IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis

Guest LeftCoastAngler

Guest LeftCoastAngler

I wonder if this seed is viable? They were really blue/blackish in color.

This specimen was on Lithia Pinecrest Rd. & St.Rd.60 in Brandon, FL.

I look forward to my two footers reaching this size! :)

~LCA.

CIMG4788.jpg

CIMG4790.jpg

CIMG4791.jpg

CIMG4792.jpg

They look like they will be viable to me, given the size and shape of them.

I have seen them somewhat more blue than that though.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

They look hot to trot, as they used to say, back in prehistoric times . . . .

be prepared to wait a while before your little ones get that large. Figure another 20-30 years. They're slow, unless someone corrects me (I'm talking California growth rate)

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

thats a nice one.

I got a nice 5 gallon for $5. 4 individual plants in it. its going on my south side.

they are probably faster when not planted as multiples as they compete for water and nutrition.

seeds germinate easily when fresh.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

thats a nice one.

I got a nice 5 gallon for $5. 4 individual plants in it. its going on my south side.

they are probably faster when not planted as multiples as they compete for water and nutrition.

seeds germinate easily when fresh.

Frito separate yours!

Another year, and you'll have a lot more palms, and more palms are always better than fewer, yes? Like more dollars, euros, marks, yen, kwan, etc. etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

this puppy is pretty rootbound, you know how they are at Lowes with the roots circling the bottom of the pots. looks like medusa hair in there.

I like them multi planted. long as I throw tons of 'nutes' on it and flood it in warmer months she'll do good!

speaking of multi planted chinensis, all I ever see is mature SINGLES, however I only ever seen them sold as multis with godonlyknows how many seeds per pot.

anyone have a mature multi planted chinensis so I can see what I am getting myself into?

Edited by FRITO

Luke

63" rain annually

be prepared to wait a while before your little ones get that large. Figure another 20-30 years. They're slow, unless someone corrects me (I'm talking California growth rate)

Dave, based on the ones I have seen down here, that is 10 years growth in Louisiana, 15 at the worst.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this puppy is pretty rootbound, you know how they are at Lowes with the roots circling the bottom of the pots. looks like medusa hair in there.

I like them multi planted. long as I throw tons of 'nutes' on it and flood it in warmer months she'll do good!

speaking of multi planted chinensis, all I ever see is mature SINGLES, however I only ever seen them sold as multis with godonlyknows how many seeds per pot.

anyone have a mature multi planted chinensis so I can see what I am getting myself into?

Luke, I am disappointed with the multi planted chinensis I am growing. The 5gal pot had 5 plants in it, all about the same size. Planted the group in ground in 2001. One became dominant and quickly out grew the other 4. Today the dominant palm has 11' of trunk, 2 trunks @ 1.5' and 2 @1'. I think to get a good multi look one will need to plant singles spaced in a group at least 1.5' apart. Scott

Dave,

how fast are they growing in Californian conditions? here we have cool summers and long winters. on avarage they grow only 3 new fronds a year....

the other Livistona's like L. australis, L. nitida, L. decora are much faster.

nope, no picture....but there are multi headed L. chinensies.

recently Kev spence posted a picture of such a L. chinensies on the EPS forum...

it looks like the trunk hard to see in the rear is becomming more dominate. This photo is over a year old I will need to get an updated one to see how it has progresded.

Luke

63" rain annually

Here's a picture I took several years ago of a multiple planting of L. chinensis near my folks' old house in Oviedo, FL:

116_1639.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are at least 5 palms in that clump. The one on the right and the one on the far left are about the same size. There is one set back from those two between them that is a bit smaller. If you look closely, you can see some fronds near the base on the left and right sides, and those are from two smaller trunks.

Edited by Frank - Knoxville

• 11 years later...

Sorry for possible derailing this but I'm wondering if green seeds will germinate like is a case in Phoenix sp.?

IMG_20201009_135443.jpg

Edited by dalmatiansoap

10 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Sorry for possible derailing this but I'm wondering if green seeds will germinate like is a case in Phoenix sp.?

IMG_20201009_135443.jpg

I collected green seeds like in the photo from a tree here in the town. They always over trim this tree so I didn't want to wait in case I wouldn't find any. I cleaned the seeds and I planted them around April in the pots in just normal soil from my garden. Almost all of them germinated (about 70) but I let only about 15 to grow. I grow them in full sun but I try not to let the soil dry out because they fry badly in our hot summers. When they are bigger they should establish in the sun better just like the tree I collected them from.

20201010_094128.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, Stelios said:

I collected green seeds like in the photo from a tree here in the town. They always over trim this tree so I didn't want to wait in case I wouldn't find any. I cleaned the seeds and I planted them around April in the pots in just normal soil from my garden. Almost all of them germinated (about 70) but I let only about 15 to grow. I grow them in full sun but I try not to let the soil dry out because they fry badly in our hot summers. When they are bigger they should establish in the sun better just like the tree I collected them from.

20201010_094128.jpg

How long did it take to get to this size?

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

1 hour ago, Hortulanus said:

How long did it take to get to this size?

They were grown from seeds in 2017, so a bit more 3 years to get to this size.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stelios said:

They were grown from seeds in 2017, so a bit more 3 years to get to this size.

That's quite fast imo!

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

2 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

That's quite fast imo!

And I was affraid is a bit slow. That gives me hope to see them trunking in the nearest future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stelios said:

And I was affraid is a bit slow. That gives me hope to see them trunking in the nearest future.

I'm positive about that. If they are not slowing down then it shouldn't take much longer!

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 2/14/2009 at 2:29 PM, Guest LeftCoastAngler said:

I don't think I've seen any full grown multi-trunks of the chinesis.

Anyone got any pics of a larger multi-trunked one?

~LCA.

I have some doubles that have developed trunks.

IMG_20221227_170701.jpg.3f1b9bd0fe584c22bfbd77bb85a1ea1e.jpg

IMG_20221227_170720.jpg.593271272e7d17ae5c6b02290f0fa7a3.jpg

IMG_20221227_172228.jpg.8534f0c65579f082784e340e80d7a04f.jpg

IMG_20221227_172253.jpg.cc5f7b71edcfc3f270628ccb73c6c324.jpg