IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

Today after a morning fog, and then sunshine and a high of only about 58 F, a dense fog appeared in about 3 minutes about an hour before sunset. It's 46F now with a dense fog. I expect a low of about 37F tonight. Better the fog than clear and frost. It's unusual for fog to appear here so early.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Another mild winter day but the immediate coastline experienced low fog most of the day with chilly day temps. Eventually that onshore push will move inland with cooling temps into the weekend. Slight chance of showers but won't bet on it. Minimums should stay well-above freezing everywhere in SoCal. Next week looks really nice B)

Max\ Min today:

West LA : 69/ 54

Downtown : 68/ 46

Santa Monica : 57/ 43

Chatsworth : 75/ 42

Pasadena : 73/ 48

Simi Valley : 71/ 44

Fullerton : 68/ 44

Oceanside : 62/ 33

Encinitas : 63/ 40

Montgomery Field : 70/ 44

Cabrillo Mnmt : 54/ 38

Ontario : 70/ 46

Riverside : 78/ 41

Temecula : 75/ 37

Escondido : 72/ 48

El Cajon : 71/ 39

Indio : 77/ 43

Jill, what is it about Pt Loma that attracts cold air?

Crazy that Oside's low is 7 degrees cooler than Encinitas. But as Bill may point out maybe they had their thermometers in the wrong place :mrlooney: .

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Another mild winter day but the immediate coastline experienced low fog most of the day with chilly day temps. Eventually that onshore push will move inland with cooling temps into the weekend. Slight chance of showers but won't bet on it. Minimums should stay well-above freezing everywhere in SoCal. Next week looks really nice B)

Max\ Min today:

Crazy that Oside's low is 7 degrees cooler than Encinitas. But as Bill may point out maybe they had their thermometers in the wrong place :mrlooney: .

Oceanside is not consistent, sometimes taken at the pier( 1/4 mile out over the ocean) or the airport. Usually the airport, at the bottom of the San Luis Rey River valley. I'm usually about 4F warmer that the airport. But yep, still colder than you. :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The weather is misserable in the San Francisco Bay area this morning. There is a cold fog and overcast and low 40's throughout the Bay Area. I guess this is typical for this time of the year and at least, no freezing temps. forcast for the next week. Rain is forcast for tomorrow.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Foggy here too still at 10AM. Last night's low was 46F. Like the last few days, though, the sun should pop out around noon with highs in the mid to upper 50s.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

We're in the mid-60s-may hit 70° at home here today.Beautiful day. Actually had dew last night. Low was briefly 40°.

Hoping for warm rains soon.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Max\ Min today:

I noticed that the coast of LA County was socked in all day yesterday. It was sunny along the coast all day here and we topped out at around 65F at Lindbergh.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Max\ Min today:

I noticed that the coast of LA County was socked in all day yesterday. It was sunny along the coast all day here and we topped out at around 65F at Lindbergh.

Right. Where it stays foggy it is cold [inversion is only 400']. Current noon conditions illustrate this well:

LAX : 53F\ 11.6C

Downtown : 65F\ 18.3C

San Rafael Hills : 75F\ 23.8C

Another Rose Bowl under California sunshine :D Go USC!

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

High of 46 today.....colling to high 30's, cloudy today, rainish tomorrow

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Today is an example of how coastal fog retards temps yet inland just a few miles it was warm & sunny. Weak systems spinning out of the north Pacific will lower temps & bring cloudiness but rainfall looks unlikely. Next week will be warm & dry [no rain in sight unfortunately].

1/1/09 NWS_LA

LAX : 54/ 45

DOWNTOWN : 68/ 46

SANTA MONICA : 57/ 44

CHATSWORTH : 78/ 40

PASADENA : 73/ 47

WOODLAND HILLS : 74/ 33

SANTA PAULA : 75/ 36

POINT MUGU : 54/ 43

SIMI VALLEY : 74/ 42

FULLERTON : 67/ 42

NEWPORT BEACH : 60/ 47

DANA POINT : 53/ 44

VISTA : 67/ 40

DEL MAR : 61/ 39

MIRAMAR : 67/ 55

SAN DIEGO : 60/ 44

ONTARIO : 70/ 41

RIALTO : 75 / 44

RIVERSIDE : 79/ 39

TEMECULA : 76/ 38

ESCONDIDO : 73/ 46

SAN PASQUAL : 77/ 34

RANCHO BERNARDO : 67/ 41

SANTEE : 71/ 38

LEMON GROVE : 68/ 40

INDIO : 74/ 45

Hope the presenting of these readings help identify climate zones. Inland can be much warmer during the day & much colder at night in places. San Diego county is riddled with micro-climates while LA is more consistently frost-free.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hesitate to use the word "balmy" but that's the way it feels this morning with a temp. of 49F. With an approaching weather system there is a southerly airflow and the humidity is high. Scattered showers forcast for later today, but this looks like a weak system so I don't expect much rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Inland can be much warmer during the day & much colder at night in places. San Diego county is riddled with micro-climates while LA is more consistently frost-free.

Happ-

That thought has been in the back of my head for some time, but its good to see you note that also!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Inland can be much warmer during the day & much colder at night in places. San Diego county is riddled with micro-climates while LA is more consistently frost-free.

Happ-

That thought has been in the back of my head for some time, but its good to see you note that also!

San Diego county is probably the most difficult area to forecast minimums during winter because of so many topographic variables.

Low fog moved inland overnight & should slowly rise as the day progresses. More fog tonight which, of-course, guarantees above freezing temps. There will be an intrusion of cold air into Northern California this weekend that could result in inland frost [so beware Dick & Jim in Los Altos].

Lo: 47F\ 8.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Low fog moved inland overnight & should slowly rise as the day progresses. More fog tonight which, of-course, guarantees above freezing temps. There will be an intrusion of cold air into Northern California this weekend that could result in inland frost [so beware Dick & Jim in Los Altos].

Lo: 47F\ 8.3C

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Boy, what a difference a day makes! Low fog hung around all day well into the valleys & dropped maximums by around 20 degrees from yesterday. Saturday could be a repeat of the same until a dying cold front clears the fog & raises maximum temps on Sunday but lowers minimum temps [could get real chilly in places :unsure:

LAX : 53/ 48

DOWNTOWN : 55/ 49

SANTA MONICA : 53/ 48

PASADENA : 53/ 44

OJAI : 57/ 34

YORBA LINDA : 68/ 39

SANTA ANA : 57/ 42

OCEANSIDE : 53/ 45

SOLANA BEACH : 54/ 46

SAN DIEGO : 53/ 49

RIALTO : 67/ 42

RIVERSIDE : 63/ 39

TEMECULA : 63/ 38

SAN MARCOS : 68/ 43

EL CAJON : 65/ 44

EL CARISO : 69/ 43

INDIO : 70/ 44

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Saved once again by low overcast and/or fog. 37 F here this morning. Overcast or fog seems to be a trend here for the past couple of weeks over night, so I hope it continues. I only got a sprinkle from the front that moved through yesterday.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Stayed crystal clear last night here and my low this morning (7AM) was 41F. Looks like it will be a few degrees cooler tonight though.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Out morning coldest temp hit 32F for a short time and is now 37F at 9:46 am.

Expectations are for sub-30 tonight. Without any cloud cover (there is that big orange circle in the sky today, identification to be determined) I expect tonight to be the coldest of the season (I would have said for the year, but it would have made little sense and drawn many snarks).

John Case

Brentwood CA

I spoke to soon this morning. The overcast cleared out and the temp dropped to 35 with a light frost. It's chilly today and I agree, John, tonight will be cold. I may throw a sheet over a few things. I'm not to worried about the palms, but I have an aloe in full bloom and would hate to lose that.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - As usual, we're 1 day behind you. Sunday night my forecast is 33-35F. I'll pull all the pots close to house under the back deck - a 12'x18' canopy. Not worth doing the garage haul for one night of this.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I think we're getting down to freezing tonight. It's already in the mid-30s, and the night is young. I can feel a breeze, though, so I don't think we'll get serious frost.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Good luck up north :o there is fog forming in the the San Joaquin valley & some high clouds but precautions are certainly advised. Another cold day though not much fog & actually a little rain here & there [Oceanside reported: 0.25"]. Enough clouds & wind to keep temps up tonight in SoCal but Monday morning should be clear so beware.

Temps today:

AVALON HARBOR : 57/ 52

LAX : 60/ 50

DOWNTOWN : 64/ 52

REDONDO BEACH : 60/ 50

CHATSWORTH : 62/ 46

SAN GABRIEL : 62/ 50

VENTURA : 59/ 45

GOLETA : 59/ 46

FULLERTON : 62/ 50

ANAHEIM : 65/ 48

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 62/ 51

OCEANSIDE : 58/ 51

SAN DIEGO : 57/ 52

CORONA : 60/ 47

RIVERSIDE : 62/ 47

TEMECULA : 56/ 48

ESCONDIDO : 56/ 48

LA MESA : 56/ 51

INDIO : 69/ 54

IMPERIAL : 68\ 52

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

At 5:20AM it's 30.9F. The coldest since Jan. 2007. Bananas will finally burn but everything else should be OK. Two more hours before sunrise so I'm sure the temperature's going down a little more.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

29F at 6:50 am this morning...probably will go to 27 or so before the sun takes effect....coldest day of the year and last year as well.

Not happy.......

John Case

Brentwood CA

We are shivering in the Bay Area this morning. AT 6:45 AM the temp is 27.5 F here, the coldest morning of the year so far. I moved my temp. probe into the crown of my P. TVT about 4 feet from the ground and it's in one of the most exposed areas of my garden. I'm sure all of my lower growing palms are covered with a heavy frost. Ice in the rain buckets too. Burrrrrrrrr.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I bottomed out at 27F this morning. It's almost 9 AM and the temp is still 28 F. The duration of this freeze may cause some problems. All of the lower growing palms are white with frost.

Dick

Richard Douglas

9:30 am and we have gone up to 34F....good move!

Dick, maybe because you have so much shade and water that it takes longer to warm up....

John Case

Brentwood CA

I have a wireless thermometer and I checked it last night about midnight and it said 24. But i didn't believe it because it just didn't FEEL that cold. I covered everything anyways. This morning I checked the low temp and it said 20.3.

20.3!!!??? That CAN'T be right. I think I've gotta get a new thermometer. This one may be getting tired- it's 3 years old and Chinese. That's like 52 in real years, right??

But- there is a good layer of ice on some buckets of water I have out there, and a good layer of frost on the ground.

We'll see what happens!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Exactly 30.0F this morning is the first time my garden has experienced below freezing temperatures in two years. Uh oh...I left a bottle palm outside unprotected.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I have a wireless thermometer and I checked it last night about midnight and it said 24. But i didn't believe it because it just didn't FEEL that cold. I covered everything anyways. This morning I checked the low temp and it said 20.3.

20.3!!!??? That CAN'T be right. I think I've gotta get a new thermometer. This one may be getting tired- it's 3 years old and Chinese. That's like 52 in real years, right??

But- there is a good layer of ice on some buckets of water I have out there, and a good layer of frost on the ground.

We'll see what happens!

I don't care whre you're from.....that's funny! :lol:

John Case

Brentwood CA

OUCH! Good luck guys! I hope it makes a beeline east not south...

It got down to 32.2 F (0.1 C) at our house. Yikes. Palms are fine; one of the small Cyphophoenix elegans is even pushing a new leaf! Two Dombeya cacuminum seedlings left out :mrlooney: have red leaves now. I think they are (were?) supposed to be evergreen.

Lots of frost on the roofs of the neighbors' houses below us on the hill.

Good luck everyone!

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

We'll see what happens!

Patrick

Your temp may be a little off but close. Antioch recorded only 33F\ 0.5c but Bethel Island observed 24F\ -4.4c & 10 hours below freezing :(http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/frame.php?map=sfoeastbay

Sorry for your freeze guys ["perfect storm" conditions even if for only one night]. Even SFO was 34F\ 1.1c but San Francisco observed 41F\ 5c. Not too often San Jose experiences freezing temps :blink:

Tonight that cold air will be in SoCal & NWS issued a frost advisory for valleys.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Thanks Happ,

Yep, I'm right in between the two, so I'll say that my temp was 28.5!

I guess it'll be cold tonight, too. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh, thanks for the link, hopefully it'll be a bit more accurate than the sites I've been using in the past. All the online sites seem to have my area about 8 degrees higher than what I read at my house. it's frustrating when you're trying to figure out the potential lows for the night.

I'll tell you what, though- I'd rather have either of those two reported temps than what I read at my house!! Cliff Dates, and some chamaedoreas are my most tender in the yard, I believe.

I just looked At the site and my thermometer said roughly 7 degrees below the average of the two sites- go figure. Maybe the rechargable batteries I put in it are doing something funny...

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Geez, this one hit me pretty hard. My high/low shows a low of 27.8F....I'm not sure what time it hit. The good news is that the temps rose quickly. By 10:30 am I was above freezing. I don't see any damage yet...sure I will later....except that the bananas are done for the winter.

Tonight I'll have to pay closer attention. I didn't think I was going to be quite that cold last night. Didn't feel that cold when I went out to check my thermometers. Dry cold can be tricky like that. Bad thing is that it can dessicate palms like Kings in a hurry.

I watered again today.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Geez, this one hit me pretty hard. My high/low shows a low of 27.8F....I'm not sure what time it hit. The good news is that the temps rose quickly. By 10:30 am I was above freezing. I don't see any damage yet...sure I will later....except that the bananas are done for the winter.

Tonight I'll have to pay closer attention. I didn't think I was going to be quite that cold last night. Didn't feel that cold when I went out to check my thermometers. Dry cold can be tricky like that. Bad thing is that it can dessicate palms like Kings in a hurry.

I watered again today.

Satellite imaginary showed fog this AM over most of the San Joaquin valley & temps at or above freezing overall:

MERCED : 53/ 31

MADERA : 46/ 30

FRESNO : 45/ 32

VISALIA : 48/ 36

PORTERVILLE : 48/ 39

BAKERSFIELD : 46/ 39

LEMON COVE : 56/ 37

DELANO : 46/ 38

How many hours below freezing? Maybe a local station near you has that data. Your palms look unreal for that far north esp the Kings B) Tonight could be a tad warmer due to some fog & increasing high clouds late tonight.

I also have been watering in spite of the really chilly day temps & cold nights. If may be a mistake because hyophorbe verschaffeltii\ satakentia liukiuensis & veitchia arecina are yellowing fast.

Patrick

I know your area since my grandparents lived on a acreage of almond trees w/ chickens in Oakley. Good memories. Being in the delta means some of the coldest minimums on calm\ clear nights.

Appears NWS is not issuing frost advisories for SoCal [high dew points & wind] but it will be cold none-the-less [40's are cold temps, right?].

Today's readings:

CULVER CITY : 63/ 47

LAX : 63/ 46

DOWNTOWN : 66/ 47

MALIBU : 62/ 50

SANTA MONICA : 62/ 52

BURBANK : 62/ 40

PASADENA : 61/ 45

WOODLAND HILLS : 56/ 38

SIMI VALLEY : 56/ 47

SANTA BARBARA : 61/ 41

FULLERTON : 65/ 46

ANAHEIM : 69/ 46

LAKE FOREST : 70/ 44

OCEANSIDE : 63/ 42

ENCINITAS : 61/ 44

SAN DIEGO : 62/ 50

CABRILLO MNMT : 57/ 52

RIVERSIDE : 59/ 50

TEMECULA : 59/ 42

SAN MARCOS : 63/ 45

SANTEE : 63/ 49

SPRING VALLEY : 63/ 43

INDIO : 64/ 52

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I was expecting it to be cold, but...Yuck! 33.1F in my cold spot last night. :P 34F now.

42F this morning at 6:00 am, 2 degrees warmer than it was at 9:00 pm last night. Cloud cover with a chance of rain....

John Case

Brentwood CA

It was 38F at 11:30 last night. Bottomed at 33.6F on my one sensor, about 12 ft from the house. Palms must have experienced freezing in some parts of the yard.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I spent many hours below freezing last night. Starting at about 1am and bottoming at 27.9F at 5:53(which means parts of my property saw low twenties). Just a hint of frost here and there. Some of my stuff is starting to show damage. My Hyphaene coriaceas will completely defoliate again like last year. I made the mistake of planting them on the lower portion of my property.

post-1261-1231168829_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean