IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold air headed for Florida midweek

SubTropicRay

Here are the predicted lows for the FAWN station around the state-----

Tonight's Minimum Temperature Estimates

Predicted from temperature and dewpoint estimates at the time of sunset.

Station Sunset (EST) Tair °F Tdewpoint °F Est. Min Tair °F Est. Min Tair muck °F

Alachua 5:55 PM 41.1 18.1 20.7 14.4

Apopka 5:54 PM 43.9 16.8 22.8 16.3

Arcadia 5:58 PM 46.3 27.6 26.7 20.7

Avalon 5:54 PM 44.9 14.9 23.4 16.7

Balm 5:58 PM 44.7 30.5 25.9 20.1

Belle Glade 5:54 PM 48.5 27.8 28.7 22.5

Bronson 5:57 PM 42.7 13.3 21.3 14.7

Brooksville 5:57 PM 38.4 20.4 18.8 12.7

Carrabelle 6:04 PM 41.8 25.6 22.5 16.6

Citra 5:55 PM 45.1 12.5 23.2 16.4

Clewiston 5:55 PM 50.4 26 29.8 23.5

Dover 5:58 PM 43 24.6 23.4 17.3

Fort Lauderdale 5:53 PM 51.2 28.7 31.1 24.9

Frostproof 5:55 PM 47.6 26.3 27.5 21.3

Fort Pierce 5:51 PM 48.2 19.6 26.9 20.3

Hastings 5:51 PM 45.7 22.4 25.3 19

Homestead 5:55 PM 51.7 32.7 32.4 26.3

Immokalee 5:57 PM 51 28.9 30.9 24.7

Jay 6:12 PM 42.1 22.3 22.2 16

Kenansville 5:53 PM 43.9 18.6 23.1 16.7

Lake Alfred 5:55 PM 46 17.9 24.8 18.2

Live Oak 5:56 PM 41 16.5 20.4 14

Macclenny 5:53 PM 40 16.2 19.5 13.1

Marianna 6:04 PM 42.7 22.6 22.8 16.6

Monticello 6:00 PM 41.3 16.9 20.7 14.3

North Port 5:59 PM 46.1 35.9 28.2 22.7

Ocklawaha 5:55 PM 43 12.4 21.5 14.8

Okahumpka 5:55 PM 44.8 13.2 23 16.3

Ona 5:58 PM 45.6 26.5 25.9 19.8

Palmdale 5:56 PM 49.5 27 29.3 23.1

Pierson 5:52 PM 41.3 19 21 14.7

Putnam Hall 5:54 PM 41.4 16.2 20.7 14.3

Quincy 6:02 PM 42.1 16.9 21.4 14.9

Sebring 5:55 PM 48.7 19.8 27.3 20.7

Umatilla 5:54 PM 42.9 22.7 23 16.8

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Dejavu all over again!

Well, this could be the coldest night since January 5, 2001, when I had my all-time low of 22 degrees (radiational cooling event) and it destroyed my garden.

Weird thing, at 9 P.M. is was more than 3 degrees colder in Homestead than at my place in the Lake Placid cold pocket.

I noticed that it is running 4-5 degrees colder at this time tonight than last night.

I suspect after tonight the USDA will once again have to revise their zone map for Florida. I suspect the frost line will once again plunge farthr south.

It's now 37.9 degrees at 10:17 P.M. This doesn't bode well.

Mad about palms

Well as of 9:30 I have fallen below freezing here, 31.6F. I can't bring myself to look at it anymore!

It is going to be a long COLD night. :(

Now I know why there are so many queen palms in central Florida!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I just checked Homestead, Florida, FAWN and it's 33.45 degrees just before 10:30 P.M.! Things don't look good for all of Florida.

Mad about palms

my meter hit freezing around 10:15 pm. I am at 31.5 as of 10:30pm. about the same time I hit freezing last night.

high of only 47 today..... cant believe how far south this cold is extending.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Okay I have to get this off my chest, it's no secret how I feel about weathermen.

But last night,or tonight was on NONE of the weather services 5 day advance forecast!

As of very early yesterday morning (1/13) last night was supposed to be the coldest night, then a little better tonight, then tonights forecast just kept getting colder and colder. I am still forecast by some to go below freezing Thursday night now.We were supposed to be out of the woods by tonight,now we are not out even by Thursday night.

This event caught them totally by surprise,and with their pants down,and only reaffirms my observation that weathermen can't forecast themselves out of a paper bag! just sayin!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Larry--

Just looked up the data for Tarpon and the record low maximum temp for 21 January is 48, set in 1940. Congratulations!

Best of luck tonight to you and everyone in FL...your record low for the 21st is 22F (1985) and for the 22nd is a mere 30F. Let's hope you don't go anywhere near that 22! This is a nasty high-pressure center, it was just east of here last night and we had 9 hours below freezing but only hit 27.7F. Lots of places directly under the dome were in the teens. Progs show it centered just north of Cedar Key in the a.m. Watch out!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

We hit 32 degrees at 8:30. It is now 31 degrees in open exposed NW side. In a sheltered location it is 35 degrees. The weather forcast on the 11:00 news just said it will be a devastating freeze of 7-9 hours duration west of I95 and the Turnpike . 3-4 hours on the East side. I guess that's all she wrote. :(

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

What's up with the readings from McDill AFB? It's reading 34F @ 9PM, which is the NWS point forecast low for the base!!!???

I checked that on the NWS. Gotta be wrong.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I am curious. Do most South Florida homes have central heating? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not but, since you obviously don't need it a heck of a lot, I was just wondering. We have it here but it is expensive to run since it runs off of electricity in my part of town. It was on during for a couple of weeks during our cold spell in December.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I can't believe how cold it is down there..... I sure can feel for you guys.... I just got back home and it's currently 22f here on Long Island, but I have (4) plastic tents setup with everything heated - I'd be freaking out if it was uncovered... The only saving grace is that you guys will rebound after sunrise very quickly tomorrow.. It's that awful time between when the sun first rises that I've noticed the coldest temperatures.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

This is very, very bad folks! The forecast trend is getting lower even yet. The weather channel just said 23F for Melbourne of a low!

Brevard County, Fl

Right now it looks like the National Weather Service has either not revised their forecast for the entire state, or Brevard County is especially going to get hit.

Brevard County, Fl

We bottomed out here last night at 29 degrees and a super hard frost. Projected low tonight of only 40 and warming up after that. Florida runs a day behind us, but I just have a hard time believing that it will be that bad outside of North Florida. At least I hope not. Good luck guys.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

...Same bat time -- different bat channel...it's 34 degrees here at 12:45 AM (it was 48 at this time last night). This morning the temp bottomed out at 37 (right after sunrise) so there's still a little while to go -- however, for some reason, it doesn't "feel" like it's going to get that much colder (but the forecast earlier was for 29).

I did spend 3 hours covering things and bringing in a ton of potted stuff -- does anyone here know if it is necessary to tape over the drainage holes on planting pots when using them to cover up plants on cold nights? (I guess I "showed my hand" that I didn't do it...). I've got a "plethora" of coverage items (plastic garbage cans, plastic plant pots, cardboard boxes, and sheets) so I'm curious if some types will protect better than others -- this is the first protection I've done this winter so everything has seen 39 numerous times and 37 or 38 a couple times -- I'm sure too many cold dips will impact them so hopefully this is the "last blast" for ol man winter! (although my stuff in the garage will be staying inside for at least one more night after this one -- maybe two)

Good to hear that it's already warming up in Louisiana -- maybe we'll get warmer here quicker than what was predicted...

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Yes we do. We need it alot our blood is a bit thin. Glad I took pics a few weeks ago before things got ugly. I got 34f at 1:30.

I am curious. Do most South Florida homes have central heating? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not but, since you obviously don't need it a heck of a lot, I was just wondering. We have it here but it is expensive to run since it runs off of electricity in my part of town. It was on during for a couple of weeks during our cold spell in December.
Edited by tikitiki

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

As of 11PM it was 32.0F at my house in Maitland. I hastily covered a few palms which I had left uncovered yesterday expecting 30F for tonight. I heavily wrapped a 15 foot single trunk Areca triandra in Christmas lights to about half way up the crownshaft since I can't get any higher, I hope it survives! I noticed something odd with my 12 foot Bismarck. About the outer 1/3 of every (huge) leaf has been nipped by last night, the affected area looked dried out and grayish tan. I wonder if I have a more tender than normal Bismarck as I have noticed this some before. My 30 foot Roy. borinquiana looked about 40% burned by last night and my nearly equal size Roy. regia showed no damage, yet.

Since earlier in the night many south Floridia FAWN stations are now reporting about 4 degree higher temperature readings.

Right now I'm reporting 29.8 degrees at 2:57 A.M. At this rate I may well see 25 degrees by sun up. If so, it will be my second most lowest freeze in 11 years here. This should set back my garden for years.

Mad about palms

I just checked some FAWN weather towers and noted, to my surprise, that there is little or none air stratification typical of most radiational freezes here. The temperature is virtually the same at 2 meters above ground level as it is at 10 meters above ground level. At the Hastings FAWN the temperature is actually 3 degrees colder at 10 meters than at 2 meters. On past radiational freezes I've seen air temperature differences between 2 and 10 meters range from 7 to 14 degrees. I don't think I will ever understand the physics at play here. Each radiational freeze is always different.

Mad about palms

I had 32F as early as 10:00pm Wednesday night, my 6-month old baby boy woke me up at 2:00am for a bottle, and looking out the window it reads 30F outside! Finally got him back to sleep (an hour later), and its still 30F outside. I hope it doesnt get any colder outside, (prediction is 27F) either way im sure there will be ALOT of brown plants in Tampa Bay this week, as nobody saw this one coming!!! :blink:

Still i still cannot believe south Florida has the same temps as me, and some look colder than what i have!! :huh:

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Larry--

Just looked up the data for Tarpon and the record low maximum temp for 21 January is 48, set in 1940. Congratulations!

YAY! What a wonderful record to set :mrlooney: Im glad something was accomplished yesterday!

Sitting at 35.2F here at 420AM according to my Davis Vantage Pro weather station, so not too bad even though there still remain ~3-4 hours of cooling left.

I see that the warmest areas of Pinellas (downtown St Pete and St Pete Beach) are 42-44F at this hour, so theyve really lucked out.

Larry 

In south FL, many homes just have heat pumps. In central FL, many homes also just have heat pumps, but with backup electric heat strips.

I happen to have natural gas in my area, so we have gas heat, and believe me....my wife has it BLASTING right now!

Larry 

I've been below 32 since 3:30 am, it's 5:30 now & it's 32.4 :rage:

I can see the cars covered in frost. I haven't looked out back yet but I suspect my landscaping may change after this one. Every source I checked online dropped the ball on this one. Can I sue? :angry::hmm::lol:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Still above freezing in most of Dade and Broward at 5:30 AM, per AM news recording stations. Coldest temp so far was Kendall at 34, Homestead 36. Warning, objects outside may be colder than indicated!!

I actually expected worse, but still a couple hours to go.

Best of luck to all!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Still above freezing in most of Dade and Broward at 5:30 AM, per AM news recording stations. Coldest temp so far was Kendall at 34, Homestead 36. Warning, objects outside may be colder than indicated!!

I actually expected worse, but still a couple hours to go.

Best of luck to all!

Wx-radio announced a hard freeze for all of W. Central FL except Pinellas and Lee counties! ACK!

At 5:00, our therm (not a hi-tech one) showed 37. No ice in the water in the birdbath. Car windshield had a bit of ice, but nothing else did. NWS had forecast our low to be 37, so it might have been. The two closest reporting stations to us on wx-underground showed 34 in Pinellas Park (always colder than us) and nearby Disston Heights reported 39. They are at 62' elevation; we are at 44'. Pinellas Park is lower.

We plugged in the Christmas lights as the temp could still drop.

About the central heat - we don't have it. We have a wall unit with heat which we use a few nights a year, and that's all we need. Mostly we use the wall unit for A/C.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Looks like the urban heat island helps again in Orlando, OIA dropped to 31 and went back up a bit, and the exec. airport hasn't even hit freezing. A far cry from mid 20s. The airports readings are usually not that representative of the area as a whole, especially during radiational cooling nights. Also looks like the temps at alot of the personal weather stations in the area are on the rise.

Looks like the urban heat island helps again in Orlando, OIA dropped to 31 and went back up a bit, and the exec. airport hasn't even hit freezing. A far cry from mid 20s. The airports readings are usually not that representative of the area as a whole, especially during radiational cooling nights. Also looks like the temps at alot of the personal weather stations in the area are on the rise.

Yeah, I noticed that Orlando Exec (Sanford, right?) is two degrees warmer than Coral Springs in Western Broward, now sitting at 31F. Looks like Orlando may be better off than farther south.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Been up since five and the temp has been holding steady at 36.4. Looks like maybe the heat island effect from Lake O. has been helping me here. Just praying for the sun to come up QUICK!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

We plugged in the Christmas lights as the temp could still drop.

Yeah...that funky big temp drop right after sunrise we were discussing earlier!

Here are some images to the wunderground sites around the area...its easier to show pics that to list the various temps-----

post-200-1232623457_thumb.jpg

Larry