IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather

Tyrone

Well it's December. How is it so far for you.

Today we had a top of 27C, tomorrow will be 31C with evening showers, and then mid twenties with rain for another couple of days. Normally Decembers are totally dry with very rare rain for us. This summer may be a wet one, which will be nice. Palms are starting to really leap ahead now even though Nov was a full 2C cooler than usual.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The weather here is great at the moment. After a very wet and very humid few days last week, we now have a week of sunny, warm, not too humid weather....a great time of year, especially with all of the afternoon storms to keep the garden watered!

Forecast for Tuesday

Fine. Light to moderate NW to NE winds.

Precis: Fine

City: Min 19 Max 32

Bayside: Min 19 Max 30

UV Alert: 7:40 am to 3:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Wednesday Possible late storm Min 20 Max 32

Thursday Possible late storm Min 20 Max 32

Friday Possible late storm Min 20 Max 32

Saturday Late storm Min 21 Max 34

Sunday Few showers developing. Late storm Min 22 Max 32

Monday Possible late storm Min 22 Max 31

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Cold, but not disasterous. Had about a weeks worth of freezing temps already with low of 25 F, although I don't think I saw it at my house. It has been an early and chilly start to winter here in north Florida.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

We have barely escaped a freeze twice already. Predictions for tonight are for 32f, but I am betting we will again sneek by with 33f.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Unusually cold weather here in the south of Spain, with lows of 4 Celsius (39°F). From the weather map you get a good indication of the unrelenting cold air sweeping across Europe, and in particular, the major cold front that has recently passed over Spain. Notice the cold air corridors stretching uninterrupted to Greenland. It's due to change on Thursday, when we'll be back to overnight lows of around 13 Celsius (55°F).

post-1155-1228153371_thumb.jpg

We are having mid 70's to lows in the high 40's weather. Its not hard to take, the palms still are happy. Sooner or later it will get cold here, but the later the shorter the winter in this radiational cooling dominated desert. Come on february, I want to plant some more palms in the ground.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hmmm. 9pm and already down to 38 degrees. This ain't good.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Still hot and humid!! But we are getting more storms in the afternoon now... 10mm yesterday... which was nice with its usual amazing thunder and lightning. Hopefully we get some more today.

There are talks that the monsoon trough will be around here in 3 days, which I thought was a bit early. But anything that brings rain and push dry slot away can only be a good thing...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hmmm. 9pm and already down to 38 degrees. This ain't good.

10pm and 37 degrees f. Yep, I am afraid it is going to happen. Da freeze, dat is.

Daryl, you've got an awesome summer happening there. Temps are just perfect.

It's 31 at the moment but quite a bit drier than you I'd expect. I hope to get just a bit of what you've got by the end of summer. Palms go off with 22C min 32C max and rain every night. Our mins are quite a bit cooler than that at the moment. Dec can still be a tad coolish in Perth, but by Jan the furnace gets roaring.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Balmy low 40'sF forecated for tonight. The "lovely" January weather continues.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Northern Calif. is experiencing one of the warmest Autumns I can recall. Temps. have been running 5 to 15 degrees (F) above normal. Normally we would have had frost at my location about 2 weeks ago, and there is none forcast for the next week. (Also little rain which we desperately need). I was in San Francisco on Nov. 14th and it was actually hot there.

It's rather strange when the East coast is below normal, the West coast is above normal, and usually vice versa. It's those two weeks before and after the shortest day of the year that I dread.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Projected low of 32 turned out to be 30 with a hard killing frost. Pictures to come later.

It was heavy

post-1207-1228260039_thumb.jpg

Help, I'm melting

post-1207-1228260549_thumb.jpg

The January-in-autumn weather continues here in Natchez, though we've been luckier than at points east of us (i.e., Alabama, Georgia, north/north-central Florida). We had our first freeze 10 days ago, 5 hours below freezing though the low was only 30.9F, and of course all the bananas and heliconias paid with most of their foliage. Yesterday was very chilly here (high 49F and windy) and then a freak sleet-storm threw a blanket of ice-pellets on everything just before sunset (luckily it all melted quickly). Again the freeze only bottomed out at 31.1F this morning, but we were three hours below freezing and there is tremendous frost in all open areas...we hit the dreaded dewpoint. What a difference a degree makes. But I was in better shape than many surrounding areas, it was as low as 27-30F at rural/airport stations all the way down to Gulf Coast Louisiana. Luckily temps are rebounding quickly, already 37F at 8:20am. There goes the rest of the exposed herbaceous stuff methinks...but am I ever grateful for canopy!!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Yesterday we reached 33C then around 11pm the thunderstorms started rolling in. I went to bed around midnight when the temp was 21C and all the palms outside had had a nice drink of rain. Not too much but enough to water all the leaves and boost the humidity up close to 90%. Then for the next two hours or so it came down, yet the BOM only said 0.4mm of rain!!!! Who knows, maybe I'm the only one that gets rained upon these days. :D Anyway the official min was around 18.5C which is fine for me. Palms will be going beserk especially after I gave them a lot of fertiliser yesterday. Today we're only getting to 23C which is really mild, but it will be humid and mild to the mid twenties all week with rain every day until Friday, then back to high twenties by Sunday. This may very well turn out to be a mild and moist sort of December, more in keeping with a Sydney type December.

Best regards

Tyrone

today i work in ensenada one hour to south of tijuana i register 21 C - 70 F on car thermomemter 12 pm then we have many clouds and fog in afternoon and is then more cooler to only 18 C - 64 F. in night is 13-15 C, 56-60 F. we have some rain in the last days but not much i read they have much more rain north in southern california usa.

foto today of bahia de todos santos, ensenada. bay of all the saints in english. in the foto you can see fog on ocean coming to the bay.

post-285-1228288760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

pitahaya agria we call this in my country. science name stenocereus gummosus. this baja desert cactus grow only in baja california and south part of san diego county in california usa. in the summer we eat the fruits very good ! i take this foto today in ensenada. i like the foto for it shows good our soil - rocks and rocks and little clay. try to plant the palms or any thing in it !

post-285-1228289655_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

We had a top of 33c followed by a classic "southerly buster" during the evening with fresh, gusty S winds.

This change will peter out on the Gold Coast, with the forecast there showing winds turning "briefly SE to E'ly during the day" tomorrow. Further north on the Sunshine Coast there will be no change in wind direction.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hi Phil, this is true, we get the southerly changes just as they peter out..the sultry weather, then rain and storms, but no big southerly buster, just a change of wind (breeze) direction. In winter the changes have a bit more oomph and do cool us down.

Hot and sultry here today...a thunderstorm is just about to hit here...almost a daily occurrance these days!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You'd better take the storm with you, Daryl, on the 12th... otherwise, you are not welcome here in the Top End.... :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sweet as, very Costa Rican down the back these days, these lazy hazy days of summer. Put another olive in your martinis folks, put on the Cherry Poppin' Daddies cdee and cruise through another evening of balm and charm.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You'd better take the storm with you, Daryl, on the 12th... otherwise, you are not welcome here in the Top End.... :mrlooney:

Just call me 'Stormbringer'

Comin out of nowhere

Drivin like rain

Stormbringer dance

On the thunder again

Dark cloud gathering

Breaking the day

No point running

cause i'm coming your way

Sweet as, very Costa Rican down the back these days, these lazy hazy days of summer. Put another olive in your martinis folks, put on the Cherry Poppin' Daddies cdee and cruise through another evening of balm and charm.

I hope this continues for the rest of summer!

Daryl

Stormbringer - Deep Purple for sure ( no I didn't look it up )

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:rage::rage::rage:

I want to know WHY there is a SHEET of ICE on my windshield! No. I'm not kidding. My husband even went out to see for himself. It's not just a little - it's a solid sheet.

The temp at MacDill - normally colder than us - is about 40... yet I've got ice. How can this be?

Fortunately we brought in the Cyrtostachys and the seedlings Just In Case. Had we not done so, they'd surely not have survived. As for the rest, I have no idea what we will lose. I doubt that anything in the ground will be hurt, except maybe the spindle, but dunno about the ones in pots.

I have to get ready to go to work. how do I get this stupid ice off the car :rage:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I want to know WHY there is a SHEET of ICE on my windshield! No. I'm not kidding. My husband even went out to see for himself. It's not just a little - it's a solid sheet.

The temp at MacDill - normally colder than us - is about 40... yet I've got ice. How can this be?

Fortunately we brought in the Cyrtostachys and the seedlings Just In Case. Had we not done so, they'd surely not have survived. As for the rest, I have no idea what we will lose. I doubt that anything in the ground will be hurt, except maybe the spindle, but dunno about the ones in pots.

I have to get ready to go to work. how do I get this stupid ice off the car :rage:

Here, use this, it's a Scarborough sunrise, a bayside suburb just north of me.

PICT7634.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here, use this, it's a Scarborough sunrise, a bayside suburb just north of me.

Mmmm, Wal what a beautiful photo!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny-

Almost unbelievably, McDill is logging 1.5C / 34.7F at the last report (655AM)!

And, Vandenberg's thermometer seems unable to register below 0C/32F, as its been stuck there for several hours.

Tampa AP is showing 6C/42F, Clearwater AP 9C/49F, and downtown St. Pete also 9C/49F. There are lots of amatuer stations showing upper 30's to low 40's all through Pinellas.

Currently 40.8F at my house, with a low of 40.2F at 616AM.

Youve got ice on your car for one simple reason....the car's surface was wet and it got below freezing. When we had the last cold blast a few weeks ago and the air was 40F and very damp, I measured the temp of the wet roof of my wifes car in the driveway and it was 32.6F! So....just barely averted frost formation. Such skyward facing surfaces can easily get below the air temperature as they radiate they heat to the sky.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Thankfully, frost rarely forms on plant surfaces at temps above freezing.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thankfully, frost rarely forms on plant surfaces at temps above freezing.

Yes...that surely would have been a nasty turn if Mother Nature had made the typical plant surface like that of a car (emissivity I believe is the term which describes this):mrlooney:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Sunny,

I had ice on my windshield as well! I was surprised. My neighbor had a white lawn too! I brought my palm seedlings inside the unheated greenhouse which showed a temp of 44. Outside I was measuring 39 at 7 am. I'm a little worried about my planted palms & other tropicals. :angry:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Hi from Europe,

crazy weather here. heavy snow storms across northern and central europe and even in spain! the cold air is ranging to north africa (algeria/tunisia/marroco). there they have unusually cold temps around 10 to 15C (50-59F) and night lows down to 0C (32F). Whereas in greece it's unusually warm with 25C (77F) during the day and 20C (68F) in the night and very rainy.

here in my region (southwest germany) it's not really cold but rainy and all in all very gray! but my trachys and chamaerops are doing quite well...

Egads, what is going on?? Sorry to see all that frost, Keith, though to be honest I'm more shocked and appalled at the reports of ice on windshields of cars here in Pinellas. I knew it was cold, but ICE?? Small consolation about the surface being the culprit--it's still just splitting hairs as far as me and the weather are concerned.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Had a 17C minimum and light gentle rain. The garden is moist, the air is humid with the smell of nice forest soil and humus in the air and Eucalyptus oil. The sun is gently poking out between the clouds. It's going to be a lovely yet cool December day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Egads, what is going on?? Sorry to see all that frost, Keith, though to be honest I'm more shocked and appalled at the reports of ice on windshields of cars here in Pinellas. I knew it was cold, but ICE?? Small consolation about the surface being the culprit--it's still just splitting hairs as far as me and the weather are concerned.

Here you go, I got some appalling for ya! :rolleyes:

post-1207-1228350664_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1228350715_thumb.jpg

But, it is just a normal winter here, so far!

Hit 35.1 F here in my yard this morning (12/3/08). No frost on the car or on the ground or plant surfaces, but plenty on the rooftops of people's houses. Incidentally, this is about the 6th rooftop frosting I have seen here this cold season already...... Once out of my community and into the boonies there was actually quite a bit of frost on the ground and even surrounding shrubby vegetation. I was starting to feel like I am the only person posting from the Tampa Bay area that has had frosty rooftops and such ridiculously low temperatures in my yard so far this season - That being said, I am surprised that Pinellas got as cold and frosty as reported last night. So far, nothing appears to have taken any serious damage....but these sort of things can take some time to show up. Well, I take that back, the top frond on my C. mitis is looking a little scortched these days - what wimps these are - even V. arecina and Adonidia have taken these early cold snaps better. The extended forcast looks fair with no more 30s at least, but I sure wish we could get some warmer weather in here before winter really arrives....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Keith, nice thing about papayas is that they can grow to tree proportions in one growing season - and produce fruit! B)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

How are you guys in SE QLD going? Just been seeing incredible hail storms and lightening on the news tonight.

Best regards

Tyrone