IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

OCTOBER THREAD.. How's it going....

BobbyinNY

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 20 2006,10:21)

It's interesting how far south it's reaching too....

MinT2.png

MinT3.png

MinT4.png

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The cold front just went through my area yesterday.  Last night was the coldest night so far, by far.  It was around 49F when I got up this morning at my house.  Warming up fast though under sunny skies, supposed to rebound to around 80F today.

Tropical Update

Things seem so boring here near the equator.  The only reason to own a jacket or coat is if you go somewhere else.  That is besides a rain jacket if you happen to be out on a river in an open boat in the rain.  The difference between the longest day of the year and the shortest one is not more than 30 minutes.  And, the only time you need a blanket to sleep is if get the A/C cranked down so cold that a sheet will not do.  And, the most extreme cold front to come through is the tail end of an Antarctic front that drops the temperature momentarily into the 60 F range.  I tried to find the HDD information, but it is not available.  At any rate I am sure it is 0.  At least occaisionally you get a glimpse of the northern hemisphere on a stary night when the Big Dipper appears on the northern horizon.  That brings back memories of cool nights in Montana.  But, then when you look the other way the Southern Cross brings one back to reality.  

There is no night I know like one sitting on the deck of a boat enveloped by the humid tropical air, tied up on a white sand beach in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the immensity of the rain forest ,looking up into a cloudless, moonless sky where the stars reach out and grab you.    And, to top that off sipping  on a cool drink while listening to the howler monkeys scream in the distance.  Especially when in the company of my favorite palm hunting companion, the woman in my life.

I guess that is sort of romantic as well, but then romance is part of what people view the tropics as.

Todays cool spell.

Oct.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Now Orlando is only forcasted to get to the upper 50s (58 and 59 to be exact..from Channel 13)...if that. It's been like August here!!!

Tropical Update

Things seem so boring here near the equator.  The only reason to own a jacket or coat is if you go somewhere else.  That is besides a rain jacket if you happen to be out on a river in an open boat in the rain.  The difference between the longest day of the year and the shortest one is not more than 30 minutes.  And, the only time you need a blanket to sleep is if get the A/C cranked down so cold that a sheet will not do.  And, the most extreme cold front to come through is the tail end of an Antarctic front that drops the temperature momentarily into the 60 F range.  I tried to find the HDD information, but it is not available.  At any rate I am sure it is 0.  At least occaisionally you get a glimpse of the northern hemisphere on a stary night when the Big Dipper appears on the northern horizon.  That brings back memories of cool nights in Montana.  But, then when you look the other way the Southern Cross brings one back to reality.  

There is no night I know like one sitting on the deck of a boat enveloped by the humid tropical air, tied up on a white sand beach in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the immensity of the rain forest ,looking up into a cloudless, moonless sky where the stars reach out and grab you.    And, to top that off sipping  on a cool drink while listening to the howler monkeys scream in the distance.  Especially when in the company of my favorite palm hunting companion, the woman in my life.

I guess that is sort of romantic as well, but then romance is part of what people view the tropics as.

Don,

you're killing me... I'm so jealous... I wanna be there...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

If you ever want to come down I would love to show you around.  Just 5 hours south of Miami.  And, we now have direct connecting service via Panama from JFK on Copa airlines for I think around 600 dollars.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(SoLando @ Oct. 20 2006,15:32)

Now Orlando is only forcasted to get to the upper 50s (58 and 59 to be exact..from Channel 13)...if that. It's been like August here!!!

Excuse me, but wasn't there supposed to be a cool-down this weekend?   Cuz I was out hauling patio stones (not supposed to lift anything, let alone those) and it felt hot.  Still feels hot.

Just checked the NOAA site, and the temps given for Lealman were:

Tonight's low 74,

Sat    - HOT (90), overnight low 73;  

Sun   - HOT (90), overnight low 72;

Mon   - not so bad (81), overnight low 61;

Tues  - finally we get a break (75), overnight low 61;

Wed -  high 80, overnight low 67;

Thurs - high 83, overnight low 73;

Fri -     here we go again, 85.....

And that's as far as it goes - but thinking we can safely surmise that next weekend will be HOT.  Wish I could take Tuesday off and work in my yard  :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(amazondk @ Oct. 20 2006,13:15)

The difference between the longest day of the year and the shortest one is not more than 30 minutes.

How absolutely wonderful - how I wish that were the case here.  The temps in winter may be comfortable, but the shorter days are less than pleasant.

There is no night I know like one sitting on the deck of a boat enveloped by the humid tropical air, tied up on a white sand beach in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the immensity of the rain forest ,looking up into a cloudless, moonless sky where the stars reach out and grab you.    And, to top that off sipping  on a cool drink while listening to the howler monkeys scream in the distance.  Especially when in the company of my favorite palm hunting companion

I re-read this several times, the image you evoke is so moving.  What a beautiful experience - and to share it with someone you love, truly amazing.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 20 2006,20:11)

Excuse me, but wasn't there supposed to be a cool-down this weekend?   Cuz I was out hauling patio stones (not supposed to lift anything, let alone those) and it felt hot.  Still feels hot.

I was just out walking around the yard and it is certainly rather warm and sticky out there for this time of year.  

However, the overall averages for the month still seem to be running about normal.

FreeWX monthly summary for the current month

There are 19 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 October to 19 October.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +90.7 °F at 14:20:00 on 02 October

Minimum temperature: +61 °F at 07:22:00 on 15 October

Maximum humidity: 98 % at 08:28:00 on 19 October

Minimum humidity: 23 % at 18:08:00 on 14 October

Maximum dew point: +78.8 °F at 09:06:00 on 19 October

Minimum dew point: +37.4 °F at 19:06:00 on 14 October

Minimum wind chill: +57.2 °F at 08:14:00 on 15 October

Maximum heat index: +98.1 °F at 14:41:00 on 18 October

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.12 In.Hg at 11:53:00 on 03 October

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.74 In.Hg at 18:36:00 on 12 October

Maximum wind gust: 19.5 MPH from 332° at 11:04:00 on 12 October

Maximum indoor temperature: +80.2 °F at 19:20:00 on 15 October

Minimum indoor temperature: +72.7 °F at 03:16:00 on 10 October

Averages

Average temperature: +76.4 °F

Average maximum temperature: +85.4 °F

Average minimum temperature: +67.4 °F

Average humidity: 66 %

Average maximum humidity: 91 %

Average minimum humidity: 42 %

Average dew point: +62.6 °F

Average maximum dew point: +69.6 °F

Average minimum dew point: +55.6 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +65.3 °F

Average maximum heat index: +88.9 °F

Average barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.7 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.5 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +73.8 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

12th October - (0.87 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 1

Maximum rainfall rate: 7.17 In./hour at 11:32:00 on 12 October

Total rainfall for October: 0.87 In.

Days Since Rain: 8

Last rainfall amount: 0.87 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 13.7 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 206°

Larry 

Daily data thus far this month---

DATE MONTH MAX TEMPERATURE MIN TEMPERATURE

1 October 86.7 65.1

2 October 90.7 67.8

3 October 89.2 70.9

4 October 89.1 70.3

5 October 89.6 68.5

6 October 86 67.5

7 October 86.9 68

8 October 82.2 66.9

9 October 77.9 61.9

10 October 80.6 61.9

11 October 83.7 64.6

12 October 85.1 69.8

13 October 85.1 65.7

14 October 80.8 65.8

15 October 83.5 61

16 October 85.3 67.1

17 October 84.6 70.9

18 October 88 73.4

19 October 87.4 73.4

20 October   87.4 73

21 October  91.2F 75.2

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 20 2006,21:31)

I was just out walking around the yard and it is certainly rather warm and sticky out there for this time of year.  

However, the overall averages for the month still seem to be running about normal.

19 October 87.4 73.4

20 October   87.4 73

So we're right about where we're supposed to be (she said, fanning herself).

Our long hot season sure is good for the palms though!  My fine-leaf looks very happy and has put on some nice growth.  The spindle has had a growth spurt and the glauca is fuller than ever.  

Have you seen Dave Witt's study of using ferts late into the year, to help marginal palms fight freezing temps?  I may try that this year, in case we have a cold snap.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 20 2006,22:35)

So we're right about where we're supposed to be (she said, fanning herself).

Official high/low averages for October from the Southeast Regional Climate Center---

Ocala - 83.9F / 61.0F

Tampa AP  - 84.1F / 67.6F

Albert Whitted AP  - 83.0F / 70.0F

Tarpon Springs - 84.9F / 65.0F

Orlando - 83.7F / 66.0F

Venice - 85.3F / 65.7F

Ft. Myers - 86.3F / 68.6F

Naples - 86.6F / 67.8F

Melbourne - 83.3F / 67.4F

Ft. Lauderdale AP - 85.9F / 71.6F

Miami AP - 85.4F / 72.2F

Key West AP - 84.7F / 75.7F

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 20 2006,22:35)

Have you seen Dave Witt's study of using ferts late into the year, to help marginal palms fight freezing temps?  I may try that this year, in case we have a cold snap.

Yes...Ive read his report and am doing the same....year round fertilizing!

Larry 

Don

Thanks for the data/reports you are providing  :P

To get the full perspective of the equator is mind blowing  :P

Larry

Thank you bro, for providing those great graphics.   :D   Is there a way to identify the cities?

Floridians are still in summer   :cool:

Warm in Cali also :

San Francisco : 83/57

Los Angeles : 90/63

San Diego : 84/59

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sunny,

To me the moments like I described above are what makes life great.  I was raised in a place with a great presence of nature, Montana, and Amazonia although quite differente has a similar presence.  In late July of 2005 my then 16 year old son who lives in Fort Lauderdale was with me on an adventure out in the country here.  We were returning to a small town in the eastern part of the state in an 18 foot aluminum boat with an outboard after chasing around the rivers and lakes of the area trying to catch a few fish and checking out the land.  The sunset maybe 40 minutes from town.  It was one of those beautiful sunsets the area frequently has and I believe the moon was at about one quarter.  He has spent plenty of time here out in the bush and was no stranger to the place.  What impressed him so much at that moment was the beauty of the night sky, the crisp stars and the moon hanging in the sky.  While looking up he made the comment, you know in Florida I never see the stars.   In South Florida that is quite true, with all the city lights the night sky is more of an orange glow than anything else.  With no city lights, no pollution the night sky is always a show.  And, when you put it on a stage called Amazonia it is impossible to describe unless one is here.

This picture was taken shortly before the moment above.  It is looking forward away from the sunset on the Uriara River, one of thousands of rivers of this size in the Amazon Basin.  This river connects the Madeira River flowing from Bolivia to the main stream of the Amazon some 100 kms ahead.  

ParanaUriaraendofday.jpg

This sunset was a few weeks earlier on a stream near the river above.  We spent the night in a river boat there.  The area is untouched primary forest, a beautiful area.  Although not the same sunset, it is an example of what I described above. It was another one of those great nights with the howler monkeys.  There are really no biting bugs at night due to the acidity of the water in this river (a dark water river) so it quite pleasant.

SunsetPalo.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, did you take those pictures?  They are as beautiful as your description of the tropics.  Just amazing.

You are so right about the night sky.  Here, where I live, years ago we could sit out by our front door at night and watch falling stars and meteor showers.  Then growth caught up with our little neighborhood - and a huge streetlight was put right in my front yard.

The sunset photo you took is even more beautiful than our sunsets here, although we are occasionally treated to a display of gold and vermillion - all too fleeting, and my attempts to catch it on film were not very successful.

St. Pete

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 20 2006,22:51)

Since it's clearly working for you up in Tarpon, I'm going to try it here!   What fert are you using - I love those Fine-leafs so much, I don't want to risk losing them.  

Is there a way I can find out what our all-time lows have been - in my own neighborhood, rather than the St. Pete/Clearwater airport?  Or I guess I could use that for a reference, altho we may be a bit warmer, not sure.

(Btw - didja see my Cordyline photo in Tropical Plants other than palms - it's fuzzy but gives an indication of its height :) )

St. Pete

Sunny,

Thanks.  Yes I took the pictures.  Adobe photoshop helps bring the life in digital pictures.  I need to get a website going showing the area as I have accumulated quite a few pictures over the past few years.   The place where I took the sunset picture is really incredible, the trees on the banks go up to 180 feet tall.  The understory of the forest is full of palms of different sorts as well.  I am glad you enjoy the perspective from down here in the heart of amazonia.  It is a special place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Oct. 21 2006,06:57)

Sunny,

To me the moments like I described above are what makes life great.  I was raised in a place with a great presence of nature, Montana, and Amazonia although quite differente has a similar presence.  In late July of 2005 my then 16 year old son who lives in Fort Lauderdale was with me on an adventure out in the country here.  We were returning to a small town in the eastern part of the state in an 18 foot aluminum boat with an outboard after chasing around the rivers and lakes of the area trying to catch a few fish and checking out the land.  The sunset maybe 40 minutes from town.  It was one of those beautiful sunsets the area frequently has and I believe the moon was at about one quarter.  He has spent plenty of time here out in the bush and was no stranger to the place.  What impressed him so much at that moment was the beauty of the night sky, the crisp stars and the moon hanging in the sky.  While looking up he made the comment, you know in Florida I never see the stars.   In South Florida that is quite true, with all the city lights the night sky is more of an orange glow than anything else.  With no city lights, no pollution the night sky is always a show.  And, when you put it on a stage called Amazonia it is impossible to describe unless one is here.

This picture was taken shortly before the moment above.  It is looking forward away from the sunset on the Uriara River, one of thousands of rivers of this size in the Amazon Basin.  This river connects the Madeira River flowing from Bolivia to the main stream of the Amazon some 100 kms ahead.  

ParanaUriaraendofday.jpg

This sunset was a few weeks earlier on a stream near the river above.  We spent the night in a river boat there.  The area is untouched primary forest, a beautiful area.  Although not the same sunset, it is an example of what I described above. It was another one of those great nights with the howler monkeys.  There are really no biting bugs at night due to the acidity of the water in this river (a dark water river) so it quite pleasant.

SunsetPalo.jpg

:P  :P  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

We used to get nice sunsets and sunrises here, but they also seem to have gone, despite it only being a small town.  I can't remember the last time I saw a red sky.

Don, your pictures are amazing as always.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 21 2006,08:40)

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 20 2006,22:51)

Since it's clearly working for you up in Tarpon, I'm going to try it here!   What fert are you using - I love those Fine-leafs so much, I don't want to risk losing them.

I use whatever I can get that is cheapest and apply it often.  IMO, its all the same stuff more or less and in sandy soils the rain washes it down quickly anyway.

Larry 

(SoLando @ Oct. 20 2006,15:32)

Note the NWS maps above....these are linked to the NWS site, so they update as the forecasts changes.  At the current time, it looks like Orlando and much of Tampa Bay will be in the 40's.

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 21 2006,08:40)

Is there a way I can find out what our all-time lows have been - in my own neighborhood, rather than the St. Pete/Clearwater airport?  Or I guess I could use that for a reference, altho we may be a bit warmer, not sure.

Short of the major stations, youd be hard pressed.

What you might try is searching weatherundeground.com for amateur stations in your area.  If you get lucky you might find one with data online for a few years.  But, you wont find all time lows.

So, short of watching your own yard, youll have to more or less just watch the nearest station and see how you compare.  It wont take long till you see a general pattern develop.

Larry 

(amazondk @ Oct. 21 2006,08:54)

Sunny,

Thanks.  Yes I took the pictures.  Adobe photoshop helps bring the life in digital pictures.  I need to get a website going showing the area as I have accumulated quite a few pictures over the past few years.   The place where I took the sunset picture is really incredible, the trees on the banks go up to 180 feet tall.  The understory of the forest is full of palms of different sorts as well.  I am glad you enjoy the perspective from down here in the heart of amazonia.  It is a special place.

dk

Don, thanks for posting those and I'll look forward to seeing more and reading about it.  It has to be very special, so unspoiled.

What a wonderful place.

St. Pete

Larry, thanks for mentioning Wx-Underground.  As many times as I hit that site during Tropical Season, I never thought to check the amateur stations.

I heard the nastiest story down at the nursery the other day - a report that, some time during the '80's, it actually went down to 17F in St. Pete!!  Whaaa?  Now I was here then, and I think I'd remember something as wicked as that - if it's true, what are we doing planting the stuff that we are :D

I checked out the Lealman forecast from 7:53pm - Tuesday's temp has slipped a bit.  Now it's calling for a high of 72F and a low of 57F.  brrr.  And 21 mph gusts - gotta make sure stuff is staked up tomorrow.  Rest of the week recovers quickly with a high of 86F on Fri, and 83 on Sat.  Very nice.

But right now - it's still hot :D

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 21 2006,20:44)

But right now - it's still hot :D

Yes...high of 91.2F in Larry's Jungle today.

Larry 

I heard the nastiest story down at the nursery the other day - a report that, some time during the '80's, it actually went down to 17F in St. Pete!!  Whaaa?  Now I was here then, and I think I'd remember something as wicked as that -

Im think that's probably not all that far off.  My local nursery here in Tarpon (in a cold spot) told me they logged 13F as their all time low (they have been in the same location since the 1950's).

This same nursery logged 24F last Feb 14th!  

if it's true, what are we doing planting the stuff that we are :D

Over the long haul, all except those in the prime areas (and we all know where those areas are....its easy to see them visually by the fact that Royals are more popular than Queens) will probably get wiped.  But, who knows when that next event will come....maybe this winter or maybe not in our lifetimes.

Larry 

Larry, thanks for mentioning Wx-Underground.  As many times as I hit that site during Tropical Season, I never thought to check the amateur stations.

Sunny-

I think this station on weatherunderground is the closest one to you.

Its not in Lealman (I assume you are close to US19 or I275 and 54th Ave North?), but is decently close as it is near 62nd Ave North and neat I275.  

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....LST.PE7

Larry 

That's almost identical to the Oct averages for me so far.

Avg Hi 85.9 Avg lo 64.7

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 21 2006,22:06)

Sunny-

I think this station on weatherunderground is the closest one to you.

Its not in Lealman (I assume you are close to US19 or I275 and 54th Ave North?), but is decently close as it is near 62nd Ave North and neat I275.  

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....LST.PE7

Why thank you!  Yes, that station isn't too far away, a bit downhill from here, but very close.  I'm up by 54th & 19, a kind of troubled neighborhood -- but very very palmy  :cool:

There are some nice old royals and coconuts, and it's terrific seeing the foxies and bottles - didja see Ruskin's "Hawaiian pics" thread in Discussing Palms forum?   I swear, if I buy a bottle palm, it will be that Ruskins guy's fault :D

Also, found in the news - a new report on global warming that predicts decreasing numbers of freezes world-wide (they're apparently seeing evidence already) - this takes place over a long duration - but maybe we'll be spared any more temps in the teens.

24F on 2/14?  Wow!  We barely got down to 35 with no frost - were very lucky we dodged the bullet.

St. Pete

(syersj @ Oct. 22 2006,00:35)

That's almost identical to the Oct averages for me so far.

Avg Hi 85.9 Avg lo 64.7

Updated as of today...having a weather station is cool :D

FreeWX monthly summary for the current month

There are 21 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 October to 21 October.

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +91.2 °F at 14:22:00 on 21 October

Minimum temperature: +61 °F at 07:22:00 on 15 October

Maximum humidity: 98 % at 08:23:00 on 20 October

Minimum humidity: 23 % at 18:08:00 on 14 October

Maximum dew point: +78.8 °F at 09:06:00 on 19 October

Minimum dew point: +37.4 °F at 19:06:00 on 14 October

Minimum wind chill: +57.2 °F at 08:14:00 on 15 October

Maximum heat index: +98.1 °F at 14:41:00 on 18 October

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.12 In.Hg at 11:53:00 on 03 October

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.74 In.Hg at 02:52:00 on 20 October

Maximum wind gust: 19.5 MPH from 332° at 11:04:00 on 12 October

Maximum indoor temperature: +80.2 °F at 19:20:00 on 15 October

Minimum indoor temperature: +72.7 °F at 03:16:00 on 10 October

Averages

Average temperature: +76.9 °F

Average maximum temperature: +85.8 °F

Average minimum temperature: +68 °F

Average humidity: 67 %

Average maximum humidity: 92 %

Average minimum humidity: 42 %

Average dew point: +63.3 °F

Average maximum dew point: +70.2 °F

Average minimum dew point: +56.4 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +66 °F

Average maximum heat index: +89.7 °F

Average barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.7 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.5 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +73.8 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

12th October - (0.87 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 1

Maximum rainfall rate: 7.17 In./hour at 11:32:00 on 12 October

Total rainfall for October:0.87In.

Days Since Rain: 10

Last rainfall amount: 0.87In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 13.6 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 211°

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 22 2006,07:50)

24F on 2/14?  Wow!  We barely got down to 35 with no frost - were very lucky we dodged the bullet.

I told you they were in a cold pocket!

It was 34F at my house a few miles further west on the same morning.  I did not believe there could be that large of a difference, but they showed me their recording mercury thermometers and sure enough....24F.

Larry 

(syersj @ Oct. 20 2006,11:37)

The cold front just went through my area yesterday.  Last night was the coldest night so far, by far.  It was around 49F when I got up this morning at my house.  

From the looks of the colored maps above, it looks like well be solidly in the 40's all the way down to lake Okeechobee!

Right now the NWS/Weather.com/Weatherunderground all have my area forecast for 49-50F.  It hasnt dropped below 61F prior to this this season, so I guess Ma Nature will try and skip the 50's altogether.

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Oct. 22 2006,07:50)

didja see Ruskin's "Hawaiian pics" thread in Discussing Palms forum?   I swear, if I buy a bottle palm, it will be that Ruskins guy's fault :D

I think well be lucky if he ever posts from Ruskin again  :D

Larry 

It still to mild for the time of year ...

Tmorrow the expect a lot of wind, but only in the evening some rain. 19C/66.2F and in the night 16C/60.8 F

Last night it don't go lower then 12.3C/54.1F, some plants are starting to flower they flowering normaly December or January. The trees still green here, only some species get some yellow leafes. Normally at this time of year a lot of tree's lose the leafes.

We have got in 2005 exactly the same, it was also very mild to November.

Southwest

Yikes....check out the maps at the top of this page....forecasts going down down down :(

Larry 

Check out the gradients between the lows on land and over the Gulf in the Panhandle!

MinT2.png

MinT3.png

MinT4.png

Larry