IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

I think I was 38.5 last night (definitely somewhere in the 38 range, but just forgot the decimal place). Warmer than Bill's back yard!

Matt

Sorry Matt, last night/fri morn my back yard was 41.0

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Beautiful day :D warm spot: El Cajon & Indio: 80F\ 26.6C. General cool down w/ possible light showers off & on into next week. Moist but mild temps. Further north the Sierra are in for a nice dump but at much higher snow levels. Guess the rain season is the only good thing going for California lately :crying:

Hi: 77F\ 25C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Matt - Your lows have been the same as mine, and I'm usually 2-3 degrees colder than Bill.

My yard is flat, so there's not much I can do to improve things but wait for the canopy. I'm wondering if you planted a screen of large bamboo at the top of your hill, it would direct cold air flow around your property.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Heavy rain moving into the Bay Area tonight through Monday. Subtropical in nature, night time temps. will stay in the mid 50s. Soils are saturated so be ready for lots of runoff. Local reservoirs are looking better daily.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Heavy rain moving into the Bay Area tonight through Monday. Subtropical in nature, night time temps. will stay in the mid 50s. Soils are saturated so be ready for lots of runoff. Local reservoirs are looking better daily.

Jim, it looks to be "too little too late" according to the federal government & water restrictions are planned for this summer or before [ie. April in LA per mayor]. :o But it's great that northern California is picking up more rain. Models show disturbed weather into March.

Today's satellite:

satellite02-21-09.jpg

Lo: 54.5F\ 12.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Not to start a north, south war, but since S. Calif. gets a lot of our water, what's good for us is good for you guys too. As far as the feds predicting a water shortage, I don't believe anything they say anymore.

Clouds have been moving in all day and it feels ominious. The murcury is dropping. I hope we get two days of tropical rain, but the ground is saturated here from the storm last week. Calif. weather is so weird.......we can go from drought to flood in a matter of days.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

Not to start a north, south war, but since S. Calif. gets a lot of our water, what's good for us is good for you guys too. As far as the feds predicting a water shortage, I don't believe anything they say anymore.

Clouds have been moving in all day and it feels ominious. The murcury is dropping. I hope we get two days of tropical rain, but the ground is saturated here from the storm last week. Calif. weather is so weird.......we can go from drought to flood in a matter of days.

Dick

Amen Dick,

The government doesn't have a good track record for predicting almost anything! This drought can indeed be wiped out with continued wet weather. Let's hope it keeps coming.

The winds are southerly and mild and the clouds are looking very ominous. Hoping for lots of drenching rains. My area is within an inch of being 100% of normal for this date.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Terry, you read my mind. I already have few pots of bamboo waiting to be planted along the top. There is actually a gully just before the last slope that drains into the neighbors and I'm going to run the bamboo screen to the lower side of that hoping the cold air will funnel down to the neighbors. They don't have anything tropical. Given the fact that a 3 foot high mound of dirt at the bottom of my hill creates a spot with temps 3-4 degrees lower than a spot just a few feet away, I have to think that there are things I can do to warm things up.

Dick, I'm with you on the rain predictions. I always laugh when they complain that we haven't gotten our normal or "average" rain. I've been here 13 years now and it has never rained the "average" amount. It seems pretty clear to me that the rain pattern in SoCal is 5-6 years of drought, followed by a year of heavy rains. There really is no true average. But the news always starts complaining about drought after the 3rd or 4th low rain year in a row. Maybe Happ could dig up a year by year rain plot for SoCal, my guess is that 60-80% of the years are below "average" and 20% of the years are 2-3 times "average".

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I don't know what's going on here, but the clouds started pouring into N. Calif last night. Most of the energy is going north and south of the central Bay Area. It's like a giant wedge is diverting the rain from the the central Bay Area. Maybe I'm just impatient as there is supposed to be a lot more to come. It's mild here this morning. The temp is 54 F. and it was 60 F at midnight and so far only intermittent light rain or drizzle in Walnut Creek. There were reports of 2" of rain north of us last night.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Mainly 50's overall w/ even a few stations over 60F [ie. 62F\ 16.6C North Island\ San Diego bay]. Lindbergh Field\ airport sits right on the bay also but cold air flowing down from Balboa Pk cools it more than surrounding stations [ie. Sea World]. I wish there was a reporting station at the San Diego zoo like there is at the Wild Animal Pk\ San Pasqual.

Dick

It appears the best dynamics are to the north [ie. Santa Rosa & Sacramento].

Lo: 59.4F\ 15.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Looks like another wet but mild night. Rainfall totals here in the South Bay range so far from 1/3 to over 2 inches with more on the way. It's pouring here right now at 10PM. My closest reservoir, Stevens Creek reservoir was less than 30% of capacity three weeks ago. Now it's over 75% of capacity! Lexington reservoir in Los Gatos has more than doubled. Hope this keeps up.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Mild night w/ 50's widespread [low 60's LA basin] due to cloudiness & relatively warm airmass [Campo 80F\ 26.6C yesterday]. Some very light scattered showers possible today in SoCal [nothing like the heavy rainfall in Northern California]. Unsettled weather this week w/ safe minimums.

Lo: 60.4F\ 15.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The last 2 days have been weird. Grey overcast, and high wind-carved clouds. It looks and feels exactly the same temp at 9am, noon, 2pm, 5pm. No wind at all. The low was 51F and the high 59F. Very twilight zone.

Holy monsoonal flow Batman!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jim - I just looked at the Accuweather forecast for Geyserville, and it show precipitation for 10 of the next 12 days.

I chose Geyserville because it's in the middle of Alexander Valley wine region and I'm concerned about the 2009 vintage. Without more rain, that industry would get hammered.

Terry,

I wouldn't worry about the vines as N. Calif. has had plenty of rain in the last few days, and particularly the northern Sacramento, Sonoma, and Napa valleys. I had a brief downpour in the middle of the night, but now it's clear and 49F. No more precip expected here today, but 50/50 chance for the rest of the week. We are actually soggy and need to dry out for a day or two.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Holy monsoonal flow Batman!

Yeah....it seemed pretty humid out there yesterday. I liked it!! :mrlooney:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Lo: 54.4F\ 12.4C

Coastal fog should form tonight [esp San Diego co.]. Zonal flow means mild temps [yesterday: Chula Vista: 78F\ Thermal: 85F].

Another big storm possible this coming weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Some chilly readings this morning as a weak trough moves thru SoCal. Nice weather into the weekend then another weak trough. Models continue to show rain for California into March though less so in SoCal.

HAWTHORNE AP: 50F

LAX: 49F

DOWNTOWN: 49F

MALIBU: 49F

SANTA MONICA PIER: 50F

BURBANK: 44F

SAN GABRIEL: 46F

FILLMORE: 40F

OJAI: 37F

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 48F

LINDBERGH FLD: 50F

NORTH ISLAND: 52F

MONTGOMERY FLD: 46F

OCEANSIDE AP: 39F

CARLSBAD: 48F

CAMPO: 30F

JOHN WAYNE AP: 49F

FULLERTON AP: 47F

CORONA AP: 35F

ONTARIO AP: 44

RIVERSIDE AP: 42F

PALM SPRINGS: 49F

IMPERIAL AP: 49F

Lo: 49.8F\ 9.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

For the past 3 or 4 days my lows have been right around 50F, but this morning it's 39F. Whatever went through here yesterday left very little moisture. It drizzled for a couple of hours and then a partially sunny, mild afternoon.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Some chilly readings this morning as a weak trough moves thru SoCal. Nice weather into the weekend then another weak trough. Models continue to show rain for California into March though less so in SoCal.

Hi Happ,

How come my favorite city is not reported in your lows list anymore. It is interesting to compare them all and it makes me feel a little better when I'm not the lowest of the lows :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hi Happ,

How come my favorite city is not reported in your lows list anymore. It is interesting to compare them all and it makes me feel a little better when I'm not the lowest of the lows :)

Hey Matt,

NWS_San Diego don't update all minimums until late in the afternoon. The first data is usually readings from airports & military installations. No intent to deprive you of your area's temperatures :winkie: But based on hourly readings it appears that Temecula recorded a minimum in the upper 40's this morning [about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday's chilly minimums].

Shouldn't see any cold minimums next week since periods of clouds & possible showers are forecast [though rain doesn't look probable for SoCal]. Indigenous walnut trees are beginning to leaf out as well as sycamores: spring is near!

Lo: 52.7F\ 11.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hey Matt,

NWS_San Diego don't update all minimums until late in the afternoon. The first data is usually readings from airports & military installations. No intent to deprive you of your area's temperatures :winkie: But based on hourly readings it appears that Temecula recorded a minimum in the upper 40's this morning [about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday's chilly minimums].

Shouldn't see any cold minimums next week since periods of clouds & possible showers are forecast [though rain doesn't look probable for SoCal]. Indigenous walnut trees are beginning to leaf out as well as sycamores: spring is near!

Lo: 52.7F\ 11.5C

Thank you Happ, I think I can even smell spring in the air, Oh wait, that's just the neighbors horses :mrlooney:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Big dose of spring today :mrlooney: 89F\ 31.6C in usual hot spots: Santa Ana\ Wild Animal Pk. Even 86F\ 30C at Santa Monica pier. This heat is short-lived & there is a chance for some downright cold minimums later in the coming week.

Hi 83F Lo 56F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This heat is short-lived & there is a chance for some downright cold minimums later in the coming week.

Hi 83F Lo 56F

:angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My high was 87F (93F in my hybrid greenhouse). Low? Probably high 40s again. No big deal.

Don't let Happ get to you Bill. I'll be lower than you and I'm not seeing anything forecast lower than 40F at Oceanside Airport for the next 10 days.

Big dose of spring today :mrlooney: 89F\ 31.6C in usual hot spots: Santa Ana\ Wild Animal Pk. Even 86F\ 30C at Santa Monica pier. This heat is short-lived & there is a chance for some downright cold minimums later in the coming week.

Hi 83F Lo 56F

I see a low of 46 late next week, but other than that....... :huh:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Today was certainly summer-like but I could not find one city at 90F. Nice reminder that spring is coming. I am concerned about a "Siberian" airmass for the PacificNW by next weekend. This may be what the GFS has been warning about though today's run was not as cold. I think it is likely that cool and unsettled weather will replace the recent heat for much of this week & possible showers in SoCal :D

This is only 1000 miles north per NWS_Seattle 03-01-09: :unsure:

"THE GFS CONTINUES TO SHOW SOME OF THE COLD AIR NOW IN SIBERIA MOVING INTO ALASKA WED THEN SE ALONG THE B.C. COAST INTO WA LATER THU INTO FRI...THOUGH THE GFS IS NEARLY A DAY LATER WITH THIS THAN RUNS OF 24 HOURS AGO. AS THE SYSTEM DROPS IN FROM THE NW...WET CONDITIONS MOVE INTO THE AREA THU INTO EARLY FRI WITH FALLING SNOW LEVELS...POSSIBLY HEAVY SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS...AND EVEN A POSSIBLE WINTRY MIX OVER THE LOWLANDS DURING THE NIGHT AND MORNING HOURS THU NIGHT INTO FRI. THE GFS THEN DRIES THINGS OUT FROM THE NORTH FRI INTO SAT AS MODIFYING ARCTIC AIR FILTERS INTO NORTHERN PORTIONS OF W WA".

Sunday 03-01-09 NWS

GETTY CENTER: 80/ 64

DOWNTOWN/USC: 84/ 55

SANTA MONICA ARPT: 80/ 54

UCLA: 84/ 63

CHATSWORTH: 85/ 49

SAN GABRIEL: 85/ 55

SIMI VALLEY: 81/ 61

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 79/ 50

FULLERTON AIRPORT: 85/ 50

SANTA ANA: 89/ 52

LAKE FOREST: 84/ 60

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT: 76/ 45

CARLSBAD AIRPORT: 76/ 56

SAN DIEGO: 79/ 55

RIALTO: 88/ 55

RIVERSIDE UCR: 89/ 48

TEMECULA: 87/ 47

FALLBROOK: 84/ 61

ESCONDIDO: 85/ 60

WILD ANIMAL PARK: 89/ 47

LA MESA: 83/ 58

SPRING VALLEY: 87/ 47

EL CARISO: 85/ 59

PALM SPRINGS: 85/ 52

INDIO: 89/ 54

Lo: 60.4F\ 15.7C

Hi: 86.5\ 30.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Nothing noteworthy to report from the San Francisco bay area, except it's been raining off and on for the past two days, day and night. Most of the time It's been drizzle or light rain. Temps. range from 50F to 60F. Except for the front back in Dec. which brought us cold nights, none of the fronts have had much punch with mostly dizzle or light rain, and scattered. More rain forcast for the rest of the week, and minimums in the 40's or 50's. It looks like we may end up with a "normal" rain fall for the year.....whatever "normal" is in Calif. Seems we have a lot of extremes.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I spoke to soon this morning, as the rain became heavier as the day progressed. The surface front passed through Walnut Creek about 1PM as there was a downpour of heavy rain for about 20 minutes, a few puffs of wind, and the temp. dropped from 55F, which it has been for about 24 hours, to 54F. I see no radar returns over the Pacific, and its getting lighter here, maybe some sun in another hour, but more rain forcast.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Rain, rain and more rain in N. Calif. Another wave of clouds moved through N. Calif. this morning and the SF Bay area got a good drenching, some of the heaviest rain for about 45 minutes that I've seen all year. More rain expected later today and for the next few days, also some cooler air, but nothing below the mid 30's for the next 10 days. Everything is soggy here and to wet to dig.

I haven't heard anything yet from the "officials," but I think the drought is over for this year. Northern Calif. has been getting hammered for the past week. The mountains have been getting over a foot of snow in a 24 hr. period. It's 51F here at noon and cloudy.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Rain, rain and more rain in N. Calif. Another wave of clouds moved through N. Calif. this morning and the SF Bay area got a good drenching, some of the heaviest rain for about 45 minutes that I've seen all year. More rain expected later today and for the next few days, also some cooler air, but nothing below the mid 30's for the next 10 days. Everything is soggy here and to wet to dig.

I haven't heard anything yet from the "officials," but I think the drought is over for this year. Northern Calif. has been getting hammered for the past week. The mountains have been getting over a foot of snow in a 24 hr. period. It's 51F here at noon and cloudy.

Dick

Dick,

Last I heard, they will not call off a drought conservation unless the snowpack reaches 120% of normal. It is currently (a/o yesterday's measurement) 90 % of of normal, a big improvement over the last one at 61%.

The state officials are going to hold us hostage to conservation and rate increases, no matter what the real situation is, mark my words.

Today's storm, and those that follow should put us over the top as to snowpack but it is unlikely we will hear good news.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Dick

Dick,

Last I heard, they will not call off a drought conservation unless the snowpack reaches 120% of normal. It is currently (a/o yesterday's measurement) 90 % of of normal, a big improvement over the last one at 61%.

The state officials are going to hold us hostage to conservation and rate increases, no matter what the real situation is, mark my words.

Today's storm, and those that follow should put us over the top as to snowpack but it is unlikely we will hear good news.

Key word, "rate increases".

Matt in Temecula, CA

No one was talking drought last year, when we were on our 3rd below average rainfall in a row. This year we are above average, but the state seems "politically invested" in this being a drought. I can't help but think this will all be related to and lumped with global climate change.

Edited by osideterry

They were talking drought last year Terry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So.... I'm really itchin to start spreading some fertilizer. Happ, tell me no more frost! I have to wait through this week because we're mandated no irrigation for a week, something about work on a treatment plant. But next week?......

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dick

Dick,

John, Last week I read in the San Jose Mercury that the water content of the Sierra Nevada Range was 120% of normal for the date and even 100% of normal if it was April 1. The actual water content is more important than the number of inches of snow on the ground. Also we're getting pounded with these current storms so I'd be confident to agree with Dick about the end to this drought...if there ever was one to begin with.

It will be cool and wet through Sunday with some much anticipated sunshine for next week. More rain is on the horizon after that. :) :) :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Dick

Dick... Same here... rain every day for a month.

Can't even get into my banana garden to weed.... the ground is soaking wet mush.

In todays newspaper, the state water resources claimed that we are still in a drought with manditory rationing and surcharges to go along with the floods and landslides and heavy rain.

The report said that in order to get out of this years drought... ( What drought ?) they we need 120% over normal snowpack in the sierra, we are only at 101% .....

All I can say....Bad water managment.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Matty - I very rarely heard drought mentioned in the media last year, and nothing about rationing. Most years SoCal gets below average rain, but it doesn't seem to matter until NoCal gets below average rain. I do agree one year above average can't make up for 3-4 with way below average rain. I also have gotten cynical about state government... once they declare it a drought, no amount of rain will change their minds.

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND I WON'T TAKE IT ANYMORE"!! (with my head out the window getting rained on) :) Actually, I never did see that movie.

Dick

Richard Douglas