IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Highest Winter Temperatures-08/09

bubba

With all the dire predictions of Global Cooling and new Ice Ages and Great Freezes,it only seems practical to look empirically at the Highest Highs and the Highest Lows experienced in the Continental US.Perhaps this can calm us down,cancel suicide hotlines and generally ease our collective conciousness as we hurtle towards the abyss.

Last year Florida won going away with Texas a close second. One observation regarding Texas is just how hot it can get. 90's pop up numerous times.California and Arizona were suprisingly cool. We may be seeing a flip/flop this year as the West has been quite warm compared to Texas and Florida. Will it hold up?

Dec.1,2008-MH-Riverside,Ca 85F;ML-Marathon,Florida-65F. Results MH-Ca-1;ML-Fl-1. Other State highs included Bullhead,Az 80,Ft Myers 74,McAllen 74 and Boothville,La 62. Avalon,Ca recorded a low of 60F and Will's in Palm Beach recorded 64F. May the games begin!

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

I can guarentee the weather has been warmer than normal in the West or you would hear a lot of Californians squaking about the weather and cold temps. The weather boards have been surprisingly quiet from Calif. Come the first freeze and you will hear plenty from the West. Where is Hap? I miss his predictions as they are usually accurate.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Where is Hap?

Yeah! Where is he? We havent heard from him in some time. I miss his weather posts!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

FWIW, it hasn't gotten to 60F here in 3 days....fogged in all day. Not cold, but certainly running at or below norms....

and according to my wife, its freezing.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

All I know at the moment is that last month's temps here averaged 9F below normal. Tonight's lows may drop into the mid-30s inland. So much for a warm autumn.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

All I know at the moment is that last month's temps here averaged 9F below normal.

Meg-

Same up here. I just checked my stations average temp for last month and compared it to the long term official average, and it was 8F below normal.

Larry 

All I know at the moment is that last month's temps here averaged 9F below normal. Tonight's lows may drop into the mid-30s inland. So much for a warm autumn.

Also...I was down your way last weekend (we stayed on Pine Island). Cape Coral is a beautiful place!

Larry 

I averaged about 3-4 degrees above normal for Nov. Avg high was about 77F for the month.

Bubba...keep your eye on Laredo and McAllen TX, notorious hot spots for taking the national high temp.

Dec.2,2008-MH-Fort Stockton,Tx-84F;ML-Key West-61F. Results-MH-Ca-1;Tx-1;ML-Fl-2.Other State highs included Imperial 81,Tucson 80,Marathon 72 and Oakdale,La 60.Florida is cool but this is perfect weather for South Floridians!

Hey John,

It's been foggy here in Walnut Creek for 4 days. I hate this kind of weather, but at least the nights are only down to 45F. At 11 AM, it's still only 50F and it feels colder, but I'll take the fog to clear frosty nights which we haven't had yet. The plams don't seem to mind, and in fact, they are all green and lush now with the cooler temps and higher humidity.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Larry, thanks for the compliment on the Cape. It doesn't get much respect around here. Do you own a place on Pine Island (a neat place)? You passed by my workplace on Little Pine Island (a FL wildlife preserve) on your way to PI.

When I watched the news today at lunch, I found Cape's low was actually 39F, not low 40S. I had brought in some but not all of my sensitive potted palms, so now I wonder what I'll find when I get home tonight. This could be a long winter. I better think about how I'll protect my 9' Areca concinna in the back yard if we get another freeze.

Meg

Florida

checking in from Riverside CA... it's been a really warm fall season. I stopped fertilizing Oct 1st, and I probably could have gone all through November. Days in the 80s, lows in the high forties low fifties.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Larry, thanks for the compliment on the Cape. It doesn't get much respect around here. Do you own a place on Pine Island (a neat place)?

I thought Cape Coral was very nice. Many parts seems still quite "spacious" (house werent on top of each other like they are here). Overall, the area just seemed inviting. And, that new Mel's Diner youve got there was fabulous!

I wish I owned a place on Pine Island! This was our first visit and my wife and daughter both loved it. It is surely "old Florida", but really just a short ride to the mainland for everything else.

When we got back, I started looking on realtor.com to see what small little houses go for on the island :mrlooney: We would love to have a little place to go to down there. Prices (for small places that might need some work) were actually pretty inexpensive. And, bare land was also pretty cheap.

You passed by my workplace on Little Pine Island (a FL wildlife preserve) on your way to PI.

Had I known, I would have stopped by :mrlooney:

When I watched the news today at lunch, I found Cape's low was actually 39F, not low 40S. I had brought in some but not all of my sensitive potted palms, so now I wonder what I'll find when I get home tonight. This could be a long winter. I better think about how I'll protect my 9' Areca concinna in the back yard if we get another freeze.

From the decent number of Royals, etc that I saw in Cape Coral, it seems that overall the climate is pretty respectable. Many times I see the reported lows in the Cape arent really much different than where I am plunked, yet there is certainly a much more widespread use of Zone 10 palms down there than in north Pinellas.

Larry 

Hey John,

It's been foggy here in Walnut Creek for 4 days. I hate this kind of weather, but at least the nights are only down to 45F. At 11 AM, it's still only 50F and it feels colder, but I'll take the fog to clear frosty nights which we haven't had yet. The plams don't seem to mind, and in fact, they are all green and lush now with the cooler temps and higher humidity.

Dick

Dick,

We have had the same weather here. The palms are doing well, in fact, my Chamaedorea seifrizii is, as we speak, shooting out its first flower spike....hopefully, iy will just tkae its time until spring. My wife is unimpressed, of course, and waiting for our trip to the Big Island. We're leaving on the 12th and will be celebrating our 40th anniversary on the next day.

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Dec.3,2008-MH-Alice,Tx-87F;ML-Brownsville,Tx-64F. Results-MH-Tx-2,Ca-1;ML-Fl-2,Tx-1.Other highs included El Centro 80,Yuma 78,Ft.Lauderdale 74 and Oakdale,La 77.What happens next?

Larry, if you are serious about a place on PI, buy while the recession is on. In 2005, prices were insanely high, which led to our current sorry predicament. Also, if you come down again, check out the quirky fishing village of Matlacha, pop. ~750, most of it on its own island. Almost every home/lot sits on salt water. There are scruffy $1,000 trailer homes on $100,000 saltwater lots. It's funky, artsy-craftsy and now has its own coffee shop, right next to the bait shop.

Cape Coral is definitely 10A, perhaps with some 10B microclimates. PI might even trend toward 10B; it is much closer to the Gulf.

Meg

Florida

Meg-

No doubt much of Pine Island is 10B. I saw lots of Coconuts with 50 ft of trunk on them that I didnt see back on the mainland anywhere. Thats a pretty solid sign that temps are very moderate on the island. And, from what I have gathered, the north end of the island is the warmest area.

Matlacha is very cool! We drove through there a number of times and saw how "funky" it was. That old motel that juts right out into the water (basically sitting on a pier) is neat!

I surely have thought that now would be a good time to grab a house down there......prices are definitely slammed down quite a bit. It appears that a nearly new smaller house can be had for ~$90k from my searches online.

Larry 

Dec. 4,2008-MH-Bartow,Fl-80F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-65F. Results-MH-Tx.-2,Ca-1,Fl-1;ML-Fl-3,Tx-1.Other State highs included Weslaco,Tx 68,Yuma 72,Boothville,La 71 and Thermal 75.Cold stuff up in Siberia. Where does it strike?

Dec.5,2008-MH-Ft. Lauderdale,Fl and Fullerton,Ca-80F;ML-Key West-67F. Results-MH-Tx-2,Ca-1.5,Fl-1.5; ML-Fl-4,Tx-1.Other state highs included Williams gateway Airport,Az 77,Houma,La 57 and Laredo 61.Will that Siberian stuff hit and where?

Dec.6,2008-MH-Titusville,Fl-82F;ML-Marathon-64F.Results-MH-Fl-3.5,Tx-2,Ca-1.5;ML-Fl-6,Tx-1.Other state highs included Yuma 73,San Fernando,Ca-80,Pleasanton,Tx-76,Boothville,La-60.

Dec. 7,2008-MH-Pleasanton,Tx-79F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-63F. Results-MH-Fl,3.5,Tx-3,Ca-1.5;ML-Fl-7,Tx-1.Other state highs included Ft. Lauderdale 75,Yuma 66,El Centro,73 and Houma,La 64.

Dec 8,2008-MH-Falfurrias,Tx-86F;ML-Brownsville,Tx-64F.Results are MH-Tx 4,Fl 3.5,Ca 1.5;ML Fl 7,Tx 2. Other state highs include Naples 77,Yuma,71,imperial 73,Lake Charles 73. Brownsville edged Marathon 64 to 63!

A cold front is going through TX as we speak (it went by my house a couple hours ago), so I doubt TX will take high tomorrow. It went from about 80F this afternoon to about 40F now.

Dec.9,2008-MH-Falfurrias,Tx-91F;ML-Marathon,fl-72F; Results-Tx-5,Fl-3.5,Ca-1.5. Other state highs include Ft. Myers,Fl 84, Oceanside 76,Yuma 68 and Amelia,La 82.Heard it was -81F in Siberia.Let that stuff stay there!

Dec. 10,2008-MH-Punta Gorda,Fl-86F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-75F. Results-MH-Tx-5,Fl-4.5,Ca-1.5;ML-Fl-9,Tx-2.Other state highs included Yuma 70,Boothville,la 72,McAllen 65 and Hawthorne,Ca 77.

Dec.11,2008-MH-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl.-83F.;ML-Ft Lauderdale,Fl-67F. Results-MH-Fl.-5.5,Tx-5,Ca.-1.5; ML-Fl-10,Tx-2.Other state highs include Weslaco,Tx 72,Corona,Ca 81,Phoenix 74,Shreveport 53.

Pine Island (and a few other smaller islands), are the only places on the west coast of FL where I have seen Verschaffeltias happy in the ground. I go down there about twice a week to do some work and it is like night and day. There are a few collectors on the island, so I have given them plants to try out as a "flag" plant.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

That Splendida is a great one but watch out for it's spines. It's leaves do not like wind either.How do the Licuala's do over there.I am actually getting some wood/trunk on mine after 100 years!

Dec.12,2008-MH-Tucson,Az-76F;ML-Key West-62F. Results are Fl-5.5,Tx-5,Ca.-1.5,Az-1;ML-FL-11,Tx-2. Other state highs include Palm Springs 72,Edinburg 73,Ft.Lauderdale 74, Oakdale 62. Another player in town....

Dec.13,2008-MH-Kingsville,Tx-79F;ML-Key West,Fl-59F.Results are MH-Tx-6,Fl-5.5,Ca-1.5,Az-1;ML-Fl-12,Tx-2.Other state highs include Hollywood,fl 73,Thermal 70,Tucson 71 and Sulfur,La-68.Texas is back on line!

Dec.15,2008-MH-Alice,Tx-87F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-72F. Results-MH-TX-7;FL-5.5;Ca-1.5,Az-1;ML-Fl-13,Tx-2.Other state highs include Miami 80,North Island,Ca 63,Douglas Bisbee 61,Boothville 75. Texas is back on line. It is cool here but that is good.

Dec.15,2008-MH-Okeechobee,Fl and Harligen,Tx-82F;Ml-Miami,Fl-71F-Results-MH-Tx- 7.5,Fl-6,Ca-1.5,Az-1;ML-Fl-14,Tx-2.Other state highs included North Island,ca 62,Douglas Bisbee 66 and New Iberia,La 79.West Palm Airport reported 65 and Will's in Palm Beach was 71 for low. This has been about the normal spread.

Dec 16,2008-MH-Tampa,Fl-84F;ML-Marathon,Fl-70F.Results-MH-Tx-7.5,Fl-6,Ca-1.5,Az-1;ML-Fl-13,Tx-2.Other state highs include Alpine,Tx-71,El Centro,Ca 63,Douglas Bisbee 64 and Fourchon,La 78.Had to do a little clean-up.There were not two Dec. 15,2008's and Result calculations have been corrected.Also noted Will's in Palm Beach recorded low of 70 F while WPB reported 65 F.on Dec.16.Microclimate.

Dec.17,2008-MH-Tampa,Fl-84F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale-72F. Results MH-Tx-7.5;Fl-7;Ca-1.5,Az-1;ML-Fl-14;Tx-2.Other state highs include Fort Stockton,Tx 73,North Island,Ca 59,Tucson 70,Baton Rouge 80. A non NWS weather station in Northern Alabama at Albertville,Alabama reported a high of 86F that was broadly reported.This upon inspection was a temperature rise from 59F to 86F and back to 66F in a twenty minute span during a rainstorm at 4:00 Am in the morning.Homey don't think so.

i dont think you see high temperatures in these days from the west they say that is going to be cool also in the next week.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Dec.18,2008-MH-Sarasota,Fl-83F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-72F. Results-Fl-8;Tx-7.5;Ca-1.5;Az-1;ML-Fl-15;Tx-2.

Alot of wild stuff out there that have caused me to go with NWS official stations for temperatures. Oakdale,La was reporting a high of 140 F around noon.Not to sure about that.Statesboro Georgia was reporting a high of 84F but it reported 80F as it's official high on it's site and did not break it's record for the day of 82F.

Other state highs include Weslaco,Tx 82,North,Island,Ca 63,Phoenix 59 and New Orleans 79.

Dec.19,2008-MH-Shreveport,La-84F;ML-Marathon,Fl-69F. Results-MH-Fl.-8;Tx-7.5;Ca-1.5;Az-1;La.-1;ML-Fl-16;Tx-2.Other state highs include Harligen 82,Orlando,80,Tucson 61,North Island,Ca 62.Oakdale,La. was reporting 120F at Noon but that looked a little suspicious.

Dec.20,2008-Results-MH-McAllen,Tx-87F;ML-Marathon,Fl-66F.Results-MH-Tx-8.5;Fl-8;Ca-1.5;Az-1;La-1;ML-Fl-17;Tx-2.Other state highs include Orlando 80,Nogales,Az-64,Los Angeles 62 and Baton Rouge 78.

Hearne,Tx reported a high of 93F at 8:00AM but thereafter reported the state low of 10F at 9:00 AM.Funky Monkey!

The maximum low was close. McAllen,Tx reported a low of 64F after the national high of 87F.Browsville and Port Isabel reported a low of 61F.Miami Beach reported a low of 67F at a non-NWS site.

Dec.1,2008-MH-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-81F;ML-Key West,Fl-65F. Results-MH-Fl-9;Tx-8.5;Ca-1.5;Az-1;La-1;ML-Fl-18;Tx-2.Other state highs include Brownsville 73,Nogales,Az 68,Los angeles 66 and Hammond,La 71.Welcome to the first day of Winter!

Dec.22,2008-MH-Miami-78F-ML-Marathon-66F;Results-MH-Fl-10;Tx-8.5;Ca-1.5;Az-1;La-1;ML-Fl-19;Tx-2.Other state highs includePort Isabel,Tx 55,Hammond,La-46F,El Centro,Ca 66 and Tucson 70.Winter has arrived!