IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

Proof positive that all the cold fronts don't head down into TX like some on here and elsewhere mistakenly beleive. We get more than our share of Northers, but just as many move east of here, bringing cold to the SE while we stay high and dry (and warm/mild).

Here we go again..just about get smashed by another storm...the last bang rattled all of the windows and crockery...I hope this one is not a direct hit...we were lucky on Sunday. Storm season is definitely here!

The main cell looks like it is headed directly for Wal!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here we go again..just about get smashed by another storm...the last bang rattled all of the windows and crockery...I hope this one is not a direct hit...we were lucky on Sunday. Storm season is definitely here!

The main cell looks like it is headed directly for Wal!

Daryl

She's gonna blow right past I'm thinkin'. It's a long way up too, up near Bundy. Looks like the Darlin Downs is gonna get drenched.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The only good thing about living up here is I really don't have to worry now because everything is in greenhouses (of which I now officially have 4 set up)... The only thing I worry about is the power going out.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Well after a 30C day we had a nice decent tropical storm go overhead and drench everything. Big fat rain with lots of thunder and lightening. The humidity is back up to 90%, and the garden is saturated. Yes. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I saw 42 here for a couple hours. Things will look less than stellar but I dodged a bullet. The jungle lives on.

P.S. I skipped the xanax but like Ray, had my cab last night too :lol:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Came just about as close to the 30's without going into them this AM.....40.1F at 702AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Some readings from around the state this AM----

Cross City - 23F

Tallahasse - 25F

Jacksonville - 28F

Tampa - 39F

Orlando - 39F

Clearwater AP - 44F

St Petersburg - 46F

Ft Myers - 43F

West Palm - 46F

Miami - 52F

Key West - 59F

Larry 

It bottomed out at 41.9 here. My crotons will be thankful the 30's never came...this time.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Oh Ray.....drink more wine!

Ive come to the conclusion that nothing truly devastating can come to my yard unless we see 20's.

Larry 

Larry,

The 39 at TIA was so brief it never even showed up in the hourly updates. I'd say it was there for less than the blink of any eye and therefore negligible. Sorry, the engineer in me has taken the form of an attorney.

Ray

Larry,

The 39 at TIA was so brief it never even showed up in the hourly updates. I'd say it was there for less than the blink of any eye and therefore negligible. Sorry, the engineer in me has taken the form of an attorney.

Ray

My station logs and uploads updates to weatherunderground every 1-2 seconds :rolleyes:

The reality is, whether it was 39F,40F,41F makes no real practical difference.

Larry 

Larry,

Sorry, the engineer in me has taken the form of an attorney.

Ray

Look out Bubba!

Larry 

Larry,

Not reaching the 30's in November is a big deal. If we had 40's in October and 30's in November, the next logical step is........in December. Twisted logic I know but that's what you come to expect from me. If this keeps up, I'll be on a path towards public office

Ray

Some readings from around the state this AM----

Cross City - 23F

Tallahasse - 25F

Jacksonville - 28F

Tampa - 39F

Orlando - 39F

Clearwater AP - 44F

St Petersburg - 46F

Ft Myers - 43F

West Palm - 46F

Miami - 52F

Key West - 59F

I don't know where Cross City is off the top of my head, but they can't have too much in the way of palms there. I haven't dropped down to 23F in the last 6-7 winters. Tallahassee always seems to attact the cold weather from what I have seen as well, but I am a little surprised Jax dropped down to 28F.

Jim-

The Jacksonville reading of 28F comes from the airport (KJAX).

There are several other major stations in the area and I just checked them. Jacksonville Craig only dropped to 34F, Jacksonville NAS to 36F, but Cecil Field (which I believe is in the sticks west of town) dropped to 26F.

Larry 

Larry,

Not reaching the 30's in November is a big deal. If we had 40's in October and 30's in November, the next logical step is........in December. Twisted logic I know but that's what you come to expect from me. If this keeps up, I'll be on a path towards public office

Ray

With that logic....January appears positively tragic!

This would indicate lots of trips to Napa Valley for you it would seem :mrlooney:

Larry 

No, the year ends in December.

There's 2 more fronts headed this way! They're lined up line jets on a runway ready to head southeast.

US.jpg

It looks like we're gonna have these fronts about every 1-1.5 weeks. I think Joe Bastardi might be right in his prediction of a bookend winter for the east. Isn't this what we had in 89?

Edited by Derekjp

Pinellas Park, Florida

I recorded 23.9 F on my weather station this morning. It has been awfully cold all week for November. We are supposed to get up to 58F this afternoon. That should feel good compared to the past couple days, but it's about 4F below average.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Misread the forcast. It's only supposed to get up to 49F today. Tomorrow is predicted to be 58F.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

The next two fronts don't appear to have the lasting persistent punch this one/two punch had. The only good thing I can think of is it will be less likely for this pattern to persist or repeat itself before Christmas. In other words, I'd rather have this now than later. The winter of 1989/1990 was a pussycat AFTER the infamous Christmas freeze. Only one bookend there.

Got swamped again overnight and with 30c today with another chance of storms tonight, it feels so tropical, the palms are belting along, as I mentioned elsewhere , it is by far the best weather since I planted palms 7 year ago or thereabouts. The only downside is that some of these storms are super cells with highly destructive forces experienced last Sunday in Brisbane's North Western suburbs.

Storm damage last Sunday

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

There's 2 more fronts headed this way! They're lined up line jets on a runway ready to head southeast.

US.jpg

It looks like we're gonna have these fronts about every 1-1.5 weeks. I think Joe Bastardi might be right in his prediction of a bookend winter for the east. Isn't this what we had in 89?

Well Derek with that post,and prediction, you have surely sent everyone from central Florida and parts north,to their medicine cabinet to check and see what kind of medication they have for depression! :lol:

Ray the VOICE of OPTIMISM???say it ain't so RAY! :)

I'm thinking it is the Cabernet talking myself! :winkie:

Low here on the east coast last night, 40.6 F,supposed to be the same tonight,but we actually had a little cloud cover last night.

So if the wind and clouds dissappear ,I'm thinking maybe a little colder,hope I am wrong?

Haven't broken that 40F mark yet here, there is something psychcological about dipping below that number! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I saw that in the paper yesterday, Wal... I guess those houses aren't designed for 150km/h wind... The storm looked absolutely awesome though... It has been a while since we see something like that!! I think the last one might be 2 years ago, when it almost blew our shadehouse down!!! Can't wait till the next one... but then we are storm freaks... :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow, that was some storm last night. I had to unplug all of the computers and tVs etc as we were getting blasted by thunderbolts. The thunderstorm lasted for 6 hours, and we got 100mm (4") out of it. Not as bad as some areas, but certainly enough to make the garden really soggy! My rain total for the week is now 246mm, or just under 10 inches. I wonder when it is going to let up! I shouldn't complain!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You have to admit, nothing gets Ray more fired-up than a shot of cold weather!

Last night we had torrential rains with lots of thunder and lightning. In the middle of the storm as I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, my bed started shaking and then it stopped. At first I thought I imagined it or I had dreamt it. Then it started shaking again, this time with more force and lasted a little longer. I knew this time it was an earthquake but by the time I decided to get out of bed and head for the door, it stopped. I heard this morning there was an earthquake in Panama last night, a 6.2. I guess I was just feeling the effects of it here in Costa Rica. Scary stuff coming from an Eastern boy who never experienced earthquakes before moving here.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff, An earthquake and thunderstorms. What a combination.

Daryl and Wal, warm weather and night rain is just awesome stuff. We had some thunderstorms go over lastnight after a beautiful sunny 30C day. I stayed under my patio for the first cell, and I reckon we got around 10mm in ten minutes. Then it rained on and off all night with the odd flash of lightening with no wind. Everything is so damp and humid this morning. Really good stuff. My Roystonea oleracea has finally opened his new spear almost all the way, and my big Dypsis rivularis has cracked his new spear open. But the BOM only reckons we got 2.6mm overnight!!!! I reckon I got that in the first 2 minutes. I spose that's the thing with thunderstorm cells. Unless they get a direct hit on the official weather site, the true picture remains unknown. Just east and north of me must have had much less. The radar showed my place getting a direct hit.

Now we've got a low forming to the west of us which is going to hang around for a few days, and a tropical cyclone off the NW and nothing in between. I wonder if one will strip the other of moisture?????

We just unloaded 9 pallets of palms from Darwin yesterday, and these thunderstorms and rain would make them feel right at home today. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow, that was some storm last night. I had to unplug all of the computers and tVs etc as we were getting blasted by thunderbolts. The thunderstorm lasted for 6 hours, and we got 100mm (4") out of it. Not as bad as some areas, but certainly enough to make the garden really soggy! My rain total for the week is now 246mm, or just under 10 inches. I wonder when it is going to let up! I shouldn't complain!

Daryl

Must be time to take a photo shoot of the creek again Daryl. I heard on the radio we look like getting twice the normal rainfall for November. My rain gauge overflowed some time during the night so I don't know what we received.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Went down to 38.7F this morning (11/19/2008) - no frost, it was a little breezy. Seems in line with a lot of the official readings around this area. Unfortunately, I live in new community where they cut all the tall trees and replanted with little ones so the whole community is very exposed. Someday when all these oaks grow up and if I still live here, it will probably stay quite a bit warmer. Good canopy is essential during both windy and non-windy cold events. This is not the first time I have seen the 30s this year. Heck, I think it went to 38 or 39 back in october. There has already been very light frost on the rooftops in my neighborhood a couple of times this season. This winter is not starting out well at all but so far nothing really looks too bad. I expect a lot of stunted palms next spring from the prolonged cool and cold spells. Hopefully, I will be able to avoid a lot of heavy frost or freeze damage.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Another super light Bermuda frost last night, but it keeps coming and coming. Normal lows this time of year might be more 50'ish, but these 30s keep inching lower. Like 37, then 36,36, then 35, and now Friday night is projected at 33. Cool early winter indeed.

1989. So, I keep seeing references to 1989 as being like this year. Well, I don't know exactly as it was a long time ago, and back then I was an avid fisherman and not a gardener, but I do seem to recall that it was a warm fall and early winter. The reason I believe this is that millions of coastal fish were killed here in that freeze. They were killed because they had never left the warm shallow waters and in most winters and temp dropped from the 80s to low or even single digits overnight.

I might be wrong, but I believe this might not be similar at all to 1989. Many plants to much better with cool early winters as they harden off appropriately as opposed to the over night crushing arctic blast.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

We finally got a very accurate Weather Station on the Island of Palm Beach.It is not on the oceanside but it is on the Intracoastal side.The following represent the High/Lows for respective days:

Nov. 17,2008-73/55

Nov. 18,2008-64/59

Nov.19,2008-70/59-still cooling

Obviously,a little different from AP/Icehouse.

What you look for is what is looking

Here we go again, storm time, good luck to us all.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We finally got a very accurate Weather Station on the Island of Palm Beach.It is not on the oceanside but it is on the Intracoastal side.The following represent the High/Lows for respective days:

Nov. 17,2008-73/55

Nov. 18,2008-64/59

Nov.19,2008-70/59-still cooling

Obviously,a little different from AP/Icehouse.

Theres also an official station that sits in the parking lot right near the beach as well. Its called "Lake Worth, FL (lkwf1)" and you can see it on weatherunderground.

Larry 

Dang close to ice forming on my wifes car in the driveway.....at 7AM, the air is 40.9F, and the dewpoint is around 37F (which means the air, and the roof of the car) are very wet.

I measured the temp of the car's roof as 32.6F.....just shy of frost/ice forming.

Larry 

Here we go again, storm time, good luck to us all.

How'd you fare Wal? I was up in the Valley until 9:00pm. They had golf sized hail and 70-80 kmh winds followed by torrential rain for about 15 minutes.

It wasn't as bad down home, we just got 24mm of rain, a little wind and no hail ,fortunately. How many storms have we had this week!

There is another small thunderstorm heading our way now, probably hit in another hour or so.

Daryl

Daryl

Must be time to take a photo shoot of the creek again Daryl. I heard on the radio we look like getting twice the normal rainfall for November. My rain gauge overflowed some time during the night so I don't know what we received.

Here ya go Wal...taken this morning when the sun was shining! As you can see it is running pretty well. It almost broke it's banks last night.

Daryl

post-42-1227186005_thumb.jpg

43F in the open this morning. I suspect with radiational cooling conditions, it was a few degrees warmer under the oak canopy.