IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

43F in the open this morning. I suspect with radiational cooling conditions, it was a few degrees warmer under the oak canopy.

When I walked around my yard this AM with a thermocouple in hand, the south side of my house (which has fairly dense overhead palm leaf canopy and house walls on both sides ~20 ft apart)), it was about 1.5F warmer than in the open.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

During last years advective freeze, the area under oak canopy was at least 3-4 degrees warmer. The neighbors two story house and B. oldhamii bamboo and my privacy fence help too I suppose. Even in windy conditions, these little things add up to make a noticeable difference.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

55 mls last night, hail damaged some plant leaves like plumeria and the sunflowers. Power went off for about 2 minutes only, all good.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

What a difference a few days makes!!!

Hope everyone in Florida is doing OK.

Last week, I was complaining about 80 degree weather.

San Antonio had it's first brush with frost, Sunday Nov 16th. (early)

Weather has been great for getting outside.

Highs in the 70's with low humidity.

Our first "cold day" is forecast tomorrow:

55/44 F

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

A strong thunderstorm struck this late aftenoon and dropped a lot of water. The rains have returned in full.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

43F in the open this morning. I suspect with radiational cooling conditions, it was a few degrees warmer under the oak canopy.

I hope that's a little off. NOAA says 44 for TPA last night. Not even going to say what my thermometer said.

When are we going to go to Fairchild, Ray? It would be nice to go on a day when it gets to at least 80, but anything to get away from this mess.

A few of my palms are already starting to look beat up. Pretty much what I was expecting them to look like by March. I must say that this is not what I expected so early, but we've established that. Lower leaves on coconuts really show damage- my gosh these are tender. I can't see damage on any other mature local specimens (which do exist to be sure). New leaves on banana look fine (old leaves burned up in the October cold); heliconias alright, maybe a few yellowish leaves. Veitchias, on the other hand, don't look much worse than they did before it dipped below 60 in October.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

we have nice day today in baja california. i like my job very much for i go almost every week to diferent parts of the peninsula, today i take this foto of the weather of today of the grapes in guadalupe valley altitude 400-500 meters between tijuana and ensenada in the sierra juárez mountains. in this area is where they make most the mexican wine. very dry and 28 C - 82 F on the thermometer of the car when i take the foto. my cocos nuciferas still growing very good but the howea forsterianas want more cool weather.

post-285-1227237074_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

What a difference a few days makes!!!

Hope everyone in Florida is doing OK.

Last week, I was complaining about 80 degree weather.

San Antonio had it's first brush with frost, Sunday Nov 16th. (early)

Weather has been great for getting outside.

Highs in the 70's with low humidity.

Our first "cold day" is forecast tomorrow:

55/44 F

Cold front came through SA TX today about 6 pm. Dropped from about 80F to the 60s almost instantly, and is now in the low 50s and windy. Tomorrow may not make it out of the 50s, although no frost or freeze expected. Still no frost or freeze on tap, the 16th did get down to 35 but no frost at least at my house

Been absolutely gorgeous during the day here, at least up until now, with temps mainly in mid/upper 70s. Tomorrow will definitely feel cold. Average first frost/freeze is about Dec 1, will we make it past that with no official freeze?

Lower leaves on coconuts really show damage- my gosh these are tender.

Newly planted I assume?

Larry 

Brian,

I'm up for a Fairchild trip anytime. The 80F part however, will be a difficult requirement to meet. :D

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

55 mls last night, hail damaged some plant leaves like plumeria and the sunflowers. Power went off for about 2 minutes only, all good.

Wal, I hope you and everyone in SE QLD escape all that wild weather that seems to be continuously beating you guys up. Your drought must have well and truly lifted by now. I wonder if you'll be off water restrictions soon.

We've got a week of rain and thunderstorms tomorrow which is completely unlike Perth at this time of year. It's meant to be blue skies and dry this time of year. Palms are going crazy.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Utt Ohhh!

Even though the temp was around 42F this morning I noticed a few shingles on my house are white with light frost, the first time this year and about 1 week later than normal. Thus far, November has been much warmer than normal with many toastey days in the low 80's. It's time for me to move the tender things under cover.

Dick

Richard Douglas

We have our first projected freeze projected for the morning. Only projected for 32, so that means probably less than an hour below freezing, but it will be our first freeze non-the-less.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Good luck with the freeze.

Here on the equator there was a very strong thunderstorm about 5 AM today and it has been over cast and cool all day. The current temperature is 30°C

(86 °F). Which is on the cool side for these parts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Keith,

Good luck with the freeze.

Here on the equator there was a very strong thunderstorm about 5 AM today and it has been over cast and cool all day. The current temperature is 30°C

(86 °F). Which is on the cool side for these parts.

dk

Thanks Don.

This is about as mild as a freeze can get, but still requires a little prep. I grabbed some tropical type house plants from the back porch and put them inside along with a few palm seedlings like Royals and similar. You know, those marginal things I should not be wasting my time with at all. I am in the process of moving the rest of my seedlings out from the open and onto the front porch where they will be safe from frost. They will be left outside, because even as seedlings if they can't handle an hour below freezing, I probably shouldn't be messing with them anyway.

And by the way, for all reading, it is fricken cold out there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sun is shining bright and hot here today, about 30 c max, chance of another storm tonight, severe winds predicted for this afternoon and evening, could play havoc at the rugby league world cup final between the aussies and the kiwis in Brisbane tonight.

Bought three more aloha shirts today to celebrate this amazing weather.

If it's cold where you are, well, all I can say is,

"I'm just mad about Harry, Harry's mad about meeee"

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

10:20pm and 36.8f already. This just don't feel good.

edit [now 11:15pm and dropped another 1.5 degrees down to 35.2f. I want my momma.]

edit [2:03am, now 33.9f. yep, I am up a little late]

Keith-

No far behind you down here.....at 630AM its currently 39F (and still dropping) at my house! Never have I experienced a morning this cold this early in the year!

Most all stations in the area are in the upper 30's/low 40's as the winds are from the NE. So, except for areas which have water to the east (like downtown St. Petersburg, the consitent warm spot around here)), water proximty isnt doing much this morning!

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Keith-

No far behind you down here.....at 630AM its currently 39F (and still dropping) at my house! Never have I experienced a morning this cold this early in the year!

Most all stations in the area are in the upper 30's/low 40's as the winds are from the NE. So, except for areas which have water to the east (like downtown St. Petersburg, the consitent warm spot around here)), water proximty isnt doing much this morning!

Larry, You are usually 2-3 deg. warmer than me in the AM, but this morning we are the same. Your recorded low 39.2f and I recorded 39.7f.

Larry, You are usually 2-3 deg. warmer than me in the AM, but this morning we are the same. Your recorded low 39.2f and I recorded 39.7f.

Those dang NE winds Scott!

Larry 

Well they missed my forecast by a fair margin last night!

NWS,Wunderground,Weather.com, had forecasts ranging from 46F to 49F for a low last night.

Actual low temp here 41.4F

It has been a chilly Fall for central Florida so far, hope it isn't a preveiw of things to come? :rage:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Hit the bottom here at 33.6f. No freeze. Yahooo.

We are still taking the brunt of the cold weather around here...three nights in a row of 29 F. In November? We don't normally get our first frost till nearly Christmas. All my sensitive palms came inside (Pinanga, Wallichia, Dypsis, etc.)...but the really big things (a huge Pandanus, banyan (OK, in a whiskey barrel in Georgia?) etc. I haven't had time to bring it yet. They don't look too bad, but we will see. The Musa, aroids, gingers and such don't that are in the ground show a hard freeze...I'll have to wait for them to wake up in 2009. So the house looks like a forest inside...what do you want, an empty living room or a Caryota scraping the ceiling??

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Did have one night down to 35F but other than that no where near a freeze yet. None forecasted any time soon.

We have been "promised" flash floods on the island since Thursday nite. So far not much rain. But....since 3 a.m. this morning I've gotten 0.6 inches that about 10 hours total. Nice and slow. Will soak in the ground. Earlier this month I spread out about 100 lbs of fertilizer around the yard hoping for some rain to wash it in.

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Yes, Larry, my coconuts are newly planted. The biggest, which is against the white concrete wall on the south side of my house looks awful. The new leaf is perfect but the rest have anywhere from 66% brown-green mottling to yellow with brown spots. Incredible. I will be hanging on to its receipt for sure.

In the light today, other palms didn't look as bad. Veitchias pretty much unscathed, few tiny spots on some leaves of adonidias, carpentarias out in the open; and very tippy tips of bottle leaves are browned, otherwise bottles look fine.

Ray- possibly before the end of this year. If I think I'll have a weekend, I'll check with you in advance.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Yes, Larry, my coconuts are newly planted. The biggest, which is against the white concrete wall on the south side of my house looks awful. The new leaf is perfect but the rest have anywhere from 66% brown-green mottling to yellow with brown spots. Incredible. I will be hanging on to its receipt for sure.

In the light today, other palms didn't look as bad. Veitchias pretty much unscathed, few tiny spots on some leaves of adonidias, carpentarias out in the open; and very tippy tips of bottle leaves are browned, otherwise bottles look fine.

I just can't believe we're having these conversations and it's still November! This is the kind of thing we talk about in late December - early January. It doesn't bode well for our tender tropicals this year.

Augusta, GA hit 18F - broke its all-time record cold. And did you all know that it snowed in Nags Head, NC today? It seems really early for that.

AggiePalms said,

So the house looks like a forest inside...what do you want, an empty living room or a Caryota scraping the ceiling??

I've got my very favorite crotons in here, along with one angry Cyrtostachys. How big is your Pandanus, btw - is it a utilis?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I just can't believe we're having these conversations and it's still November! This is the kind of thing we talk about in late December - early January. It doesn't bode well for our tender tropicals this year.

Augusta, GA hit 18F - broke its all-time record cold. And did you all know that it snowed in Nags Head, NC today? It seems really early for that.

AggiePalms said,

So the house looks like a forest inside...what do you want, an empty living room or a Caryota scraping the ceiling??

I've got my very favorite crotons in here, along with one angry Cyrtostachys. How big is your Pandanus, btw - is it a utilis?

Must be Globel Warming ; :lol:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Ray- possibly before the end of this year. If I think I'll have a weekend, I'll check with you in advance.

Ray/Brian-

If you guys want a few more tagging along (my father and I), wed be happy to make the trip to Fairchild with you.

Larry 

Low to mid twenties and wet and humid with heavy showers every day over here. 17mm yesterday which is about our Nov average. We're way above average for Nov now. Reticulation is all turned off because the garden been constantly wet.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Heavy winds yesterday blew over my leopard tree which was just starting to look it's best for about 4 years, so green the new leaves.

Here I was thinking how lucky I was not getting any storm damage or flooding from over the last week when on a lovely clear day I get smacked on the back of the complacency head by severe winds. Very very fortunately, it fell on top of my old garage and not onto any palms or neighbours property.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Is it damaged beyond repair, or can it be restaked, pulled up with ropes or something?

regards

Tyrone

It's an English summer over here at the moment. Mid teens at night, low to mid twenties during the day, high humidity, lots of clouds, and the odd shower or two.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's an English summer over here at the moment. Mid teens at night, low to mid twenties during the day, high humidity, lots of clouds, and the odd shower or two.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

What is an "English Summer"?

Is it damaged beyond repair, or can it be restaked, pulled up with ropes or something?

regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone, I've got a tree guy coming today so I'll see what the professionals think.

Here's a link to some pics

Fallen Soldier

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

What is an "English Summer"?

My understanding of an "English Summer" is an ideal summer season of days and nights, just the right warmth, nice to get outside of the house in the park or yard , very little or no rain, a puff of cloud in the sky, lay down on the grass and look up at a dreamy sky, picnic blanket, pork pies, kick the round ball around and that extra bubble in the glass of champagne whilst listening to the travelling wilburys in between the radio call of an ashes cricket test at the gabba.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

How many days of the year do the English have summer?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

How many days of the year do the English have summer?

dk

Now that is funny,even if your English!!! :lol:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Yes, my Pandanus is a utilis...maybe a bit hardier? It will take a few days to get the teenage help I need to move it inside. It is about 9 ft now, growing a couple of feet a year (well, in the summer anyway).

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88