IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

I only got down to 35F this morning. Not too bad. Just the slightest hint of frost.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

38.5F here, and no frost on car windows for the first time in 3-4 days.

Dick - the good news is that days start getting longer tomorrow instead of shorter.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

42.8 last night under shade cloth but I bet a bit colder out in the open.

I suspect 2-3 degrees

Don't be jealous of my cozy climate :mrlooney: . Last year I had two sensors and it was only about 1-2 degrees cooler out in the open.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I suspect 2-3 degrees

Don't be jealous of my cozy climate :mrlooney: . Last year I had two sensors and it was only about 1-2 degrees cooler out in the open.

Well, I think with that "cozy climate" that perfect soil and the killer hardscape, you should have more palms in the ground by now! :P:lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Relatives in Tierrasanta could see frost on Admiral Baker golf course but it was milder across the state this morning [nice to see minimums above 50F in places :) A bit more typical pattern of winter storms will move thru the state this week.

lo; 48F\ 8.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Reporting in Captain MattyB, a low of 2 feet 6 inches this morning, under heavy fire. I also want to report an infiltrator who's armed with climate and is very dangerous. The corporal picked up a transmit of his a few minutes ago, sounded like "You're not sending me up that hill again tonight".

roger bravo........delta dawn what's that flower you have on.............over.......

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks for reporting in Wal. Carry on.

Sat 12-20 = 41F

Sun 12-21 = 44F

This sensor I'm reporting is about 3/4 of the way up the hill.

Dypsis pembana in my yard is spotted. The only thing thats spotted. That's wierd.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I suspect 2-3 degrees

Well, I think with that "cozy climate" that perfect soil and the killer hardscape, you should have more palms in the ground by now! :P:lol:

I'm stoked with what I have in the ground, u should be too bill!!. Your choice of palms is amazing!!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Matt - My pembana looks fine but my sp. mayotte is spotting, and it's the only one.

Lowest thermometer reading across the yard this year has been 31.7 deg. F (-0.2 deg. C). Like Jim, the coldest in 2 years and a bit unexpected.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Unfortunately today was probably the warmest day for another 4-5 days & close to Dec normals [Riverside 71F\ 21.6 & El Cajon 70F] mainly 60's. Maximum temps are important in warming the soil but this week will be cool w/ periods of rain.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

44.6F, partly cloudy.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

46F this morning, and it's looking like rain is gonna be moving in for this whole week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

48° again.

Of course, I just planted out more ti plants...

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

i havent had any trouble with ti plants due to the cold,david,even the big freeze that called alotta palms didnt seem to bother them.

lows in my garden under canopy still 41 or 42.maybe the thermometer is stuck? :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

50F\ 10C early in the morning\ 2AM then up & down between 51-55F with light showers. Another chilly gray day ahead. Could be in for some heavy rain later this week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

43F this morning. Another cold weekend ahead though. Saturday morning could be the lowest yet.

44.6F this morning, scattered clouds, breezy. 4/10" of rain yesterday.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

40° now...

Thanks for the ti reassurance, Paul. Some of my tis are flowering for the first time this year. Yay!

David

Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Recorded 40F\ 4.4c - this is also the coldest reading for 2008. Only 0.16" of rainfall [quite a bit more rainfall in San Diego]. A vigorous storm is moving south along the coastline & could be a big rain-maker for California over Xmas :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

46F this morning. We got .63" of rain yesterday. Carpoxylon is showing tiny spots. Bottle palm is not spotted yet but it will be soon.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Happ and David - How odd that you guys in LA with great microclimates are colder than me today.

42F. My yard only seems to see low, low temps when the humidity drops.

My palms look worse from the Santa Anas we had than from the recent cold temps.

Oside - You live closer to the ocean, in which marine influence (water and air) from the onshore flow play a major role in your temperatures.

Happ and David live further from the ocean, and in a valley where temperatures get colder than the coast.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Terry,

You're observations about the humidity are right on. As you know, like Happ, I live in an exceptional microclimate on a steep hill at a bit of elevation. But, I don't see the advantages of my hill until the air dries out. On humid days, like Kevin pointed out, you coastal people have the mitigating effects of the ocean keeping you warmer than me. But on those crazy dry cold nights where we've been having an offshore flow, and it's crisp and clear out, my temp is a lot warmer than yours because a temperature gradient starts to occur at different elevations due to the sinking of colder air. Naturally, the elevation at the coast is lower, and with an offshore flow the ocean is not there to help you. Basically all of my cold air goes away from me and goes to you. I know I'm not proclaiming anything we haven't already learned here on Palmtalk since the '07 freeze, but I like to think about and discuss it. It's very interesting.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt and Kevin - I'm not that close to the ocean... 7, maybe 8 miles from the coast. I'm also in a real low spot, at 100 ft I'm probably 300-500 ft lower than Matt, Happ or David.

Oh yeah, I forgot you live in inland Oceanside. That's like living at the low elevations of Spring Valley, 8 miles inland. They saw mid to low 20's in '07. Just a few blocks away up the hill my property only saw 37F. Wierd!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Terry,

This reminds me of the discussions during the 2007 freeze & how elevation\ topography\ wind interact on temperatures. Last night was mostly clear in Los Angeles but still partly cloudy in San Diego after the last storm. San Diego county also received quite a bit more rainfall with higher relative humidity overnight than observed up north. Dick has pointing out the difference in night temps as weather fronts pass overhead. A particularly cold night in the Bay Area was our cold night a day or 2 later.

The LA micro-climates are frost-free for a variety of reasons including:

/ Steep hillsides up to 2000+ elevation facing south along a west-east mountain range [san Gabriel's]

/ Wide valleys that extend nearly 100 miles inland [from San Fernando to San Bernardino]

/ Frequent winter night winds [both from 'santa ana' & usual diurnal night wind]

Actually El Hoagie\ Jack records the warmest winter temps in El Sereno [and why he grows cocos nucifera :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yeah, Jack sits up on a steep hill with the LA basin all around him to let cold air settle. Here's a pic of Jack's looking east. Steep steep hillside. I'm amazed at the temps he records.

post-126-1230070969_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Well, I go away for a day and miss one all together. Low today was 51F. I was away at Disneyland this past weekend and, while I was away, it dropped to 40F somewhere in my backyard. Palms all fine. However, tropical trees are showing signs of stress. However, I could just as easily dismiss this as Santa Ana winds last month as I haven't checked them recently.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hey Folks,

I am about 850 feet up in a canyon. However, my main garden and home are at the canyon bottom. So, I get the cold air coming down my very steep hillside/canyon wall. Once i get a canopy going on my hillside, I can give Jack a run for his money.

David

Light rain here all night and continueing to do so. Temps. of around 45 F in most of the bay area this morning and a high today forcast to be around 55. Tonight could get chilly.

Dick

Richard Douglas

43.7F low. Scattered clouds, no wind at 5:30 a.m., significant rain expected later today.

Kim Cyr

I'm with you Kim, 43.5F this morning out in the open. I wish we could get a day or two of sunshine to get some warmth in my primo spot next to the house. Bottle palm is showing spotting on older leaves now. The ability for the soil to dry out in this cold moist weather is key now. Even if it didn't rain this week I wouldn't water for several weeks after all this rain. My mulch keeps the soil evenly moist for a long time.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I haven't reset my thermometer for several days. All I know it didn't get below 41.5F out front since then. Dipped just below 40F in the back.

A sweltering 51F at 915am right now.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Folks,

I am about 850 feet up in a canyon. However, my main garden and home are at the canyon bottom. So, I get the cold air coming down my very steep hillside/canyon wall. Once i get a canopy going on my hillside, I can give Jack a run for his money.

David

Hi David

I am not surprised & was going to ask you if your location was in a canyon because you minimums are a bit cooler than what I experience at hilltop. I occasionally check NWS reporting stations for Beverly Hills & the Getty Center & am amazed at the mild overnight readings during cold spells. I also check conditions at San Rafael Hills [not far from me]. Digital sensors are a lot of fun & an inexpensive way to know our garden's climate.

Chilly 48F all night & only 51F\ 10.5c currently. Hope this next storm is as powerful as predicted but there's a chance it may stay a bit further west over the ocean & less rainfall on land. Next week will be really nice for drying the soil & warming the air :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

drying/warming/good

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

42F again. Still watching Saturday and Sunday mornings. Bringing in anything tender Friday night.

Forecasting 27F at my place for Fri morn :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yeah, Fri, Sat and Sun nights do not look fun. :(