IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Indoor care for licuala mapu

texaspalms

I replied to another post with these questions and suppose that it should be different topic instead:

Since mapu is so humidity sensitive and tropical in total nature, what can be done to raise them inside when a greenhouse/conservatory is no option?

I have a mapu seedling, and while humidity is no issue on the upper Texas coast, winters can see frost fairly regularly in my 9b location. Outdoors in no optoin, therefore, either.

Is it possible or should I just pray?

I replied to another post with these questions and suppose that it should be different topic instead:

Since mapu is so humidity sensitive and tropical in total nature, what can be done to raise them inside when a greenhouse/conservatory is no option?

I have a mapu seedling, and while humidity is no issue on the upper Texas coast, winters can see frost fairly regularly in my 9b location. Outdoors in no optoin, therefore, either.

Is it possible or should I just pray?

Why not create a mini-greenhouse by inverting a clear storage bag over the plant to maintain that humid atmosphere? I do that with my tropical palm seedlings and germinating seeds I am keeping indoors for the winter. You can also set the mapu pot on a tray filled with rocks & water. Be sure to monitor the plant carefully for signs of fungus, remove the bag for short periods to allow fresh air circulation.

Anyone else have ideas?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I am acutally doing that very thing (bags over plants) for seedlings I have indoors. This works well. Would the mapu demand such coverage for its entire life? That could pose a problem. Perhaps building a small PVC framed, clear plastic covered tent for it may give it what it needs. :huh:

Care for a Licuala mapu of any size indoors must include good air circulation and watering. A plug-in humidifier works good for increasing the amount of moisture in the air and any old box fan would be fine for moving the air around. You will also need a decent light source.

Ryan

South Florida

A frequent solution is a humidity tray--a tray with rocks in it, covered in water. I came up with a homemade large solution this winter--a pair of 3' long concrete-mixing tubs topped with a pair of 6' long closet shelves. Used in the garage with a grow light, can't really say how well it's working, though, as the temps in the garage seem to be an issue.

Lots of plants nearby might raise the humidity.

Little decoractive waterfalls can raise humidity.

I have a humidifier added on to the central heating system. The house doesn't feel humid with it, but I guess it would be drier without it. It seems to be enough for a pair of Cyrtostachys renda, which also want humid conditions. I spray them some, but go through periods where I forget. Both are by windows with lots of light.

-edit-

Here's a photo of the homemade big humidity tray:

post-763-1234468520_thumb.jpg

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

PiousPalms Posted Today, 03:44 PM

Ryan, did your mapu's seed make it thru the moving and cold weather?

Yes, the seed is still attached and the plant itself didn't suffer any damage that I can tell.

Ryan

South Florida

If you have your heating on for long periods during colder weather, you will find that the humidity will continue to drop, even if you keep the temperature constant. If the heating is on for a long time with low temperatures outside, it could drop to 20% or less, but 30-40% is more common. A portable humidifier will probably only add 10-15% at 40% and a little more, if the normal humidity is lower and is also reliant on being refilled every 12-24 hours. A larger air conditioning unit would offer better results, but at much higher cost and many of those are limited to a maximum humidity of 60-65%, although there may be better options available in the US. A closed atmosphere, like the bag idea, is a much easier way to achieve higher humidity, but not ideal for plants that are sensitive to fungus. At some point you would have to remove the bag and the sudden change to dry air is unlikely to have good results. The best bet may be a semi-enclosed atmosphere, like the bag, but with lots of ventilation to allow sufficient air transfer. Ideally you would need a reasonable amount of air movement, so you would want to raise humidity in the room as well as inside the ventilated bag/container. If you use the tray with rocks and water idea, it would be better to have a heat source below, to encourage the moisture to evaporate and to increase the air temperature inside the ventilated container, so that the air an hold more moisture.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

• 3 months later...

My mapu seem to thrive indoors! At least for now...

The humidity is above average in my living room because of my aquarium. Everyday about 3/4 of a gallon evaporates off into the living room air out of the aquarium.

Here's one of my seedlings...

post-1050-1242765161_thumb.jpg

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

It summer in the northern hemisphere. I'd get another palm for inside and keep the L. mapu outside while it's warm. Why take the chance of losing this beauty indoors? I'd take the suggestions already given but do that only when the weather forces you to do so. Texas should be warm enough for this palm 7-8 months of the year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B