IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather

Tyrone

Above normal temps through year's end?! That's what the NWS is saying. After the last month, we are overdue.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Tyrone,

It is a sort of erie effect. My home town is on the plains and when you arrive at night on a very cold night you can see the light reflected up in rays above where the town is. It has to get real cold to have this effect. Another interesting thing is that sometimes the cold front would stall and you could go across town and the temperatures would be extremely different. And, the speed with which the temperatures fall and then rise when the Chinook winds come in from the southwest is astonishing.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Monsoon trough is here!!!! Bye bye sun for the next 2-3 weeks.... Woke up this morning to this beautiful rainy weather.... Ah, how I love the rain. I am sure by the end of the monsoon, I would miss the sun.... Hhmmm, time for things to go mouldy... btw.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I hope the mould doesn't drive you nuts Ari. The last couple of mornings we've been waking up to cloud and humidity, but no rain. Yesterday was like a mist that didn't burn off until noon, but it wasn't cold at all, just sticky and clammy. Palms seem to love it opening new spears.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Monsoon trough is here!!!! Bye bye sun for the next 2-3 weeks.... Woke up this morning to this beautiful rainy weather.... Ah, how I love the rain. I am sure by the end of the monsoon, I would miss the sun.... Hhmmm, time for things to go mouldy... btw.

I HATE :rage: the RAIN/. What a mess it made of my garden :angry: Stop already...

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Sorry Steve... We have been waiting the whole year for the monsoon... This is when everything is taking off like rockets.... I can't wait to see the growth at the end of the wet....

Tyrone,

Mould doesn't worry me.... the dryer is going full on though as nothing will get dry on the line :mrlooney: . I tried to tell that to one of our visitors last year... when they were asking for towel rack to dry their clothes inside.... I told them to put them in the dryer... and they won't believe me. After being on a towel rack for 3 days with no luck, they finally believe me.... lol.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice and QUIET here, no CHATTER from the Florida contingent, just the way I like it ,this time of year! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Sorry Steve... We have been waiting the whole year for the monsoon... This is when everything is taking off like rockets.... I can't wait to see the growth at the end of the wet....

Tyrone,

Mould doesn't worry me.... the dryer is going full on though as nothing will get dry on the line :mrlooney: . I tried to tell that to one of our visitors last year... when they were asking for towel rack to dry their clothes inside.... I told them to put them in the dryer... and they won't believe me. After being on a towel rack for 3 days with no luck, they finally believe me.... lol.

Ari, Darwin must become like the inside of my germination boxes when it's the monsoon. A great time to start germinating palms I'd say. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I hope the warmth here lasts through the 1st of the new year.

6 C - 43 F at altitude of 1500 meters - 4500 feet in mountains of the baja peninsula today with rainbow. very cold in this time of year.

post-285-1229483023_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Weird weather today, everything was backwards.

Last night the temperature when I went to bed was the low for the night with the temp rising all night.

When I woke up the temperature was the high for the day with the temp dropping all day.

Then by the time I drove home a half hour ago the temp was rising again.

The fog was so thick, the visibility driving was about 40 feet. And I had a 23 mile drive in that.

It'll take me a couple of hours to wind down enough to go to sleep.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I do agree that the plants do take off after the rains. Two years ago it rained for 40 days and 40 nights like in the bible. But it was not as heavy at one time as last week. There was some GREAT growth after that as my plants are not use to all that water being they live here in my desert. :lol:

But I think I have over a ton of mud to move around. :drool: There are places where to top soil has washed away exposing the roots of some of the palms and lower down where there is 8-10 inches of mud/silt piled up that I have to try to get back and cover the exposed roots before they are damaged. This was the worst in 30 years in this location. :rage:

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Ari, Darwin must become like the inside of my germination boxes when it's the monsoon. A great time to start germinating palms I'd say. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Actually... no. Darwin is nice and cool and wet when it's the monsoon. I think the temperature drop around 5-10deg... It is amazing what it does to anything in the garden though. Just have to be careful with little seedlings... as it can rot with no sun for weeks at the time and no chance to dry out.

Steve,

Storms are different.... Big storm like that is quite damaging... Hopefully you can get nice and gentle rain... which the plants would love.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

When I was in Darwin earlier this week, we opened the door to our motel room for half an hour. Due to the humidity in the air, we ended up with water running down all of the walls. Needless to say we had to shut the door and turn the air up to dry it all out...

post-42-1229509998_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

No wonder the traditional Darwin house has slats that open up whole walls otherwise everything would just rot.

Best regards

Tyrone

Block home is not good here in Darwin as it retains too much moisture during monsoon.... and yet, they are still building HEAPS of them.... I guess if you are running a/c 24/7.... Imagine their power bills :unsure: .

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I hope the warmth here lasts through the 1st of the new year.

Ray -- I am also thrilled that it appears we will have stellar weather for at least the next week or so (highs around 80 & lows around 60 -- AWESOME!). I'm still hoping that the jet stream "wierdness" that brought all that extra cold air our way starting in late October will provide above average temps through the remainder of the winter (AKA no freeze...). The only plant that I may end up losing from the unexpected cold spell is my one gallon Welfia regia (which I forgot to bring in on a night that went down to between 40 & 45 -- don't know exactly how low since my thermometer has been inconsistent)

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Tropical low at Joseph Bonaparte Gulf at the moment... It might be cyclone Billy tonight or tomorrow morning.... It is 100kms from Port Keats and moving South East... No wonder we haven't seen any sun for a few days now... This is going to be an active season, I can tell....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

this is what happen in my city tijuana yesterday when we have 45 milimeters - 1.75 inchs rain in 12 hours.

i dont think we need water these palms !

post-285-1229645220_thumb.jpg

post-285-1229645257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

more fotos. only 6 people die in this rain.

post-285-1229645389_thumb.jpg

post-285-1229645497_thumb.jpg

Crstobal, that's some terrible flooding there. Is it cold?

Today we had a couple of mm of rain. One second it's fine and then the other second it pelts with heavy rain for half a minute, then goes, and 5 seconds later the strong sun is out and everything is warm and steamy again. It's been doing that on and off today. It's been good weather to get out in the garden, because it's not baking hot.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

That sort of sounds like our winter here. This year should be pretty wet from all indications.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hey Cristobal, I liked the picture with the rainbow a a lot. Beautiful! Sorry about all the flooding there though. Good luck with it all.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Really, this month has been fantastic, hence the silence from me here in Florida. There have been several days with highs around 80F/26.7C with lows right around 60F/15.6C, soil temps have been hovering around 65F/18.3C. Just about all the palms in the garden are opening a spear - for better or worse. IF things had hardened off during the cold late fall, then all that has been undone now. It is very easy for partially opened fronds of 10A palms to be damaged on cold nights at 40F/4.4C and lower around here. The only palm that has seemed to really take a beating so far this winter is my poor coconut. It is looking really quite yellowed out....I hope it will make it. But even it seems to be getting ready to open a new frond. I am thinking that I should probably try to fertilze a little since everything seems to have woke back up. There is a very short 1 day cooldown forcasted for Monday this week with the high around 65F/18.3C and a low of 47F/8.3C but then it is back to the 80/60 routine for the rest of the week.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Also the weather here, looks like don't know anymore... this weekend i recorded tempetures from 10-12C and the forecast for next weekend say that we gonna get a real cold period, that will be the first winter period. Tempetures from 0C during the day... brrr, I hope that the forecast will warm up some little...

I have got already got some frost, but that was not really bad.

Robbin

Southwest

I just walked over to the gas station next to where I am working right now and noticed how the afternoon turned out nice. It was real hot and muggy last night and I figured it would rain. It did early in the morning and most of the day has been cloudy with some rain. These are the current conditions. It loks like the sun came out since the last report. I am very close to the airport so the reading normally are current to what I have at the office. The trees on the horizon are large Brazil nut trees.

Local Weather Report for

Manaus

Amazonas, Brazil

Current Manaus Weather Conditions Updated Dec 22, 2008 3:00 PM

Mostly Cloudy

Temperature: 30°C Dew Point: 23°C

Barometer: 100.7 kPa Wind: n/a

Humidity: 66.2 % Visibility: n/a

post-188-1229975955_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Our normal stupid crazy weather is even stupider crazier this year.

31 this morning, high 41 today, and 37 tonight.

high tomorrow 70, and high 78 the next day.

Been doing that over and over. Forget the palms, my sinuses are going insane.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This has been the worst December I can remember for many years. We have had a mild period for the past four days, which has brought us up to just below the 30 year average for December, but it's due to get colder again starting tonight and it's forecast to stay well below average temperatures for the rest of December, which will make it the coldest December for many years to end what is also the coldest year for many years.

So far we have had several low temperatures.

1st - 31°F

2nd - 32°F

3rd - 31°F

6th - 29°F

7th - 24°F

8th - 27°F

10th - 27°F

11th - 23°F

12th - 27°F

14th - 30°F

16th - 32°F

Up to that point our highest night time temperature had been 38°F on the 5th. We are currently forecast another 5+ nights below 32° before the end of the month.

Most of my stuff outside seems to be coping remarkably well. I have an Aechmea gamosepala that is looking somewhat burnt in places, but the Musa basjoo has more green foliage left than at this time last year and all of the palms seem totally unaffected at this point, including Chamaedorea microspadix, Phoenix loureiroi var. loureiroi and Phoenix dactylifera that are all experiencing their first winter outside. I, on the other hand, am not fairing so well, as the cold weather plays havoc with my eczema.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

It's amazingly warm here for December. It would be so nice if this lasted until March. Wishful thinking, I know.

On the radar I can see a monster thunderstorm heading for the Gold Coast. It looks likely to head toward the northern end near Surfers Paradise. There are some other powerful cells further south near Ballina.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

The "second summer" starts on Sunday. The A/C will be on during that.

City: Min 15 Max 26

Mandurah: Min 16 Max 26

UV Alert: 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Friday Fine. Min 15 Max 26

Saturday Fine. Min 16 Max 29

Sunday Fine. Hot. Min 19 Max 34

Monday Fine. Hot. Min 20 Max 36

Tuesday Fine. Very Hot. Min 20 Max 38

Wednesday Very Hot. Partly Cloudy. Min 21 Max 39

Best regards

Tyrone

No!!! :(

It's look like the really first cold wave loaded with russian air is coming to our way... Tempetures from -3C at the sea... to -8C agains Germany is possible for the night. Tempetures +2C at the sea to -2C against germany is possible for during the day.

Just like Neofolis is say, this autemm/winter is really teribble with low tempetures after a bad summer to but the strange thing november was warmer then normal over here. I've got already sinds November 15 frost night's but not lower then -2C/28.4F

Robbin

Southwest

Still very quite down here in Florida, chatter almost negligable, again just the way I like it!

I'm sure the other shoe will drop eventually, however until then, I'm enjoying it! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I'm often the other shoe. :D

Ray,

If we could just get you to quit visiting those weather sites that have those gurus that predict the absolute worst case scenarios, and relish in those dire predictions 15 days out, maybe you could be cured.

Maybe a loved one could access your computer, and put a PARENTAL BLOCK on those sites? :lol:

We need to get you to FOCUS on 24 to 36 hours out, where they have a 50/50 chance of being correct about the forecast! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Ray,

If we could just get you to quit visiting those weather sites that have those gurus that predict the absolute worst case scenarios, and relish in those dire predictions 15 days out

Might we be including Storm2k? :lol:

It was 82F in my house about an hour & a half ago. I put the A/C on. I got my wish for a warm Christmas, so tomorrow I'm planting more crotons! maybe a palm, too.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I'm spending the holidays in Escazú (San Jose) where it is considerably cooler than it was over on the coast in Manuel Antonio. The lower humidity here really makes a difference in how it feels.

Here's the Escazú forecast through the 31st.

Thurs High 25C/77F Low 19C/66F

Friday High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Sat High 25C/77F Low 15C/59F

Sun High 25C/77F Low 16C/61F

Mon High 25C/77F Low 17C/63F

Tues High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Wed High 24C/75F Low 15C/59F

Compared to the forecast for Manuel Antonio

Thurs High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Friday High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sat High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sun High 30C/86F Low 22C/72F

Mon High 30C/86F Low 21C/70F

Tues High 29C/84F Low 21C/70F

Wed High 31C/88F Low 22C/72F

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

It's going to really crank up at the end of next week. 3 days straight of 39C. Each of those days could get to over 40C. The furnace is about to be turned on. I'm going to make sure everything is kept damp during that heat.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 15 Max 29

Mandurah: Min 16 Max 26

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 5:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: MODERATE

Sunday Fine. Min 17 Max 32

Monday Fine, hot. Min 19 Max 34

Tuesday Fine, hot. Min 20 Max 35

Wednesday Fine, very hot. Min 21 Max 39

Thursday Fine, very hot. Min 22 Max 39

Friday Fine, very hot. Min 24 Max 39

Best regards

Tyrone