IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strong Santa Ana Winds

KMartin

My staff writer wrote this up. Please be advised that if you live in the wind prone areas to protect your trees. I have taken my steps to do so. Here is a pre-caution. Take this as advice if you need advanced warning on these strong winds and need the info to protect.

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - January 6, 2009 (SocalWeather.Org) Hurricane Force Santa Ana Winds Set To Pound Southern California

Growing concerns that damaging Santa Ana Winds are about to hit Southern California prompts a Santa Ana Wind Watch.

The Southern California Weather Authority has issued a Santa Ana Wind Watch effective this Friday until next week. The Santa Ana Wind pattern is upon us and we will most likely see damaging winds in the area. The weather authority issued a press release on January 4, 2009 that spoke of the event. Project UJEAS ES1 handled the event well and the "in the cards" system worked nicely again.

"Right now I am speaking with many people right now how to prepare for damaging winds. "said Kevin Martin, of the Southern California Weather Authority. "Estimations that hurricane force wind gusts is what we are going to be dealing with in the populated areas. We have not seen these speeds since October 2007 and they are certainly not uncommon. Still this is the type of event we need to warn ahead of time. We've issued the watch three days in advance, which should give tree growers and anyone needing to know the conditions coming up ample time to prepare.

The Santa Ana Wind Watch issued by the weather authority states that 100 mph wind gusts will be likely in the prone areas. High profile vehicles are urged to heed this warning and take extra precaution. The Rocketry Organization of California (ROC) will be heading up to Lucerne Valley for their monthly rocket launch activities on Saturday. Martin urges them to take caution driving up the Cajon Pass. The organization trusts the forecast of the weather authority. "I give them my all and support the hobby, "said Martin. "I'm warning them now that if they are driving a high profile vehicle through the Southern section of the Cajon Pass on Saturday morning, they will be in danger from very strong winds."

Martin is no stranger to giving warnings with such wording. He isn't afraid to push to save the lives of the public and has done so in the past.

The Santa Ana Winds are returning, with vengeance.

JTY

SoCalWeather.Org Staff Writer

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Ouch. Time to hunker down I guess.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You get strong Satan Anga's in winter? :(

Bad combination.

These will tend to dry everything out. Do you water a bit during these events? We sometimes get strong persistent easterlies in winter that are dry and drive the rain away, and during these times I water in the morning once the sun is up, so that by the night the ground has dried off a bit, so the palms aren't sitting in cold damp soil all night, just moist soil. At least this way they can have a little bit of a drink because those winds will dessicate anything especially at the speeds they're forecasting for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ah, yes!

We water, weater, and water some more.

And pray for the [expletive] wind to stop!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm sure the Inland Empire, ie Riverside County will be howling. I'm wondering how far west the strong winds will come. In Oct. '07, when we had some really bad fires I had just started planting stuff and those winds, along with sun acclimation, set the whole new garden into a winter of crispy brown foliage.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

SD Coastal. The winds dynamics are very strong this time.

--------------------

thanks to let us know for the winds make many problems for us in tijuana. in 2003 or 2004 i forget the year we have no electricity for one week. and theres always many fires in the city in any day of the santa anas. where i live is probably the best microclimate for the low temperatures but is the most worse place for santa anas i think, when they are very bad theres many breaked windows and trees falling. i lose my 3 cocos nucifera of 3 meters high with trunks when i transplant them and than after we have 1 week of very bad santa anas. this for me is the most worse disaster of the palms to happen to me.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Agree with Cristóbal that strong off-shore winds during winter wreak havoc with palm trees. The dangerously low humidity that accompany these "devil" winds dessicate vegetation & the high winds bend palm fronds all out of shape. Normally my location is less effected by the worst of the winds but the aridity yellows some palms already damaged by the recent cold temps. :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

My palms are not going to fair well if I don't watch them carefully. I live in the flow of these winds and the numbers I am seeing are that of the strongest type of Santa Ana Wind pattern.

Low to the East for upper support, and surface high 1045mb over the Great Basin. 22mb pressure difference on top of thermal support. Yow, lol.

--------------------

So far, no problems in the OC.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Should be arriving in just over two days.

--------------------

The name was being slandered and had a lot of weight. Also OWS was Ontario Weather Service and confused some to Canada, lol. The new one pertains to Southern California better.

--------------------

When you first posted this, none of the online weather sources were forecasting this. Now weather.com has me in for 20-30 mph winds from Saturday through Monday.

My king palms have gotten to big to bungee the crowns. They will get whipped for sure.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I'm fearing I'll see hurricane force where I live in my section of Corona. I'm prepared though and everything is "hopefully secure"

--------------------

Thanks for the advance warning Kevin. I'll make sure things are staked well.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I feel for you guys. Unless the winds are getting over 90, most of your palms will come through fine. I personally would not stake any tall palms unless it was recently planted. My experience with staking was that it tends to make the crowns blow out in hurricanes since the palm can't naturally move to absorb some of the wind force.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I feel for you guys. Unless the winds are getting over 90, most of your palms will come through fine. I personally would not stake any tall palms unless it was recently planted. My experience with staking was that it tends to make the crowns blow out in hurricanes since the palm can't naturally move to absorb some of the wind force.

Excellent advice :greenthumb:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Not good news. The silver lining, if there is one, is that temps will be skyrocketing up. However, that old adage "yeah, but it's a dry heat", doesn't work well for palms. The most sun exposed fronds on my veitchias got fried with the Santa Ana's we had in November.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Not good news. The silver lining, if there is one, is that temps will be skyrocketing up. However, that old adage "yeah, but it's a dry heat", doesn't work well for palms. The most sun exposed fronds on my veitchias got fried with the Santa Ana's we had in November.

Wish I could pin down exactly what starts the yellowing process! 2 veitchias began to slow growth in November but have been on the usual downward cycle since the cold weather hit like a hammer last month. Because of where they are located, these palms are mostly protected from wind. I also have kept watering lightly every other week & that may have actually accelerated the spotting :unsure:

A High Wind Watch has been issued for some damaging winds esp inland valleys [ie. San Bernardino] Places like Laguna Peak in Ventura co. could clock wind gusts over 100mph but who lives atop a high mountain?

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Looks like NWS followed my lead. Will be going santa ana wind warning today for the public as it is the final 24 hours.

--------------------

Nice work Kevin!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thank you for the updates Kevin.

I've had my weather station for a year now and it's been fun to see some of the weather graphically. Here is something interesting I just noticed, as the Santa Ana's are beginning to pick up and the temperature is rising, the dew point is dropping like a rock. I've never noticed this before. Also the humidity is dropping off like a rock as well, from 85% at 9am to 32% right now at 10:44am. I guess it's to be expected with the winds.

post-1261-1231526028_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Perfect example of downsloping. Winds rushing down the mountain slopes to your East is causing them to warm up, thus drying up, creating that effect. Got it here as well. The signal the winds have arrived.

--------------------

Hmmmm, I guess this is what the desert usually experiences 99% of the time. The winds shift so now we're the desert for a day or two.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Excellent analogy MattyB. Kudos:)

--------------------

No winds all weekend. A couple gusts Saturday afternoon, barely noticeable. Dry and warm though.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

We're not out of the woods, so to speak, but the winds haven't been too bad in most places. Santa ana winds are picking up tonight & tomorrow should be fairly windy as the day progresses but, for the most part, this santa ana event hasn't been too windy. Temps could push 90F in places tomorrow but with rock-bottom humidity it should feel fine. I watered extensively today/ Sunday & may need to irrigate again toward the end of the week if it remains extremely dry [currently 16% humidity tonight :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

have a friend who lives on palomar mountain....she said the winds there were over 100 miles per hour for the last two days....taking out power and causing general havoc.

The wind started late Friday 01/09/2009 at about 12:30. Most of the SoCal folks were asleep. I would say that it was pretty strong, about 30-45 mph. By morning it was pretty weak. It did pick up a little during the day but not much.

have a friend who lives on palomar mountain....she said the winds there were over 100 miles per hour for the last two days....taking out power and causing general havoc.

That is some rippin wind. It's funny, I can see the Palomar Observatory from my house and the max I saw was 12mph. It is starting to get a bit breezy here as I type.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I had absolutely no wind all weekend! Which is strange because I always have a steady breeze blowing up the west facing canyon. I guess the off shore flow was just weak enough to stop the wind at my place. I was shoveling dry manure and I didn't have to make sure I was standing on the up wind side (to keep it from blowing in my eyes) because there was no wind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ecxcellent Matty, no hot air blowing whilst you were shoveling the manure.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Here's the data up until yesterday/ Sunday:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

245 PM PST SUN JAN 11 2009

...OBSERVED PEAK WIND GUSTS...

WIND GUSTS FOR THE PERIOD

BEGINNING: 10 AM PST FRI JAN 09 2009

ENDING: 2 PM PST SUN JAN 11 2009

INLAND EMPIRE...

ONTARIO AIRPORT................53 MPH

PALM AVE ES SAN BERNARDINO.....53 MPH

CORONA AIRPORT.................51 MPH

BEAUMONT.......................50 MPH

CHINO AIRPORT..................49 MPH

MIRA LOMA......................49 MPH

DEVORE.........................46 MPH

TEMECULA.......................46 MPH

MORENO VALLEY..................38 MPH

RIVERSIDE AIRPORT..............37 MPH

SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS...

FREMONT CANYON.................73 MPH

EL CARISO......................51 MPH

CASE SPRINGS...................47 MPH

ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS...

TONNER CANYON..................54 MPH

ORANGE.........................52 MPH

JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT.............39 MPH

IRVINE.........................38 MPH

FOOTHILL RANCH.................32 MPH

RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS...

RANGER PK......................83 MPH

ANGELUS HILL...................80 MPH

INDIAN MTN.....................66 MPH

BERNADETTE.....................66 MPH

POPPET FLAT....................59 MPH

VISTA GRANDE...................42 MPH

KEENWILD.......................41 MPH

SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS...

BOULDER CREEK..................81 MPH

DESCANSO.......................69 MPH

SANTA YSABEL/INAJA.............65 MPH

GUATAY.........................65 MPH

CAMPO..........................53 MPH

PINE HILLS.....................53 MPH

CAMERON FIRE STN...............50 MPH

KITCHEN CREEK..................49 MPH

JULIAN.........................41 MPH

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS...

ALPINE.........................66 MPH

POTRERO........................51 MPH

SAN VICENTE....................47 MPH

COTTONWOOD (5W POTRERO)........44 MPH

VALLEY CENTER..................42 MPH

RAMONA AIRPORT.................39 MPH

POWAY..........................35 MPH

RANCHO BERNARDO................35 MPH

SCV

EXPIRE DAY:01/13/09

TITLE:PEAK WIND GUSTS

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well if Happs numbers are good, I am going to have to go on record and say that the weatherunderground sites,even the MADIS sites aren't worth looking at.

As I looked at the tabular data for quite a few sites around the cities mentioned,for the days mentioned,and I could find nothing even close to the wind gusts he is stating?

Either those numbers are for the mountains or mountain passes, or places where there are no underground sites even remotely near, or the wind instruments asscociated with the weatherunderground sites aren't capable of recording those speeds,and posting the data?

Just sayin!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

i can say we have no wind in south tijuana in these days and in my area we always have very bad santa ana winds. may be im to far south for this time ?

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Got reports that Yucaipa had a 103 mph wind gust during this event that did damage, and ruined personal weather stations. They always get the winds.

We've been getting blasted here non-stop in the Corona Hills. Still are right now.

Some got wind, other did not. Usually this is the case with these winds. However the main reason Tijuana didn't see the stronger gusts would probably be that the high was almost due North of here. You need the High NE of here in UT/CO for those winds to reach that area due to direction.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Kevin

You over stated your forecast by predicting "hurricane force winds over populated areas" which did not occur except the usual mountains peaks. I posted the data from the NWS showing moderately strong santa ana winds in various locales, but as you can see most regions hardly noticed this event.

I am exposing the message I sent you a few days ago so that other palm growers know of my concern that sensationalism is fine on a weather nerd site that meteorologists post & debate on. But it is irresponsible to post your forecast without qualifying that it is strictly "your" interpretation of the models that may be at odds with certified meteorologists:

Kevin

Attached is the "wind gust" report from the NWS-SD. So far this 'santa ana' event has produced moderately high winds but not hurricane force in populated areas as you predicted.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/display_text.p...%20WIND%20GUSTS

I caution you to be judicious in forecasting weather that will effect palm growers. What a model suggests a week in advance doesn't mean that it will stay that way, as you know. Often it is a gamble since the atmosphere is influenced by multiple factors.

There are some members on Palm Talk who will gladly attempt to undermine you & question your forecasts but their anti-science persona is basically ignored by most posters. Again, I highly recommend that you not post definitive forecasts that directly effect palm growers unless you qualify your prediction as "possible" and your interpretation.

I also read your report on weather and earthquakes. Obviously, you have every right to promote whatever you like on your own website but that type of supposition coupled with premature weather forecasts diminishes your credibility, in my opinion. I will support you publicly as much as I can but these areas trouble me & undermine meteorology in general.

happ

And here is Kevin's reply to me:

"I do not deem NWS sensors as the only OFFICIAL sensors out there. Sensors from personal stations near the Cajon Pass / and Yucaipa went over Hurricane force gusts. One station, destroyed in Yucaipa at 103 mph in gusts.

The forecast is going as planned with some hurricane force gusts / damaging winds in some populated areas. Mind you areas in Fontana to Yucaipa sustained damage and 4-5" tree branches fell.

I caution you to message me saying something was missed if facts are not present. I do not use NWS products for my OFFICIAL forecasts nor encourage the public.

My credibility is sky high and that is all that matters right now. As long as these winds came in and damage was reported, I call the forecast a success.

In the coming days I will release a press release encouraging the public that NWS is not the only source they HAVE TO listen to. I for one do not like how they operate in my forecast region of Southern California and the goal is for the public to see SCWXA is another official source they can deem the term.

But again, the winds happened, and hurricane force + did happen in the most prone populated zones. Yucaipa is populated and counts.

Kevin"

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, as I stated before, wind gusts were in the 50's to 60's here this morning in Corona and NWS' station only says 40. The wind is under-estimated and some populated zones will see more.

Do not tell me how weather works when I've been doing it for 10 years, and the main-stream comes to me as well for my thoughts.

You can go ahead and follow the NWS, but I will not. They are not the only "official" weather source or stations out there. They just do not have the stations placed in the right prone areas except for their fremont and chilao station.

As stated above, NWS is not the only official source. The public will listen to whoever they deem official and a lot of the public deem SCWXA as official to them. They have a choice and you will not make it for them.

Do you understand?

I would refrain from replying back in "attempt" to discredit me in anyway. It won't be handled lightly.

Hurricane force did happen in populated areas, and many in these "prone" areas suffered damage. I have damage photos from San Jacinto to Yucaipa, and on over into Fontana of what 80+ mph winds did.

Please do not use the word certified around me because even certified mets can be very wrong at times, as can I. We are all equal. I am equal in qualifications as the NWS. Weather is a hobby, and you must understand and get good at it without schooling to know it. They don't teach micro-climate Southern California forecasting in met school so there is no say so they have over mine, nor mine over theirs. It's equal and finally the mainstream is starting to see that.

Also your post on another forum has lead me to believe you are at war with me. That is fine, but do NOT and I repeat do NOT bring it to this forum, they do not want to hear it. You discredit my Earthquake research as well. Here's some food for thought. Until you have facts that it DOES NOT work I suggest you keep the discrediting to a minimum because it only makes you look worse.

Here is what you wrote on the other site.

Link: http://westernusawx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24537

Your quote,

"I am not one to knock other weather nerds but this story on Kevin Martin's new web site is bothersome. Any claims that earthquakes are caused by "high pressure" is either laughable or sad & only further diminishes Martin's credibility. There was a 4.5 earthquake last week that occurred before the current high pressure system moved into the West."

---

I don't discredit people for IDEAS. IDEAS are what makes the world change.

I'm leaving for a bit and need to calm down. I'm really getting sick of this jealousy in the weather world and other people knocking others off for an IDEA. It's juvenile.

I'll talk to you guys later this has done it for me.

PS Happ, I'm a palm grower. My babies are safe because I know the weather ahead of time. I know how to handle this stuff.

Kevin

Edited by KMartin

--------------------