smashed and getting more so by the minute. The winds are expected to be violent by this evening. I have raised all my palms in pots slightly off the ground because it's flowing in every corner of the yard. I'm home today minding my grand daughter (she's asleep at present) and it's pelting down. Temps are warmer for now, the dams must be getting a nice top up and it even looks like poor old Toowoomba is finally getting some rain. Her dam levels are still critical.

The water is racing thru my yard at an alarming rate. I just had to go out in the downpour and rescue all the smaller pots and couple of not so small ones too that were washed off the concrete path and against the lower side fence. The shed is underwater and the carport is more like a raging torrent. My lovely new kroc was leaning at a strange angle so I managed to stake it but how long it holds up I dont know. The lower part of the parklands opposite is under a metre of water and rising rapidly. Was it only a few days ago I was bitching about it all being so dry ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hope everyone around Brisbane is OK with not much damage, talked to Stan and the nursery at Burpengary is wet with water flowing every where.

Lou Randall must have also copped it with his place so low.

We only got 70ml up at Childers which was nice as it was getting dry again.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I hope everyone is OK over there. I heard that Mt Cootha has had a landslide. I hope the BG is OK.

Best regards

Tyrone

120kmh winds...torrential rain and no power for 6 hours...fun!At least my mobile phone works...daryl

That is almost cyclonic.... I hope no damage to houses....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well the rain came lastnight. We're expecting gusts to 125kph here today. It's going to be wild today. We had a min of 16C and it was 20C before 7am this morning.

Best regards

Tyrone

We had a wild day yesterday, wind gusts were very strong, and coupled with lots of rain and waterlogged soil, a lot of trees got blown over. The winds snapped the power poles at the top of my street in half. We still have no power 24 hours later.

One of the eucalypts on my property decided enough was enough and fell over the creek...all 90ft of it. Two other smaller (50ft) eucalypts also snapped in half. Looks like I will be spending some time on the chainsaw this weekend if the weather ever clears. No palm damage fortunately.

We missed out on a lot of the rain and only had a total of about 200mm, but other places like Springbrook received over 400mm.

Here's some local photos... Here... and more Here...

Daryl

Wild & wooly here today

Wind gusts to 110 km/hr & 145mm of rain in the last 24hrs. No damage to the palms but some large branches have fallen off the big gum trees in the front yard, fortunatley well away from the house.

The Clarence river catchment is on flood watch & the low pressue system is almost stationary which means more wild weather for at least the next 12hrs.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Well it was weird driving to work this morning. I reversed out the driveway to light winds and the sun shining warmly, but half a km west of me I literally drove into a curtain of solid water, extremely heavy rain with almost zero visibility. The roads flooded and verge was flooded, and people were pulling off the road. The wind was fierce, the sky jet black. The road to work followed the storm track for a bit, and while sitting at the lights it would gust from no rain for a couple of seconds, to pelting heavy for another couple, then as I drove further down the road it got weird. The storm was so localised that for about 20 seconds there was pelting heavy rain in the lane next to me, but almost zero in my lane to the point my wipers became noisier on the drier screen. Then I crossed an intersection and turned and no rain, with workmen at a work site outside unaware how close the heavy rain was, but you could see only a few metres away the rain coming down heavy. Another 100m down the road and the sun was out, with a relatively dry road. I've never experienced something so localised as that here.

Around lunch time the real front hit. The wind came through like a speeding road train and knocked heaps of palms over at work. It looked like 100kph plus winds. I got home to find a 10ft leaf wrenched off of my Cuban Royal at the crownshaft and bits and pieces of my Eucalyptus strewn everywhere. It's now 17C outside after reaching 24C with gusty winds. You wouldn't know it was 27C yesterday. Trees have been knocked down. A friend told me about an Indian Coral Tree of decent size ripped out roots and all and dumped 10m from the original hole. I'm glad I only lost a few branches.

Winter is now here. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

The wind died down at last but I woke up to see the river lapping at the bottom of my driveway so I couldnt have left if I tried. The garden is one big oozing mess but at least out of the water. Next door on the lower side is submerged only the house is okay. Big roystonea branches all over the place too so I guess its going to be a very busy weekend ahead. I still cant get to the back of the yard where all the younger palms are so it will probably be saturday or sunday before I find out what horrors await me there. Still the house is okay and I am a lot better off than many people in the lower laying suburbs.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The wind died down at last but I woke up to see the river lapping at the bottom of my driveway so I couldnt have left if I tried. The garden is one big oozing mess but at least out of the water. Next door on the lower side is submerged only the house is okay. Big roystonea branches all over the place too so I guess its going to be a very busy weekend ahead. I still cant get to the back of the yard where all the younger palms are so it will probably be saturday or sunday before I find out what horrors await me there. Still the house is okay and I am a lot better off than many people in the lower laying suburbs.

Peachy

What river was that Peachy ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I've just been looking at the destruction in SE QLD on TV. The worst floods since 1974. Lots of people with damaged homes etc. At least the drought is now officially over for SE QLD. A years rain fell in a couple of days according to the news. I hope everyone's OK over there.

Best regards

Tyrone

I've just been looking at the destruction in SE QLD on TV. The worst floods since 1974. Lots of people with damaged homes etc. At least the drought is now officially over for SE QLD. A years rain fell in a couple of days according to the news. I hope everyone's OK over there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Typical news hype. 200-300mm over most of SE QLD, with higher totals in some areas. 1300-3000mm per annum is the average for this neck of the woods, depending on where you live.

Daryl

Peachy

What river was that Peachy ?

The Bremer river is the boundary of the parklands opposite me. One of the big creeks joins it here so when all the rain came it couldnt move the water fast enough and the park went completely under to about 6 metres or so. The block I live on was like a little island poking up out of the water.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Wild night last night. High winds and hail. :(

I'm going out to have a look at the carnage in a minute.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well it was rotten windy rainy day today, but luckily no damage from the hail lastnight, not even any marking on my bottles and Veitchia joannis. I just had a broken foxy lady leaf. My Dwarf Malay actually grew a bit through lastnight and is opening a spear. It only got to 17.5C and boy did it feel cold.

Best regards

Tyrone

Spent two days in Los Angeles; fine with cool ocean breezes there.

Arrived in Sydney on Friday to windy, showery weather (floods on the North Coast-again!)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

I'm over this rain....give me sun for a couple of weeks at least!...cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

Matt , how did you fare in the floods down there at Maclean,as i heard there was major flooding?...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Cold day yesterday. It barely reached 16C and dropped to 4.8C this morning with the clear skies. The suns out this morning though, so things can warm up a bit today.

Best regards

Tyrone

G'Day Mike

Yeah had some wild & woolly weather hear on Thurs through to Fri with 320mm of rain in the 24 hr period 260mm of it in 12 hrs overnight with wind gusts of 110 km/hr which has made the garden a real mess but only minimal damage to the palms but I'm concerned with a Dypsis lastelliana that was blown over. I have staked it up & well see how it goes.

The Clarence river peaked at Maclean at around 21:30 last night about 10 cm below the levy that surrounds the township with a collective sigh of relief.

The river is slowly falling & then the clean up will begin.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Am I allowed to post in here or should I have 5000 posts or so?

Anyway here's Kal's cold week forecast if anyone's bothered.

KALGOORLIE:

Remainder of Sunday: Fine. Light to moderate S/SW winds.

Monday: Fine. Light winds.

Temperatures Min 5 Max 17

UV Alert: 11:10 am to 12:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Outlook for:

Tuesday : Fine. Min 5 Max 18

Wednesday : Fine. Min 8 Max 18

Thursday : Chance of a shower. Min 8 Max 17

Lee, you're getting the same cold air pocket we have. Up to 20C today then gradually rising to 24C later in the week. It got down to 3.3C at the official station this morning.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lee, you're getting the same cold air pocket we have. Up to 20C today then gradually rising to 24C later in the week. It got down to 3.3C at the official station this morning.

Best regards

Tyrone

Whoosh! Hows the Cocos handling it?

The coconut is still growing despite the cold weather. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Well after last weeks cold wild weather, we've had 24C for the last couple of days and more low twenties to come. The long range forecast is tipping a warm winter with average rainfall. We enter June (winter) with 21,22C days. Not too bad. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Well Autumn ended with a 27C day. Very warm for here. Today the 1st of June was 26.2C. Totally unexpected warmth for winter.

Best regards

Tyrone