IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

January 2009

simona

I'm sending them in a postpak to you Ari. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Aren't you a funny guy, Tyrone!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the weather has been so weird lately. We have been getting rain in the rural area, but unfortunately Darwin has been missing out. The steer has come from all over the place... not sure anymore whether it is convection, monsoonal or what. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I guess... as long as we are still getting rain. We got 50mm today...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Going for another 36,37C today just like yesterday. The weather's getting a bit monotonous. It cools down on Mon Tuesday to 26C and 28C then straight back up to 35C again. But no rain in sight.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, are those high temperatures unusual for Perth? When I lived in TEXAS, USA those were the averages for about 90 days per year. Overnight lows were about 28C, and it rarely fell below 25C from June 1st to Sept 1st. It used to go above 40C on a regular basis. The only blessing was that the higher the temperature, the lower the dewpoint because the hottest air came from the deserts of Mexico. Unfortunately, winters were periodically cold (approximately -10C) so the palm selection was rather limited.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

It is a bit unusual Keith. If we stay above 30C until Sunday which we will, tomorrow is 35C and Sun 38C we've had the hottest start to the year since records began in the 1880's. So far we haven't recorded a day below 30C all of Jan. The long term average is 18C min to 32C max, but we're 2 or 3 degrees above that at 21C to 35C so far. This isn't exactly a desert type heat though. It's not hot humid tropical either, it's somewhere in between with dewpoints from 13-19C typically. Our hottest period is the first 2 weeks in Feb. That's the time when we may get the tropical thunderstorm or two and maybe dewpoints in the 20C plus bracket.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's been hot in West Oz.

Breaking Weather News - 49 degree heat scorches inland WA

Brett Dutschke, 11 January 2009

Today Gascoyne Junction, 460km east of Carnarvon had its hottest January day on record, exceeding 48 degrees, eight above average and the highest temperature recorded anywhere in the country in a year.

This brings an end to an 11-day heatwave for the inland town in which the coolest day was 44 degrees on January 1st.

The heatwave has affected a large part of the Western Australia this month, from Marble Bar in the Pilbara to the south of Perth and to Kalgoorlie in the Goldfields.

Perth has had 14 consecutive days of 32 degrees or hotter the longest such streak in eight years. However this is the hottest start to the year since 1962, hotter than 32 degrees in each of the first 11 days.

A cooler change is taking effect as a persistent west coast trough heads inland, allowing southerly winds to filter through the region.

On Monday Perth residents can expect their coolest day in two weeks, a maximum of around 27 degrees.

The extreme heat is now heading east. On Tuesday Adelaide should bake in the low 40s and Melbourne the high 30s ahead of a weak cooler change.

On Wednesday and Thursday parts of inland South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales may reach 45 degrees

Best regards

Tyrone

More Monsoonal rain on the way in the next few days... Woo hoo!! Things are growing like anything at the moment.... It is great to be in Darwin this time of the year.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More Monsoonal rain on the way in the next few days... Woo hoo!! Things are growing like anything at the moment.... It is great to be in Darwin this time of the year.

I bet your bamboo is shooting well Ari. Some of mine is going off here.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's been hot in West Oz.

Breaking Weather News - 49 degree heat scorches inland WA

Brett Dutschke, 11 January 2009

Today Gascoyne Junction, 460km east of Carnarvon had its hottest January day on record, exceeding 48 degrees, eight above average and the highest temperature recorded anywhere in the country in a year.

This brings an end to an 11-day heatwave for the inland town in which the coolest day was 44 degrees on January 1st.

The heatwave has affected a large part of the Western Australia this month, from Marble Bar in the Pilbara to the south of Perth and to Kalgoorlie in the Goldfields.

Perth has had 14 consecutive days of 32 degrees or hotter the longest such streak in eight years. However this is the hottest start to the year since 1962, hotter than 32 degrees in each of the first 11 days.

A cooler change is taking effect as a persistent west coast trough heads inland, allowing southerly winds to filter through the region.

On Monday Perth residents can expect their coolest day in two weeks, a maximum of around 27 degrees.

The extreme heat is now heading east. On Tuesday Adelaide should bake in the low 40s and Melbourne the high 30s ahead of a weak cooler change.

On Wednesday and Thursday parts of inland South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales may reach 45 degrees

Best regards

Tyrone

check this one out...

WA Temps

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It's hot in Perth, but it's Coolangatta.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yes it's been hot. After a 28.1C minimum we reached 43C today. I started at 6.30am this morning in the nursery and it was already 30C. I finished early to avoid the horrendous maximum. 43C in fullsun with no cloud is horrible. Cooler tomorrow. It will be a positively chilly 33C. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

43 deg?? Yikes... make sure you stay in the shade...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hmz... we already a time frostfree now after the very coldwave that has hit us hard! Tempetures between the 2-4C during the nights and 6-9C during the days! And now a storm depression is born and looks like going to give us some strong winds next monday/tuesday.

I'm almost finished my report about last cold wave, that was the coldest since i started with exotics, the coldest in the last 10-12 years, and also the longest that i've ever seen!

Robbin

Southwest

At 4am this morning we got our first real tropical thunderstorm which I just guess dropped around 15mm in an hour at my place, as the gutters were overflowing, and the back patio area had water on it. Lots of lightening and thunder. The garden would has just lapped it up. It's not much of a storm compared to QLD or the NT, but this is our dry time and to get a tropical storm is really special so I'm happy. No rain though at the official Perth weather site a few km's away. We're meant to get more warm showers mid week which is great. Today is going to be a nice humid and mild 29C. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

The rainy season has been great this year. That is it has been raining every day and my little plants that I have put in the ground are doing great. The average daytime temperatures have stayed near or below 30 C which is also a nice range. We have had some real hard rains. The forecast this season is continued La Niña influenced weather.

Here are a few pictures I took on Saturday while crossing the Negro River to go over to our country place and work on my plantings.

This pictures is looking back across the Negro River at Manaus near the ferry boat landing. The rain here normally comes in from the East. When it comes from the Northwest the storms are more intense.

post-188-1232450709_thumb.jpg

The river has risen enough that the ferry boats can land back at the port of Cacau Pereira. During the months of October through the last part of January the water is too shallow at Cacau for the ferry to get in.

post-188-1232450768_thumb.jpg

Shortly after this picture was taken the wind came up and skies opened up with a downpour.

post-188-1232450864_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We have had a weird January so far. We had no rain at all for the first 3 weeks in what is usually one of our wettest months. High humidity and warm temps but no rain. As soon as 2008 stopped, so did the rain!

Finally we got 75mm last night to water the garden..it was certainly looking dry again.

Today it is humid as and the dewpoint is about 26C currently...sweaty!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hi,

The second half of Januari is not really bad, but colder then the last few winters. Daytempetures between the 6-9C and night tempetures between the 2-5C. It was very windy the last few days, but not as windy like South france and Northern spain! I don't know if somebody lives over there ... but i was reading they have got wind speeds between the 170 and 190 kph.

Some persons called it little hurricane for european standards, i also heard there are more then 10 deads so far.

Robbin

Southwest

Out January is making up for lost time, rainfall is abundant again. We have had over 150mm (6") in the last five days. Palms are loving it with lots of leaf burst. However, I know Newcal is a bit sick of it all as he keeps getting wash-aways in his new palm bed that the ratpack helped with last week.

Daryl

January is doing its thing for us now....

Forecast for Wednesday :

Fine with a mostly sunny day. Light winds and a moderate afternoon sea breeze.

Precis Fine. Min 16 Max 28

Thursday Fine. Min 18 Max 31

Friday Fine. Min 18 Max 27

Saturday Fine day. Min 18 Max 25

Sunday Shower or two. Min 13 Max 22

Monday A few showers. Min 12 Max 23

Tuesday Becoming fine. Min 13 Max 20

......the never-ending cycle of continental highs and Southern Ocean fronts......some rain would be nice.

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Mins are forecast to be from 18-22C and max's from 30C to 38C for the next week. Humidity is not too bad either with dewpoints forecast to be up to 19C. We've been getting up to 90% humidity the last couple of nights but no rain.

Enjoy the warmth Jonathan. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Our January is making up for lost time too! It's trying to fit as much cold weather as possible into a short time.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

This is as good as it gets in my part of the world.

Forecast for Thursday evening

Fine and partly cloudy. Moderate to fresh S/SW winds.

Precis: Fine, cloudy.

Forecast for Friday

Fine. A cloudy morning. Moderate SE winds tending SW in the afternoon and

freshening near the coast.

Precis: Fine, partly cloudy.

City: Min 18 Max 30

Mandurah: Min 19 Max 28

UV Alert: 9:40 am to 5:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Saturday Late storm risk. Min 19 Max 33

Sunday Thunderstorm risk. Min 21 Max 35

Monday Thunderstorm risk. Min 22 Max 36

Tuesday Thunderstorm risk. Min 21 Max 32

Wednesday Possible storm. Min 22 Max 32

Thursday Fine. Min 22 Max 32

I'm sure looking forward to having a beer while watching the thunderstorms and the rain. I'm trying to be positive. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Weather is good here...not too hot, not too cold...mice human and palm friendly temperatures.

Forecast for Friday Evening

A few showers. Possible local thunder this evening. Mostly moderate E'ly winds.

Precis: A few showers

Forecast for Saturday

A few showers. Possible early thunder. Light to moderate E'ly winds.

Precis: A few showers. Possible early thunder.

City: Min 22 Max 29

Bayside: Min 22 Max 28

UV Alert: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Sunday A shower or two Min 22 Max 30

Monday A few showers Min 22 Max 30

Tuesday A shower or two Min 23 Max 29

Wednesday Mostly fine Min 23 Max 30

Thursday Mostly fine Min 23 Max 31

Friday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 31

Weather is good here...not too hot, not too cold...mice human and palm friendly temperatures.

[

In my experience Daryl, you don't want it to get too Mice friendly!!

Enjoy that perfect weather.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

hehe...as long as there are no rats....

Had a humid 23C min, with dewpoints for most of the day around 20-21C. We got to 35C with 50% RH and just a few minutes ago I got a large heavy downpour of big fat hot rain that flooded my driveway and wet the back patio area well and truly. It went for a good ten minutes solid and I hazard a guess at 5-10mm of rain, but the BOM says 0.4mm????? :huh:

Anyway it's going to be hot and humid for a few days more with afternoon thunderstorms forecast for another couple of days. I love this weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

we had over 90mm yesterday... for 24 hours. It was a great day!! A few squal came through and it was blowing a gale, with a few good lightning. Typical Darwin monsoonal storm... lovely!! Nothing today, but it is good anyway as it gives it a chance for everything to dry up a little... Hopefully something will come tonight. You never know with this year wet season... very unpredictable. Oh well, at least we can get the mowing and weed spraying done.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I just got back from walking the dogs down the park and boy it's hot and humid out there. The clouds have moved from my area but some big cummilonimbus are lighting up a lot around the surrounding area. It was so hot and sweaty out there and dead still it reminded me of walking around the Singapore night zoo. With the humidity you can smell the earth and all the lemon flowering gums. I live for this kind of weather. I cam almost hear the palms growing. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks as I will end this month with 1.50" of rain. High temp of 79.1f and a low of 29.4 for the month.

Second frost period is arrived, but not to cold so far.. many thanks for that the last frost period was heavy and nasty enough. Now 0 to -3C during the nights for the fiveday forecast and 3-6C during te days.

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin,

i think also the average daytime temperatures of Junauri were below average. the minimums were alright i think? it's funny that we are now happy with maximums of 4/6 degrees...during the previous winters we would find that same temperature to be cold...

My average temperature here for the whole of January was 3.6°C/38.5°F. The England average is 3.5°C/38.3°F, but as my area is milder than much of England, I expect to find the temperature was slightly below average for England, when the figures are released. Either way, having been used to January averages over 6°C/43°F for many of the recent years, it will still be our coldest January for quite a few years. The milder second half of the month helped a lot with the average temperature, which after the first two weeks was -0.2°C/31.6°F.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

the avarege maximum day temperature around here in Junauri is +7°C. this Januari i think i can count the days when we had +7°C temperatures on one hand...februari als has a cold start but i hope it gets milder the second half of februari...

Corey

Have you had any of this:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/S...rs_Stay_At_Home

?

Ahh the old Battersea Power Station, in the snow no less. At the risk

of being really corny: if Pink Floyd did another mid-70's album this week,

their pig would have to have a blanket!

I know. I know.

Steve

Edited by steve 9atx

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Unfortunately Steve, we have just had two days of our first snow for many years. In fact, I can't remember snow like this since I was a young kid, so over 30 years.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa