IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

some palms at McKee Gardens

Eric in Orlando

A few palms I saw growing at McKee Gardens in Vero Beach, FL

old Roystonea regia, a survivor of the '80's freezes

img_0856.jpg

Cocos nucifera

img_0829.jpg

Areca catechu

img_0830.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis

img_0857.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Pritchardia sp., maybe P. pacifica ?

img_0863.jpg

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

img_0864.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa, loaded wih green fruit

img_0844.jpg

Satakentia liukiuensis

img_0850.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

great pix,eric.love that a.catechu.wish i could grow any of the arecas here.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I had the opportunity to visit this wonderful, "Old Florida" garden during a palm expedition in the late 1980's. In my opinion, it looked pretty rough at the time, but some hard core members of the community were determined to bring this wonderful garden back to life. Here is a brief history of the garden, near Vero Beach.

In 1922, the McKee-Sexton Land Company was established in Vero Beach, Florida. This partnership purchased an 80-acre tropical hammock along the Indian River in 1929 and McKee Jungle Gardens was born.

With the help of landscape architect William Lyman Phillips, now known as the pioneer of tropical landscape architecture, the basic infrastructure of streams, ponds and trails was designed. Native vegetation was augmented with ornamental plants and seeds from around the world as Arthur G. McKee and Waldo E. Sexton set about assembling one of the most outstanding collections of water lilies and orchids.

By the 1940's more than 100,000 tourists were visiting McKee Jungle Gardens each year, making it one of Florida's most popular attractions. In the early 1970's, attendance dwindled due to competition from new large-scale attractions and the garden was forced to close its doors in 1976.

The land was sold and all but 18 acres were developed. The remaining acreage, zoned for additional development, sat vacant for twenty years. In 1994, the Indian River Land Trust launched a fund-raising campaign and successfully purchased the property on December 1, 1995 for $1.7 million.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

We went in 2006 and it was pretty beat up from the previous 2 years of hurricanes.

There were plenty of royals but not much else.

Actually, they labeled everything as roystonia - even the following...

post-2079-1225844003_thumb.jpg

Its a really nice jungly garden. It has made a good recovery from the hurricanes. Quite a few old royals that survived the 80's freezes and big banyan-type Ficus. Quite a few clumps of unusual bamboo species has been planted so it will really bea nice bamboo collection when thse form mature clumps.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for posting Eric. This is another historic garden worth preserving.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Eric, Great shots.I am now trying to recall the recent Post of a nearby neighborhood with some incredible McKee palms in that area.Lot's of mature rare stuff.

What you look for is what is looking

bubba I beleive it is a housing development (private community),that was once a part of McKee Jungle Gardens,but was part of the acreage that was sold off!

There was a thread recently here is the link

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...hl=Mckee+Jungle

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

• 3 months later...

I was at McKee Botanical the other day and took a few pics. Found a few other jewels not listed above so I thought I would post a few pics. Sorry for the sun glares on some of the pics ol junky camera.

SANY2367.jpg

Coccothrinax crinita

SANY2375.jpg

SANY2366.jpg

Phoenix rupicola

SANY2369.jpg