IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

An "English summer" is what we call mid Spring here. Low twenties during the day, mid teens at night, humid and a spot of rain every other day. Gentle, pleasant weather that only happens for about 3 or 4 days in England or for at least as long as the Saturday afternoon matinee. :D Every other type of weather in the UK is equivalent to our winter or much much colder. :(

We had 20mm of rain overnight. The rain was so heavy that when it ran off my ginger leaves it made small holes in the ground everywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

More rain here tonight. Just drove back from the Brisbane Palm Society meeting and it started pouring down once we got near the Gold Coast. It is torrential outside now. Some local areas have had 150mm (6") tonight. Yet Brisbane, 75 kms north has only had a light shower. Amazing what a few kilometres does to the weather.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

More rain here tonight. Just drove back from the Brisbane Palm Society meeting and it started pouring down once we got near the Gold Coast. It is torrential outside now. Some local areas have had 150mm (6") tonight. Yet Brisbane, 75 kms north has only had a light shower. Amazing what a few kilometres does to the weather.

Daryl

It fell a few hours later here Daryl. I checked the rain gauge, 105 mls , and it woke us up, sounded like the heavens were falling on top of us, thundering rain.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

An "English summer" is what we call mid Spring here. Low twenties during the day, mid teens at night, humid and a spot of rain every other day. Gentle, pleasant weather that only happens for about 3 or 4 days in England or for at least as long as the Saturday afternoon matinee. :D Every other type of weather in the UK is equivalent to our winter or much much colder. :(

We had 20mm of rain overnight. The rain was so heavy that when it ran off my ginger leaves it made small holes in the ground everywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

Gotcha. We are having an Indian Summer here. That is when we have some cold early in the fall, but them temperatures moderate for a few weeks. It has been cooler than normal here, but not really all that cold.

But its coming, I am sure. Ahhh, my fantasies of missing a winter. Actually happened a few years back, we didn't even have a frost, much less a freeze.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Daryl

It fell a few hours later here Daryl. I checked the rain gauge, 105 mls , and it woke us up, sounded like the heavens were falling on top of us, thundering rain.

Yeah, I saw it move up the coast to your place shortly after I posted. They got 180mm at Burleigh, but we only ended up getting about 50mm last night. However, we've had another 20mm today and it is absolutely torrential again now. I really think we've had enough now! Please Mr Blue Sky...come back!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It's raining now.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's 5:40 p.m. the wind is blowing about 10 mph and the temp is 77 F. It's to cold to sit outside in shorts and Tee shirt. :mrlooney:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Temperature max. 15º

Min. 8º

Does nothing for wind, the sky is slightly overcast. It does not rain.

While there is snow in the north, south is pretty good, with a jacket. :P

Regards.

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a

Woke up to light rains on this Thanksgiving morning. 60% chance of rain for the next 3 days and boy do we need it. Projected lows down to 35f for Monday morning, but that won't hurt anything. Small price to pay for the rains.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Daryl

A few kms????? Try a few metres... It was raining before here, a mere 5mm :rolleyes: and bone dry down the road....

BTW, once you have enough of the rain, please give them back!!! It is not nice to steal it for too long!!

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

A few kms????? Try a few metres... It was raining before here, a mere 5mm :rolleyes: and bone dry down the road....

BTW, once you have enough of the rain, please give them back!!! It is not nice to steal it for too long!!

Ari, believe it or not, id didn't rain here today! Just overcast, humid and warm.

Daryl

It's been a cool November over here. Annual rainfall is not far off average. Here's something from the Elders weather website.

Perth residents have had to cope with their coldest November in 37 years but it is slowly warming up, possibly reaching 30 degrees early next week, for the first time in more than a month.

When both daytime and overnight temperatures were combined, Perth’s average temperature came in at just over 18 degrees, colder than any November since 1971 and more than a degree colder than the long-term norm.

This is also the first November in 44 years in which the temperature has failed to reach 30 degrees. Daytime temperatures have only averaged a little over 23.5, the lowest in 17 years. Nighttime temperatures have averaged about 12.5, possibly the lowest in more than 50 years.

Over the next week winds will turn from cool southerly to northeasterly and drag some warm air to the southwest of Western Australia. However the warmer weather will not last, a cooler change will arrive on Wednesday before warming up again by the end of the week.

It may be a while before a heatwave arrives. There is little chance of it getting to the mid-30s during the first half of December.

Tyrone

So humid here today and I've got to mow right now before it really gets worse, woops, too late, my knee caps just slid down to me feet.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's been a cool November here too Tyrone. We had 10 nights below 10C this month. That has to spell trouble for the coming winter.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's been a cool November over here. Annual rainfall is not far off average. Here's something from the Elders weather website.

Perth residents have had to cope with their coldest November in 37 years but it is slowly warming up, possibly reaching 30 degrees early next week, for the first time in more than a month.

When both daytime and overnight temperatures were combined, Perth’s average temperature came in at just over 18 degrees, colder than any November since 1971 and more than a degree colder than the long-term norm.

This is also the first November in 44 years in which the temperature has failed to reach 30 degrees. Daytime temperatures have only averaged a little over 23.5, the lowest in 17 years. Nighttime temperatures have averaged about 12.5, possibly the lowest in more than 50 years.

Over the next week winds will turn from cool southerly to northeasterly and drag some warm air to the southwest of Western Australia. However the warmer weather will not last, a cooler change will arrive on Wednesday before warming up again by the end of the week.

It may be a while before a heatwave arrives. There is little chance of it getting to the mid-30s during the first half of December.

Tyrone

Aloha Tyrone,

Would you send those facts to the crazy American Al Gore. He thinks the world is warming up. October was the 44 coldest in the ppast 75 years.

Wai`anae Steve

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

So humid here today and I've got to mow right now before it really gets worse, woops, too late, my knee caps just slid down to me feet.

Yes, Wal, it was a humid night eh! And I mowed today as well...must have lost 5 kilos...

Getting smashed by this thunderstorm ATM...how about you?

Daryl

Yes, Wal, it was a humid night eh! And I mowed today as well...must have lost 5 kilos...

Getting smashed by this thunderstorm ATM...how about you?

Daryl

Yeh, the storm is here too, hang on, it's gone already, not much to talk about though, just returned from seeing "Australia" at the pictures. Great movie, highly recommend it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Talking about humid, I spent 4 hours in the sun this morning!!! Almost killed me!!!! I hope those lawn plugs know what I had to go through to plant them.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Talking about humid, I spent 4 hours in the sun this morning!!! Almost killed me!!!! I hope those lawn plugs know what I had to go through to plant them.

Ari, it must be getting very humid up that way now...I guess I'll feel it in a couple of weeks!

Daryl

Weren't we (ratpackers) in Darwin this time last year ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We just got a storm!! Only 15mm but very active with all the thunder, lightning and wind too. Not as much rain, but it makes everything wet and I am happy... I don't have to water tonight...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Weren't we (ratpackers) in Darwin this time last year ?

This time last year we had more regular afternoon, hence the heat and humidity is not so bad. These days, we have the humidity and the heat, and not the rain, hence MANGO MADNESS....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone

Aloha Tyrone,

Would you send those facts to the crazy American Al Gore. He thinks the world is warming up. October was the 44 coldest in the ppast 75 years.

Wai`anae Steve

Yeah I know, but as you may already know, the weather is one big series of interconnected oscillations, like waves on a pond or at sea. One month doesn't prove much over a 100 year sample for example, but I'm no expert, so I don't know what a cool Nov means. We had a warmer Oct than average by a significant margin, so it's anyone guess what Dec will be like. Long range forecast puts Dec at average max, above average min, and above average rainfall for my area. Our winters are getting drier, but our Spring, Summers, and Autumn are getting wetter every year, and more humid, which is great for my tropical garden, which is going off at the moment. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Finally decent rain and storm tonight... We got 44mm so far and it looks like it is going to drizzle all night... And our steer is back!! Hopefully this is a start of what is to come. Better late than never...

post-512-1227979333_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Should see some bamboo culms happening too Ari, well done on the rain, hope your storms don't get too angry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The bamboo has been away since it started to warm up. We have been keeping the water up to them, so they have decent size shoots now.. Even the 4 behind the dam start to take off now. Can't wait!! We are planting 2 more today... the ground should be soft and moist.... I haven't decided where to plant the Rachel Carson... as Scott wants it to be a specimen bamboo instead of a hedge/wind break... behind the dam.

It is amazing how much the rain has cooled down the temperature. Before the storm it was close to 40deg and it went down to 27deg. Don't you just love it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

IT's now 5 p.m. It's 74 in the house. It's been drizzling all day but we only got 0.04" of rain.

I'm cold, I just put on a long sleve shirt and socks.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr :drool:

Lawn plugs?????????????? You mean you are planting something other than palms :lol:

Lawn plugs?????????????? You mean you are planting something other than palms :lol:

I planted a variegated clusia, 2 dendrocalamus bamboos, 3 palms, a custard apple, an eucalyptus and a hibiscus too, if you really want to know. I don't like limit myself to one type of plants... I love them all!!! Forgot to plant the carpoxylon... maybe next week's job....

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I planted a variegated clusia, 2 dendrocalamus bamboos, 3 palms, a custard apple, an eucalyptus and a hibiscus too, if you really want to know. I don't like limit myself to one type of plants... I love them all!!! Forgot to plant the carpoxylon... maybe next week's job....

Since it rained all day I just had time to plant a few spindle palm seeds and one Chambeyronia hookeri about 15" tall.

Aloha Steve

Ari, sit back and watch those bamboos explode with growth. :D Any pics.

Can't wait to see my Bamboo explode with growth, but I am in the wrong hemisphere for that, haha. I'll just have to wait.

Oh the good side, we did get some rain over the last few days. Cold is coming, but not too bad. Low of 40f tonight and 34f tomorrow night, then things will moderate again. Tis the see-saw of my locale.

Ari, sit back and watch those bamboos explode with growth. :D Any pics.

nothing to see yet... still small. I will take photos after the wet...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"