IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

October 2008 Weather Thread

_Keith

Today i reached too 22C/71.6F the low for tonight will be 13C/55.4F... they are telling about a indian summer... with the high tempetures for the time of year and all the colors from the tree's...

Robbin

Southwest

We're full swing into the worst part of the rainy season here on the pacific coast of Costa Rica. In the past 18 hours, we have had over 11.5 inches of rain in this area. Normally in October alone we receive between 35-45 inches of rain. Last week it was unusually sunny all day and it only rained in the evenings or during the night... I knew that wouldn't last very long!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Warm days, some rain and showers here and there, she's looking good for the prime growing season which is just about upon us here.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

31C today then a humid change late morning. Min's have come right up. We had 18C lastnight. For the next week, we go from mid to low twenties up to low thirties, with the odd patch of rain and cloud to ease us into summer. Palms are starting to rocket away again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still warm here, and still dry as a bone.

I gave up and started watering today. Also moved all of the seedlings out into full sun.

I have less than a month to figure out what to do about a greenhouse. Hurricane ate the last one. Hmmmm.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

We're full swing into the worst part of the rainy season here on the pacific coast of Costa Rica. In the past 18 hours, we have had over 11.5 inches of rain in this area. Normally in October alone we receive between 35-45 inches of rain. Last week it was unusually sunny all day and it only rained in the evenings or during the night... I knew that wouldn't last very long!

..... and it's still raining! Since about noon on Sunday we have received over 18 inches (457mm) of rain. This is the time of year that I get a little stir-crazy.

..... and it's still raining! Since about noon on Sunday we have received over 18 inches (457mm) of rain. This is the time of year that I get a little stir-crazy.

Jeff, thats a crazy amount of rain. Its nice to see the sun shine everynow and then. when TS Fay dumped rain all weekend here. (between 1 - 2 feet depedning exactly where you were) by sunday I was over it and wanted to get out in the yard.

weather has been near perfect here. sunny highs around 85 and lows around 60-65 degrees. figs trees about 75% bare(dropped leaves) but the larger decidious tree havnt even started turning yet.(this time last year i was already raking leaves)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Luke, it seems there are disturbances in the Caribbean and in the Pacific and we are right in the middle of them.

Those temps you are having are just perfect for me. I used to love this time of year in FL.

The real dry season is here.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I gave up and started watering today. Also moved all of the seedlings out into full sun.

I have less than a month to figure out what to do about a greenhouse. Hurricane ate the last one. Hmmmm.

I have created a good temporary substitute, Keith. I buy 4-6 8' tree stakes(2", pressure treated), some overhead netting, 4 mil plastic sheeting, some duct tape, all at the home depot, or other suitable outdoor stoor. then drive the stakes into the ground(6 stakes gets you a 6' by 10' by 6' tall structure), and staple the netting and plastic into the stakes using duct tape to reinforce the stapled sites(prevents tearing). Then I have, wa la, for less than $100 a green/shadehouse. I like to do this so I can plant my larger seedlings early and allow the roots to develop, unmolested by moderate winds(hurricanes will of course destroy it, I expect), hot sun and cold. When my seedlings get large I just take it down and leave them to the elements. I also put all my potted palms in there for the winter. It may last 2 years, then need plastic replacement(sun destroys it eventually). Its not a permanent structure and I dont want it to be. I have little foxtails and royals, livistona decipiens in the ground and some dypsis in pots in the "el cheapo" shadehouse. My two roystonea borinquenas in the ground are just leaving the potted one in the dust, growth wise(almost 2' overall height separation between them in 5 months). In your scenario it seems that the structure should be taken down when the big windy season is imminent. The stakes and netting are reusable, so its kinda cheap.

Weather here is of course drier than a bone(dewpoints of 20 F or so), temps are rising again after the socal cold blast hit. We will see low 90's for the next 3-4 days with lows of 60-65, and sprinkler rain is in the forecast. The growing season is back on again.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have created a good temporary substitute, Keith. I buy 4-6 8' tree stakes(2", pressure treated), some overhead netting, 4 mil plastic sheeting, some duct tape, all at the home depot, or other suitable outdoor stoor. then drive the stakes into the ground(6 stakes gets you a 6' by 10' by 6' tall structure), and staple the netting and plastic into the stakes using duct tape to reinforce the stapled sites(prevents tearing). Then I have, wa la, for less than $100 a green/shadehouse. I like to do this so I can plant my larger seedlings early and allow the roots to develop, unmolested by moderate winds(hurricanes will of course destroy it, I expect), hot sun and cold. When my seedlings get large I just take it down and leave them to the elements. I also put all my potted palms in there for the winter. It may last 2 years, then need plastic replacement(sun destroys it eventually). Its not a permanent structure and I dont want it to be. I have little foxtails and royals, livistona decipiens in the ground and some dypsis in pots in the "el cheapo" shadehouse. My two roystonea borinquenas in the ground are just leaving the potted one in the dust, growth wise(almost 2' overall height separation between them in 5 months). In your scenario it seems that the structure should be taken down when the big windy season is imminent. The stakes and netting are reusable, so its kinda cheap.

Weather here is of course drier than a bone(dewpoints of 20 F or so), temps are rising again after the socal cold blast hit. We will see low 90's for the next 3-4 days with lows of 60-65, and sprinkler rain is in the forecast. The growing season is back on again.

That is a great idea. All I have this year are seedlings. I have been thinking "bigger" but in reality, what you describe might do just fine. Thanks for opening up my horizons.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is a great idea. All I have this year are seedlings. I have been thinking "bigger" but in reality, what you describe might do just fine. Thanks for opening up my horizons.

I use a "flap" for the door, and on particularly cold periods, I trop out my "oil filled" portable radiative heater to keep the temps from dipping too much, works like a charm if its closed up(not drafty). If I want I can get +30F above ambient with the radiative heater in there: warning dont use a convective heater(forced hot air is very dry, it will kill 'em) and water very carefully, or remove the heater when you do. With the heat, it can extend the growing season as well.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

I saved all of the corrugated polycarbonate panels from my greenhouse, so I may modify your design to use those. But you definitely gave me some good ideas.

And by the way, still no d@mned rain. Got half inch wide cracks in the clay/loam soils again. I have the hose out their trickling and will just leave it all night. Here come the big water bills again.

We are about the get smashed!!! Don't I love storms in the build-up. We are right above 'U' at Humpty Doo.

post-512-1224236198_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We are about the get smashed!!! Don't I love storms in the build-up. We are right above 'U' at Humpty Doo.

post-512-1224236198_thumb.jpg

Hi Ari, that is a decent storm system! I see it has just passed you...how did it go?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Decent weather coming our way too. Warm to hot and moist. Some humidity. Yaeeeee. :)

Precis: Fine, partly cloudy.

City: Min 10 Max 26

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 24

UV Alert: 8:30 am to 3:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Fine day, late thundery shower. Min 15 Max 32

Monday Shower or two. Min 17 Max 31

Tuesday Shower or two. Min 15 Max 25

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 13 Max 24

Thursday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 26

Friday Shower or two. Min 14 Max 25

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cool weekend coming to So. Louisiana. Low tomorrow night will be 54 and 51 degrees and our first days not to reach the 80s with 79 and 77 degrees predicted highs for the weekend.

I might have to go get into something physical just to celebrate.

Hi Ari, that is a decent storm system! I see it has just passed you...how did it go?

Daryl

Not as good I was expected. Usually with that kind of storm we got at least 30mm, but last it night it did 'let's going around Ari's place' act and I only got around 12mm. Can't complain, it was nice. I bet town has around 50mm or so. Hopefully the next one won't behave the same way.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I finally awoke this morning to sunny blue skies :) After 4.5 days of cloudy rainy weather, it finally cleared. We ended up with 18.5 inches (470 mm) of rain bewtween Sunday and Thursday. It's so muddy right now that I can't even make it out to my shadehouse. I need a pair of rubber boots but I can't find a pair in my size. It's almost impossible to find a size 12 around here in any shoe.

I finally awoke this morning to sunny blue skies :) After 4.5 days of cloudy rainy weather, it finally cleared. We ended up with 18.5 inches (470 mm) of rain bewtween Sunday and Thursday. It's so muddy right now that I can't even make it out to my shadehouse. I need a pair of rubber boots but I can't find a pair in my size. It's almost impossible to find a size 12 around here in any shoe.

Wow! 470 mm off rain that's unbelievble... if we get that here... then everything must be flooded. Too compromise... i get this year from January too June only 380 mm of rain...

Robbin

Southwest

The weather just gets better and better. The next week is rain every day with high temps. Much higher temps than what is normal for Oct here. I love the humidity bit. There'll be some nice high dewpoints in there. For the last few nights the forecast mins have been much lower than reality. If that keeps going there may be a couple of 20C mins in there as well :)

Forecast for Sunday

A fine and mostly sunny day. E/SE winds, fresh and gusty early in the morning. A

southerly seabreeze near the coast for a period in the afternoon.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 15 Max 32

Mandurah: Min 15 Max 27

UV Alert: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Monday Possible shower or thunderstorm. Min 17 Max 33

Tuesday Chance of a shower. Min 18 Max 28

Wednesday Cloudy, shower or two. Min 15 Max 26

Thursday Shower or two. Min 15 Max 25

Friday Few showers. Min 14 Max 23

Saturday Few showers, easing. Min 13 Max 21

regards

Tyrone

We're in the midst of our first shot of cool air: high today should only be in the upper 60's with a low in the mid-40's. I really hate to see summer passing on. All the orchids are in the greenhouse and a few trees are starting to show a little fall color. We're too far south for a spectacular autumn - most trees just sort of turn rust colored and drop their leaves, but the occasional one will be pretty nice. The best trees for color here are Japanese Maple, Chinese Persimmon, and Turkey Oak. Palm wise, everything is still growing and there are lots of seed ripening. I've got to start collecting and mailing stuff to people.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

We reached 34C yesterday. It was stinkin hot. After a minimum of 21.3C we're going for a max of 34C today. The clouds have already rolled in for some afternoon thunder activity. Not bad for October I must say.

Best regards

Tyrone

Fall temps are great here. Lows in the mid to upper 50s and highs hovering around 80 with winds around 10mph. Could not ask for better environmental conditions except for some rain. If it getting dangerously dry here now.

This picture shows the cracks in the clay at around 1/2" and my finger easily fitting in. Make it really hard to water the new plantings as the water just runs off through the cracks. You can leave a water hose trickling in the same place for 3 hours and not make a puddle.

post-1207-1224460791_thumb.jpg

Im cold.....low forcasted of 40 degrees tonight. It was 54 this morning and I had to run the heat for about 15 mintues so my blood could warm and I could go work on the greenhouse.

dry and great weather as Keith talks about here also. I be doing deep irrigation on my palms. getting ready for winter with the greenhouse and getting a new load of mulch.

*keith that clay is unique looking, here we have the red 'georgia clay' the south side of town actually is sandy and flat.

Luke

63" rain annually

Sunday morning I recorded 61F (16F) in the garden. That is perfect weather.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Sunday morning I recorded 61F (16F) in the garden. That is perfect weather.

Ray-

I was shocked to see my station logged 57F Sunday AM, and a daytime high of only 78F. The dewpoints stayed in the 50's all day as well.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It is hard to believe the difference a few miles makes.Was in New Orleans on Saturday and they had a low of 59F with bright sunshine and it was beautiful.Got back down here on Sunday and the best we could do was a High/Low of 83/72F.It is overcast and muggy,showing the front could not make it through here but a it is much better than 89/78F.

What you look for is what is looking

Sunday morning I recorded 61F (16F) in the garden.

Oh, good. I was going by the airport reading of 59F so I'm glad to know it hasn't gotten below 60 yet (in-line with the conversation we had Sunday about the temp differential). But even this morning it was so cold that I had to wear a long-sleeved shirt on my 5.5 mile bike ride to work, when a week ago I had to go extra slow so I would not be drenched in sweat on arrival!

Larry, don't get discouraged. Its just a crapshoot, and it won't even matter until we're talking 34 vs 32 or something like that. Even then you will still probably read high. The Pritchardia never lies ;)

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Im cold.....low forcasted of 40 degrees tonight. It was 54 this morning and I had to run the heat for about 15 mintues so my blood could warm and I could go work on the greenhouse.

dry and great weather as Keith talks about here also. I be doing deep irrigation on my palms. getting ready for winter with the greenhouse and getting a new load of mulch.

*keith that clay is unique looking, here we have the red 'georgia clay' the south side of town actually is sandy and flat.

Our soils are called Silty/Clay/Loam.

It is incredibley fertile, when we have good rainfall, which we do normally. This is a very dry year, which is not normal.

My land is 1 acre wide and 3 acres deep towards Bayou Teche. From the front to the back is 17 feet slope to the back with a dip in the middle.

The front acre is tough land, compacted and not well internally drained. It challenges me continuously.

The middle acre is a good internal drainage and good surface drainage. Easy growing for everything. This is my front yard and where I have my formal gardens.

The rear acre is extremely well drained on sufrace and internally with more red clay closer to the bayou banks. Again, this is great land, my back yard, but I am trying to leave the natural vista and view to the bayou.

More than you wanted to know, I am sure.

Keith

Our soils are called Silty/Clay/Loam.

It is incredibley fertile, when we have good rainfall, which we do normally. This is a very dry year, which is not normal.

My land is 1 acre wide and 3 acres deep towards Bayou Teche. From the front to the back is 17 feet slope to the back with a dip in the middle.

The front acre is tough land, compacted and not well internally drained. It challenges me continuously.

The middle acre is a good internal drainage and good surface drainage. Easy growing for everything. This is my front yard and where I have my formal gardens.

The rear acre is extremely well drained on sufrace and internally with more red clay closer to the bayou banks. Again, this is great land, my back yard, but I am trying to leave the natural vista and view to the bayou.

More than you wanted to know, I am sure.

Keith

Nice description Keith, sounds like a fine piece of land. I think I heard "born on the bayou" in my mind, and smelled some cajun cooking(one of my favorites). Yep, some of the best american music, IMO, and best home cooking anywhere. Since I am 51, I have the rock classics, and I love the old style jazz from down there.

Tom Blank

today we have 39 C - 101 F in tijuana very low humiditey condition of santa ana winds not very strong but hot day. i take these fotos today with new digital camera i buy yesterday panasonic lumix lz10 10 megapixel. very good camera !

i wish more people post fotos of the weather and intetesting places in there areas ! this is view of cerro colorado, red hill, in east part of tijuana. santa ana winds here can be very bad 160 km hour - 100 miles hour.

post-285-1224731755_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

mexican flag in santa ana wind you need much wind to move this big flag. today we have winds of 80 km hour 50 miles hour in east part of city for the after noon not very strong for santa ana winds but very bad for most palms except the washingtonia and phoenix. i water today the cocos nucifera and howea forsteriana and belmoreana all do not like this weather and they say we have this for 1 more week. some times is so dry 3-5% humidetey plants die with watering them for the winds take out the water more faster from the plants than roots can get from soil.

post-285-1224731865_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

It has been starting to rain more and more and it sort of looks like we are sliding into the rainy season. This year it really never got real hot in the dry season. Which is fine.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We had wave after wave of thunderstorms last night. We got 20mm of rain. After a min of 13C, the sun has come out to warm the ground. No watering this weekend.

Best regards

Tyrone

My watering hoses have been trickling for 1 straight week. We have had 2 cool fronts come through, wihch normally have a good bit of rain in front of them, but both together have dropped less than 1/10th of an inch, aka, nothing.

If you deduct all but a couple inches of our hurricane rainfall, the rest of which just ran off anyway, we are probably close to 20" below normal for the year. Already 2" below normal for this normally dry month.

We are trying hard to get our first cool front through down here.They say our lows may make it into the upper 50's early next week.Will believe it when it happens.Muggy and wind blowing tropical.

What you look for is what is looking

everyday is slipping away faster here. daytime highs get lower. we recieved about 3" of rain the last 2 days. today was nice and sunny but only reached about 75 degrees, lows forcast into the mid 40's - which is cold for this time of year.

sales on plants are in full swing at the big box stores.

Luke

63" rain annually

everyday is slipping away faster here. daytime highs get lower. we recieved about 3" of rain the last 2 days. today was nice and sunny but only reached about 75 degrees, lows forcast into the mid 40's - which is cold for this time of year.

sales on plants are in full swing at the big box stores.

It does seem to be getting cold early this year - down in St. Pete, we're forecast to drop into the upper 40's, but only on Tuesday night. Hard to believe I'll have to bring in the cyrtie in October. I wonder what this winter will bring.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Holy cr@p Batman,

I haven't been paying attention to the weather. It is supposed to get down to 37 degrees tomorrow night. I thought I had another 3 or 4 weeks before worrying about those kinds of temperatures.