IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

As Happ mentioned the latest rain slid just to the East of the Bay Area. I noticed you guys in the valley were getting all the moisture, and there were some pretty big buildups. Cool here this morning at 36 F and 31 forcast for tonight with a warming trend later in the week. I got about an inch and a half of rain from the latest series of storms and the ground is moist. Most locations in the Bay Area have only recieved half of normal rain. We need one big pineapple express.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I am surprised that the NWS isn't issuing frost advisories [even up in the Bay Area] but beware that cold temps will occur Tuesday morning. Wind will develop so most regions will stay above 40F\ 4.4C in SoCal except usual calm areas. Last night a violent thunderstorm dropped a couple inches of hail. Unfortunately it was too dark to get decent photos but I have never witnessed such heavy hail & some palms\ banana don't look at all happy this morning :bummed:

A nice warm-up this week.

Lo: 44F\ 6.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

low of 47F this morning. I wonder how cold it'll get tonight? I'm bummed that we got no measureable rain whatsoever.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

We have Frost Advisories from SoCalWeather.Org for the area. Winds will kick up in the Santa Ana Wind prone locations and they will be very cold as well into Tuesday, mainly North of San Diego into the LA/IE/OC/VT regions.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

At 5 AM, I'm reading 32.9 F, and Weather Underground reports lots of temps. in my area right at freezing, give or take a few degrees. Expected high today around 55F. Tonight will be another cold one, and then a warming trend.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Apparently it hit 38.8 out front sometime this morning... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

8:00 am and its still 31F. What seemed excessive is that at 5:30 AM it was 35F.

High 50's today going to 70 by end of the week, lows remain in the 30's

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

36.4F close to the house. Thick frost had to be scraped off my car windshield.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

It's 8:10 AM here and temp. bottomed out at 31.1F, exactly as forcast. Very white frost on roof tops, but no ice in the rain bucket. Expected high of low 60's today. Damn, I hate winter!!

Dick

Richard Douglas

39.4F this morning out in the open.

41F under canopy.

I can live with that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Good to hear Matty. Kept you out of the Frost Advisory in SD County. We are having moderate, but cold santa ana winds here.

--------------------

Chilly but generally safe minimums this morning & tomorrow should be about the same. Looks like the weather pattern is shifting back to La Nina conditions w/ sunny skies\ warm temps & windy into next week. No rain in sight :bummed:

Tuesday 01-27-09

LAX : 66/ 44

DOWNTOWN/USC : 68/ 44

MALIBU : 62/ 52

SANTA MONICA PIER : 66/ 49

BURBANK : 64/ 39

PASADENA : 65/ 43

WOODLAND HILLS : 60/ 35

POINT MUGU : 65/ 39

SANTA BARBARA CITY : 63/ 41

FULLERTON : 66/ 41

SANTA ANA : 69/ 42

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 67/ 42

LAKE FOREST : 68/ 43

OCEANSIDE HARBOR : 61/ 40

SOLANA BEACH : 61/ 42

SAN DIEGO : 62/ 45

ONTARIO : 63/ 40

RIALTO : 60/ 41

RIVERSIDE UCR : 64/ 37

TEMECULA : 60/ 35

SAN MARCOS : 64/ 41

RANCHO BERNARDO : 62/ 37

LA MESA : 62/ 40

PALM SPRINGS : 63/ 45

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lox

My low: 44F\ 6.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The climate at my new house in University City is unbelievable. I hit 35F last night. Two other sensors in the area on weatherunderground also hit 35F. This is lower than every reading Happ posted except for two. So my place, about 1 1/2 miles from the ocean, at the top of a canyon is as cold as Temecula. Go figure!!!??? Mount Soledad, to my West is doing some weird mojo on my microclimate. I've had some nights where I'm within a couple degrees of Lindbergh field, and then other nights 10 degrees colder.

Looks like I'll have to start driving up to the central valley to buy cold tolerant palms.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt

Your "canyon" location can be problematic. Is your garden on a slope? Do you regularly experience wind at night?

Here are some weather stations near you: look under "San Diego" http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mes...gi?state=LOXfwz

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, the pattern is more neutral now. The amplification of the troughs are evident and no zonal flow is present, thus we will enter a storm window a week from now. Rain is in sight, however not in the "near" for say term. All I can say is Feb better be better than January.

--------------------

Down to 32F here this morning. I was in Florida yesterday, but my wife said I had a light frost. R. rivularis, D. fineleaf, and H. coriacea are my hardest hit so far this winter. All with apx. 50% damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

The climate at my new house in University City is unbelievable. I hit 35F last night. Two other sensors in the area on weatherunderground also hit 35F. This is lower than every reading Happ posted except for two. So my place, about 1 1/2 miles from the ocean, at the top of a canyon is as cold as Temecula. Go figure!!!??? Mount Soledad, to my West is doing some weird mojo on my microclimate. I've had some nights where I'm within a couple degrees of Lindbergh field, and then other nights 10 degrees colder.

Looks like I'll have to start driving up to the central valley to buy cold tolerant palms.

Matt

Welcome to my world Matt. The Ocean so close by, yet so far.

I saw it hit 34.9 some time out back last night. Back up in the high 38's by 545am. Currently.....Ooops! 37.0 in back right now, 38.3 out front. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Before you panic Matt, remember that if you're on a slope, you can sometimes get away with lower absolute temperatures due to good air drainage. Also, if the slope is south facing that's a bonus as well.

San Fernando Valley, California

Before you panic Matt, remember that if you're on a slope, you can sometimes get away with lower absolute temperatures due to good air drainage. Also, if the slope is south facing that's a bonus as well.

So, this is something I must not understand well. I'm on a slope, too. It faces north-east. What tends to happen at night is the temp will really drop quickly after sunset, but then it will level off and kind of bounce around some value (always above freezing except maybe every 10 years?). I can actually feel a downhill wind, which I assume is the heavier cold air sinking down into the lower elevations. The lower elevations start off at a higher temp in the evening and then the temp pretty consistently drops all night. At some point, usually around midnight or a bit later, there is a cross-over point and the folks downhill from me will get lower temps and frost. For example, this a.m., I don't even see frost on my cars outside, but it's all over my neighbor's cars and roofs.

It seems you are saying that you are getting a short duration of very cold temps but a fast recovery. That sounds more like what I see downhill from me. Maybe this is a southern vs. northern CA things (drier air)?

Generally, I find that 32 F without frost is less damaging than a higher temp (e.g., 34 F) with frost. About once or twice per year (most years), my yard will get down to around 32. I never really see any damage.

I'm curious about this topic, since we may be moving, and I want to try to find a "sweet spot" for temps. Thanks.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

My low this morning is exactly 32F and the barometric pressure is very high. It has been reading 30.50 for several hours. Warmer days forcast for this week but nights still dipping down to the low 30's. The good news is the day length is increasing about 2 minutes a day at my latitude. That means by the end of Feb. day light will be an hour longer.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Looks like some pretty good santa ana winds tonight and through the day Thursday.

--------------------

36.3F. At least my place is consistent..

43F out in the open

46F under canopy

To water or not to water....that is the question.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

This winter has been a total trip. We have seen the whole range of weather patterns. We had weeks of unseasonably hot and dry days but with chilly lows at night. Then we had down pours with as much as 8" of rain in two weeks. My palms are confused! It seems like most of my spears are opening a bit early due to the rapid change in temps. Like Matty said its tough to decide whether to water or not. Hurry up March!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

With 20% relative humidity I am watering again esp in prolonged santa ana conditions. I intentionally did not refurbish mulch so that soil would have direct sunlight during winter. I also have many shallow rooted palms. Most are doing fairly well but after a hailstorm Saturday night vietchia look horrible :(

WEDNESDAY 01-28-09

GETTY CENTER : 72/ 50

LAX : 66/ 45

DOWNTOWN/USC : 75/ 46

SANTA MONICA ARPT : 68/ 43

UCLA : 73/ 49

BURBANK : 73/ 39

PASADENA : 74/ 43

WOODLAND HILLS : 73/ 32

FILLMORE : 74/ 35

SIMI VALLEY : 71/ 45

SANTA BARBARA : 68/ 42

PISMO BEACH : 70/ 42

FULLERTON : 75/ 39

ANAHEIM : 75/ 42

DANA POINT : 62/ 44

LAKE FOREST : 72/ 47

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 66/ 33

VISTA : 68/ 40

MIRAMAR : 68/ 36

SAN DIEGO : 66/ 44

RIALTO : 72/ 43

RIVERSIDE UCR : 79/ 37

TEMECULA : 75/ 32

ESCONDIDO : 74/ 40

EL CAJON : 75/ 35

EL CARISO : 70/ 44

PALM SPRINGS : 71/ 38

My low: 48F\ 8.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I think I'm happy I don't see the Oceanside airport where I live....

Ice on my truck again this morning. How I love high pressure systems. 50 degree temperature swings, zero percent humidity; what's not to love as a palm grower? Matt, I know your pain. I have to get through this 3 month window every year without going crazy. Then it's the perfect location for 9 months, so much so that by early July I have forgotten how friggin' cold it was, and I'm buying a Cocos at Home Depot, thinking to myself "it really was a pretty mild winter this past year, this should do fine". I have instructed my wife to plant a 2x4 between my eyes if I do that again this year.

Bret

Edited by quaman58

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bill,

I'm not in your world...try the Oceanside airport. I hit 33.4 last night. But hey, my plants all look OK and I've only seen ice on horizontal surfaces, not frozen buckets of water, or frost on leaves. But a cold winter might be different.

Happ and Peter, I'm on a south facing slope at the very top edge of a deep canyon. So while my lows are unbelievably low, it heats up VERY fast in the morning (up to 15F per hour from 8-10AM), and I get good warmth throughout the day. My property is also pretty big and surrounded by 0.5 to nearly 1 acre lots with almost zero trees. So hopefully once I get a jungle going I can trap some heat in at night.

Bret, do you have a hi-lo thermometer? I'm curious if we're tracking about the same so at least I can assume that your Jan 2007 temps are the worst I'll see. If I'm colder than you, then I might have to stick to Washingtonias.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Wait a second...Bret, you said a "3 month window"?? At my old place it was more like a 4-6 week window (Dec. 15th through mid to late January). Do you get icy morning in February??

Matt

San Diego

I woke up very early this morning, and it was 40F at 3:30 AM. A little later, while sitting at my computer, I heard the russle of wind blowing through my Washingtonias. I glanced at my electronic temp. probe and the temp. had rapidly climbed to 46F. This is a "Diablo" wind and I expect today will be much warmer than forcast. This seems like a repeat of what we had a couple of weeks ago.

Dick

Richard Douglas

No Matt, I need to get a Hi-Lo thermometer. Regarding the 3 month comment, I've had near frosts as early as Dec 10th and as late as Feb. 12th give or take. (Fortunately not in the same year.) So, make it a dicey 2-1/2 months. Feel better? :mrlooney:

Edited by quaman58

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Low this morning was 50° at 5:30. Many of my tropicals are waking up. I am trying to watch the water.

I am holding off on pruning until the President's Day Holiday, but at this rate, I may start trimming in a week.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

51F out in the open

55F under canopy

Expected to get into the 80's today.

Now that's nice!!!!!!!

Matt P.,

You might consider planting a hedge of oleanders or something dense and inpenetrable at the north and east sides of your property to block and redirect cold air from upslope to around your property. Just a thought.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I plant brugmansia & sesbania around small palms to provide a low canopy.

Many windy areas remained above 60F\ 15.5C overnight.

Lo: 56F\ 13.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Minimums are over the map depending of wind.

GETTY CENTER : 73/ 59

LAX : 78/ 46

DOWNTOWN/USC : 80/ 47

SANTA MONICA : 81/ 47

UCLA : 80/ 58

MALIBU : 76/ 65

CHATSWORTH : 73/ 61

PASADENA : 80/ 50

VAN NUYS : 75/ 60

FILLMORE : 76/ 65

THOUSAND OAKS : 72/ 59

SANTA BARBARA : 76/ 46

FULLERTON : 81/ 45

NEWPORT BEACH : 79/ 50

LAKE FOREST : 79/ 59

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 82/ 34

CARLSBAD : 80/ 49

SAN DIEGO : 75/ 47

ONTARIO : 76/ 62

CHINO : 76/ 63

RIVERSIDE UCR : 75/ 47

TEMECULA : 73/ 40

SAN MARCOS : 80/ 47

SANTEE : 79/ 38

PALM SPRINGS : 75/ 52

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I just reviewd the Calif. winter low thread and it makes a great diary. I can see my low for the winter (so far) was 27 F on Jan 4th. Most of December was foggy and overcast, so that kept the lows above freezing, but cool days. With the presistant highs over Calif. in Jan with no clouds, we have had chilly nights right around freezing but warm toasty days. All in all, this Jan. has been much warmer than the norm.

If I can get away with a low of 27 F I'd be happy, but I know winter isn't over yet. I notice a lot of my plants are waking up from the winter chill and I'll have blooming daffodils in another week. My Brahea elegans is pushing out bloom spikes, and it didn't bloom at all last year.

It's 36F here this morning, and another mild, sunny day expected. I'm begining to feel the urge of spring.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick

Some nice temps in the Bay Area & how the ocean modifies minimums.

01-28-09

SAN RAFAEL : 61/ 41

REDWOOD CITY : 70/ 39

SAN FRANCISCO : 68/ 50

HAYWARD : 70/ 46

OAKLAND : 70/ 45

MOFFETT FIELD : 73/ 42

MONTEREY : 73/ 42

SALINAS : 71/ 45

Some windy areas barely dipped below 70F\ 21.1C overnight but winds will lower significantly this weekend.

Lo: 60F\ 15.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

53F out in the open

58F under canopy

Can't ask for a better end to January.

I did water as the santa ana winds kicked up yesterday afternoon, encouraging me. Is it too early to say that P. pacifica and P. thurstonii, in the ground, are still growing? Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The winds will only lower on Saturday, but will be back Late Sunday into Monday (but on a lighter scale). Chance of rain by end next week looks real good right now.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Oceanside airport continues to blow. 34F! It was 42F at my house. Being 40 ft above the river channel saved me 12F.

I wonder what Gonzer's lows have been like? He's pretty much in the bottom of the San Luis Rey, like the airport.