IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

Well, I guess technically we had our first frost last night. It was so light, that only the tiny little leaves of the wild Bermuda grass actually frosted, but there was frost. Non-technically, it was a non-event.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Scott,Thought that Permit reference would bring out either you or Ken.Have you ever caught one?Our host is a true fish guy.I am just along for the ride!Looking for Palms!

What you look for is what is looking

bubba,

Yes I have caught permit before,a truly gorgeous fish!

Are going fishing for them on offshore wrecks/reefs,or the FLATS?

They are two totally different animals in each place!

Good luck on the fishing and the palming, the weather should be back to normal or above by the weekend!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

27, 28C the next couple of days, then on Thursday a low parks itself over us and we get 3 or 4 days of rain. It will be a wet weekend for the palm show and sale. It should be quite nice and humid, though coolish for Nov.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

You know I would like to join a winter depression club, but techincally its not even winter yet! Not even December! You know something I've always noticed, when its freezing here its always hot as hell out west. It seems like everytime I see the forecast for southern california or phoenix its like 80-90 degrees right now. Whenever they get colder I'll know that we'll start to get warmer.

Pinellas Park, Florida

The only thing depressing about winter is the lack of daylight hours.

Anyone otherwise depressed is probably growing something they should not be growing to start with. And yes, that applies to me, but after a decade of pushing zones I have come to the reality that all such efforts are temporary anyway, so why be depressed.

Now, once again after many years, I enjoy the cool temperatures and reinvigoration that winter brings, and the yearly newfound appreciation of warmth when summer returns.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Anyone otherwise depressed is probably growing something they should not be growing to start with.

Or someone who has to bike in the cold!

Thermometer: In an icebath for about an hour, reading is 32.7. This does not look good. It got down to 40.4 last night, so after subtracting 0.7, that leaves me with 39.7. I'm sorry but there is no freaking way. No way I'm 5F cooler than the airport, looking at what survived around here last winter. Just wish I had a thermometer that would tell me what I want to hear, which is the TRUTH :wacko:

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Anyone otherwise depressed is probably growing something they should not be growing to start with.

Or someone who has to bike in the cold!

Thermometer: In an icebath for about an hour, reading is 32.7. This does not look good. It got down to 40.4 last night, so after subtracting 0.7, that leaves me with 39.7. I'm sorry but there is no freaking way. No way I'm 5F cooler than the airport, looking at what survived around here last winter. Just wish I had a thermometer that would tell me what I want to hear, which is the TRUTH :wacko:

Hey, I am a cyclist too. Live to far from work to cycle, but envy you and wish I could.

As for the cold, well, step it up man. That just means you can ride that much harder, to generate the extra heat needed. :mrlooney:

Where the h@ll is that new Freeze Pruf stuff available?!?!??!

Hacked off!!! :rage:

If I wanted a d*** change of seasons, I'd be living in GEORGIA!

(if I click my heels three times, will I be back home in broward?)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Forget Broward, best move to the keys. Even better contact Don down in Brazil and see about some prime property in Amazonia for a true non change of seasons, temp wise at least.

I will take this weather any day of the year! 75F/55F. It does not get better than that.Am I missing something? I personally am tired of sweating all day and night long.

I will take this weather any day of the year! 75F/55F. It does not get better than that.Am I missing something? I personally am tired of sweating all day and night long.

Yeah, thats not so bad. I could live with those temps. 70+ for highs and 50+ for lows is about the min of what I consider comfortable. When you have highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s all week thats like flashbacks of back when I was in North Carolina. I might end up in South Florida one day.

Pinellas Park, Florida

VERY UGLY

From the NWS this evening:

LEVY-CITRUS-SUMTER-HERNANDO-PASCO-PINELLAS-HILLSBOROUGH-POLK-

MANATEE-HARDEE-HIGHLANDS-SARASOTA-DE SOTO-CHARLOTTE-LEE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CEDAR KEY...CHIEFLAND...CRYSTAL RIVER...

INVERNESS...BUSHNELL...THE VILLAGES...BROOKSVILLE...SPRING HILL...

NEW PORT RICHEY...ZEPHYRHILLS...CLEARWATER...ST. PETERSBURG...

BRANDON...TAMPA...LAKELAND...WINTER HAVEN...BRADENTON...

WAUCHULA...SEBRING...AVON PARK...SARASOTA...VENICE...ARCADIA...

PORT CHARLOTTE...PUNTA GORDA...CAPE CORAL...FORT MYERS

148 PM EST MON NOV 17 2008

...FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND VERY COLD WIND CHILL READINGS IN STORE

TUESDAY NIGHT...

ANOTHER BLAST OF COLD AND DRY AIR...WITH ITS SOURCE REGION FROM

CENTRAL CANADA...WILL SPREAD FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND VERY COLD

WIND CHILL VALUES TO MUCH OF SOUTHWEST FLORIDA TUESDAY NIGHT AND

EARLY WEDNESDAY. PORTIONS OF HERNANDO...CITRUS...NORTHERN

SUMTER...AND LEVY COUNTIES WILL EXPERIENCE A SIGNIFICANT DURATION

OF FREEZING TEMPERATURES WITH 3 TO 5 HOURS OF TEMPERATURES BELOW

32 DEGREES ANTICIPATED. ELSEWHERE...TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO

DROP INTO THE MID TO UPPER 30S OVER INTERIOR SECTIONS...WITH LOW

40S ALONG THE COAST. INTERIOR LOCATIONS PRONE TO COLD TEMPERATURES

MAY SEE AN HOUR OR TWO OF FREEZING TEMPS. IN ADDITION TO THESE

COLD TEMPERATURES NORTH WINDS OF 5 TO 10 MPH ARE ANTICIPATED

THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT WITH WIND CHILL READINGS IN THE LOWER TO MID

20S NORTH OF TAMPA BAY...AND LOWER 30S TO UPPER 20S ELSEWHERE.

FORECAST TEMPERATURES FOR OVERNIGHT TUESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO APPROACH

OR BREAK MAINLY DAILY RECORDS.

PROLONGED TEMPERATURES NEAR TO BELOW FREEZING MAY SEVERELY DAMAGE

SENSITIVE VEGETATION...AND CAN BE HARMFUL TO PETS. BE PREPARED TO

PROTECT VEGETATION AND PETS TUESDAY NIGHT

St. Pete

No Sunny if you click your heels three times you will be back in Kansas,and you definately don't want to be there right NOW!!! :lol::)

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

West Palm Beach Airport reported 57.5 F.At daybreak.This is sweet!

Not sure where the 57.5F reading was being reported, as the WPB AP is now showing a low of 48F this AM, and a current reading of 50F. And, there was no shrtage of middle 40F readings in interior sections. The winds were out of the NW, so the water effects got minimized.

Oddly enough, the Clearwater AP is logging 59F at 645AM and some beachside locations in Bradenton are still in the lower 60's.

Yet....it is chilly 48F at my house.....or more than one full zone colder.

It goes to show you how large of a role wind direction along with water proximity plays in determining the low temperature.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The icebox of central FL (Brooksville) actually had a warm night at 35F....beats yesterday's 30F!

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

I'm reporting in at my shadehouse with a low of 47F right before the sun's light touched the shadehouse. I enjoy a repreive from the summer's sweltering heat, but this is about 20 degrees to cold for me. I like that 85 to 70 day-night range.

We're expecting our first hard freeze here in Augusta, GA. tonight. Today's high is supposed to be 48F which is about 14 degrees below normal for us. Low tonight (should be our coldest) predicted to be 29F. That should toast the bananas and impatiens, but won't hurt the palms (Sabals, Butias, Trachys, Chamae., etc.). Today is going to be below our January average. Winter is the worst. :(

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Wow...

I can't believe the kind of lows you guys are getting down in Central FL in November... We're only in the 30's at night now - this is crazy. That jetstream really dipped far down....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

The official low for West Palm Beach airport was 49F. Only 2 degrees warmer than me.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That is certainly interesting.I checked Weather Underground at 6:12 AM and it was 57.5F.My car thermometer reported 61F at about the same time.I will tell you there is no way it was 48 F.here this morning.I thought Weather Underground for West Palm was at the Airport.Is it not?

Bubba,

Don't worry, you don't live at the airport right? The airport thermometer is exposed with no trees, winbreaks etc. around so that they measure a true temperature. I'm always 2-3 degrees F warmer than the airport because of the dense foliage and various natural and man made windbreaks. Miami airport got down to 56F this morning so I would tend to believe WPB airport's 49F. You were probably somewhere in between.

By the way, most car thermometers are not reliable. Just like the flashing digital temps you see on bank marquees.

I will tell you there is no way it was 48 F
I tell my wife the same thing all the time. It usually happens when the local TV weatherman reports the current conditions just after I went to get the newspaper.

Ray

I think what happened was that, when you typed in "West Palm Beach, FL" into the weatherunderground search box, the station that flashed up was not the station at the airport. It was an amatuer station called "Lake Park Marina, Lake Park, Florida (PWS)", which was reporting erroneous data.

Here is that stations graph.......looks like a transmission glitch where they reported 57.5F for hours on end.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Don't worry, you don't live at the airport right? The airport thermometer is exposed with no trees, winbreaks etc. around so that they measure a true temperature.

Ive always noted the general tendency for the official highs from the Tarpon Springs station to also be almost universally higher than I see at my house. Having the sensors in the wide open also allows them to see more heating. My sensor (which is fan aspirated) is (fortunately or not) located on the north side of my yard where it never really gets heated by the sun. Its definitely the cold spot of my yard (both with highs and lows), but this is exactly why I placed it there. Many times its 2-3F warmer just 25 feet away from my sensor and around the other side of my yard.

Larry 

Wow, that's cold for you Florida people this time of year! Not cold here , just wet,wet, wet. Another 3" last night...much better than drought, but I must admit it would be good to have a dry day for a change.

How did you go last night Wal? I see BNE got a good drenching.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

28C today with evening thunderstorms. Yes some decent humidity coming our way. Then low to mid twenties and rain after that, and mid teens at night. Not bad. Good for the Rhopies, Hedyscepes etc. A bit of final good growth weather before the insane heat spells start and slow those ones down again.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've gotten lazier and more brazen through out my 6 yrs of hard core gardening. I'm not protecting a thing. If the little canopy does not protect them, I really don't need to be growing them.

Truth be told, I've lost more expensive tropicals to bugs than cold. If I lose a good percentage tonight, then I can finally buy that new kitchen I've been wanting.

All the expense of those HI palms & greenhouse grown tropicals add up after awhile :) Feels good to not stress about them this year.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I've gotten lazier and more brazen through out my 6 yrs of hard core gardening. I'm not protecting a thing. If the little canopy does not protect them, I really don't need to be growing them.

,,,,Feels good to not stress about them this year.

I hit that point a few years back. Once it goes in the dirt, the tether is cut. I used to run around in panic with every hard cold front, scurrying around till well after dark with sheets, blankets, plastic sheeting, lights, etc.

No more. I am now a Dawinian gardener.

Truth be told, I've lost more expensive tropicals to bugs than cold. If I lose a good percentage tonight, then I can finally buy that new kitchen I've been wanting.

All the expense of those HI palms & greenhouse grown tropicals add up after awhile :) Feels good to not stress about them this year.

I wish I could get myself to that point. It's tiresome lugging big pots indoors (mostly done by da husband) and hoping nasty critters don't wriggle out of the soil. :rolleyes: But it would hurt too much to lose some of this stuff.

And we don't have much canopy. Our cozy microclime vanished when we took out the huge (dying) oak near the N/W corner of the lot.

Ray said he was only 2F colder than West Palm. We were 3 degrees colder. ick.

St. Pete

Okay in the winter depression corner we have Ray, Surgeon,and the lovely Sunny! :)

Only slightly behind we have Larry, an Bren, who have tossed caution to the wind,and say live little plants,or die, it's all on you!

If in fact they all really feel that way which is mentally more healthy? :winkie::lol:

I'm somewhere in the middle camp,I would be leaning toward ,Larry and Bren, if I hadn't just planted a 20 foot tall Foxylady in the ground 2 weeks ago! :(

Who am I kidding I am still in the winter depression group! :lol:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Since Bubba lives on an island (according to the location in his signature), he may well have been warmer.

I'm feeling a bit better now, because even though I got down to 41 or whatever last night, according to my thermometer I made a comfortably recovery to a high of 92.3 today! :rolleyes: OH how I wish I could afford to shop somewhere besides BigLots. (yes, the thing probably did get some morning sun)

And it was reading 44 last night while MacDill was 55 and TPA was 53 or so.

St. Louis, MO is supposed to get down to 29 tonight. Tampa 36. Hurricanes at least have the courtesy to only screw over a relatively small number of people in their paths, whereas this cold front is taking no prisoners.

No protection. There is nothing I could do even if I wanted to.

Our projected low for the morning is 35f. We are a nice chilly 48f right now. Only good thing is it is windy, which might keep the frost away if the winds hold.

35 ain't too bad Keith. Considering what I have planted here...

Darryl, can I camp in your yard tonight? I am halfway considering having 2 yards, 2 gardens, and 2 lives one of these days- one in southern FL for the northern hemisphere summer, and one in Australia for the southern hemisphere summer! Imagine that, a snowbird coming FROM Florida and heading south of the equator.

Galveston is supposed to get down to 57 tonight, 61 tomorrow night while we're 38 in Tampa. I tell ya though, they deserve it after Ike.

Has anyone noticed the MacDill reading is no longer 2F below TPA? Don't want to speak too soon, but looks like that reading may be starting to make sense.

Last post for tonight, currently reading 48.0 while MacDill is 55... Good night and good luck everyone.

I am taking my Xanax with a nice full Cabernet. Wake me up in March.

im very sorry for people in southeast united states i hope this winter you have no bad freeze but the fall does not start good for you. today in tijuana i have high 31C - 87F on car thermometer when im driving in the day, i see humiditey today is 35%, more high then in the last 5 days. no more santa ana wind ! todays foto i take of the weather here:

syagrus on avenida revolución very famous street for tourists in down town tijuana.

post-285-1227061886_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

I am taking my Xanax with a nice full Cabernet. Wake me up in March.

And all I have is this lousy diet dr. pepper!

Hey Scott, welcome to the winter depression group, where us Seasonal-Affective zone deniers come to cry. Maybe Ray will share his Cabernet!

St. Pete

Not bad here in TX. Highs in 70s lows in 40s mainly. High was 78F today. A little chilly in the morning, but warming up fast under sunshine. Very nice. Really could use some rain though.