IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palms planted close together

southlatropical

If mule palms were planted just a few feet apart would they grow out away from each other or just grow straight up and be crowded?

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

I've got 2 seedlings with 4 or so leaves, in a pot maybe a half inch apart, and one is already trying to lean away from the other

Two big mule palms growing out away from each other could look spectacular. But if they grow straight up and crowd each other it would look terrible.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

I planted two Queens next to each other about a foot apart. Unfortunatly they grew straight up and have crowded each other. All the Mules that i have i planted 10ft apart, so i can't answer your question as far as Mules go.

BTW, you must be an LSU fan judging by your avatar!!!! :)

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Interesting question... as queens will usually grow straight up and yet butias will move outward to get some space.... someone needs to try this!!! :) Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Interesting question... as queens will usually grow straight up and yet butias will move outward to get some space.... someone needs to try this!!! :) Jv

I agree. But I don't want to use my mules to find out. :winkie:

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

You can always get the double mule or triple mule or quad mule. Propagated from one seed. Then they will not reach out. I posted photos of them. Not sure if I did it on this forum.

post-1930-1227714884_thumb.jpg

You can always get the double mule or triple mule or quad mule. Propagated from one seed. Then they will not reach out. I posted photos of them. Not sure if I did it on this forum.

post-1930-1227715178_thumb.jpg

My god, what did you do to that Mule. Roots chopped and barerooted. I am in shock. Wait, I think I am going to be sick. LOL.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My god, what did you do to that Mule. Roots chopped and barerooted. I am in shock. Wait, I think I am going to be sick. LOL.

Hahhahah I know right. It was an experiment to see how large we can go bare root, and ship. So far the the triple and double are doing well after being repotted. We have done it up to 6ft so far. The chopping of the roots that was a big no no. They still have done well.

However chopping of the saw palmetto roots did not do so well.

If mule palms were planted just a few feet apart would they grow out away from each other or just grow straight up and be crowded?

Southlatropical,

Maybe you will see this after it was hijacked,maybe not? :winkie:

My guess is if you want them to grow out and away from each other ,plant them closer than a few feet apart.

Here is a pic of a plain queen palm ,not a hybrid, a triple in my old neighborhood. These have grown away from each other,an IMHO is a unique,and beautiful triple planting, even though they are JUST ordinary queens! :winkie:

These were just over trimmed when I took the pic,but are really pretty when they have a full crown of fronds!

post-303-1227723002_thumb.jpg

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

And last, but not least the BASAL region!

I have two one gal 'Silver Queen' palms that need to be repotted. Maybe I'll try that with them.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

I"ve seen many different species of palm planted close together, but most are not dramtic, with long, sweeping arches opposed from one another.

Most plantings are similar to these queen palms below.

1073006713042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

1358356508042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

Walt ,

I agree it would be hard to get the exact same effect planting 3 in a row.

However the idea,or what I was trying to convey was that even plain queens will grow away from each other if planted close together.I would think with butia genes in the mix, this would be even more pronounced,ie;them growing AWAY from each other.

But I could be wrong? :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Hi, Walt:

I'm wondering if Butyagrus in such a planting might curve out further than queen. Do you have any related observations? Am looking for a place for three XButyagrus myself.

Hi, ErikSJI:

I'm disappointed - didn't notice four plants from one "nut." I don't remember ever seeing a Butia seed with 4 compartments.

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Here are some multi trunked Royals that I think look really good.

Palms_0520.jpg

Palms_0521.jpg

Palms_0629.jpg

These have also arched nicely away from each other to varying degrees.

I would think Mules would do the same, but just take longer to do so?

Palms like Veitchias REALLY arch away from each other even from a small size and as such make great multi trunked plantings.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I have planted a few years ago several double Mules. They were singles blowing out a 7 gallon pot. When i planted them, i had about 6inches between the two pots. They have'nt started to spread yet but they have'nt developed a trunk yet either, so time will tell. I'll take some pics when i go to the field tommorrow. I have been needing to show Ed Brown and Merrill Wilcox pics of my Mule palm field for some time now.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Hi, Walt:

I'm wondering if Butyagrus in such a planting might curve out further than queen. Do you have any related observations? Am looking for a place for three XButyagrus myself.

Hi, ErikSJI:

I'm disappointed - didn't notice four plants from one "nut." I don't remember ever seeing a Butia seed with 4 compartments.

Best Wishes,

merrill

It is now in the hands of brooksville farms, they receive a majority of our Mule palms. I will have Richard take a photo of it. There is just 3 comparments that is why I was confused when I had asked in a earlier thread. As stated earlier by someone, you can get up to 3 per compartment apparently.

Walt ,

I agree it would be hard to get the exact same effect planting 3 in a row.

However the idea,or what I was trying to convey was that even plain queens will grow away from each other if planted close together.I would think with butia genes in the mix, this would be even more pronounced,ie;them growing AWAY from each other.

But I could be wrong? :)

Scot, those queens in your photo have the most arch I've seen for queens planted close together. One really never knows what they might wind up with when planting palms close together. I've seen Washingtonia robustas at a park planted as triples. They had the immediate arch at the base then went straight up again.

Mad about palms

Hi, Walt:

Hi, ErikSJI:

Best Wishes,

merrill

Merrill: No, I haven't run across any butt to butt plantings of butiagrus palms -- yet!

These three aren't even no where's near close:

2188732450042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

1358356508042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Walt! That Queen grouping is something else! Fantastic!

Larry: When I first read this posting (by original poster) I thought of those royals you photographed a couple of years ago.

As you may recall, I planted 10 small queen palms in a clump about two years ago. Some are still very small, almost the size as when I planted the clump. Others have grown many times as much.

I also planted a triple set about five years ago. They are only now starting to trunk. I'm looking forward as to how they will eventually turn out in terms of trunk arching away from one another.

Oh, and with respect to that larger clump of queens in my photo, I think they would look much better had the owner trimmed them up of all those dead fronds and spathes, etc. That photo is now 3-1/2 years old. I must go by there someday and see what the queens look like now.

Mad about palms

Walt, Thats a great shot of those mules, makes you wonder if they were planted large or if the owner had enough foresight to plant them small and wait for them to turn out awesome!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Walt, Thats a great shot of those mules, makes you wonder if they were planted large or if the owner had enough foresight to plant them small and wait for them to turn out awesome!

Allen: I spotted those mules about six years ago and take a photo of them each year to update my Webshots album. I've always wanted to ask the owner about them (where he got them; how large were they, etc.). However, I've never seen the owner(s) around or any kind of activity at all around the house.

The photo doesn't really convey it, but the trunks on these mules appear slightly fatter than all the other mule palms I've seen in my area. This is another reason I would like to talk to the owner.

Mad about palms

Let me go all the way back to the wording in the original post which was something like "planted a few feet apart." I think if that is done literally, they would grow straight up. If you want that curved look, the key might be planting inches apart, rather than feet.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hahhahah I know right. It was an experiment to see how large we can go bare root, and ship. So far the the triple and double are doing well after being repotted. We have done it up to 6ft so far. The chopping of the roots that was a big no no. They still have done well.

However chopping of the saw palmetto roots did not do so well.

Are you sure you did that bareroot experiment right? To be sure you have emulated the total conditions for that test, I suggest you bareroot a double Mule again, just like that one, and ship it to me. I will then plant it, and send you pictures every month. That was you will have added the rigors of shipping and planting by an average recipient. For you, I will even waive my normal fee and do this for free. :lol:

I planted mine about 2-3 foot apart and so far no bending of the palms, I'm hoping as they get bigger it will happen but I'm doubtful. Basically my last hope now is that they grow at vastly different speeds as I really like the look of crowded palms if the crowns are at different heights.

Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

When this mystery is solved, let's move on to the same question with Bismarkia.

Palms are life, the rest is details.