IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

Some areas of the island are getting heavy rain, but here in Wai`anae it's still pretty dry.

Here is the totals up to Oct.

Found some old data from back in the 1930's

\

Rain in Wai`anae

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Well, for once the weather service was right on. The projected low of 36 turned out to be 36.6 per my weather station and there was enough north wind to keep the frost away. We have the same projected low of 36 for tonight, but the winds may not be there, or to put another way, frost may occur.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

OK, different post, but this is a sidebar hypothetical conversation.

It has been in the 70/50 high/low range all week and tonight it will be a low of 30 degrees, and tomorrow night it will be a low of 32 degrees. Which night will really have more cold related effect on your plants and why?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

OK, what's the deal here? I bought a cheap digital thermometer today and its currently reading 49.6F out in the open on my patio, whereas according to weather underground, it is 52 at the airport and even MacDill (notoriously low readings) is reporting 54! I might as well live in Ocala if this thermometer is not way off.

And to make matters worse, I placed it in my yard's "best" microclimate against the southeast side of my house, in a corner between the house and garage walls with 2' overhangs and bordered on a third side by the roof over my front porch and I recorded a whopping 50.0. Same under pine "canopy" right in front of the house.

Only good that will come of this winter, if I can even call it "good," is that the melted veitchias, coconuts, et al will make good compost to pile around the Sabals and Butias. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm just a little upset right now because I was hoping this new thermometer would bring good news instead.

:unsure:

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

OK, what's the deal here? I bought a cheap digital thermometer today and its currently reading 49.6F out in the open on my patio, whereas according to weather underground, it is 52 at the airport and even MacDill (notoriously low readings) is reporting 54! I might as well live in Ocala if this thermometer is not way off.

And to make matters worse, I placed it in my yard's "best" microclimate against the southeast side of my house, in a corner between the house and garage walls with 2' overhangs and bordered on a third side by the roof over my front porch and I recorded a whopping 50.0. Same under pine "canopy" right in front of the house.

Only good that will come of this winter, if I can even call it "good," is that the melted veitchias, coconuts, et al will make good compost to pile around the Sabals and Butias. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm just a little upset right now because I was hoping this new thermometer would bring good news instead.

I think you already said the keyword "cheap."

Alright, I set myself up for that one. But after spending so much money on this house because of microclimate, I couldn't bare to spend a grand on a fancy thermometer just to pound in the truth :violin::D

Wonder what kind of temps Ray is logging...

I have a Davis Pro weather station and at 8:45 I am recording 48.6 up here in N.W.Hillsbourgh. It takes it readings 6' off the ground in the open.

Well, my cheap weather station is logging 44 degrees. So, I'll trade you. You take my cheap weather station, and I'll take your 4.5 degrees warmer anyday.

Up here in Eugene oregon, today we hit a wopping 43F. The low last night was 33F. Tonight its suppose to be around 37F. Thats ok, because all my palms are back in warm bay area right now

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Surgeon I think you and Ray are KINDRED souls.What are you going to do when it really gets COLD?

Maybe you guys should start a 3 month winter depression support group? :lol::) just kidding!

Supposed to get down to 41 F over here tonight,if you intend to have satellite chapters ,maybe I could head up one, over here on the east coast?

49.8 F here in Titusville as we speak!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Man... I never thought October and November would be so cold around here. If it's this cold now I'm really dreading what’s in store for this winter. It didn't even break 60 here today. This is not supposed to happen until at least late December. It's gonna be cold all week! I'm beginning to think the only place warm enough for me in the continental US is SE Florida. If these fronts are getting us into the lower 40s here in Pinellas now, then later this winter when the water temp is around 60 I don't see how we won't see a freeze each time they come through.

Pinellas Park, Florida

Got down to 35 last night...no freeze yet. Nice over the next 7-10 days in the forecast. Upper 70s/low 80s forecasted. Warmer here than in most of FL as most of the cold is surging east of here.

Mon

Nov 17 Sunny 75°/44° 10 %

Tue

Nov 18 Sunny 77°/47° 10 %

Wed

Nov 19 Sunny 78°/53° 10 %

Thu

Nov 20 Partly Cloudy 81°/57° 20 %

Fri

Nov 21 Partly Cloudy 76°/53° 20 %

Sat

Nov 22 Partly Cloudy 73°/52° 20 %

Sun

Nov 23 Partly Cloudy 76°/49° 20 %

Mon

Nov 24 Showers 78°/51° 30 %

Tue

Nov 25 Showers 75°/53°

We should get to the high 40s tonite and go to the low 70s most of the week....we slowly cooling and my attitude is beginning to stink.

Already I miss the warm days working in the garden, planting new things and watching everything grow......I need to go south and had an endless summer...

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Man... I never thought October and November would be so cold around here. If it's this cold now I'm really dreading what’s in store for this winter. It didn't even break 60 here today. This is not supposed to happen until at least late December. It's gonna be cold all week! I'm beginning to think the only place warm enough for me in the continental US is SE Florida. If these fronts are getting us into the lower 40s here in Pinellas now, then later this winter when the water temp is around 60 I don't see how we won't see a freeze each time they come through.

Derekjp,

Really not that much different than last year. According to spockvr6 (Larry) statistics in Tarpon Springs,his low last November was on the 17th and it was

41.9 F almost to the date. We also had a little milder cold spell in October last year also,kinda like October this year.

I'm like the all the rest of you, seems colder earlier until you go back and look it up! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

We have had a really wet week here and the forecast is for another week of rain. We got hit with a couple of good storms yesterday. One monster supercell did a lot of damage to parts of the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

4img1427jk9.jpg

Here is an interesting news clip...

Youtube of Channel 7 storm damage

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Derekjp,

Really not that much different than last year. According to spockvr6 (Larry) statistics in Tarpon Springs,his low last November was on the 17th and it was

41.9 F almost to the date. We also had a little milder cold spell in October last year also,kinda like October this year.

I'm like the all the rest of you, seems colder earlier until you go back and look it up! :)

Thanks for the note of optimism. I was about ready to join the Surgeon & Ray winter depression support group! Hey Keith, are there any cheap thermometers that are accurate, even analog types? I'm getting utterly stupid readings - one thermom says 47 and the other says 56. In the same spot. Can't both be right :lol:

Gotta say this is not looking good - will we suddenly find ourselves back in Z9?!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

This strong a cold front in MID November does not bode well for December. I didn't drop below 50F here last year until AFTER I'd eaten a Thanksgiving turkey.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Man... I never thought October and November would be so cold around here. If it's this cold now I'm really dreading what's in store for this winter. It didn't even break 60 here today. This is not supposed to happen until at least late December. It's gonna be cold all week! I'm beginning to think the only place warm enough for me in the continental US is SE Florida. If these fronts are getting us into the lower 40s here in Pinellas now, then later this winter when the water temp is around 60 I don't see how we won't see a freeze each time they come through.

Derekjp,

I recorded 42.2F for the morning low on Nov.17,2007 and recorded a low this morning of 42.2 F .

We have had a really wet week here and the forecast is for another week of rain. We got hit with a couple of good storms yesterday. One monster supercell did a lot of damage to parts of the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Daryl

Did they get cyclonic wind, Daryl? I wonder why people lost their roof.. I guess houses in Brisbane and Gold Coast aren't made for cyclonic wind.... We would love to have a storm like that, without the hail, of course!!! That looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME (as Scott put it....lol). But then, we are crazy about storm!!

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

Did they get cyclonic wind, Daryl? I wonder why people lost their roof.. I guess houses in Brisbane and Gold Coast aren't made for cyclonic wind.... We would love to have a storm like that, without the hail, of course!!! That looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME (as Scott put it....lol). But then, we are crazy about storm!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari, strong winds up to 150km/h I believe. I saw a photo of an entire hillside with all trees stripped bare and half of them fallen over, so it must have been strong. I am not sure what the wind ratings are for suburban Brisbane houses. We have to meet W42 here, so not cyclone-proof but will hold up against a strong storm (hopefully!) :huh:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Man... I never thought October and November would be so cold around here. If it's this cold now I'm really dreading what's in store for this winter. It didn't even break 60 here today. This is not supposed to happen until at least late December. It's gonna be cold all week! I'm beginning to think the only place warm enough for me in the continental US is SE Florida. If these fronts are getting us into the lower 40s here in Pinellas now, then later this winter when the water temp is around 60 I don't see how we won't see a freeze each time they come through.

Derekjp,

I recorded 42.2F for the morning low on Nov.17,2007 and recorded a low this morning of 42.2 F .

42.1F for me on 11/17/07 and 45.1F for this morning (11/17/08). It was in the middle 50's until the wind did its usual, and disgusting, switch from the NW to the NE.

However, this year surely seems colder over a longer period than I recall in past years.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

If its any consolation, the long term averages for Oct/Nov are 84/68 and 78/61.

Of course, averages dont mean much when you are not feeling average temps :mrlooney:

Larry 

Brian-

As a quick test of accuracy, have you tried putting the sensor in an ice bath? This will tell you how far off the thermometer is at the freezing point.

Larry 

Larry,

The last time November was this cool was 1995. We then proceeded to drop to just above freezing in December, 28F the following January and 26F in February. Katie, bar the door. In case you are wondering, we will fail the warm November test by a mile this year.

Ray

Larry,

The last time November was this cool was 1995. We then proceeded to drop to just above freezing in December, 28F the following January and 26F in February. Katie, bar the door. In case you are wondering, we will fail the warm November test by a mile this year.

Ray

Where the h@ll is that new Freeze Pruf stuff available?!?!??!

I just checked my stats for Nov 2007 and the average temp was 66.2F. So far in Nov 2008, the average is 66.4F, but we are only halfway through the month :unsure:

Larry 

I have a Davis Pro weather station and at 8:45 I am recording 48.6 up here in N.W.Hillsbourgh. It takes it readings 6' off the ground in the open.

Same station Ive got Scotty :winkie:

These are fantastic units! I never get any glitch data, errors, etc like I used to sometime with the Oregon Scientific I had previously. Towards the end of that systens useful life (which was less than 2 years), it would be pouring rain, and the unit would say it was not even drizzling. Then, there wouldnt be a cloud in the sky, and the station would show rainfall.

Likewise with winds....theyd be howling and my station would show 6 mph breezes!

But, I have to say the temperature readings with it never failed. I used to compare them to a calibrated hand held unit I have at work and it was always within a few tenths of a degree.

Larry 

Fortunately, the rest of the month looks warm (above 50F) after Thursday morning. I hope I'm dead wrong but this feels like winter did when I was a kid.

It's definitely colder up here in spring hill this year than last year. In October, I logged 34F and this morning the same. Brooksville AP logged 29F both times!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Fortunately, the rest of the month looks warm (above 50F) after Thursday morning. I hope I'm dead wrong but this feels like winter did when I was a kid.

Thankfully, this feels nothing like winter did when I was a kid. but then again, I did live in Maine :winkie:

Larry 

For the sake of seeing how close these forecasters are after the fact, heres the 15 day forecast for 34689 from Accuweather as of this AM-----

Monday Nov 17 A full day of sunshineLow: 47 °FHigh: 67 °F

Tuesday, Nov 18 More Details Sunny, breezy and coolLow: 44 °FHigh: 65 °F

Wednesday, Nov 19 More Details Sunshine, but coolLow: 44 °FHigh: 62 °F

Thursday, Nov 20 More Details Plenty of sunshineLow: 53 °FHigh: 68 °F

Friday, Nov 21 More Details Mostly sunny and pleasantLow: 57 °FHigh: 72 °F

Saturday, Nov 22More Details Partly sunnyLow: 58 °FHigh: 75 °F

Sunday, Nov 23More Details Some sunshineLow: 57 °FHigh: 75 °F

Monday, Nov 24More Details Partly sunnyLow: 47 °FHigh: 71 °F

Tuesday, Nov 25More Details Sunny to partly cloudyLow: 48 °FHigh: 67 °F

Wednesday, Nov 26More Details Mostly sunnyLow: 49 °FHigh: 66 °F

Thursday, Nov 27More Details Times of clouds and sunLow: 52 °FHigh: 66 °F

Friday, Nov 28More Details CloudyLow: 54 °FHigh: 67 °F

Saturday, Nov 29More Details Mainly cloudyLow: 56 °FHigh: 69 °F

Sunday, Nov 30More Details Partial sunshine with a showerLow: 58 °FHigh: 70 °F

Monday, Dec 1More Details Times of clouds and sunLow: 58 °FHigh: 71 °F

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Same deal by weather.com-----Quite a bit colder for Tues night!

Today

Nov 17 Sunny 67°/48° 10 %

Tue

Nov 18 Sunny 69°/40° 0 %

Wed

Nov 19 Sunny 64°/42° 10 %

Thu

Nov 20 Sunny 71°/53° 10 %

Fri

Nov 21 Mostly Sunny 74°/50° 10 %

Sat

Nov 22 Partly Cloudy 75°/53° 10 %

Sun

Nov 23 Mostly Sunny 70°/54° 20 %

Mon

Nov 24 Sunny 76°/56° 20 %

Tue

Nov 25 Sunny 75°/56° 20 %

Wed

Nov 26 Mostly Sunny 76°/58° 10 %

Larry 

Get out the propane heaters if weatherunderground is correct----34F on Tuesday night!??!?!?

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

65° F | 43° F

18° C | 6° C

63° F | 34° F

17° C | 1° C

61° F | 43° F

16° C | 6° C

67° F | 52° F

19° C | 11° C

72° F | 54° F

22° C | 12° C

Clear Clear Clear Clear Clear

Larry 

Almost equally cold via NWS------

Today

Sunny

Hi 65°F Tonight

Mostly

Clear

Lo 46°F Tuesday

Sunny

Hi 63°F Tuesday

Night

Mostly

Clear

Lo 37°F Wednesday

Sunny

Hi 61°F Wednesday

Night

Mostly

Clear

Lo 45°F Thursday

Sunny

Hi 67°F Thursday

Night

Mostly

Clear

Lo 53°F Friday

Sunny

Hi 71°F

Larry 

Even here in Ft. Lauderdale, I logged at low of 57F at 5:45am on Monday morning.

My lowest low, ever, at my house was in January of 2004 I think at 38F.

Hilo, Hawaii is looking better every day!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

looking back at records :

11/17/07 – Recorded low of 32.8 , airport had 26

11/17/08 - recorded 36.4 , airport logged 33

looks like winter is right on time

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

There are 2 constant things that rev the engines of this sub forum,year in and year out! :winkie::lol:

WINTER, and to a much lesser extent tropical cyclones!

I must admit I don't pay alot of attention to the weather plant wise,except durning these times! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

The cold front definately swept the keys... I was in the Islamorada chain over the weekend with nothing but a hammock and a couple fishin' rods... It got cold in the middle of the night sleepin' between two coconut trees on the windy side of the island. I ended up in the truck before the night was over.

Mine bottomed out at 41.0 and was probably still dropping when I left this AM. Airport official low was 45. Guess I should have moved farther north and farther inland?!?!!?!

My biggest coconut is already looking pretty miserable from our OCTOBER cold, and I already had some tiny spots on an adonidia and some carpentarias.

Ray, this feels like winter when I was a kid too, and I grew up in St. Louis!

Derek, I am thinking the same thing. I knew what the stats were before moving here, but I never expected it to feel so cold. Galveston very rarely hit 40 and I was usually at home sleeping when it did, whereas now I am doing a 5.5-mile bikeride to work during the time when temps always bottom out (7am) so it really sinks in. And if a Nov. cold front can keep it in the forties and maybe thirties for a week straight, well, where is this fast warming-up phenomenon that is supposed to happen?

Larry, I may just try your calibration trick. I'm not confident that the sensor is waterproof, even though it is meant for outside, so I'll stick it in a ziplock bag first.

West Palm Beach Airport recorded 56F.The weather is great over here Surge!Look's like we got Highs in the mid 70's with lows in the mid-50's all week long.California dreamin!It doesn't get any better than that.We should enjoy every second.

The vision of poor old Bill down there at Mile Marker 88 freezing in a hammock between two coconuts.It truly is enough to make a grown man cry.I even saw Jimmy Buffet,Darren and Cameron on the sideline up in G'ville/South Carolina game all wearing real windbreakers!

My wife and some friends(one on this Board) are all tearfully heading down to another couples place in Key Largo this weekend to go Permit fishing.We will be bringing thermal underwear,large overcoats and mittens.We intend to avoid the looming snow drifts at all costs!

What you look for is what is looking

Surgeon, yet another central Floridian going down a rabbit hole for the winter! :lol:

Larry, I bet buying back those heaters this time of year ,will cost you more than what you sold them for? :lol:

Bubba, just hold that BIG silver sided permit up in the air, let the sun reflect off it's shiny flanks, and you will be able to take off all those winter clothes! :winkie::lol:

44.1F for the low last night in Titusville! Supposed to get down around 40F tomorrow night? :rage:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD