IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Apologize For Arctic Blast

KMartin

For those of you that don't know. I am Kevin Martin. I was the guy that was in the articles about the arctic blast coming. Not sure how many panicked and hope that didn't do that to people. Was only helping in how a cold air mass was coming down, which did in fact bring rare snows to areas that normally wouldn't see it, like Corona / Temecula in upper spots, Banning, and hey even Vegas, so this was about right.

True blasts are of the drier sources, such as 1990. Those are brutal to our plant and tree projects. Being a weatherman I enjoy figuring out if these conditions will harm our work. Luckily this one wasn't a drier cold. eek. In Corona, here, it gets the coldest out of the entire Inland Empire areas due to the drier air and clear nights. Our low this week was like 26 at my house. 5 miles East it was 33. Contrast is different in temperatures here.

My wife plants and I searched online for information. Came up with the site and forum and then saw my arctic blast article posted in here. Had to reply with this...

This season is the type of season for these brutal colds to continue. I've prepared and just giving you a friendly note as well. JAN/FEB often are the worst during these "patterns" in Southern California.

Talk to you soon. Already saw a person I know on the board. LOL small world isn't it?

KMartin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Welcome Kevin. We could use some real meteorologists here. Better to be scared and prepared than surprised.

Those dry arctic blasts are the worst. I'm sure January 2007 fit that description. These current ones accompanied with rain don't scare me as much.

Please stick around and give us more inside info. We'll have you planting a lot of Zone 9 palms in no time. You'll thank us once you are hopelessly addicted.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Good to see that you ran across your own article here.

This winter appears to be different from the rest. Folks in seattle said they had 3 foot drifts of snow in their yard, with at least 10 inches averagly.

Things have been ok... in the bay area soo far... But things are just beginning...

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Kevin,

Welcome to PalmTalk!

I'm a little confused however by your post.

Are you apologizing for missing the forecast, overstating the forecast, or are you saying you nailed it?

On your website:

Kevin Martin Correctly Predicts Rare Arctic Blast to the Southwestern USA.

http://www.owsweather.com/pr121708a.html

Very interesting website by the way!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Well just basically some got blasted, some did not. Not everyone saw it kind of thing. So for some, it helped. For others, it didn't. So for ones that got alarmed and nothing happened for them apology perhaps.

--------------------

Welcome Kevin. We're gardeners. We have to get all nervous over something. Weather, bugs, weeds, fungus, bacteria, virus, invasive plants, droughts, water restrictions, neighborhood restrictions, neighbor deeds, etc. We even have PalmTalk dramas, too.

I mean, what fun would gardening be without the soon to come disaster du jour?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Oh believe me. My fair share of fear as well, lol. The Santa Ana Winds can drop wind chills into the teens here during a very cold offshore event. That is brutal and scares me from my projects. :mellow:

--------------------

Kevin, I am an admitted amateur with a keen interest in Meteorology.As a South Floridian,it is very difficult to understand Western cold. This is particularly true with Southern California.It seems the Mountains and the closeness to the Pacific make super cold temperatures unlikely.I see this referred to as degree of Oceanic influence,which is close to 100% in Southern California.

Florida,however,is more Continental,although factors like the pennisula,Lake Okeechobee,other lakes and the Gulfstream play a factor in mediating extreme temperatures. Also our Latitude(26 vs32)plays a role.

My question is this.I believe our climate in Florida to be cyclical.I always point to the juxtaposition of Florida's freezes of 1893,1895 and 1899 as compared to our freezes of 1983,1985 and 1989.

I am aware of prolonged cold/freezes in California in 1949 and 1937.I believe there were substantial prolonged freezes around 1913 also. My question is what weather factors come together to create real cold events like those experienced in 1949 and 1939?Also,does California experience apparent cycles like those descibed in Florida? Thank you.

What you look for is what is looking

Welcome Kevin! We are privileged to have a "real' meteorologists on Palm Talk. For those unacquainted with Ontario Weather Service, Kevin provides excellent weather analysis for SoCal [correctly forecasting the November & December rain systems].

Please keep us updated on the precarious freezing level, Kevin :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I know a Kevin Martin in SoCal, but he owns golf courses.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

does he grow palms ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bubba, you are very correct. We kind of do have that "florida" climate in Southern California. The cold winters in deep troughs, rare snows and ice, storms off a "West" coast, tropical moisture in the Summer, and theme parks! ^_^

These rare colds are caused when a ridge of High Pressure builds way off the Washington Coast. It could be off their coast by a thousand miles or more to bring the direct North-South flow into the region.

A dry freeze is like that. When air is drier, we get colder faster than predicted tempertures. So if a dry arctic front is coming, oh boy do I prepare my work to not be killed. Mind you guys I'm not an expert at Gardening so my projects are just a couple of trees, rose bushes and vegetables, lol. So I want them to be safe. A dry freeze is something you see during a La Nina month. The N-S flow is very likely during those without rain...

A wet arctic storm like 1949-2004-2008 are very similar. A low forms in this N-S flow which comes in from Nevada. These are cold and once they come offshore, a surface or low level low forms in our bight, or where the islands of Southern California are. This drives the Northeast Santa Ana like winds into the surface low from the very cold desert, and presto! Snow at low elevations, and a whopper in the High Desert...

This year is a perfect pattern for 1949 type scenarios...

We'll have a variety unlike last Winter.

Same with Florida...A ridge of us means a direct hit on them from a N-S flow. With the ridge in place over the Southeast, it may be hard to get such cold down there like we will have on the West.

So yeah, I think I do see and agree with you where California is similar to Florida.

Thanks for the welcome Happ and all. Also I know Happ from somewhere else on the net. He's good at weather and knowing what is coming up.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Hi Kevin,

And welcome to Palm Talk. We need guys like you on here. I'm not sure I understood your last post. Are you saying this winter for the W. coast will be a mixed bag, or colder than normal? I'm in N. Calif. in a Sunset zone 14. I've had 3 nights this season that got down to 31F which seems a little milder than normal. Oct and Nov were much warmer than normal, and frost arrived here about a month later than normal. Last winter my low was 25.5F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

For those of you that don't know. I am Kevin Martin. I was the guy that was in the articles about the arctic blast coming. Not sure how many panicked and hope that didn't do that to people. Was only helping in how a cold air mass was coming down, which did in fact bring rare snows to areas that normally wouldn't see it, like Corona / Temecula in upper spots, Banning, and hey even Vegas, so this was about right.

True blasts are of the drier sources, such as 1990. Those are brutal to our plant and tree projects. Being a weatherman I enjoy figuring out if these conditions will harm our work. Luckily this one wasn't a drier cold. eek. In Corona, here, it gets the coldest out of the entire Inland Empire areas due to the drier air and clear nights. Our low this week was like 26 at my house. 5 miles East it was 33. Contrast is different in temperatures here.

My wife plants and I searched online for information. Came up with the site and forum and then saw my arctic blast article posted in here. Had to reply with this...

This season is the type of season for these brutal colds to continue. I've prepared and just giving you a friendly note as well. JAN/FEB often are the worst during these "patterns" in Southern California.

Talk to you soon. Already saw a person I know on the board. LOL small world isn't it?

KMartin

It looks like, Ken, that So Cal might be too wet too often to prevent mucho fungi from multiplying on palms by FEB. if current patterns hang on, no?

Paul

BTW: pleased to meet you!

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

does he grow palms ?

To my knowledge, he is anti-tree of any type.......golfers, you know.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Trees of any sort make the course.As far as Palms,a particular course on Jupiter Island has one of the greatest assortment of mature out of the ordinary palms I have ever seen on a golf course. This is due to the former owner's son,who I believe had that same condition we on this Board are very familiar with!

What you look for is what is looking

Trees of any sort make the course.As far as Palms,a particular course on Jupiter Island has one of the greatest assortment of mature out of the ordinary palms I have ever seen on a golf course. This is due to the former owner's son,who I believe had that same condition we on this Board are very familiar with!

I agree that trees add to the course. He, however, had refused donations of trees from me (at my club). He also plays golf, which I think is the problem as trres, which are 90% air (not palms but others) seem to reach out and grab flying balls.

Infection of the disease may come someday, but I am not hopeful (sigh).

John Case

Brentwood CA

John,

You need to educate your friend.

Trees are usually not in the FAIRWAYS on most golf courses! :winkie:

If he is hitting trees on a regular basis maybe he should have issues with his SWING,and not the trees! just sayin! :lol:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

John,

You need to educate your friend.

Trees are usually not in the FAIRWAYS on most golf courses! :winkie:

If he is hitting trees on a regular basis maybe he should have issues with his SWING,and not the trees! just sayin! :lol:

I need to educate his (and my) swing......fairways are hard to find around here......

John Case

Brentwood CA