IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

From Accuweather's Henry Margusity

SubTropicRay

Come on y'all. I'm practicing reverse fortune here. If I keep saying this will be the winter to end all winters, then perhaps it will not come true. There's no room for positive thinking in this type of twisted logic. Please, stick to the program. :P

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Come on y'all. I'm practicing reverse fortune here. If I keep saying this will be the winter to end all winters, then perhaps it will not come true. There's no room for positive thinking in this type of twisted logic. Please, stick to the program. :P

That's pretty much the philosophy I live by. :lol:

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Eric, your logic of "annuals that get lucky" is a great and very Zen-like one...I have to keep that in mind constantly here in this southern REFRIGERATOR I moved to four years ago from frost-free Los Angeles...oh well. I love my Sabals, Rhapis, Chamaedorea radicalis, Livistona chinensis and saribus, Phoenix sylvestris, etc. and appreciate that they are the mostly hardy backbone along with lots of dieback herbaceous tropicals...and that my beautiful Bismarckia, which has survived three years now and looks wonderful despite repeated insults down to 23F and many hours below freezing, one day will do that 'Adonidia' thing in a below-average winter. But there are more Bismarckias at Home Depots everywhere and I just chant that mantra when I find myself in a downward spiral dreading the onset of winter. (Did I say onset? At this point I can hardly believe that winter is still weeks away.) I already am suffering from my second cold of the season and it's still autumn, and three (more) months of depression await as I try again to learn to love Camellias...these Arctic winters are not suitable for weak-genetic southern California boys like me. Let's see, when do I make my first winter trip to Fairchild? Thank goodness for those cheap Southwest non-stops from New Orleans to Lauderdale on Friday nights.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Yep - there's a name for "positive thinking" - it's called Tempting Fate. :lol:

Eric - the freeze you mentioned, the one at the end of January - that's the freeze I was talking about. We had a few hours around 27F, and I heard some in west Broward had the same! That was one bad night. I did notice that the Adonidias around here weren't as badly affected as my spindle.

But freezes/frosts can be very strange. Year before last, there was one awful night when there were freeze or frost watches in every county - except Pinellas. Yes, even mainland Monroe. Weird.

Thanks to Larry & Michael for the encouraging words about the hardiness of P. utilis. Ours is still a juvy, so I may try and make a "teepee" for it and cover it with blankets, if we have to protect it from cold. It's great to know they become hardier as they get big. Yeah, those "strap" leaves are tough - and thorny!.... ugh, I should have worn gloves, when I was tending to it last weekend. :rolleyes: We also have a smaller one, the species escapes me, and a dwarf baptisii. If I get my camera situation straightened out, I'll post pics.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I know the feeling you are all having. It's called the WD (winter dread) I've been thinking about it for weeks, and I haven't even had a frost yet, but I know it's coming. Each night gets a little cooler and my high today was 52 F. and the nights around 42 F. I think I had about 30 minutes of sun today. I go into a winter funk about this time and don't recover untill the end of March.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I know the feeling you are all having. It's called the WD (winter dread) I've been thinking about it for weeks, and I haven't even had a frost yet, but I know it's coming. Each night gets a little cooler and my high today was 52 F. and the nights around 42 F. I think I had about 30 minutes of sun today. I go into a winter funk about this time and don't recover untill the end of March.

Dick

I am there Dick. Two light frost and one freeze already. Back to back nights now predicted for light freezes next week. And this is all before we normally even get our first freeze. I hate this winter already.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages