IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jan 10-14 looks cold in the southeast

SubTropicRay

They were calling for 14F last night. The actual low was 16F. They are forcasting 9f tonight.

Both GFS models have 38F for me tonight. No clouds tonight baby so that wind had better not go totally calm. The bigger headline in all of this is the 8-10 day time frame that will have elapsed with nightime temps in the 40's and afternoon highs in the 60's. It's the duration of this east coast trough that is most unusual.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I only have one palm growing outside and it's a needle palm. Let's see if it makes it after an official low of -6*F at the airport. My apartment on a hill above downtown didn't drop below 5*F, but that's still too dang cold for me.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Both GFS models have 38F for me tonight. No clouds tonight baby so that wind had better not go totally calm. The bigger headline in all of this is the 8-10 day time frame that will have elapsed with nightime temps in the 40's and afternoon highs in the 60's. It's the duration of this east coast trough that is most unusual.

Welcome to winter in S. California....highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s.....endlessly (except right now anyway).

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Last night here the weather.com predicted 28 and locals predicted 26. Turned out to be 30. They have already moved tonight up from 28 to 31. It was all a no biggie.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

As Epicure pointed out: that is a very normal pattern for us in SoCal & why yellowing is inevitable each winter. Good luck, Ray.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Welcome to winter in S. California....highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s.....endlessly (except right now anyway).

But we are NOT in S.California Epi! :winkie::)

As Epicure pointed out: that is a very normal pattern for us in SoCal & why yellowing is inevitable each winter. Good luck, Ray.

And precisely why I'm NOT living in SoCal HAPP, even though your 2 full ZONES higher than me! :mrlooney:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Although I am not home, I couldnt resist remotely checking my station.....and its sitting at 36F at 7AM!

EDIT - Bottomed at 36.0F at 657AM....now at a wonderful 36.3F :mrlooney:

So, Im sure Ill have some more Prichardia damage when I get home, and likely leaf drop on some Crotons and Sanchezia, but eveything else should be fine.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

My min was 39.9F

It only dropped to 40F in town. They were saying 35-38F. Still haven't been below 40F yet.

I just got back last night, was in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple of days for the TPIE show. The weather forecast on one of the TV news for FTL was saying it would be cold and brisk there Fri. nite with a low of 55 ! LOL!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

And precisely why I'm NOT living in SoCal HAPP, even though your 2 full ZONES higher than me! :mrlooney:

C'mon now, yellow can be a beautiful color. Well, not for palms, but certainly other things. :lol:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Epic, Your right! We are having Highs in the low 70'sF and lows in the mid-50'sF. This is fantastic weather and I understand why you Cali guys live in bliss!

What you look for is what is looking

C'mon now, yellow can be a beautiful color. Well, not for palms, but certainly other things. :lol:

Hey, all you closet decorators, yellow is THE in color this season, so yellow palms will be quite fashionable.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well the "nose" as Ray called it got bigger,and moved over here to the east coast.

My forecast as of 10:00 PM last night

NWS - 43F

Weather.com - 42F

Accuweather - 39F

My actual low last night 36.8F! :rage:

This thread started out as a long range forecast for the southeast.

If they can't get it right less than 12 hours before the actual cold event, how can anyone take a 5 or 10 day long range forecast even remotely seriously?

I know I bash weathermen, but how can they expect anyone to beleive they have a clue what the weather is actually going to do, when even very short term they miss it by so much?? just sayin :hmm:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

They were calling for 9F last night. We only got down to 12F. :( . I had a few lights out just in case.

They were calling for 9F last night. We only got down to 12F. :( . I had a few lights out just in case.

Carolinapalms, any word on how your palms fared? Those temps sound nasty!

I don't know how cold it was this morning when I went out around 6am - and scurried right back in - but at 7:30, I think it was 45. Another cold one tonight I believe.

Sure is bitterly cold in the mid-Atlantic - anyone know if cold records are being broken?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

So now I know what its like to be in a warm place reading about how cold it is at the other end of the country. I like it! (Just the being warm part) But I do feel sorry for you guys and gals.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think all of my palms are Ok. My neighbor had some Sabals transplanted at the same time as mine. He didn't protect his at all. But they looked Ok. I don't know if you can tell right away. We didn't break a record low here. In 1977 it hit 5F.

It is still cold here but the worst is over. We are supposed to have lows around 25 F over the next several nights.

Well after all that, it turned out to be not so bad (thank God). The lowest temp here was 39. I thought western areas would get it worse than the east coast, I was surprised to see how low gsn got in Titusville.

Looks like there are a couple more nights early this week to watch.

Edited by popper1

david

Don't look now but the GFS is throwing even colder temps at us on Wednesday morning January 21. We're back on high alert. 33F is the Tampa forecast for Wed morning now.

Well after all that, it turned out to be not so bad (thank God). The lowest temp here was 39. I thought western areas would get it worse than the east coast, I was surprised to see how low gsn got in Titusville.

Looks like there are a couple more nights early this week to watch.

Well it was 43F here in Rockledge, but it got down to 38F in Port St. John.

Brevard County, Fl

Well it was 43F here in Rockledge, but it got down to 38F in Port St. John.

Jimbeam,

Are you referring to Friday night /Saturday morning, or Saturday night /Sunday morning?

39.5 F here in Titusville last night,and I am a little less 1/2 mile from the Intracoastal!

They were closer on the forecast this time ,but still missed it high.

NWS - 40F

Weather.com -41F

accuweather - 42F

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Popper,

You and me both especailly with the forecasted temps, here I almost live on the water,and I was colder than inland Polk county?

They also forecast FROST for here last night(Saturday night/Sunday morning) , none/nada, even the car and winshield had no ICE, littlelone grass, plants.

Which is kinda ironic because the night before NO frost was forecast, and the car was covered in ICE! :blink:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Ditto up here on the not-so-cold Northwest..........It got down to around 29 in the most exposed areas............ some philodendrons, bananas, vinca's etc. burned.....but no palmy stuff that I can see yet. Whew!

Luke......how did you do over there in Tally?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Ditto up here on the not-so-cold Northwest..........It got down to around 29 in the most exposed areas............ some philodendrons, bananas, vinca's etc. burned.....but no palmy stuff that I can see yet. Whew!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Tallahassee was fine for me. I got mid 20's at my house and lost only bananas and shampoo ginger. Philodendrons stay green at my house.

Jeff

North Florida

We got down to 12F at my place on Friday. I only have a T. Fortunei outdoors. No damage at all so far. It always turns a little bit olive colored in mid-winter, but other than that no issues. It was a little uncomfortable having lows in the teens on both Friday and Saturday. My weather station went out on Friday evening, so I'm not positive what the low was at my place on Saturday morning. Official lows were at 12F both Friday and Saturday.

The forseeable forcast is still kind of chilly, but nothing too threatening. We are predicted to have a low around 22F on Wednesday, but that seems like nothing after two mornings at 12F. It's been a crazy winter. We've had a lot of warm days and cold days. We hit 70F in both December and January. We got down to 17F one day in November, 14F in December, now 12F two days in a row for January.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms