IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie Autumn 09

Walter John

Perth was humid today. It felt sticky. The Perth beaches even had a sea fog drift in. It still got to 30C. It's 90% RH right now. The palms are going to love this hot humid spell.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,27...64-2761,00.html

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still raining here on the east coast & the weather bureau are predicting even more rain for the next three days.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Well the weather is really schizophrenic at the moment. From sea fog yesterday and a RH of 95% earlier today we're down to a RH of 6% now with a howling easterly and 34C. Dewpoints have been as low as neg 13C. This is the driest I've ever seen it. Summer was much more humid than this. There's one thing I hate more than wind. Dry wind. :rage:

At least it's 29C and thunderstorms tomorrow. We'll probably be back to 90% RH then. Crazy time of year this.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Howe Island nearly got washed away. This is what I found on a weather site.

Breaking Weather News - Lord Howe Island almost lost at sea in big rain

Brett Dutschke, 20 April 2009

Lord Howe Island would have resembled a swamp in an ocean last night as more than 240 millimetres of torrential rain fell, their heaviest in 11 years.

About 140mm (more than their monthly average of 114mm) was dumped in a two-hour period in the early evening when winds consistently gusted 80 to 100km/h. The maximum gust was 146km/h, the strongest recorded on the island in three-and-a-half years.

The cause of the big rain and wind was a deep low which moved slowly over the region. The low sent frequent bands of squally rain over the island for much of the night.

Apart from the darkness of night the flooding rain may have made the island difficult to locate in the vast expanse of the ocean.

The low has also been the cause of gusty winds and showers on the New South Wales coast during the last few days. Today Port Macquarie has had more than 70mm.

On Tuesday winds and showers will gradually ease on the NSW coast and on Lord Howe Island as the low edges east. This will be the trend for the rest of the week. Showers will have almost totally cleared by Friday.

Strong winds and rain will redevelop over the weekend as another system approaches from the west.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is typically tropical here, about 32c in the daytime and 23c overnight. It is fine but partly cloudy.

Where am I? Sydney? No fear!

Cancun, Mexico.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Very hot this weekend, 30 + both days.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I went snorkelling at Isle Mujeres today, which is just off Cancun. It was pretty blowy, probably about 30c on land, and there was a lot of cloud formation with one brief but rather heavy shower. Perhaps the wet season is on the way.

Tomorrow on to Merida. Adios, amigos!

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Been down in Albany on the south coast all long weekend. It was cold, like Perth in July. Gloomy during the day and 18, 19C with drizzle at night. 10 or 11C at night. We had the heater going. Got back to Perth at 10.30pm and it's 19C and has been getting to around 29C during the day. Palms have grown since I've been gone. Coconut grew 8cm. 29C tomorrow. Not bad for late April. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Warm mid to high twenties all next week. Got to around 29C today. Even a 30C coming on Mon. This is a great autumn.

Tyrone

BRRRRRRR it nearly got down to 20 last night , will have to get the doona out . I try and harden myself up, and only use a blanket until May .. but I have gone to troppo I think .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

The day is still warm, but the nights are getting colder. They were talking about below 20deg tonight. We shall see....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I explored the old town centre of Merida today, beautiful but hot work.

It was 39c maximum, with some big cumulus clouds but no rain.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Mike and Ari, below twenty degrees. :) Got to get the fire roaring and put the thermal underwear on. You sound like a couple of Lipstick Palms if they could talk.

I'm enjoying this Indian summer down here. So far our summer has been a good 6 months long so I'm happy. My coconut is very happy so I'm happy. I'm giving the garden a good water this morning. 27C today with plenty of sunshine.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was 18deg this morning.... COLD!!! Both my kids wore jumper to school and daycare... lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, how would you handle an 18C maximum??????? :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I might be able to, but the kids... there is no way. One is a QLDers and one is Territorian. They are used to the heat!! You should see what they wear, when they went down to Brisbane....lol.

Besides, that is why we are here and not Canada....

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow Ari, 18C minimum is cold for this time of year in your area. What was the daily maximum?

We just had our first cold snap for the year, a bit early I might add. Two cold nights down to 11C but at least the days are still warm...26C, no cloud, no breeze.

Apart from that the days are crystal clear and 'sparkling' as my mum used to say.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Arrived in Palenque (Chiapis province) Hot as hell here, looking forward to the highlands.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Got hustled out of Mexico quickly. Now in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, alt 2300m. Cool and showery here.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Got hustled out of Mexico quickly. Now in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, alt 2300m. Cool and showery here.

Yeah, watch out for that Swine Flu....

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yeah, watch out for that Swine Flu....

Daryl

I was wondering about that but I didn't want to ruin Phillips holiday by mentioning it.

How's the situation over there? Are people talking much about it?

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow Ari, 18C minimum is cold for this time of year in your area. What was the daily maximum?

We just had our first cold snap for the year, a bit early I might add. Two cold nights down to 11C but at least the days are still warm...26C, no cloud, no breeze.

Apart from that the days are crystal clear and 'sparkling' as my mum used to say.

Daryl

Daily maximum is still 32 deg, but drier now. Someone has flicked the switch.... Here comes the dry season, complete with the tourists....lol.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

Daily maximum is still 32 deg, but drier now. Someone has flicked the switch.... Here comes the dry season, complete with the tourists....lol.

Hey Ari, you going to catch up with the El Hoagies ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It was a dry and third warmest April in 110yrs in Perth. We averaged 14C min to 28C max vs the average of 14C min 26max. Only 5mm of rain with none in sight for another 3 weeks. I'm wondering whether we'll have a warm winter, or the scales will shift and we get a cold and wild winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Awoke to a chill this morning , really glad I put on the lightweight doona ,, damn those long legs of mine hanging out the bottom of the bed , BRRRRRR 17.5 !!!!! chilly billy , but a pleasant 26 most of the day .

hoagies on Monday , can't wait .....................

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hey Ari, you going to catch up with the El Hoagies ?

I hope I can.... if the baby doesn't come early, I should be around. We shall wait and see... I am getting HUGE!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We saw people wearing masks over their mouths and noses in Cancun and Merida, but they were mainly people in the food industry. Certainly no sign of panic.

It seems illogical to send us from southern Mexico to Guatemala because germs don´t respect political boundaries. In any case, we were never going anywhere near Mexico City.

Anyhow, we´ll have longer in Guatemala.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

It's getting a bit monotonous over here. Only a few weeks from winter too. But I'm not complaining. Usually by now we have an indication of what sort of winter we're going to get. So far the indication is a warm and dry winter. Bad for the dams.

Forecast for Monday

Fine. Light to moderate NE winds with a light to moderate afternoon sea breeze.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 11 Max 28

Mandurah: Min 15 Max 25

UV Alert: 10:20 am to 2:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 4 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: MODERATE

Tuesday Fine. Min 11 Max 28

Wednesday Fine. Min 12 Max 28

Thursday Fine. Min 12 Max 28

Friday Fine. Min 12 Max 27

Saturday Fine. Min 11 Max 27

Sunday Fine. Min 11 Max 27

Best regards

Tyrone

Now at Monterrico on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, almost as far south as El Salvador. The climate here is almost equatorial, but there is a distinct dry season which should be ending soon.

Today is great beach weather, in the low thirties with some high cloud and probable rain over the nearby mountains. The nights are oppressive though; you could cut the air with a knife.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Lake Atitlan is about 1500m, and the weather is very mild but humid. At night, it doesn´t seem cooler than 18c, and the days probably in the low to mid 20s. I was surprised to see some small coconut palms growing in the park by the lake.

Very hazy, unfortunately. The air quality in Guatemala is terrible.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

hi tyrone,

what is the natural vegetations like by perth, can you put a foto ?

i ask for you also are on west side of one continent and same latitude.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristobal, Here are some pics of flora in the Darling Ranges which run parralel to coast for a few hundred km's. These pics were taken at the middle of Spring 07. The cycad is Macrozamia reidli and the grasstree is Xanthorea preislii.

post-63-1241616747_thumb.jpg

post-63-1241616888_thumb.jpg

Some wildflowers. I don't know what they are.

post-63-1241617004_thumb.jpg

post-63-1241617088_thumb.jpg

More wildflowers

post-63-1241617234_thumb.jpg

post-63-1241617294_thumb.jpg

Coning Macrozamia reidlii.

Also a view back to Perth from the hills.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1241617403_thumb.jpg

post-63-1241617520_thumb.jpg

Climbed Pacaya volcano today; the lava was quite exciting. Staying at Antigua 1500m; the nights are cool, perhaps below 15c, and the days reach about the low twenties. Unfortunately the constant cloud makes it difficult to see the huge volcanoes in all directions.

Now back to the heat; Tikal then Belize.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Okay, I'll be the guinea pig (as usual), why Phillip are you posting about weather on your overseas trip in the Aussie Autumn weather thread ? :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Maybe he's missing the Autumn weather in Engadine?

Daz

Weather here hasent been the greatest with rain more often than not for the last week with the first full day of sunshine today. Had some nights with lows of 10C and a couple of days of highs of only 19C. Today got to 20C and a low tonight is expected to be 11C.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Coning Macrozamia reidlii.

Also a view back to Perth from the hills.

Best regards

Tyrone

to me this is very interesting, i think before that perth is desert similiar to my area. your temperatues of the ocean must be much more higher to have this type of vegetations, your area is very green with trees !

if you see in the southurn hemisphere vegetations in areas of 32 south in africa and south america, the vegetations are similiar to my area in 32 north, west side of continent, but not in australia.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6