IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest day coming 12/26 in SoCal

LJG

It is predicted to be 34° from Weather.com and 37° from Accuweather. This is the first time I have been predicted below 40.

Anyone scared? Me, I am considering getting the family to the bomb shelter and loading it with canned refried beans just in case it is a long one.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

You guys supposedly just had a 50 YEAR cold event out there. That would have made it colder than the 1990 freeze, was this not the case?

Where are the DOOM and GLOOM guys on this one? :hmm:

Good luck out there,maybe it won't be as bad as the forecast,always a possibility?

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

What did I hit? I hit John Wayne Airport on Saturday and got back to Miami after a cold month of working in Santa Clarita...Nice to have a low temp (71F) last night that was warmer than any daytime high for the past two weeks in LA Co...

Seriously, hope y'all don't get too cold, but at least the past month should have helped harden off/slow growth down.

Merry Xmas all!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Len, can I trade you forecasts this weekend?

post-662-1230241549_thumb.jpg

post-662-1230241648_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

We're down to 22 today. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Xmas afternoon. I don't mean to scare you guys in S. Calif. but the front that passed through the SF Bay area around noon today is rapidly heading your way. After the clouds cleared, it was followed by gusty winds and cooler temps. The high today here today was only 50F, and the forcast for tonight is 34, but I don't believe it. I think it's going to freeze here tonight. I talked to Patrick Schafer this morning and it was snowing and sleeting at his place. He's about 2.5 hours north of the Bay Area.

Dick

Richard Douglas

We're down to 22 today. :)

Of course you mean 22C....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

They just dropped it another degree to 33. Me no likie.

Terry, no thanks.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

45F here at 11:30 PM. Not too bad and it's not forecast to go below about 39F. If it stays breezy, maybe higher than that.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Oooooooo boy....I'm showing a 36.4F on my trusty high/low. I didn't expect this temp at 12:20 am, and I'm very surprised and concerned....I didn't expect this at all.

:blink:

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Almost 1:00 AM and it's still in the low 40s here, 43.5 to be exact. That's a bigger difference than usual compared to inland areas like Glenn's in the above post. There's a light breeze mixing the air here which may not be present in Modesto.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

33F here in Brentwood at 7:00 am....probably will go below 30 before the sun makes a difference

John Case

Brentwood CA

Got down to 30 in Riverside... lots of frost on the grass... :(

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Yes I'm scared. It gets cold here and tonight isn't an exception from last night. lol. Need to go protect a lot of stuff outside again.

Here is what I have for you doubravsky ... Protect those projects.

FREEZE WARNING

ONTARIO WEATHER SERVICE

DECEMBER 26, 2008 3:30am Pacific Time

ALL HIGH DESERT ... YUCAIPA ... BANNING PASS ... HEMET ... CORONA/NORCO ... LAKE ELSINORE ... MORENO VALLEY ... ALL MOUNTAIN ZONES ...

OWSWEATHER.COM HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING EFFECTIVE TONIGHT TILL 9AM SATURDAY MORNING ...

CLEAR SKIES, WITH LESS WIND. CALM WINDS IN SOME SPOTS RATHER, WITH ONLY OFFSHORE BREEZES THROUGH THE PASSES AND CANYONS DUE TO A SLIGHT OFFSHORE WIND GRADIENT IN THE AREA.

THE CLEAR SKIES AND CALM WINDS WILL LEAD TO A DRASTIC TEMPERATURE DROP AFTER SUNSET. AREAS IN THE WARNED AREAS WILL HAVE FREEZING TEMPERATURES FOR THREE OR MORE HOURS.

THE MOUNTAINS ARE IN THIS DUE TO THE BLACK ICE MENTION. PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AND DO NOT FORGET TO RELAY THE BLACK ICE DANGER TO ANYONE.

IF YOU ARE A HAM RADIO USER, YOU CAN RELAY THE OWSweather WARNING FOR BLACK ICE IN THE MOUNTAINS. IT COULD SAVE A LIFE OR TWO. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS LISTENING ...

K. MARTIN

---

FROST ADVISORY

ONTARIO WEATHER SERVICE

DECEMBER 26, 2008 3:50am Pacific Time

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY COASTAL AND VALLEY, INCLUDING VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE ... SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY ... KERN COUNTY VALLEYS, BAKERSFIELD, TEMECULA, AND NORTHERN SAN DIEGO COASTAL, OCEANSIDE ...

OWSWEATHER.COM HAS ISSUED A FROST ADVISORY EFFECTIVE TONIGHT, TILL 9AM SATURDAY MORNING ...

TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE 30'S OVERNIGHT IN MANY SPOTS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO WIDESPREAD FROST DEVELOPING OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING WITH AMPLE SURFACE HUMIDITY BEING UP. FROST WILL BE LIKELY WHERE WINDS ARE CALM.

WILL NOT EXTEND THE FROST ADVISORY TO ONTARIO DUE TO THE DRIER AIR ADVECTION FROM THE CAJON PASS AREA, WHERE OFFSHORE WINDS GUSTING 20-25 MPH+ WILL BE LIKELY ...

K. MARTIN

---

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Anyone scared? Me, I am considering getting the family to the bomb shelter and loading it with canned refried beans just in case it is a long one.

Well, what ever you do, after day 2, don't light a match down there. :blink:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

At 2AM the temperature here was 43F with a breeze. My low ended up being 35 at 7:30AM.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

42F/ 5.5c minimum this morning & windy. Noticed both the NWS & OWS have not as yet issued frost advisories for the valleys but calm areas should experience some very cold temps tonight.

I was in the Bay Area on Christmas Day where it was mighty cold but above freezing overnight [though a thunderstorm dropped hail for a brief period].

Maybe by next week temps will get back to normal :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ, we did get advisories/warnings out for most of the region this morning. However, last night we weren't operational and didn't get stuff out. Assessing the frost potential in the LA Valleys now. I do see isolated bits here and there, but it looks like some drier air would work in from the North. Things will be in the mid 30's tonight there, with 70% humidity, but Downtown LA in the lower 40 range. Even Santa Clarita looks isolated. Not sure if I would go frost advisory in this area due to "isolated" frost being only possible.

I may go freeze warning in Tujunga shortly for the three hr freezing period there tonight.

--------------------

Kevin,

How much wind do you expect tonight?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Not much. I do see freezes in Tujunga through Fillmore though. The wind isn't a factor to a widespread area. Was funny seeing your post as I was assessing the valley threat there, lol. We did a freeze in Ventura Valleys, and a frost from Santa Clarita to the Upper LA Valleys. That should hold fine. The area doesn't see offshore winds when they are weak. Only the immediate passes do.

--------------------

Well, the day is here. Tonight should hit 33 or 37 depending on source. Buy far the coldest night of the year. Terry, good luck man.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

48F last night. No big deal. NWS says 41F tonight. Still, no big deal. The temps that everyone is concerned about really are not out of the norm for this time of year, especially inland.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

:hmm: My low was 48.6. Right now it's sunny and rather windy.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Last night wasn't cold at all. The moisture in the air made all the difference.

Now, it's much colder and drier, and whatever heat we have is going to radiate off into space.

I took one look and figured this is going to be a cold one.

Hope I'm wrong of course . . . . .

It's colder now than it was on the eve of the Big Freeze of 2007, which is why 2007 caught me off guard.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Look how fast those clouds are moving over the Pacific! :blink: ushering in cold polar air http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/scripts/animat...S2HNX.GIF.8.jpg

But this event is not much like 2007, Dave. Never-the-less tonight will be cold.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hit 36.2 deg. F / +2.3 deg. C this a.m. as my minimum. It was in the low 40s most of the night with a stiff breeze. One of the colder nights.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

40° briefly and then went up fairly fast to 50°. On my hillside, it only went to 44°.

I am hoping we get a weeks of warmth and then a nice warm, subtropical storm from the Pacific. No more Alaska cold fronts!

Stay warm.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Workin on a few things for frost and freezes. Here is the test image for tonight into Saturday morning.

122708ff.jpg

I'm in the freeze, lol.

--------------------

Kevin,

Try working up a good old Pineapple Express for us!

Thanks!

John Case

Brentwood CA

I hit 35 last night and for the first time I had frost on my car this morning when I left for work at 6AM. My previous low was 37 and looks like I'll hit another one tonight.

Tonight the following are my projected lows:

Weather.com: 36

Accuweather: 35

NWS: 34

W underground: 32

Now matter how you look at it it's not going to be good. Well wait and see and hope for the best.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Oooooooo boy....I'm showing a 36.4F on my trusty high/low. I didn't expect this temp at 12:20 am, and I'm very surprised and concerned....I didn't expect this at all.

:blink:

Ok...ended up being 32.5 at @ 4:30 am this past morning. Minimal frost, not too bad at all.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

About7:30 p.m., local time and I just looked at the thermo in the coldest part of my back yard, and it's now 35.2 F, and the night's still very young.

It was 38.1 by my front door.

Me no likey this a one little bit, nuh-uh, no way Jose . . . . .

:(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

San Marcos:

46F inside my greenhouse out back right now....i have my heater / fan on the bricks combo going right now, so everything should be okay!

got down to 37F with no heater last nite (forgot to turn it on!)

About7:30 p.m., local time and I just looked at the thermo in the coldest part of my back yard, and it's now 35.2 F, and the night's still very young.

It was 38.1 by my front door.

Me no likey this a one little bit, nuh-uh, no way Jose . . . . .

:(

Damn Dave! Good luck, bro. How far are you from Fullerton? [reporting 48F\ 8.8c & Anaheim 47.

48.8F\ 9.2c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

42F and 45F right now... Still really wet out there, I'm hoping the breeze and evaporation help.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

46F on one and 48F on another right now. Tomorrow night is the first NWS forecasted temp into the 30s (forecasted 38F) since Jan '07.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

San Marcos:

46F inside my greenhouse out back right now....i have my heater / fan on the bricks combo going right now, so everything should be okay!

got down to 37F with no heater last nite (forgot to turn it on!)

Burt- decided to enact the "halogen light heater" tonite about 1 1/2 hours ago (with lo fan)in the greenhouse. Just looked and sitting at 50F right now. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!