IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold air headed for Florida midweek

SubTropicRay

Weatherunderground now says the following for central Cape Coral (where I live):

Wed. 7 a.m.: 36F 10 a.m.: 45F

Thurs 7 a.m.: 34F 10 a.m.:50F

Weather.com has these lows:

Wed: 37F

Thurs: 33F

Awfully close to freezing. But we have tented and spotlit the L. grandis.

What a mess. Enough already.

Meg-

As long as you have the L. grandis under canopy, you have nothing to worry about. I have seen them in yards that have hit 28 without any damage.

Looks like the semi-peninsular effect may save me from freezing temps, coldest night in the 35-37 range.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hi All,

I don't think it will be that bad like others say. I know its going to be chilly to cold depending on location. one thing I noticed is how people

overestimates there palms on events like this and i did and it turns out the palms did fine a few cold spots on the leaf. In a nutshell

its very frustrating and sleepless nites when we have cold/chilly weather like this we can't control it. If you take good care of your palms

they will come out of stressful times like back in 08 we had cold dry winds and the temp fell to mid 30's and the palms had hardly any damage at all that

time worrying about them proven to me they are tuff enough to handle this so relax and watch and pre-pare and believe in your palms

My forecast is as of 16:10

NOAA 40/38/42

weather 40/39/45

accu 41/37/40

wunder 40/38/40

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Hi All,

I don't think it will be that bad like others say. I know its going to be chilly to cold depending on location. one thing I noticed is how people

overestimates there palms on events like this and i did and it turns out the palms did fine a few cold spots on the leaf. In a nutshell

its very frustrating and sleepless nites when we have cold/chilly weather like this we can't control it. If you take good care of your palms

they will come out of stressful times like back in 08 we had cold dry winds and the temp fell to mid 30's and the palms had hardly any damage at all that

time worrying about them proven to me they are tuff enough to handle this so relax and watch and pre-pare and believe in your palms

NOAA 40/38/42

weather 40/39/45

accu 41/37/40

wunder 40/38/40

Matthew,

Thats easy for you and Bren to say, with those forecasted temps you guys have compared too.....!just sayin! :winkie::lol:

I wouldn't be to worried about this event at all, if I hadn't of had to put a 20 foot Foxylady,and and a 9 foot Kentiopsis oliviformis in the ground in late October.Was really hoping to make it through this winter with out a freeze,so they would have a whole year to get rooted in before next winter,alasthat isn't going to happen, so I'll hope for the best.

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Congrats, but hardly fair :rolleyes:

I just looked up my zip code 33704 in N.E. St. Pete

Wed/Thur Fri

Weather Underground 38/45/49

Weather.com 41/42/48

NWS 41/41/50

Accuweather 40/40/48

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Scott--

Don't worry about your Foxy Lady and Kentiopsis. I have a very small (8" tall) Foxy Lady in a slightly protected position against a SE wall, it has handled a number of freezes this year, one being to 24.1F and 14.5 hours below freezing (advective) last week, as well as a 27F advective and a few 28-31F radiational events. No damage in the least! Also the Kentiopsis, I have a three-leaf 1gal-size plant under light canopy, it is a bit less hardy, it endured the 9.5-hour 27F freeze and got only about 5% tip-burn. Because of that 27F tip-burn, I buried it in mulch to protect it during the 24F event as it was so small...but both of these will laugh at a 31F freeze, unless perhaps you have frost settling on the leaves. You have no frost forecast in Titusville, as this is an advective freeze, and only projected to be 31F for one hour and with a dewpoint of 23F. These palms are tough, chill-tolerant and freeze-tolerant plants, even as tiny specimens.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Well, I didn't mean to be cocky because I am still hesitant. Most sites show a currant temp of 50 and it really is about 47 at the moment. We all know that one or two degree difference can make all the difference. :huh:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

this s**ks.

For Lealman, wunderground had 40 tonight, 38 tomorrow night (and we all know that can drop). NWS had the same. But we have a Freeze Watch, bleah.

Husband is pulling all container plants in, as many as we can fit in here. We had a number of them out on the deck last night, and the wind blew a couple over on some palm seedlings.

Btw, a couple of months ago, I got a semi-dead orchid for a buck at Lowe's just in case it could be salvaged. Yesterday, it surprised us with two pretty maroon flowers. Yeah, in mid-January.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Well, I didn't mean to be cocky because I am still hesitant. Most sites show a currant temp of 50 and it really is about 47 at the moment. We all know that one or two degree difference can make all the difference. :huh:

Same thing here...47.3F at 815PM. Those lousy airport readings are always optimistic!

NWS is predicting 38F for 34689 tonight, yet just for yucks I went back to weather.com and they are saying 30F for the same zipcode! I guess we shall see........

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hi All,

NOAA 40/38/42

weather 40/39/45

accu 41/37/40

wunder 40/38/40

Everyone take a deep breath and repeat: I believe, I believe, I believe...........

I feel better already (no joke)

Christian, you have reassured me on my Licuala. Can you say the same about my mummified Areca concinna.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thought I'd see what is going on in the panic room tonight! 48.0F here at around 9:20 PM tonight. NWS has me forcast for 33F tonight and 31F tomorrow night with frost tomorrow night. yuck. If the wind stays this strong and from this same general direction (NW) all night tonight then I highly doubt it will hit 33 here tonight. That being said, tomorrow night is likely to be colder than forcast for me, I am expecting that I will hit 29F with frost tomorrow night if it gets as clear and still as they are predicting. I haven't covered anything this time around. Most everything is pretty much too big to cover now so we'll see what happens. Good luck everyone! And rememeber, worst case scenario is that we get to do a lot of planting this spring which actually could be fun since I might do things a little different the second time around.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The fridge door is open now and the cold air has been givenits opportunity to move way South! we'RE AT 56 already, (at9:55 EST) so 40-something seems probable. I just covered the breadfruits and I'm ready to "face" these next two lousy mornings! A'int it great?? "NO!!" :unsure:

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

i can hope you have some clouds come in tonight and tomorow night to keep the temperatures more higher. some times this can happen when they say the sky is to be clear. some high clouds even can help 1-3 degrees fahrenheit and this can be important. i feel bad for my friends in florida i hope no body loses plants and palms and the damages are little. good luck !

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Good luck out there...We all go thru it at one time or another.. :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On-site reporter here (about 50 miles south of Tampa and 5 miles from the coast) -- 48 degrees at 12:45 AM (doesn't look too bad so far -- at least for tonight...keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes: )

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

This sucks. I was really hoping we'd make it this year without a freeze. I'm at 33F right now. Everything's too big to cover. The only encouragement I have is that my Royal experienced 27F last year with very minimal damage afterwards. Of course maybe my digital sensor just wasn't that accurate. It's not supposed to go below 30 here for both nights. Good luck, everyone.

Manuel Montesino

Cypress Gardens - Winter Haven, FL

The Chain of Lakes City

Avg. High: 84F; Avg. Low: 63F; Avg. Precip: 50 in.

Elevation: 150 ft.

i can hope you have some clouds come in tonight and tomorow night to keep the temperatures more higher. some times this can happen when they say the sky is to be clear. some high clouds even can help 1-3 degrees fahrenheit and this can be important. i feel bad for my friends in florida i hope no body loses plants and palms and the damages are little. good luck !

BS Man said,

Good luck out there...We all go thru it at one time or another..

Thank you both for the well wishes. This is a nail-biter. We didn't protect anything in the ground, and I hope we get through this without going below 35.

Our Freeze Watch has been replaced with a Freeze Warning, both for Wed. AM and Thurs. AM. Yet NWS shows my area (Lealman) with a low of 38. On wx-underground there are no reporting stations close to us, so I have to use the nearest, which is Pinellas Park, usually a couple of degrees colder than us. It is currently reporting 41.

Jimbean said,

This looks like it is going to hit the east coast harder than the west

Very true. Out of curiosity, I went to the NWS map and checked an area on the east coast which has a lattitude close to ours, "5 Miles S Palm Bay." We're at 27.84 N lat; they're at 27.9 N. Their low Wed. night is forecast to be 27 with frost, compared to our 38. That's quite a difference. Oh, and Melbourne Airport is currently reporting 32F. brrrr.

I really hope this is the last bad scare we get this year. Time will tell.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Not so bad this AM.....

Bbefore I went to bed, I rechecked the forecasts and NWS still said 38F, but weather.com dropped their forecast to 30F! So, I wasnt sure what to expect this AM.

At ~6AM, my yard is hovering ~38F, so although things might drop a little bit more before sunrise, it looks like tonight wont freeze.

Larry 

I don't want to talk about it.

It has been below 32F since 3:30 AM, as of right now 30.3F ,which will bottom out just after sunrise lower than that! :rage:

Major differential between east coast and west coast this morning, I wonder what the conditions are that it is close to 10 degrees warmer in the Tampa, St.Pete area?

Seems even south of there on the west coast is cooler?

And tomorrow morning is forecast even colder. :(

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

What a difference a mile or so makes......take a wild guess which reading is mine :lol:

EDIT - Cant get the screen shot to show up.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

I wonder what the conditions are that it is close to 10 degrees warmer in the Tampa, St.Pete area?

I dunno, but I recall seeing the same thing happen in reverse on some other nights. I think it has something to do with where the high happens to plunk itself down?

Larry 

Ack! Just went outside to see how it felt and I saw that my neighbor is running his sprinklers right along the side of my yard that is common with his. As such, the entire Croton hedge (~75 ft long) I have planted along that property line is getting drenched! Fortunately.....no icicles yet :P

Larry 

I wonder what the conditions are that it is close to 10 degrees warmer in the Tampa, St.Pete area?

I dunno, but I recall seeing the same thing happen in reverse on some other nights. I think it has something to do with where the high happens to plunk itself down?

Larry,

That makes sense, I see you have cloud cover also which would trapping in the heat. Crystal clear over here,not a low cloud or high cloud to be seen,unfortunately! :blink:

Just curious did the wind lay down over there,or did it stay up over night as predicted?

The wind pretty much died over here.

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

34.5 at my place with a 5mph NE wind under some cloud cover. Not as bad here as I was fearing.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Just curious did the wind lay down over there,or did it stay up over night as predicted?

The wind pretty much died over here.

Scott-

The winds over here were supposed to stay brisk and from the NW all night. But, by ~2AM, they shifted to the NE, and then the temp started to drop at a pretty good clip (from ~45-46F at 1-2AM down to ~37F now at 7AM). The winds didnt completely die down in my yard, but they got fairly gentle (~1-4 mph), with a few stronger gusts here and there.

I have a feeling tomorrow AM will be a bit more brutal than today, as the air is not forecast to warm up all that terribly much through the daylight hours.

But, in any case, Im not worried as the worst case is I get to plant a few new things! This wietr surely is a test of Prichardia hardiness as this thing has really been put to the test this year with long spells of cold weather.

Larry 

West Palm Beach "cold hole" airport says 36F. Our office thermometer in PB down the street from the Beach says 41F at around 6:30AM. We got some clouds on the Stream but it is cold. I think tomorrow is Ice Station Zebra!

What you look for is what is looking

41F here in Pompano Beach at 7AM. The 25 degree difference from yesterday AM is the hardest thing to take.

Best of luck to those folks farther north and inland, especially tomorrow AM.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

33.8F this morning...brrrrr!!! The wind went more northeasterly at some point last night and tanked my temps. Tonight promises to be the real test for the garden though.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

It stayed 35+ degrees last night which was 3 degrees warmer than predicted but tonight will be even colder according to all I can find.They are predicting 27 tonight so I'm expecting to be close to freezing but its the frost that concerns me the most. Good luck to all

David

At ~6AM, my yard is hovering ~38F, so although things might drop a little bit more before sunrise, it looks like tonight wont freeze.

The temps have dropped notably since 6AM.......at 740AM, its now down to 35.0F in my yard, with a few more tenths likely to go.

It always seems as though the temps drop after sunrise.....anyone know why this is?!?!?!?

Larry 

37F here thanks to clouds and wind off the Gulf. The wind, at least at the mid levels, stayed NW to NNW all night. Tonight, the other shoe drops with calm winds and no clouds. Just how hardy is Old Man Palm foliage?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The wind went more northeasterly at some point last night and tanked my temps.

Same here Bill......once the winds shifted NE (~2AM), the temps dropped fast over here. If they stayed NW (as they were forecast), it would have been nice and toasty!

Larry 

We got some clouds on the Stream but it is cold.

Please send some of that stuff up here please :mrlooney:

I think we just may need it tonight!

Larry 

I am out of town but looked at the FAWN netwrk for Pierson ( just a bit south of me ) 27.5 F a far cry fromn the 24 predictions ---I may still have blossums on my orchid tree whten I get home

Best regards

Ed

Right before the sun rose my thermometer read 35F here in zip code 33462... I didn't make much preparation and am second guessing my decision now...

I remember hearing discussions about two different kinds of cold blowing into Florida (convective or adjuctive or something of the like), which kind ws this, the bad one or the less than bad one?

At my place in Wellington the low was hit at 6am - 37deg. Weatherundergound predicted 36deg based on my PWS data. What sucks is tonight they are predicting 33deg for my area and 29deg for Loxahatchee Groves. This is one time I would like them to be very wrong!

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

A few 10ths of a degree below 32 here this morning. There is a thin sheet of ice on a plastic table that I keep outside for potting, but no ice in bromeliad cups. Just a few hours slightly below freezing this morning is not too bad. Thursday morning is of greater concern as well as the duration of all this - will it be below freezing again on Friday morning? Brrrrrrrr . . . .

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA