IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

Woke up to a surprising 0.35 of rain :mrlooney: seems Pt Conception is the graveyard for weakening storms so any amount is welcome esp since I was planning to irrigate today. The real miracle is the heavy snowfall in NorCal that is already improving drought situation. Here's most recent data:

droughtdata3-3-09.gif

Dave\ Riverside Did you observe frost last month? It was quite cold from 2-6-09 to 2-18-09. Historically March can get chilly nights [several years ago March was the coldest month of that year]. There is an upper trough forming from "Saskatchewan to California" per NWS_LA that bears watching.

Lo: 50.0F\ 10C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

I don't go into the analytical data that you go through, but from my gut feeling, this has been a mild winter in N. Calif, except for the cold spell we had around Christmas. My low, so far this winter has been 27 F, and usually I can expect a low of around 25F. My nights are warming up to the 40's instead of the 30's back in Dec and Jan. My days have been in the 50's the past few weeks because of rain and cloud cover, and we have even had a few 60+ days when it was sunny. Today is the first sunny day I've seen in over a week, and there are stiill little clouds that drift over and drop a few sprinkles. I have a feeling I won't see any more frost this winter.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dave\ Riverside Did you observe frost last month? It was quite cold from 2-6-09 to 2-18-09. Historically March can get chilly nights [several years ago March was the coldest month of that year]. There is an upper trough forming from "Saskatchewan to California" per NWS_LA that bears watching.

Lo: 50.0F\ 10C

LA NWS now revised that thinking to a small ridge with warming. I'll take that instead.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Happ, I did have frost one day in February around that time.... and a couple days with frost on the car windows but not the ground. Winter lows tis year around 30... pretty normal to mild winter so far...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

My low this year has only been 33.5F. No freezing temps for the first time in 3 years.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Coldest minimums since mid Feb ex coastal San Diego [rain, anyone?]. Looks chilly into next week

3-4-09

GETTY CENTER: 47

LAX: 46

DOWNTOWN/USC: 45

MALIBU: 45

SANTA MONICA PIER: 49

BURBANK: 41

WOODLAND HILLS: 37

CAMARILLO: 36

SIMI VALLEY: 39

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 42

SAN DIEGO\LINDBERGH FLD: 54

NORTH ISLAND: 59

MIRAMAR MCAS: 49

OCEANSIDE AP: 46

CARLSBAD: 50

CAMPO: 44

JOHN WAYNE AP: 47

FULLERTON AP: 44

ONTARIO: 47

RIVERSIDE AP: 46

PALM SPRINGS: 47

EL CENTRO NAS: 50

Lo: 46F\ 7.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Coldest minimums since mid Feb ex coastal San Diego [rain, anyone?]. Looks chilly into next week

3-4-09

GETTY CENTER: 47

LAX: 46

DOWNTOWN/USC: 45

MALIBU: 45

SANTA MONICA PIER: 49

BURBANK: 41

WOODLAND HILLS: 37

CAMARILLO: 36

SIMI VALLEY: 39

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 42

SAN DIEGO\LINDBERGH FLD: 54

NORTH ISLAND: 59

MIRAMAR MCAS: 49

OCEANSIDE AP: 46

CARLSBAD: 50

CAMPO: 44

JOHN WAYNE AP: 47

FULLERTON AP: 44

ONTARIO: 47

RIVERSIDE AP: 46

PALM SPRINGS: 47

EL CENTRO NAS: 50

Lo: 46F\ 7.7C

I bottomed out at 51. Streets were indeed wet this morning but rain had already gone through. Driving the kids to school, I could see the rain clouds far off to the east.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

A shivering 33F this morning. I was not expecting that. Light frost on the lawn and cars :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

That low is amazing. Mine was 42 F but I had partial cloud cover. Right now at 10:30 AM I see you are 57 and I'm 54, but sunny for a change here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

47F for a low last night. Should be getting noticeably warmer starting Wed of next week. Until then? Low 60s.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Matt,

That low is amazing. Mine was 42 F but I had partial cloud cover. Right now at 10:30 AM I see you are 57 and I'm 54, but sunny for a change here.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I know, that was a weird one. They were only forecasting a low of 37F. I usually end up a few degrees cooler than the forecast because the location of my home is not in the heart of the city, but on the outskirts. I thought I might be done with frost for the season also but, whamo. I have a Cycas taitungesis that is mid flush, just starting to unfurl, that I would have covered if I had known. Also a couple of my Dypsis fineleafs just opened new fronds in the last week, so they will probably burn. Oh well.

We are looking at some cool temps for the rest of the week here. Clear but cool.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

39.9F in my little quarter-acre of joy.

39.9F in my little quarter-acre of joy.

How's everything doing so far at your place Terry. I've had about three casualties so far :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Chilly temps today as a dry trough washes out over SoCal. Rain prospects look better next weekend [3/13-3/15-09]. In the meantime cool northern flow for several more days. Here's a photo I took this afternoon of clouds up against the mountains:

P3060053.jpg

3-6-09

LAX : 60/ 44

DOWNTOWN/USC: 63/ 46

MALIBU: 55/ 49

SANTA MONICA PIER: 62/ 47

BURBANK: 60/ 40

PASADENA: 62/ 42

WOODLAND HILLS: 60/ 35

VENTURA: 60/ 39

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 62/ 44

FULLERTON AIRPORT: 61/ 46

SANTA ANA: 66/ 47

DANA POINT: 60/ 47

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT: 61/ 37

SAN DIEGO: 61/ 50

RIALTO: 61/ 38

RIVERSIDE UCR: 62/ 38

TEMECULA: 60/ 36

WILD ANIMAL PARK: 66/ 37

SPRING VALLEY: 65/ 42

PALM SPRINGS: 69/ 43

THERMAL: 72/ 44

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lox

hi 64 lo 46

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

A low of 39 F in Walnut Creek this morning under clear skys. Looks like some chilly nights next few days, but nothing freezing forcast. The native Oaks are begining to leaf out.

Dick

Richard Douglas

41.7F this morning.

Matt - As I mentioned a few posts up, my lowest temp so far has been 33.5F, and that was a one time thing. My next coldest has been in 36-37F range on a few days. No casualties at all. My 4 lutes look like hell, but that's winter. A slight bit of leaf tip burn on an A. alexandrae and C. obtusa in a part of my yard that probably saw 32F or lower that one morning.

This is hands down the best shape my palms have ever been in heading into Spring.

Edited by osideterry

49F low here this morning with a marine layer out there. It's amazing how cold one feels when you've been out in the 58-60F wind all day at baseball games and such. I'm getting old.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Temecula sorry about the loss. We had a frost advisory out on my organization's site for that area.

NOAA's models show a ridge for drier weather next weekend but my UJEAS project shows a storm. I'm still leaning toward that right now until it changes because I favor UJEAS more than NOAA's models due to the consistency of UJEAS this entire season. I want the rain back so I'm hoping UJEAS is right.

UJEAS is here:

http://www.scwxa.org/UJEAS/2009/3/ujeasmar09.html

Because of my frost and freeze warnings in advance I've been able to save my friend's greenery and others that view the site.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

I had a couple of losses this year, but nothing I think cold- related. Lost a D. Leptocheilos to rot.... and a little royal. I don't seem to be able to keep Roystoneas alive at my place. My lowest temp was about 30 for the year (provided we're done)..

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

41.7F this morning.

Matt - As I mentioned a few posts up, my lowest temp so far has been 33.5F, and that was a one time thing. My next coldest has been in 36-37F range on a few days. No casualties at all. My 4 lutes look like hell, but that's winter. A slight bit of leaf tip burn on an A. alexandrae and C. obtusa in a part of my yard that probably saw 32F or lower that one morning.

This is hands down the best shape my palms have ever been in heading into Spring.

That's good to hear Terry. I had 27F for my low. My losses are D. fineleafs, but mainly because they were small plants. Majesties are a bit burned, C. obtusa with a bit of damage, and H. coriacea completely burnt, but new spear pushing green and firm, R. glauca 50% burn and a few more. I think a lot of my damage is because most of my stuff is small and tender. Hopefully they will harden up as they get larger. Overall, not too bad. I hoping this is the last cold week of the year.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Another cool day as the trough funnels cold air south. Second consecutive day of snowfall in Seattle :wub: tomorrow night\ Tuesday AM could be the coldest down here. Winter is weakening esp in the desert. Anybody check out wildflower conditions in Anza-Borrego?

anza-borrego-2009.jpg

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_abdsp.html

Sunday 3-8-09

HAWTHORNE AP: 63/ 49

DOWNTOWN/USC: 64/ 48

SANTA MONICA PIER: 63/ 50

PASADENA: 66/ 45

FILLMORE: 66/ 37

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 62/ 44

FULLERTON AP: 65/ 46

SANTA ANA: 68/ 46

LAKE FOREST: 66/ 45

OCEANSIDE AP: 63/ 43

SEA WORLD: 62/ 57

CHULA VISTA: 64/ 50

RIALTO: 67/ 39

RIVERSIDE UCR: 68/ 40

TEMECULA: 64/ 37

SPRING VALLEY: 65/ 48

PALM SPRINGS: 72/ 46

INDIO: 75/ 49

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lox

Hi 66F\ 18.8C

Lo 47F\ 8.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It looks likw winter has one more surpeise for us in NorCal. We are predicted a low under freezing tomorrow, possibly with a NNW wind, very drying.

I hope it does not get to that level.

Thanks.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

The wildflowers are blooming at my place too. Some areas are carpeted white and other purple/blue.

Matt in Temecula, CA

John,

NWS forcasts 35F for Walnut Creek tonight, but with wind. If the wind remains it shouldn't be a problem. It's not unusual to get light frosts in N. Cal through out March. Warming trend later in the week. 38 F was my low this morning.

Happ, thanks for the wild flowers pics. Beautiful.

Dick

Richard Douglas

At 8 AM it's 33 F in Walnut Creek and the lowest temp. I've had in March. All the roof tops are very white with frost and Trach wagnerianus and Parajubaea TVT covered with frost. A warming trend begining today, and I hope this will be the last of near freezing nights for the year.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Low of 50F last night. Looks like some nice warm conditions (warmer than normal) for most of next week per NWS.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Since March 1st the NOAA models have been all over the place. FIrst they all wanted a Southwest flow for a pineapple express type situation.

However, my project, UJEAS, has been showing some type of NNW flow and COLD pattern since March 1st for the 14th time-frame. UJEAS only updates once, at the beginning of the month and it attempts to do an entire month. This season has been flawless so far with it.

The March UJEAS is here

And Yes, it shows a cold pattern coming up. The GFS is following UJEAS now in this NNW flow so it looks like the UJEAS is right again. So it is something to keep an eye on guys ...

Kevin

--------------------

Since March 1st the NOAA models have been all over the place. FIrst they all wanted a Southwest flow for a pineapple express type situation.

However, my project, UJEAS, has been showing some type of NNW flow and COLD pattern since March 1st for the 14th time-frame. UJEAS only updates once, at the beginning of the month and it attempts to do an entire month. This season has been flawless so far with it.

The March UJEAS is here

And Yes, it shows a cold pattern coming up. The GFS is following UJEAS now in this NNW flow so it looks like the UJEAS is right again. So it is something to keep an eye on guys ...

Kevin

I thought that it was supposed to get hot next week (according to the NWS). So, it's not going to? :hmm:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

There are other opinions on the weather pattern into next week. The frequency of troughs since February is similar to some past LA NINA's where cold but mainly dry prevailed. However March & April 2008 [during moderately strong LA NINA conditions] were warm & bone-dry.

Here's exerpts from yesterday's AMS_LA Chapter discussion:

"After a weak short wave moves through So CAL tomorrow night and early Thursday morning; where we may get a trace of precipitation, look for the long wave pattern to change dramatically to almost a summer type pattern or Elliot Weather Type Bn-c . . . starting on March 14th building and lasting through the 1st day of Spring on March 20th - where all models show the ridge of high pressure to build further north - with 500 mb heights reaching over 586 dm over Southern California by Saturday, March 21st, 2009.

What this means is after this Friday the 13th, our weather will become more dry and mild over this upcoming weekend - with high temps reaching the mid to upper 70s by Monday, March 16th. After that, the temps will gradually warm further - with the possibility of some moderate to strong off-shore Santa Ana wind events during next week. Temps could rise to the low 80s by Saint Patrick's Day the 17th of March in the local Valleys here in Southern California and possibly into the upper 80s to low 90s by Saturday, March 21st.

It is becoming more apparent that Global Warming is creating longer summers over California and it is looking more and more like water rationing of 25% will be in place by May 1st across all of Los Angeles County as proposed by City Officials - for everyone. We probably should have done it last year.

Jeffrey Brown, MPA"

Let's keep our fingers crossed :innocent:

I spent yesterday in the Anza-Borrego desert & was blown away by the beauty. I'll post the photos on a different threat. Here's a few:

P3100161.jpg

P3100145.jpg

P3100185.jpg

Lo: 48F\ 8.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Not really a ridge from 14-21. It looks more zonal on the West Coast. If no one likes extremes then this is the pattern.

--------------------

Not really a ridge from 14-21. It looks more zonal on the West Coast. If no one likes extremes then this is the pattern.

That will at least keep the searing sun and Santa Anas from continuing to burn tropical palms. Maybe even spur some growth. :)

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

How are the cali coconuts going?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yes, for growers, the coming pattern is 100% ideal in this area with no major storms, and no major temperature extremes. We are good for a while.

--------------------

Up here in Eugene, we rocked out at 24F this morning, and hit a wopping 63F today. Beatiful day.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Seasonal temps today though minimums continue 5-10 degrees below normal. That should change into next week as a zonal flow finally takes over. Northern airmass has predominated over the last 6 weeks with only occasional heat. Weak & dry troughs are common in early Spring with chilly temps coastside but warmer inland.

GETTY CENTER: 63/ 45

LAX: 60/ 47 /

DOWNTOWN/USC: 67/ 49

SANTA MONICA: 62/ 46

UCLA: 65/ 47

BURBANK: 68/ 43

NORTHRIDGE: 73/ 43

WOODLAND HILLS: 76/ 36

OJAI: 74/ 34

THOUSAND OAKS: 68/ 41

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 67/ 47

FULLERTON: 68/ 46

LAKE FOREST: 69/ 45

RIALTO 1420 : 77 / 39

RIVERSIDE UCR: 73/ 39

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT: 63/ 40

SAN DIEGO: 63/ 49

TEMECULA: 72/ 36

WILD ANIMAL PARK: 71/ 37

SANTEE: 66/ 41

PALM SPRINGS: 82/ 45

THERMAL: 84/ 53

DEATH VALLEY: 85/ 51

hi: 71F\ 21.6C

lo: 48F\ 8.8C

Dropped by Descanso Gardens\ Glendale this afternoon:

descansogarden3-13-09050.jpg

descansogarden3-13-09001.jpg

descansogarden3-13-09024.jpg

descansogarden3-13-09009.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

As stated in my last post, the zonal flow into California will arrive. This means no extreme heat, or extreme cold, plus no extreme storms.

This is good because I don't have to worry about my work in the backyard, plus my meteorologist duties can be cut down from the lack of activity and I can finally get a much needed break in forecasting ...

Kevin

--------------------

Glad that the boring marine layer will give way to sun & warmer temps this week. Noticed it was 36F\ 2.2C & raining in Seattle this hour. Last March the PacificNW was cold & wet but ridging was strong over California. This early spring is more troughs and below normal temps but GFS continues to predict warming into day 14

longrangetemps.gif

Lo: 52.2F\ 11.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ - You are really coming through with the photos and graphs. I like 'em.

My low is 41.2F this morning. I know... can't complain. Okay, I'm complaining.

Happ - You are really coming through with the photos and graphs. I like 'em.

My low is 41.2F this morning. I know... can't complain. Okay, I'm complaining.

:violin:

Matt in Temecula, CA

The GFS predicts warming, but I see a storm window opening the 21st with the UJEAS program, so between 21-28th is a storm window with the zonal flow breaking down for the chance of precip once again into California ...

GFS is useless beyond seven days ...

--------------------