IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

Yesterday, high of 70°. This morning, low of 40°-again, briefly. I seem to hover around 42° in the coldest part of the garden. Most of the yard is in mid-40s,.

I am holding back on water this year and things look a lot better. I will probably resume watering next week, if we don't have rain on the horizon.

BTW-harvested a pineapple this morning. :greenthumb:

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Boy it was cold last night. I wasn't paying attention to the weather so it snuck up on me.

out in the open, 40.1F

under the tree, 43.5F

Bottle palm is thrashed after so many 40F degree nights out in the open.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Boy it was cold last night. I wasn't paying attention to the weather so it snuck up on me.

out in the open, 40.1F

under the tree, 43.5F

Well, 40F is cold for you guys, but I'll take it! We "only" got down to the upper 30s last night because the cloud cover came in faster than expected on the peninsula. It was 32.2F the night before (2nd coldest night of the year after our one night of 31.7F in Dec.). I'm surprised that nothing is showing damage even with the cold daytime temps (barely 50F some days). I even have one very slightly protected tomato plant still growing. Go figure!

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Crap. . .I didn't realize how cold it was going to be last night/this morning. . .I believe it got down to 28 or so and stayed under freezing for quite a few hours. . .I didn't even cover any plants because I didn't realize what a cold night it was supposed to be. . .well, I guess I'll get to figure out what can handle cold and what can't :(

out in the open, 40.1F

under the tree, 43.5F

It was fairly warm at my place last night, my low this morning was just under 8C (45F). My bottles were trashed when I got home after Christmas, I think from the morning near 2C (36F) on Dec 26...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I guess that rules out bottle palms for me. Not interested in dragging one in and out every time it gets cold.

How touchy are spindles? I know Clark, Multiflora, and others have nice ones growing in areas I know saw freezing temps. I left a 5-gallon one outside last night. Looked fine this morning.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Whenever you feel Northeast winds, and see low cumulus clouds in the sky, please remember that it will be downright cold that night due to the dry air / clearing skies. That's a hint.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

out in the open, 40.1F

under the tree, 43.5F

It was fairly warm at my place last night, my low this morning was just under 8C (45F). My bottles were trashed when I got home after Christmas, I think from the morning near 2C (36F) on Dec 26...

Jack,

I think we're blessed with a warm enough microclimate to string us along growing a palm that's gonna look crappy every Spring. I've alligned my thoughts towards it as to that of a deciduous plant; it'll loose it's leaves every year and come back looking pretty darn sweet by the end of summertime. My next challenge is to get the canopy dialed in just right for the Carpoxylon to stop spotting. I think I can do it with a filtered overhead canopy (3 foxtails surrounding it) and an open south side to let the winter sun in. That and dog tumor juice are my secret weapons.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's sad to see palms deteriorate so fast but as others have noted, cold nights [even well above freezing] do a number on borderline trees. So far, majesty\ royal\ foxtail\ king\ various caryota\ pritchardia & a calyptrona look OK [can't claim the same for other palms :sick:

Clouds & wind kept temps up overnight but inland valley's reported 30's. 44F\ 6.6C at my location. Here are some other readings:

LAX : 42F

DOWNTOWN : 41F

MALIBU : 45F

SANTA MONICA : 46F

WEST LA : 44F

BURBANK : 35F

WOODLAND HILLS : 29F

OJAI : 27F

SIMI VALLEY : 37F

SANTA BARBARA : 40F

SANTA YNEZ : 28F

FULLERTON : 39F

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 38F

DANA POINT : 42F

LAKE FOREST : 43F

OCEANSIDE : 33F

CARLSBAD : 40F

SOLANA BEACH : 42F

DEL MAR : 42

MONTGOMERY FIELD : 40F

SAN DIEGO : 45F

CABRILLO MNMT : 45F

ONTARIO : 34F

RIALTO : 41F

RIVERSIDE : 37F

TEMECULA : 31

SAN MARCOS : 40F

RANCHO BERNARDO : 38F

LA MESA :43F

PALM SPRINGS : 35F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I guess that rules out bottle palms for me. Not interested in dragging one in and out every time it gets cold.

How touchy are spindles? I know Clark, Multiflora, and others have nice ones growing in areas I know saw freezing temps. I left a 5-gallon one outside last night. Looked fine this morning.

My spindle has been in the ground for two years now. It was not damage even a little in the 2007 freeze. Bummer, I should have bought more because it is slow, at least for me.

Night before last it got down to 27F for quite a few hours. This morning with clouds moving in over night the low was 40. 27F truned all the foliage on the alocasis to mush and all the cannas are black, but I was going to chop the cannas back next week anyway. They will all come back in the spring. Nothing drastic forcast here for the next week and warming trend next weekend.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Matt,

I see your 34 F with clear skys this morning, and I'm 41 with overcast. Clouds sure make a difference. We probably won't go over 50 F today, and I bet you get much warmer. That's the difference in Southern and Northern Calif. You guys usually run about 10 degrees warmer for your lows, and much warmer for your highs. Damn, I miss Florida sometimes.....but not their summers.

I used to layover in Miami in June and Paul Drummond would come pick me up and we would go to his place or Fairchild. When he delivered me back to my hotel, I was wilted from the humidity and heat. Over all the Calif. climate is hard to beat.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick,

The sun is just starting to come up here and we dropped into the 33F range, might even see 32. Yesterday was the worse by far. My palm neighbor behind my house down in the valley saw 23F yesterday, Brrrrrrrrr. Our high is looking like 60-65F and 70's tomorrow. Hopefully it will get the soil warmed up a bit. I think my temps are almost exactly what you get with similar sky conditions. I just think we get less frequent cloud cover.

Here are my temps for yesterday.

post-1261-1231252591_thumb.jpg

I am really hoping there is something to that product "Freeze Pruf" that is due to come out soon, as it should at least keep the stuff I have protected, and might allow me to grow a few more types.

I hear you about the Florida wx, it can be torturous in the summer, and I don't do well in humidity. I usually go on a little expedition when I get to the layover hotel and come back drenched.

I just double checked my temp before I post this and it looks like 33.3F for today.

Here's to warmer days soon,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

40F in Oceanside. Felt colder. Nothing scary in the 2-week forecast. If we can get past January, we rarely ever see anything lower than mid 30s in February.

43F out in the open

46F under the tree

100F in my bed

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

More chilly days & nights but nothing too unseasonable. NWS noted today that the last 3 weeks have been below normal [something palm growers painfully know :wacko: The long awaited warming looks on track for late this week & as Kevin Martin posted, santa ana winds may be fierce in usual wind-prone areas.

Today's readings:

LAX : 59/ 45

DOWNTOWN : 65/ 46

SANTA MONICA : 60/ 48

BURBANK : 63/ 40

PASADENA : 62/ 43

WOODLAND HILLS : 66/ 33

CAMARILLO : 60/ 35

SIMI VALLEY : 64/ 40

SANTA BARBARA : 63/ 43

SANTA YNEZ : 65/ 35

FULLERTON : 65/ 43

SANTA ANA : 67/ 42

DANA POINT : 60/ 45

OCEANSIDE : 59/ 42

MIRAMAR : 62/ 43

SAN DIEGO : 61/ 49

RIALTO : 69/ 37

RIVERSIDE : 68/ 36

TEMECULA : 68/ 34

LA MESA : 63/ 44

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

My gut tells me to water before the Santa Ana, but everything is still moist under the mulch despite no water for 2 weeks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My gut tells me to water before the Santa Ana, but everything is still moist under the mulch despite no water for 2 weeks.

Same here, But I decided to fire them up for a short run anyways.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Nice recovery today & should warm into the weekend [though tomorrow may include fog]. Dew points are fairly low & will drop considerably. I am lightly watering even though some palms look jaundice [contrary to not watering during winter as I have done in the past].

LAX : 63/ 46

DOWNTOWN : 71/ 46

SANTA MONICA : 62/ 49

WEST LA : 69/ 48

BURBANK : 72/ 41

CHATSWORTH : 75/ 40

PASADENA : 71/ 46

THOUSAND OAKS : 68/ 40

SANTA BARBARA : 63/ 43

SANTA YNEZ : 69/ 35

FULLERTON : 73/ 42

SANTA ANA : 75/ 43

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 67/ 42

LAKE FOREST : 73/ 47

OCEANSIDE : 65/ 37

SOLANA BEACH : 62/ 45

MIRAMAR : 69/ 41

SAN DIEGO : 69/ 47

CHULA VISTA : 70/ 44

ONTARIO : 72/ 42

RIALTO : 79/ 42

RIVERSIDE : 79/ 40

TEMECULA : 74/ 38

SAN PASQUAL: 79/ 40

EL CAJON : 78/ 41

EL CARISO : 72/ 50

PALM SPRINGS : 71/ 43

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Its a good thing I'm a happy guy or I'd be depressed everytime Happ posts Oceanside being the coldest place around... :lol: Also, when I have a killer garden, everyone will be that much more impressed.! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

50F for my low this morning. That's a nice change.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I barely touched 55 F the last two days with lows of 42F. It's been overcast and/or foggy and misserable, but I guess this is a typical N. Calif. winter. as it could be worse. The sun came out today for about 30 minutes.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Some fog here & there along the immediate coastline but sunny & mild elsewhere. Basically uneventful weather but that should change tomorrow night w/ high winds.

Today across SoCal:

LAX : 57/ 47

DOWNTOWN : 68/ 48

SANTA MONICA : 58/ 50

BURBANK : 72/ 43

PASADENA : 71/ 49

WOODLAND HILLS : 76/ 38

SIMI VALLEY : 71/ 45

SANTA YNEZ : 64/ 35

YORBA LINDA : 67/ 44

NEWPORT BEACH : 62/ 49

LAKE FOREST : 70/ 51

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 64/ 37

MONTGOMERY FIELD : 70/ 47

SAN DIEGO : 63/ 49

ONTARIO : 74/ 45

RIVERSIDE : 77/ 44

TEMECULA : 76/ 39

ESCONDIDO : 75/ 50

SANTEE : 71/ 42

EL CARISO : 76/ 55

BORREGO SPRINGS: 73/ 44

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Thanks Happ... Oceanside somehow colder than Temecula again. Thank God Bill and I never see airport temps. That place is a hole.

Thanks Happ... Oceanside somehow colder than Temecula again. Thank God Bill and I never see airport temps. That place is a hole.

Misery love company Terry :mrlooney: J/K My neighbor is in a hole like the O town airport and he regularly records temps 5F to 7F less than me and he is so close I can shoot his windows out with a BB gun. I typically end up as cold or colder than the Temecula forecasts as well.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt - While I was sitting at 33F last Tuesday morning, it was 27F at the airport.

That said, I was just outside and noticed some real leaf burn to my A. alexandra. It's in the most exposed southwest side of my yard with zero canopy. I need to put a sensor there, as I suspect it saw below freezing.

Clear skys and a low of 32.5 F this morning with a white frost. Day time highs forcast to be in the lower 70's the next few days, but night time lows still in the 30's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Nice day though certainly windy in areas [esp San Fernando\ San Bernardino valleys]. More of the same this weekend with gradual warming into next week. Should stay sunny & warm for a while B)

Today's readings:

AVALON : 69/ 52

LAX : 64/ 50

DOWNTOWN : 72/ 52

MALIBU : 74/ 50

SANTA MONICA : 66/ 47

BURBANK : 76/ 46

PASADENA : 71/ 46

OJAI : 70/ 35

POINT MUGU : 73/ 48

SANTA BARBARA : 67/ 47

SANTA YNEZ : 67/ 34

FULLERTON : 76/ 51

SANTA ANA : 77/ 50

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 75/ 50

DANA POINT : 60/ 51

LAKE FOREST : 77/ 44

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 62/ 51

VISTA : 70/ 45

DEL MAR : 63/ 52

SAN DIEGO : 62/ 53

ONTARIO : 75/ 45

RIVERSIDE AIRPORT : 71/ 45

TEMECULA : 74/ 39

SAN PASQUAL : 80/ 43

SANTEE : 75/ 51

PALM SPRINGS : 74/ 47

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was 37F this morning, which is not a surprise with low humidity. 2F lower than anyone forecast. Just bad enough to keep my bananas marching toward ugliness. I think I'll prune them all way back today, and hack the cannas to the ground.

Pretty much a carbon copy of yesterday. Where it is windy it is "very" windy otherwise it is just fine though humidity levels are quite low & should stay that way for several more days. No rain in the long-range outlook.

SoCal today:

AVALON HARBOR : 72/ 52

LAX : 71/ 44

DOWNTOWN : 75/ 45

MALIBU : 76/ 64

SANTA MONICA : 75/ 52

WEST LA : 74/ 58

BURBANK : 78/ 43

PASADENA : 72/ 45

WOODLAND HILLS : 69/ 57

CAMARILLO : 72/ 60

VENTURA : 74/ 58

GOLETA : 67/ 35

FULLERTON : 77/ 44

ANAHEIM : 79/ 59

SANTA ANA : 77/ 60

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 79/ 58

NEWPORT BEACH : 75/ 53

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 79/ 33

DEL MAR : 81/ 49

SAN DIEGO : 76/ 45

ONTARIO : 74/ 56

RIVERSIDE AIRPORT : 72/ 51

TEMECULA : 73/ 48

FALLBROOK : 75/ 56

ESCONDIDO : 78/ 55

RANCHO BERNARDO : 73/ 59

EL CAJON : 80/ 39

LEMON GROVE : 72/ 43

PALM SPRINGS : 72/ 50

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Perfect "chamber of commerce" weather today across California & more of the same this week. I did water thoroughly due to extremely low relative humidity & gusty winds.

SoCal Today:

LAX : 79/ 46

DOWNTOWN : 83/ 48 /

SANTA MONICA : 80/ 47

WEST LA : 85/ 57

MALIBU : 88/ 66

CHATSWORTH : 81/ 63

PASADENA : 79/ 50

WOODLAND HILLS : 80/ 63

OXNARD : 84/ 56

SANTA BARBARA :75/ 46

SANTA YNEZ : 77/ 33

FULLERTON : 83/ 43

ANAHEIM : 86/ 54

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 84/ 45

NEWPORT BEACH : 82/ 56

LAKE FOREST : 88/ 59

OCEANSIDE : 80/ 49

CARLSBAD : 80/ 53

MIRAMAR : 81/ 46

SAN DIEGO : 75/ 47

RIALTO : 79/ 65

RIVERSIDE : 83/55

TEMECULA : 82/ 47

ESCONDIDO : 84/ 56

POWAY : 85/ 52

EL CAJON : 82/ 41

EL CARISO : 73/ 58

PALM SPRINGS : 84/ 48

EL CENTRO : 77/ 40

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Wow, I'm not going to report my low today, My high was almost 83F. It was a very nice summer day here in Temecula.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Gorgeous weather up here too with low to mid 70s. Should last quite a few days as well. I'm lovin' it!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Gorgeous weather up here too with low to mid 70s. Should last quite a few days as well. I'm lovin' it!

The past 4 or 5 days we have had mid day sunshine, but today was the best! On February 1st ill feel even better. :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

At sunrise it was 61F. What a change from a week ago! With these down sloping winds I wonder if it will be a scorcher today, relatively speaking. We'll see.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Quite likely some records broken today for maximum temps throughout California on a winter day in mid-January [even in northern California]. No complaints but humidity\ dew points are dangerously low. Due to the heavy rains last month there have been no reports of fire but this pattern will not change for the week though winds should lower. Visibility was more than 50 miles today. Maybe Terry & Bill will get some photos of Mt San Jacinto :mrlooney:

Temps in California today: [note some of the minimums - ie. Malibu]

NWS_LA 1-12-09

AVALON HARBOR : 80/ 61 / 0.00 /

LAX : 84/ 50

DOWNTOWN : 88/ 51

MALIBU : 87/ 76

SANTA MONICA : 77/ 61

WEST LA\ UCLA : 86/ 64

BURBANK : 87/ 52

CHATSWORTH : 81/ 69

PASADENA : 84/ 53

VAN NUYS : 84/ 66

FILLMORE : 84/ 68

OJAI : 81/ 37

OXNARD : 86/ 68

THOUSAND OAKS : 79/ 66

SANTA YNEZ : 81/ 35

FULLERTON : 89/ 52

SANTA ANA : 90/ 62

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 88/ 49

NEWPORT BEACH : 85/ 55

LAKE FOREST : 87/ 68 / 0.00 /

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 89/ 41

CARLSBAD : 87/ 55

SAN DIEGO : 81/ 52

ONTARIO : 87/ 55

RIALTO : 79/ 66

RIVERSIDE : 84/ 51

ESCONDIDO : 89/ 63

POWAY : 83/ 65

SANTEE : 88/ 54

PALM SPRINGS : 83/ 58

NAPA : 80/ 39

SANTA ROSA : 84/ 47

SONOMA : 82/ 43

CONCORD : 74/ 45

OAKLAND : 77/ 49

SAN FRANCISCO : 74/ 52

BIG SUR : 80/ 36

MONTEREY : 76/ 54

HOLLISTER : 80/ 44

SAN LUIS OBISPO : 82/ 47

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

12 AM - 26 C - 79 F and some santa ana wind. tijuana is in right now probably the most warmest city in mexico. :mrlooney:

not california but not far.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Yesterday was about as good as it gets in the SF Bay area, in fact some records were broken. It started out warm with mild Sana Anna winds and a high of around 75F. More of the same for the next few days. This is particularly nice for N. Calif, as this is that critical, short day period when we could have our coldest weather. I wish that big high would hang around for the rest of the month, except we are very dry and I have to water today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yesterday was about as good as it gets in the SF Bay area, in fact some records were broken. It started out warm with mild Sana Anna winds and a high of around 75F. More of the same for the next few days. This is particularly nice for N. Calif, as this is that critical, short day period when we could have our coldest weather. I wish that big high would hang around for the rest of the month, except we are very dry and I have to water today.

Dick

Glad you are getting some warmth! Actually the off-shore\ east winds you are experiencing are referred to as "Diablo" winds for Mt Diablo which you can probably see from your home, right? They truly can become "devil" winds [ie Oakland fire 1991]. It is helpful to have warm weather during the most susceptible time of year for frost.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Another day of both warm minimum & maximum temperatures due to down-sloping east winds over California. More of the same weather into the weedend then it should cool down to more seasonal values. No rain in sight as the entire nation goes dry :(

Tuesday 1-13-09

AVALON HARBOR : 80/ 64 /

LAX : 80/ 57

DOWNTOWN : 85/ 54

SANTA MONICA : 77/ 61

WEST LA\ UCLA : 83/ 68

MALIBU : 88/ 74

CHATSWORTH : 80/ 69

PASADENA : 84/ 57

VAN NUYS : 84/ 68

WOODLAND HILLS : 81/ 67

CAMARILLO : 82/ 69