IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2008-2009 Winter wrap

bubba

This has been an interesting year. Last year,California got the cold air.This year,Florida did.Can Texas be far behind? Louisiana and Arizona were also warmer than normal.

The High temperature per Weather Underground for Dec was Alice,Tx on Dec.27,2008 at 93F.For Jan.,Santa Ana,Ca was 90F on the 12th.For Feb.,Edinburg,Tx was 93F on the 13th.California showed up in a big way,especially from Jan.11-22.They had a run of highs from 90 to the upper 80's during that time frame.South Texas is just unbelievable for Winter MH's with upper 80's to low 90's a day or two after a cold front.Florida can jump into MH only when a cold front hits Texas and it is cool in California allowing low to mid 80's to show as winners.I believe the MH last year was 98F in Laredo so Texans may feel they had a cool one.

ML this year was Florida but strangely few of the ML's came from the Keys. It was cold for the Conch's and Key West hit 47F.Most of Florida's winners were from the Southeast Coast.Florida was cooler than normal and had many days of the 75/60 variety in South Florida,which is like heaven.

Florida had some true Artic fronts that made it through for the first time in more than a few years. When I say made it through, Havana,Cuba reported a low of 46F the same day it hit 47F in Key West.The fact is Florida really missed a bullet. Orlando's low was 30F,St.Pete 37F and Miami 38F. West Palm Airport reported 33F(cold hole)on Feb.5 but Pahokee on Lake Okee reported 37F.The head lifeguard on the Mid-town Beach at Palm Beach recorded air temperature of 41F and water of 71F at 6:30 AM Feb.5,2009.Alot of micro-climates in Florida also.

Inland Florida,except near large bodies of water,reported very low temperatures into the 20's even in South Florida. The true tale of the freeze will be told over the next several months but some of the pictures show bad damage to specimens already.It will be interesting to see how the coconuts fared in Daytona,Jacksonville and Kyle's plantings up in the McCarty Hall micoclimate.(I hope!)

For South Florida,where WPB reported 33F,you will be able to see here that Ann Norton Sculpture Garden,on the West side of the Intracoastal, had no damage that I could see.The Sealing Wax thread seems to verify that either they are a much hardier item than reported(demise automatic at 40F) or temperatures were higher.In Florida it may be the quick bounce back factor to warmer temperatures that plays a role.Miami's worst day was 61/38 on Feb.5,2009.Orlando was 48/32 on Jan.21,2009.St Pete's crummiest day was 48/38 on Jan.21,2009.

Louisiana had a warm a Winter.Low temperature for New Orleans was 29F and many times South Louisiana reported mid-70 highs and mid-50 lows.I bet the Louisiana folks had a great Palm growing year.

Texas had a warm and exceptional Winter.Lowest temperature in Houston was 30F.Laredo was 34F. Brownsville was 36F. No freeze in South Texas.Brownsville and environs were particularly hospitable with many days in the upper 70's to low 80's with nightime lows around 60.Dec.16,2008 was probably the worst day with 47/38.Laredo had one of those on Dec.22 with 43/35. Houston had a couple of 42/31's in Dec.

California had a tremendous Jan run from approximately Jan.11-22.(90 to upper 80's with lows in the 60's.A number of ML's were accounted for in Ca. during this time-frame.Santa Monica had it's coldest day on Dec.27,2008 at 57/40.Fullerton on Feb.10,2008 was 57/32.Thermal on Jan.5,2009 reported 60/27.With it's micro-climates, California is the most difficult of all the States.It can be 50F at the top of a hill and 40F at the bottom.It is a paradox!

Arizona had a great Winter.Phoenix low was Dec.27,2008 with 51/34. Yuma was 60/36 on Jan 5,2009.Tucson was 59/26 on Dec 28,2008.Many days high 60's and lows mid 40's.Strangely, the afternoon highs were more Easterly with Nogales, Douglas and Tucson showing up as the high in the state when it was almost always Yuma last year.

Cooling and Heating degrees from NWS show the real profile.Using a base of 65F,the number of cooling degrees shows the number of degrees the median temperature exceeded 65F and presumably computes the necessity of air conditioning.In Dec/2008,the Cooling degrees were reported as follows:

Key West-201- 32 degrees less than normal

Miami-219- 25 degrees warmer than normal

West Palm-154- 6 degrees less

Ft Myers-121- 2 degrees less

Orlando-74- normal

Brownsville-98- 18 degrees warmer

Laredo-57- 27 degrees warmer

San Antonio-26- 11 degrees warmer

Houston-38- 13 degrees warmer

New Orleans-69-40 degrees warmer

Los Angeles-0- 4 degees less

San Diego-0-1 degree less

Phoenix-0-normal

Heating Degrees from NWS in Dec/2008,in contrast,shows those days when heat was necessary(below 65F median)

Key West-1-18 degrees less than normal

Miami-6- 35 degrees less

West Palm-46 degrees less

Ft Myers-39- 61 degrees less

Orlando-88- 86 degrees less

Brownnsville 140- 46 degrees less

Laredo-187- 93 degrees less

San Antonio-332- 59 degrees less

Houston-322- 45 degrees less

New Orleans-242- 90 degrees less

Los Angeles-310- 76 degrees above normal

San Diego-253- 22 degrees above normal

Phoenix-273- 45 degrees less

Interestingly,December was not bad for Florida and virtually all sites except California were warmer than normal.

Things change in a major way in the NWS run for Jan 1,2009-Feb.7,2009. Starting first with cumulative cooling numbers:

Key West-151-63 degrees less cooling than normal

Miami-131- 35 degrees less

West Palm -80- 57 degrees less

Ft Myers-66- 52 degrees less

Orlando-26- 50 degrees less

Brownsville-95- 27 degrees more cooling time than normal

Laredo-70- 31 degrees more

San Antonio- 21 - 14 degrees more

Houston-20- 15 degrees more

New Orleans-30- 12 degrees more

Los Angeles-2- 2 degrees more

Phoenix-17- 15 degrees more

The NWS Heating Degree run from Jan.i2009-Feb.7,2009 is also interesting:

Key West-62- 17 degrees more heating than normal

Miami-88- 20 degrees more

West Palm-202- 29 degrees more

Ft Myers-279- 62 degrees more

Orlando-526- 100 degrees more

Brownsville-306-200 degrees less heating than normal

Laredo-386- 383 degrees less

San Antonio-841- 327 degrees less

Houston-886- 222 degrees less

New Orleans 837-181 degrees less

Los Angeles-617- 70 degrees less

San Diego-510- 119 degrees less

Phoenix-523-313 degrees less

This year it looks like Brownsville was more comparable to Ft Myers than the Tampa,Orlando,Daytona corridor.Louisiana was definitely warmer than normal.Arizona was also warmer and Phoenix and Yuma did not record a freeze.California had a hot run from Jan-11-22 and Los Angeles and San Diego had substantially less heating necessity than normal(LA-617;SD-510) Santa Monica recorded a low of only 40F and as best I can tell most area's did not hit 32F.

As cold as Florida was this year,even a warm year in Brownsville cannot touch South Florida numbers. Miami,which was 88 in the South Florida cold frame of Jan.1/Feb7 required substantially less heat than Brownsville at 306.Actually,this was as sweet a Winter I can remember in South Florida for some time.I feel very bad for those pushing the edges in other areas of Florida that suffered damage to sensitive foliage.I hope your recovery is quick and complete.

What you look for is what is looking

,,,,Louisiana had a warm a Winter.Low temperature for New Orleans was 29F and many times South Louisiana reported mid-70 highs and mid-50 lows.I bet the Louisiana folks had a great Palm growing year.,,,,

And that 29 degree night was less than 2 hours below freezing. Less than on hour at my place. It just dipped right at daybreak with the radiational heat loss, and then popped right back up with the sun.

As for growing conditions it was that winter we so look forward to, but in Louisiana it was only valuable healing time after the hurricane damage. It was good though, because if it would have been a hard winter losses would have been much greater.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bubbalou

You'z a "high schola"!

Steve

p.s. put me down for 32F min, twice. It's that damn Ike that's still got my yard lookin' like $*&@.

Edited by steve 9atx

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Wilma still has a number of Norfolk Pines looking almost like telephone poles. Those Huricuns do worst damage down here than any cold spell to palms.

Bubba, I can summarize by saying it sucked.

The coming weekend, although warmer than what we've already seen, will be some salt for the wound.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, Florida may have stunk but Louisiana,Texas,Arizona and California may disagree.

I agree with Ray it sucked!!!

Oh wait a minute, maybe a little early for a winter WRAP party Bubbalouie,at least here in central Florida.

I am forecast to hit 35F here Thursday night/ Friday morning, with 2 days for the forecast to go lower! :rage:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I understand everything up to the point where you write, "This has been an interesting year". After that, I get a little glassy-eyed. I think I've got it figured out....maybe.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

thanks for the great report Bubba, I find it interesting, and tracked your daily reports.

I might add that The Tallahassee Regional airport recorded a new record low of Feb 5th, 2009 for the date. It reached 14 degrees which broke the previous low of 16 in 1996. The last time tAllahassee reported 14 or below was on Decemeber 24th, 1989 and it recorded 13 degrees.

However the airport here is a a 'cold hole'... lower elevation and away from the main population. My digital meter reported a low of 21.6 the same ngiht. 5ft off the ground 90% exposed to open sky.

This gives me hope in Tallahassee, where the airport can have 8a temps and the city and urban areas can still remain in zone 9a and grow Washingtonia, Phoenix, and queens.

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Scott, I know it is still Winter up in Titusville. The Spinner Sharks are already rolling down here.

Epic,I thought you folks out in Cali would enjoy a little Florida pain.

Luke, I hope those Queens,Washingtonia and Phoenix made it in Tally.Glad you enjoyed the daily 12/1/08-2/15/09 report.

Scott, I know it is still Winter up in Titusville. The Spinner Sharks are already rolling down here.

Epic,I thought you folks out in Cali would enjoy a little Florida pain.

Luke, I hope those Queens,Washingtonia and Phoenix made it in Tally.Glad you enjoyed the daily 12/1/08-2/15/09 report.

If we all lived in the Caribbean or Hawaii, there would be no pain. Well, in winter, anyway.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Bubba,

You make it sound like I live in Minnesota or North Dakota, or somethin!!! :lol:

It is supposed to be coastal central Florida, and by the end of Febuary we shouldn't be flirting with freezing temps,damn it! :rage:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Epic, When you fly back and forth from the Bahamas to South Florida,you realize that the difference between our area and the Bahamas is that we are simply on the other side of the Gulfstream.There truly is not that much difference in climate. Maybe one day a year and there is nothing sustantially different in climate or vegetation.Also,if the Keys are not Carribean then Carribean does not exist. Green Turtle,in the mid-Abacos,saw snow also in 1977.

Scott, This has been a dam cold year in Central Florida and that includes Titusville. I hope Ken's Palms are going to make it and am sure they will with your TLC.Down here,when the Spinners are rolling, Winter is long gone. We can only hope for a few extra cool days and that is fine with me.

33F in the WPB cold hole would mean it was damn cold in south Florida too. 47F in Key West is proof in the pudding. Anytime the Conch Republic is only 15 degrees warmer than me on a cold morning you can say the event was widespread.

Ray, The Keys had a cold winter no doubt.Florida as a whole had a cold winter,especially Central and Northern Florida. I have not seen any exploding coconuts,broken Royals and even the 50 foot Areca catchetu is doing fine in cold hole WPB.

Ray, Florida may have stunk but Louisiana,Texas,Arizona and California may disagree.

Texas was nice and mild overall this winter.

Here in the SA area:

Feb avg high so far 75F (well 74.9 I rounded)

Jan avg high: 68.5F (coldest month of year).

Dec: 67.8F

So, basically averaged 70F for a winter high temp overall, all winter, which is a couple degrees above average (normal average is in the 60s for Jan and first part of Feb, low 70s late Feb).

Of course far south texas was warmer.

I won't complain as it's been far worse in other areas. Despite the long cool winter and the widespread foliage damage, my immediate area still holds its zone 10A classification. Without the frost, I suspect the damage would be negligible

Here in the DC region winter isn't over yet and we had wind chill last night that I guess would be low-teens to single-digits.

Looks like it'll end up typical for maximum low (personally was 4F in zone 7a), but cold for average temperature. Seemed like it was below average almost all winter. Except of course when I was in San Diego and they had below-average temps and rain there. :angry:

Almost as important in this area are the late-Winter early-Spring warm-ups followed by cold blasts. Two years ago that was a big problem in the SE. The Tennessee gardeners really got hit--sounds like there was dieback of even a lot of native plants.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

thank you very much bubba for this report is very interesting. and is much work for you.

one comment - florida keys you say are true carribean, remember is most very far north limit for many tropical plants common in the area of carribean sea. compare temperatures of key west with san juan puerto rico, kingston jamaica, virgen islands - key west is much more colder of averages in the winter (like 7-8 degrees fahrenheit) and the most coldest minimum temperatures (like 25 degrees fahrenheit).

to find real tropical weather all the year and the best examples of tropical carribean plants you need go more south.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristobal,You are correct about true tropics and pan-tropics.No way any place in Florida compares with 10 degree latitudes.That stated, Key West has an annual average temperature of 78F,which is 2 degree's warmer than Honolulu and makes it the warmest city in the US.This, notwithstanding the fact, that Honolulu is more than 3 degrees latitude further South than Key West.

thank you very much bubba for this report is very interesting. and is much work for you.

one comment - florida keys you say are true carribean, remember is most very far north limit for many tropical plants common in the area of carribean sea. compare temperatures of key west with san juan puerto rico, kingston jamaica, virgen islands - key west is much more colder of averages in the winter (like 7-8 degrees fahrenheit) and the most coldest minimum temperatures (like 25 degrees fahrenheit).

to find real tropical weather all the year and the best examples of tropical carribean plants you need go more south.

Cristobal, are you sure about this? Key West has never dropped below 41F. So in order for these places to have a minimum 25F warmer than Key West, they should have never dropped below 66F. I find it hard to believe Kingston, San Juan, etc. have never dropped below 66F. San Juan has dropped to at least 60F before, and I bet a cold front has made it as far south as Jamaica before. Wasn't Havana Cuba in the upper 40s once this winter?

hi jim,

we can compare for months january and february most lowest minimum temperatures

NOAA NCDC NWS

Threaded Climate Extremes for Key West Area, FL

Period of record: 1872 - 2008

Date Lowest Minimum Temperatures (degrees F)

Top Record 2nd Record 3rd Record

1/1 51 in 2001 51 in 1918 53 in 1895

1/2 47 in 1898 50 in 1918 51 in 2008

1/3 45 in 2008 46 in 1898 49 in 1877

1/4 46 in 1918 48 in 1928 50 in 2002+

1/5 46 in 2002 46 in 2001 49 in 1918

1/6 49 in 1879 50 in 2001 52 in 1999+

1/7 48 in 1879 54 in 2001 54 in 1985

1/8 50 in 1970 53 in 2006 53 in 2002+

1/9 47 in 1951 48 in 1996 50 in 2003+

1/10 45 in 1996 48 in 1970 48 in 1958

1/11 48 in 1970 49 in 1959 49 in 1886

1/12 41 in 1886 48 in 1981 48 in 1927

1/13 41 in 1981 51 in 1886 52 in 1941+

1/14 47 in 1981 50 in 1948 50 in 1902

1/15 47 in 1964 48 in 1948 48 in 1931

1/16 48 in 2006 50 in 1978 50 in 1927

1/17 53 in 1983 53 in 1981 53 in 1977+

1/18 48 in 1981 51 in 1977 52 in 2003

1/19 48 in 1997 48 in 1977 50 in 1981

1/20 46 in 1997 48 in 1977 49 in 2003+

1/21 46 in 1971 49 in 2003 50 in 1985

1/22 49 in 1985 51 in 1977 51 in 1944+

1/23 52 in 1961 52 in 1942 53 in 1985+

1/24 45 in 2003 50 in 2005 50 in 2001+

1/25 49 in 1940 50 in 2001 51 in 2003+

1/26 44 in 1905 50 in 2005 52 in 1940

1/27 44 in 1905 46 in 1940 52 in 1981+

1/28 43 in 1940 47 in 1986 51 in 1938

1/29 45 in 1940 46 in 1986 49 in 1928

1/30 47 in 1940 49 in 1978 50 in 1966

1/31 47 in 1966 51 in 1978 54 in 1976+

2/1 47 in 1909 54 in 1980 54 in 1940+

2/2 50 in 1980 52 in 2003 52 in 1951+

2/3 44 in 1917 50 in 1951 51 in 1942

2/4 46 in 1958 47 in 1917 51 in 1981+

2/5 45 in 1996 45 in 1958 52 in 1980+

2/6 49 in 1966 50 in 1917 52 in 1978

2/7 48 in 1978 53 in 1917 54 in 1995+

2/8 49 in 1895 52 in 1922 54 in 1958

2/9 48 in 1995 49 in 1895 50 in 1899

2/10 49 in 1895 51 in 2000 51 in 1995

2/11 50 in 2000 51 in 1973 53 in 1978+

2/12 51 in 1973 51 in 1955 51 in 1926

2/13 48 in 1955 48 in 1899 51 in 1996+

2/14 44 in 1899 48 in 1958 50 in 1996

2/15 49 in 1985 52 in 1916 54 in 1943+

2/16 53 in 1991 54 in 1920 55 in 1985+

2/17 46 in 1996 51 in 1958 53 in 1991+

2/18 45 in 1996 50 in 1958 52 in 1896

2/19 50 in 1996 51 in 1928 51 in 1900

2/20 52 in 1958 52 in 1900 53 in 1960+

2/21 51 in 1958 51 in 1908 54 in 1926+

2/22 51 in 1978 55 in 1940 55 in 1901

2/23 48 in 1978 50 in 1940 56 in 1999+

2/24 53 in 1901 54 in 1989 55 in 1964

2/25 51 in 1989 52 in 1901 55 in 2002+

2/26 49 in 1967 50 in 1989 51 in 1986

2/27 46 in 1989 51 in 1986 51 in 1974

2/28 50 in 1935 54 in 2004 54 in 2002+

2/29 55 in 1952 56 in 1924 57 in 1908

+ indicates same value also occurred in a previous year.

NOAA NCDC NWS

Threaded Climate Extremes for San Juan Area, PR

Period of record: 1916 - 2008

Date Lowest Minimum Temperatures (degrees F)

1/1 66 in 1957 66 in 1953 66 in 1951

1/2 64 in 1984 66 in 1957 66 in 1953+

1/3 67 in 1984 67 in 1963 67 in 1957+

1/4 63 in 1965 65 in 1959 67 in 1989+

1/5 63 in 1956 66 in 1970 66 in 1953

1/6 63 in 1959 66 in 2006 67 in 1986+

1/7 64 in 1963 65 in 1965 67 in 1969+

1/8 63 in 1957 64 in 1965 64 in 1956

1/9 62 in 1960 63 in 1917 66 in 1976+

1/10 63 in 1917 64 in 1964 65 in 1956

1/11 62 in 1965 63 in 1963 64 in 1960+

1/12 63 in 1965 66 in 1986 66 in 1985

1/13 65 in 1960 65 in 1951 66 in 1968

1/14 66 in 1961 66 in 1956 67 in 2001+

1/15 64 in 1956 66 in 1985 66 in 1957

1/16 62 in 1958 63 in 1956 64 in 1955

1/17 65 in 1959 65 in 1956 65 in 1955

1/18 65 in 2000 66 in 1956 66 in 1954

1/19 66 in 2000 66 in 1962 66 in 1961+

1/20 64 in 2000 64 in 1961 67 in 1991+

1/21 62 in 1956 63 in 1960 65 in 2000+

1/22 64 in 2005 66 in 1991 66 in 1988+

1/23 62 in 1958 65 in 2005 66 in 1988

1/24 62 in 1958 63 in 1956 66 in 2006+

1/25 62 in 1968 63 in 1956 65 in 1958

1/26 63 in 1956 65 in 1958 66 in 1986+

1/27 63 in 1986 64 in 1958 65 in 1960+

1/28 62 in 1965 64 in 1960 65 in 1956

1/29 64 in 1964 65 in 1960 66 in 1984+

1/30 63 in 1965 63 in 1954 66 in 1977+

1/31 61 in 1962 63 in 1964 64 in 1958

2/1 65 in 1965 65 in 1961 66 in 1960

2/2 64 in 1961 64 in 1917 65 in 1958

2/3 63 in 1917 64 in 1961 65 in 1960+

2/4 65 in 1964 66 in 1968 66 in 1961+

2/5 62 in 1968 64 in 1964 64 in 1951

2/6 62 in 1968 64 in 1967 64 in 1961

2/7 62 in 1968 64 in 1999 66 in 1991+

2/8 63 in 1968 65 in 1961 65 in 1960

2/9 65 in 1968 66 in 1986 66 in 1961+

2/10 65 in 1962 66 in 1957 66 in 1917

2/11 63 in 1961 64 in 1957 65 in 1956

2/12 64 in 1957 64 in 1956 67 in 2005+

2/13 62 in 1917 64 in 1957 65 in 1960+

2/14 66 in 1958 66 in 1953 67 in 1986+

2/15 62 in 1962 64 in 1965 64 in 1958

2/16 63 in 1962 63 in 1957 64 in 1986

2/17 62 in 1962 64 in 1960 64 in 1959

2/18 64 in 1962 65 in 1960 66 in 1957

2/19 64 in 1960 65 in 1968 65 in 1959

2/20 65 in 1959 66 in 1999 66 in 1965+

2/21 65 in 1957 66 in 1969 66 in 1956

2/22 62 in 1956 64 in 1969 65 in 1965+

2/23 64 in 1956 64 in 1951 65 in 1969

2/24 64 in 1951 65 in 1959 66 in 1960

2/25 65 in 1969 65 in 1962 65 in 1959+

2/26 62 in 1956 63 in 1969 64 in 1960

2/27 64 in 1958 66 in 1969 66 in 1953

2/28 65 in 1956 66 in 1958 67 in 1963+

2/29 63 in 1956 67 in 1988 68 in 2000

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

and also compare most lowest maximum temperatures:

NOAA NCDC NWS

Threaded Climate Extremes for Key West Area, FL

Period of record: 1872 - 2008

Date Lowest Maximum Temperatures (degrees F)

1/1 58 in 1918 61 in 2001 62 in 1895

1/2 58 in 1898 59 in 1928 63 in 1964+

1/3 55 in 1898 56 in 1900 58 in 1928

1/4 57 in 1918 58 in 1928 59 in 1892+

1/5 60 in 2001 60 in 1999 61 in 1911

1/6 60 in 1919 61 in 1878 62 in 1980+

1/7 60 in 1892 62 in 2006 62 in 1931

1/8 59 in 1970 59 in 1905 61 in 1892

1/9 57 in 1970 57 in 1951 58 in 1996

1/10 55 in 1970 56 in 1886 57 in 1978

1/11 55 in 1886 59 in 1978 61 in 1981

1/12 54 in 1886 55 in 1981 61 in 1987+

1/13 54 in 1981 59 in 1918 59 in 1886

1/14 56 in 1891 61 in 1964 61 in 1902

1/15 53 in 1948 57 in 1964 60 in 1931+

1/16 58 in 1905 60 in 1892 60 in 1878

1/17 59 in 1893 61 in 1886 62 in 1981+

1/18 57 in 2003 57 in 1981 58 in 1959

1/19 60 in 1981 60 in 1901 61 in 1997+

1/20 57 in 1879 59 in 1971 59 in 1893

1/21 60 in 1960 60 in 1931 60 in 1893

1/22 56 in 1985 57 in 1960 59 in 1961

1/23 60 in 1902 62 in 1988 63 in 2001+

1/24 56 in 2003 59 in 1960 61 in 2005

1/25 60 in 1940 61 in 1891 63 in 1981+

1/26 51 in 1905 61 in 1977 61 in 1951+

1/27 56 in 1905 60 in 2000 60 in 1978

1/28 52 in 1940 60 in 1986 60 in 1978

1/29 56 in 1978 56 in 1897 58 in 1940

1/30 56 in 1978 61 in 1955 63 in 1973+

1/31 62 in 1966 63 in 1909 64 in 1930

2/1 59 in 1909 61 in 1901 61 in 1900

2/2 61 in 1980 62 in 1942 63 in 1979+

2/3 53 in 1917 57 in 1951 62 in 1981+

2/4 54 in 1958 59 in 1951 60 in 1980+

2/5 55 in 1966 58 in 1886 59 in 1996

2/6 57 in 1917 61 in 1978 63 in 1912+

2/7 57 in 1978 59 in 1912 60 in 1889

2/8 53 in 1895 61 in 1912 63 in 1951

2/9 52 in 1895 58 in 1995 61 in 1899

2/10 59 in 1895 60 in 1947 60 in 1941

2/11 59 in 1902 61 in 1978 61 in 1973+

2/12 59 in 1955 61 in 1902 62 in 1878

2/13 61 in 2006 61 in 1895 63 in 1996+

2/14 58 in 1899 61 in 2006 62 in 1910

2/15 61 in 1960 62 in 1943 62 in 1916+

2/16 62 in 1920 62 in 1894 63 in 1895

2/17 59 in 1977 60 in 1996 62 in 1895

2/18 61 in 1896 62 in 2004 62 in 1900

2/19 55 in 1900 56 in 1958 63 in 1969+

2/20 59 in 1958 62 in 1978 64 in 1972+

2/21 60 in 1901 62 in 1978 63 in 1958+

2/22 60 in 1978 63 in 1940 64 in 1901

2/23 60 in 1978 62 in 1940 63 in 1964

2/24 63 in 1989 64 in 1978 64 in 1973+

2/25 60 in 1989 65 in 1969 65 in 1968+

2/26 62 in 1974 62 in 1900 63 in 1967

2/27 62 in 1920 62 in 1891 66 in 1979

2/28 62 in 1942 62 in 1935 62 in 1908

2/29 66 in 1984 69 in 1924 69 in 1892+

Threaded Climate Extremes for San Juan Area, PR

Period of record: 1916 - 2008

Date Lowest Maximum Temperatures (degrees F)

1/1 78 in 1917 79 in 2005 80 in 1965+

1/2 77 in 1917 78 in 1966 78 in 1956+

1/3 79 in 1917 80 in 1966 80 in 1965+

1/4 77 in 1917 79 in 1965 80 in 2004+

1/5 77 in 1963 78 in 1917 79 in 1965

1/6 77 in 1998 78 in 2008 78 in 2004

1/7 77 in 1959 77 in 1956 78 in 1917

1/8 78 in 1965 78 in 1917 79 in 1979+

1/9 78 in 1986 78 in 1952 78 in 1917

1/10 79 in 1955 79 in 1917 80 in 1971+

1/11 76 in 1970 77 in 1951 78 in 1917

1/12 78 in 1917 79 in 1952 79 in 1951

1/13 76 in 1959 77 in 1951 78 in 1952

1/14 76 in 1970 78 in 1959 78 in 1951

1/15 78 in 1962 79 in 2000 79 in 1970+

1/16 74 in 2000 77 in 1962 77 in 1917

1/17 77 in 1917 78 in 2000 78 in 1952

1/18 73 in 2000 77 in 1951 78 in 1917

1/19 78 in 2000 78 in 1981 78 in 1958+

1/20 78 in 2005 78 in 2000 78 in 1969+

1/21 74 in 1977 76 in 2008 79 in 2005+

1/22 78 in 1955 79 in 2006 79 in 2005+

1/23 75 in 1977 77 in 1968 78 in 1917

1/24 77 in 1953 78 in 1917 79 in 1997+

1/25 78 in 2005 79 in 1993 79 in 1917

1/26 76 in 2005 77 in 1969 78 in 1995

1/27 79 in 1969 79 in 1917 80 in 2006+

1/28 75 in 2006 79 in 1958 79 in 1917

1/29 77 in 2006 77 in 2001 78 in 2008+

1/30 77 in 2005 77 in 1917 78 in 1972+

1/31 76 in 1956 77 in 1987 78 in 1969

2/1 75 in 1997 76 in 1956 77 in 1999

2/2 76 in 2006 77 in 1956 78 in 1917

2/3 77 in 2005 78 in 1963 79 in 1958+

2/4 76 in 1917 77 in 1992 77 in 1968+

2/5 78 in 1917 79 in 1955 79 in 1951

2/6 78 in 2005 78 in 1970 78 in 1955

2/7 76 in 1966 78 in 1990 78 in 1917

2/8 77 in 1917 80 in 2005 80 in 1966+

2/9 78 in 1965 79 in 2005 79 in 1980+

2/10 76 in 1954 78 in 1984 78 in 1953

2/11 77 in 1952 78 in 1966 79 in 1965+

2/12 75 in 1962 78 in 1917 79 in 1965+

2/13 76 in 1952 77 in 1951 78 in 1917

2/14 77 in 1998 78 in 1952 78 in 1951

2/15 78 in 1979 78 in 1961 78 in 1917

2/16 79 in 2005 79 in 1999 79 in 1951+

2/17 77 in 1989 78 in 1951 79 in 1954+

2/18 78 in 1965 78 in 1951 78 in 1917

2/19 77 in 1951 78 in 1917 79 in 1991+

2/20 75 in 1969 77 in 1951 78 in 2007+

2/21 77 in 1917 78 in 2004 78 in 1958

2/22 77 in 1958 77 in 1917 78 in 1973

2/23 77 in 1955 77 in 1917 79 in 1980+

2/24 77 in 1917 79 in 1969 79 in 1951

2/25 77 in 1969 78 in 1951 79 in 1955+

2/26 78 in 1951 79 in 2002 79 in 1969+

2/27 77 in 1968 77 in 1967 78 in 1951+

2/28 78 in 1917 79 in 1985 79 in 1951

2/29 78 in 2004 81 in 1976 81 in 1952

YOU CAN SEE IN THIS, ALL THE DAYS OF LOWEST MAXIUMUM TEMPERATURES IN JANUARY FEBRUARY IN KEY WEST ARE IN 52 - 62 FAHRENHEIT.

IN SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO THE DAYS OF LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES IN JANUARY FEBRUARY ARE UPPER 70S - THIS MORE WARMER THEN AVERAGE HIGH TEMPERATURE IN KEY WEST IN SAME MONTHS.

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO IN JANUARY - FEBRUARY IS 7 -8 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT MORE WARMER THEN KEY WEST.

Edited by Cristóbal