IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie summer weather reports

Tyrone

This is one for the aussies. With all the cold weather threads flying around I thought it would be nice to discuss Oz weather somewhere. Of course others from other areas are welcome to join in.

We've had some crazy weather this year so far, so let us know how you're going?

Over here in the wild west it's been amazingly humid from about mid January. It's rare to see a day even in the high twenties. This morning I woke to a 23C min with a 22.2C dewpoint or 94% relative humidity. The sun is up and there's a humid haze everywhere. It's going to be an incredibly sticky 38C today.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I heard a report (here in the US) that certain parts of Australia were to hit 40C for a record number days in a row and that things were quite serious. Any update?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hi Tyrone,

Here in Port its been hot and dry for the last month or so having to use the sprinklers to keep my rainforest looking good. Hope it rains soon or I will be having a hefty water bill. My coconut palm is recovering from last winter and starting to look better. The coconut seed that took close to two years to germinate is starting to power along. It still amases me that it even germinated and made it through one of the coldest winters we had last year.

Lipstick looking good but sure is a slow grower down this way. Iam heading up to Brisbane in a couple of weeks and will be buying some palms, any suggestions on ones I should keep a look out for?

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

The weather has been great!!! Very unpredictable, but we have enough rain.... unlike town people. We don't get as much rainfall as normal, which is better because the rain that we actually get... actually soak in. Everything is growing like weeds, including the weeds of course... but can't complain. This is definitely the BEST time of the year for us gardeners in Darwin.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Tyrone,

Here in Port its been hot and dry for the last month or so having to use the sprinklers to keep my rainforest looking good. Hope it rains soon or I will be having a hefty water bill. My coconut palm is recovering from last winter and starting to look better. The coconut seed that took close to two years to germinate is starting to power along. It still amases me that it even germinated and made it through one of the coldest winters we had last year.

Lipstick looking good but sure is a slow grower down this way. Iam heading up to Brisbane in a couple of weeks and will be buying some palms, any suggestions on ones I should keep a look out for?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, it's great to hear from you. I'm glad your coconut is coming back and that self sown one is just amazing. My Dwarf Malay is just going mental over here.

As far as palms to look out for in Brisbane, I don't know what you already have, but if you don't have one yet, get a Carpoxylon, in fact just get a dozen. They're awesome and mine are doing well. Also Beccariophoenix alfredii is another great grow. Do you have a Clinostigma savoryana? I have one seedling but if I could get something bigger I would try it here. Do you have a Satakentia? They're slow but grow fine for me. Also Acanthophoenix any species would be a good one to get too.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

As I mentioned in another thread Adelaide has faced the blowtorch with 6 days in a row above 40C (105 F).

Last Thursday was the worst, here it is at intervals during the day-

6am 97 F

9am 99 F

10am 101 F

12pm 105 F

2pm 107 F

3pm 110 F

5pm 109 F

6pm 108F

8pm 102 F

So far 28 deaths have been attributed to the heat,mostly elderly people.

Kentia palms that I have had for many years are burnt.

Surprisingly Rhapis in shade are OK.

20 year old ferns are barbecued.

Adelaide, South Australia

Classic Mediterranean climate

Zone 10a, maybe zone 10b

After a very humid 36C yesterday and dewpoints never far from 20C we woke up to fog and mist and heavy condensation this morning as we got very close to 100% humidity or the dewpoint. This doesn't often happen in summer over here. It's going to be a sticky 34C today. Palms are loving it.

Best regards

Tyrone

As I mentioned in another thread Adelaide has faced the blowtorch with 6 days in a row above 40C (105 F).

Last Thursday was the worst, here it is at intervals during the day-

6am 97 F

9am 99 F

10am 101 F

12pm 105 F

2pm 107 F

3pm 110 F

5pm 109 F

6pm 108F

8pm 102 F

So far 28 deaths have been attributed to the heat,mostly elderly people.

Kentia palms that I have had for many years are burnt.

Surprisingly Rhapis in shade are OK.

20 year old ferns are barbecued.

Alan,

Similar results: all the Rhapis I have are OK, parts of leaves of sun acclimated Howeas fried yellow, not just brown .

Trouble is, its not just palms its many many trees, autumn is coming prematurely and canopies are thinning with February still to run.

Ferns ...............these were fried instantly. Even ones in shade

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I will see if I can get the Carpoxylon and Satakentia I have the other two.

Thanks

Mike

The weather has been great!!! Very unpredictable, but we have enough rain.... unlike town people. We don't get as much rainfall as normal, which is better because the rain that we actually get... actually soak in. Everything is growing like weeds, including the weeds of course... but can't complain. This is definitely the BEST time of the year for us gardeners in Darwin.

Hi Ari,

I planted out the Pritchardia pacifica seedling next to the lipstick as I dont expect the lipstick to be long term and if Iam going to keep providing heat to the lipstick I may as well use it for the Pritchardia as well, I believe there is a good chance that this one will do reasonably well at my place.

Cheers

Mike

I will see if I can get the Carpoxylon and Satakentia I have the other two.

Thanks

Mike

Good to see that they germinated for you... I hope they will grow well for you. If you can grow lipstick palms, pitchardia pacifica shouldn't be a problem.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Man,i can't believe i'm saying this but i wish it would stop raining here, at least for a week or two!. Had 81mm in one hour the other day and it's been showering on and off every day since. all up i've had close to 200mm. I wish some of it would head south to our fellow palmtalk aussies as they desperately need it there....here's hoping. Anyway i can't complain too much as most of the palms are growing their heads off!.....Cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

I guess it is a bit hard to do work in the rain for you Mike.... I love the rain, especially 10-20mm a day - just to keep everything wet and moist. No rain today though, hopefully there would be some tonight.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just saw on the news there are 59 separate bushfires burning in NSW today, 10 of them out of control. Looks like it will be an eventful day for a lot of people down there. 25 people died in the Victorian fires yesterday.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Horror fires in Victoria...

Horror floods in North Queensland...

Good luck to you all, our prayers are with you.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

46.4c in Melbourne yesterday-remarkably an all-time record.

With winds gusting to 100 km/h down there, no wonder 35 people have died.

In NSW there are some problems, but winds aren't nearly as strong here, so we're not in the same league.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

WOW . it actually stopped raining for about an hour this morning .. I managed to do a lap around the garden and pull some weeds out .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I am so sorry :o Australia is getting lots of attention worldwide.

46.4C is 115F and deadly. July 2006 produced 119F\ 48.3C in suburb of LA [over 100 dead mostly in Northern California].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The death toll from the fires in Victoria have reached 65 with many more expected. Over 500 houses have been lost.

The worst bushfire crisis in Victorian history.

Just an awful, awful weekend..I don't really have the words. Please think of these people in your prayers. :(

-Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

WOW . it actually stopped raining for about an hour this morning .. I managed to do a lap around the garden and pull some weeds out .

Michael, I saw that two people drowned near Tully, good luck to you and don't bother with my lipstick till after things subside please.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The fires have been an absolute nightmare. The news here is constantly airing updated info on the fires and it's all bad news. Whole towns have been wiped out. 600 plus houses gone, and there are some areas that the authorities haven't got into yet. Fire authorities expect the fires to not be out for at least a week. It's a nightmare.

Best regards

Tyrone

I can't believe the lack of news coverage on the Australian fires in the USA. I get more news on Palm Talk than I can from TV. At last count 85 people dead and all I've seen was a 15 second segment on CNN last night. Nothing this morning. Politics is all they can talk about here.

Horrible to hear people are being burned in thier cars. One thing we learned with the California fires, when a car enters super heated air, all of the oxygen is depleated, and the engines stall out from lack of oxygen, and then the people are stranded. What a terrible way to go.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Some of the fire trucks don't get out in time, they realise that so they stop and the fire rolls over them after they cover themselves in fire blankets inside the cabin. The trucks themselves must have special coating you would think.

Some fires are still running wild and some of them were deliberatley lit they are saying.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I can't believe the lack of news coverage on the Australian fires in the USA. I get more news on Palm Talk than I can from TV. At last count 85 people dead and all I've seen was a 15 second segment on CNN last night. Nothing this morning. Politics is all they can talk about here.

Horrible to hear people are being burned in thier cars. One thing we learned with the California fires, when a car enters super heated air, all of the oxygen is depleated, and the engines stall out from lack of oxygen, and then the people are stranded. What a terrible way to go.

Dick

Yes, it has been found that if you are near these fires with a running car to NOT SHUT IT OFF. It is very difficult to restart when the air is so sparse. (Obviously in the middle of fire, too late)

I hope the rain heads south, but unlikely I suspect. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dick

The Weather Channel has been following the disasters in Australia w/ good footage of the fires/ flood.

Fire is very much part of our world in California also :( Is it primarily wind-driven or temperature\ lack of humidity?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The areas that have been hit by bushfires do have very heavily wooded areas with large Mountain Ash Eucalypts. Some of the Eucalypts are massive big trunked old growth things. Due to the drought it's all dried out, but normally this area of Oz has some moisture in summer, but not for the last few years. So you have all this enormous mass of vegetation ready to explode. Add 80kph hot winds, 48C temps and the odd arsonist or two and you have a very deadly disaster. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Over 100 confirmed to have perished in Victoria now, and potentially more in areas that cannot yet be accessed, making it Victoria's worst bushfire disaster.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Watching the news and praying for you out there....wishing for your well being.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

I wish you guys all the luck over there. It is so terrible what is happening. Cars are melting with people inside, and some absolutely horrible pictures are emerging. The smoke is drifting across the Tasman, and there was a large smoke haze over us today.

We are thinking off you over here, keep well!

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

The areas that have been hit by bushfires do have very heavily wooded areas with large Mountain Ash Eucalypts. Some of the Eucalypts are massive big trunked old growth things. Due to the drought it's all dried out, but normally this area of Oz has some moisture in summer, but not for the last few years. So you have all this enormous mass of vegetation ready to explode. Add 80kph hot winds, 48C temps and the odd arsonist or two and you have a very deadly disaster. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

It was on the front page of the paper today - which I just saw.

OMG

A horror. They say some of these fires - this is beyond words, really - some of them going so fast, they can't be outrun, not even in a car.

May God have mercy on the poor souls anywhere near these fires. and no mercy whatsoever on the ones who set them.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It's going to be a hot dry 39C today. It'll probably reach 41,42C here.

Tyrone

Authorities are worried that the Victorian fires will combine into a single front soon. :(

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5006785,00.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...132-601,00.html

regards

Tyrone

Time will tell, but preliminary indications are that most of the howeas I have seen, although scorched, will make it.

These are an outstanding palm. They are quite drought tolerant, handle our sun when trunked, and will grow in the deepest shade.

Mine are mostly growing in dappled shade or part sun, and are much more damaged than the full sun adapted ones I have seen.

The catch is this. In our area they have to have a trunk and be well adapted before you plant them in full sun.

Some I have seen are obviously "emergent" That way they develop a trunk before hitting full sun.

chris.oz

Other palm reports after the 3 days of 46+ heatwave:

Bismarkia..... full sun not a mark

Brahea armata .... full sun no problem

Phoenix species .... slight burn

Ravenea glauca, sun adapted.. Fried

Brahea edulis , part shade, early shedding old leaves

Pritchardia : Fried.

Hedyscepe in shade: some fried leaves.

The big surprise for me: Lytocaryum weddelianum. Open position morning-midday sun. Not a mark on them.

chris.oz

Chris, I'm so surprised at your Ravenea glauca, but I suppose they'd never see 46C on the Magic Island. Also your Lytocaryum sounds bullet proof. Who would have thought.

Miccles has told me that his H belmoreana's are pushing spears though totally defoliated, as well as his Nikau which was crisped right up.

I hope you never see those temps/conditions ever again, and I'm glad milder, more sane summer weather has headed your way. All you need now is some decent rain and you're on the road to recovery. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Well it's been consistently hot almost monotonous weather here. Nothing below 30C for a long while. I could do with some rain to break the monotony. Mid week we dip down to cold mid twenties with a chance of rain then back up to the thirties again. They're forecasting almost zero rain in March for our area. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Still raining ,, records show 2.3 meters so far this year . So an avg. of 42mm/day approx .

Been planting out lots , tomorrow for your big 'Lippy' Wal .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

We probably have half of yours, Michael... but it has been very consistent this year... almost every day we get rain... We are still planting like crazy too.... I wish it was long weekend every weekend.

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's been raining almost every day here too. Too much really. Everything is really soggy...can't mow because it's too boggy. Palms are lovin' it though!

Ari, I can't even cross the creek, and it is so muddy over there, I will never be able to put a bobcat on it!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!