IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

OCTOBER THREAD.. How's it going....

BobbyinNY

So far, so good here.... Forecast for mid-high 70'sf day, mid 50's - low 60's  night and very little rain.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

First day of October was like the last day of September: Hot and dry. Days in the upper 80's to maybe 90 nights in the mid 60's to low 70's depending on the wind.  :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

As mentioned in the September thread we have three nights this week forecast to go down to 6°C/43°F, that's the coldest night since August (the August one was a bit of an oddity).  Until now night time lows have been well above average, but we've had lots of wind and rain, almost constant rain for the past few days.  Daytime temperatures are also forecast to fall below average throughout this week, but temperatures are due to pick up a little the following week.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Oct 1 was a beautiful day here.  The morning started quite cool (65.1F).  The air was fairly dry (dewpoints pretty much stayed in the 60's all day with only a few little blips to 70F) and the high registered 86.7F.

I believe the forecast calls for warmer more humid air to roll in starting tomorrow.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Mostly cloudy with an onshore flow of subtropical moisture today though any rainfall was widely scattered; a few lightning strikes reported off the coast around Santa Barbara.  Quite cool today [Hi: 79F Lo: 64F] and these temps & mostly cloudy conditions should continue thru much of the week.

Normally October is quite dry/somewhat windy and warm [Ave Max: 84 / Ave Min: 63] with less than 0.50 of rain for the month!  :(

Good news is the month-old "Day" fire [that started on Labor Day] is finally contained due to lower winds & higher humidity  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Oct. 02 2006,00:29)

Mostly cloudy with an onshore flow of subtropical moisture today though any rainfall was widely scattered; a few lightning strikes reported off the coast around Santa Barbara.  Quite cool today [Hi: 79F Lo: 64F] and these temps & mostly cloudy conditions should continue thru much of the week.

Normally October is quite dry/somewhat windy and warm [Ave Max: 84 / Ave Min: 63] with less than 0.50 of rain for the month!  :(

Good news is the month-old "Day" fire [that started on Labor Day] is finally contained due to lower winds & higher humidity  :D

Perfect palm planting and yard work weather . . . .

Which I took aggressive advantage of . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oct 1 was a nice day here too. Clear sky and the afternoon temp maxed out at 536.67°R.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Oct 1 data for me:

Hi 92F, Lo 71F, fairly humid with fog in morning.

Temps expected in 90-94F range with lows 65-70F next 7 days.  No cold fronts expected.

Avg Hi for Oct 1 is 86F.  Starting to cool off some.  At least upper 90s seem to be long gone.

I am in the center of the country (Kansas) and it was  moderate in September and startin' hot in October.  We set a record high yesterday at 94, and close to one today in the mid 90's.   Our average October high is 69 , average low 47.    Our first frost is late in October.  Still have all my palms (about 50 of them) outside enjoying the sunshine and heat.    I start to cart them in when temperatures hit the mid 40's.  Now that's fun.  :cool:

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

It was rather cool. We got to a high of 69 on oct 1st. Today we may hit 67. Next few days it will be in the mid 60's and the lows will be in the upper 40's to low 50's with rain/tstorms. They say it will warm up but not a fun start to oct.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(Palmy @ Oct. 02 2006,17:35)

It was rather cool. We got to a high of 69 on oct 1st. Today we may hit 67. Next few days it will be in the mid 60's and the lows will be in the upper 40's to low 50's with rain/tstorms. They say it will warm up but not a fun start to oct.

Those are my average highs for early-mid December.

Maybe I'm generalizing a bit here, but outside of the central valley, I don't think I would like to live in Cal.  Probably great for palms, but not enough yearly heat.  I love heat so either TX or FL would suit me better.  We get something like 120 90F days a year.

Oct. 2 and i'm ALREADY out shopping for a small heater for my 'lil germination / seedling greenhouse...i've got palms that WILL die as soon as it gets below 40F out there...here's a pic of the side of my shade area last winter (early march to be exact...keep in mind that i live in North San Diego County):

realcold.jpg

BRRRRRRR!!!! not looking forward to that again anytime soon!

Todays been the same as its been for a week...  and to think its "cooling off"

not that im complaining though!

low of 80

high of 89

75% humidity!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Lord knows I have nothing to base this on, but I got the feeling this morning that this winter, we are going to get a smackdown :(

Oddly, my husband suspects the same thing.  Hm.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Palmy @ Oct. 02 2006,17:35)

Zachary J

Did it rain in the Bay Area today?  It's unusual but I'm hoping the entire state picks up some moisture this week.  

I did record 0.05 for the first rain of the season but most areas were totally dry in SoCal.  Temps: 84F & 68F ; just about normal for early Oct.  

There is a potent low moving down the coastline this week.  Cold upper air and instability over warm land could produce some impressive thunderstorms thru-out California.   :P

Jim

We get something like 120 90F days a year.

You'd love Sacramento/Fresno/Bakersfield but could you handle Phoenix/Palm Springs with weeks on end above 120F?  :o

Coastal California has a shorter growing season but honestly I prefer 85-95F days & wilt during LA muggy spells.  :angry:

Weather nerd friends of mine get stimulated by extremes of heat or cold, but I worry about damage to sensitive trees.  

Seems I do better especially with potted plants that are in at least part shade.  Over-story protects against heat and cold.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Tampa has been dry and pretty warm.  Dry sucks.  We had 12 inches of rain In September and I had lots o watering to do today.

Sunny,

Thank you for the forecast you gave to me,

thank you for warning it might freeze,

But, Sunny, while it may be true,

This ain't the time for bad weather news,

Sunny, your words may true but I think winter gloves are not for you.

So sorry,

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(syersj @ Oct. 02 2006,16:35)

Kent,

Are you expirimenting with any palms in ground.  I know you guys get pretty cold in winter

Jim - I have a number of cold hardy palms in the ground, in pots.  This will be my second year with them.   I will dig them up and put them in a small hoop style house to overwinter in the comfort of a controlled enviroment one more year before I trurn them loose to survive on their own.  Although I will provide individual protection to those that need it on certain cold nights.

I have all the usual cold hardy suspects, i.e. t. fortunei, t. takil, several types of palmetto and  Rhap hystrix.  So far so good.

Kent in Kansas.

540.27°R / 27°C - very warm for this part of the year. A cold/wet front approaching from the west though...

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

(happ @ Oct. 03 2006,00:05)

Jim

We get something like 120 90F days a year.

You'd love Sacramento/Fresno/Bakersfield but could you handle Phoenix/Palm Springs with weeks on end above 120F?  :o

Coastal California has a shorter growing season but honestly I prefer 85-95F days & wilt during LA muggy spells.  :angry:

Weather nerd friends of mine get stimulated by extremes of heat or cold, but I worry about damage to sensitive trees.  

Seems I do better especially with potted plants that are in at least part shade.  Over-story protects against heat and cold.

Yeah, I think our climate is most similiar to Fresno/Bakersfield if I had to compare it to anywhere in Cal.  TONS of heat in summer with an occasional frost/freeze in winter (usually not severe).  I think we get more rain though, so it's more humid here.

(oppalm @ Oct. 03 2006,09:09)

(syersj @ Oct. 02 2006,16:35)

Kent,

Are you expirimenting with any palms in ground.  I know you guys get pretty cold in winter

Jim - I have a number of cold hardy palms in the ground, in pots.  This will be my second year with them.   I will dig them up and put them in a small hoop style house to overwinter in the comfort of a controlled enviroment one more year before I trurn them loose to survive on their own.  Although I will provide individual protection to those that need it on certain cold nights.

I have all the usual cold hardy suspects, i.e. t. fortunei, t. takil, several types of palmetto and  Rhap hystrix.  So far so good.

Keep us posted how they do in the ground.  What part of Kansas are you in.  There's some folks growing palms in Oklahoma.  I think one guy is expirimenting with palmettos in OKC and they are doing good from what I have seen on various websites.

This week is supposed to be unusually warm for this time of year.  Highs in the low and mid 80's F, with lows in the upper 50's.  Last Friday morning it dipped into the 40's for the 1st time, but other than that it's been a little warmer than normal fall so far.

Jam,

I'm just curious why you include Rankine degrees?  That seems interesting to me.  It's not something I often see.  Actually I haven't seen it since college.  We use the English units normally, but Kelvin is actually more common for the Absolute Zero based temp scales even in the US as far as I know.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Steve, I was waiting for someone to ask that.

Why do Americans use Fahrenheit degrees while the whole world uses Celsius? I used Rankine to make you feel like I feel each time I come across a °F reference. Using Celsius or Kelvin would be too easy :)

BTW, how has your Trachycarpus fortunei been doing this year? Have you played with the idea of trying other palm species?

Cheers, Jan

(jam99 @ Oct. 03 2006,11:06)

I used Rankine to make you feel like I feel each time I come across a °F reference.

I personally like the use of absolute temperature units!

Larry 

(jam99 @ Oct. 03 2006,11:06)

Why do Americans use Fahrenheit degrees while the whole world uses Celsius? I used Rankine to make you feel like I feel each time I come across a °F reference. Using Celsius or Kelvin would be too easy :)

BTW, how has your Trachycarpus fortunei been doing this year? Have you played with the idea of trying other palm species?

Cheers, Jan

We're very slow and set in our ways.  They tried converting us over, but it never took hold.  If you told most people in the US it was 30C outside, they wouldn't know whether to wear a jacket or shorts.

Why do Americans use Fahrenheit degrees while the whole world uses Celsius? I used Rankine to make you feel like I feel each time I come across a °F reference. Using Celsius or Kelvin would be too easy

Jan,

Good move with the Rankine units.  We are definitely slow to adopt anything metric here in the US.  I can't see it happening anytime soon.  At work I use metric units fairly often.  I guess we make more work for ourselves in that regard.  I'm usually the one in charge of converting any specs we get in metric over to english units or vice versa for international customers.  I expect our newscasters will report temps in Fahrenheit for many years to come over here unless there is some reason we MUST change.  In the same way we'll probably be buying milk and gas by the gallon, and liquor by the pint or fifth (a fifth is 1/5 gallons).  You can however by a 2-liter bottle of Coke!  But the most common sizes are 12oz and 20 oz.

My T. Fortunei is doing great.  It was kind of a dry summer, but it looks really green and healthy.  I'm just hoping we don't get any record lows this winter.  I have thought about getting another outdoor palm.  Probably either another Trachy or a Sabal Palmetto.  There's a store nearby that has decent deals on T. Fortunei, so that's the most likely candidate.  Palms are pretty expensive here, so I hate to gamble too much with the zones.  The T. Fortunei is a good confidence builder.  I'm also thinking about maybe getting some new inside palms soon too.  I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter that has made it difficult to have inside plants, because she enjoys digging, but she's starting to get better now.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

(Steve @ Oct. 03 2006,15:08)

I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter that has made it difficult to have inside plants, because she enjoys digging, but she's starting to get better now.

Steve, tell me about it. I have a 1 yo and a 3 1/2 yo and the boys insist on becoming gardeners from very early age.

Brrrrr, it was 3°C/37°F this morning, the forecast was 6°C/43°F and that would have been bad enough.  As far as I can tell this was the coldest place in the UK and Europe.

Metric vs imperial is odd in the UK.  The older generations who grew up with imperial use both scales to emphasize temperatures.  When it is hot they say, it's over 90 outside, but when it's cold they say, it's going to be -6 tonight.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi all

Its been raining for 48 hours, straight. This after a week or more of temps in the 30's (86-90 ish f). Max was 21c yesterday, today 20c. Lets hope we see the sun soon!

Cheers

Dennis

PS I use my cellphones converter and I know what all you 'Murikans are talking about.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Brrrrr, it was 3°C/37°F this morning, the forecast was 6°C/43°F and that would have been bad enough.  As far as I can tell this was the coldest place in the UK and Europe.

Yeah, I see it's getting to be real nipple weather over there... You're like 5-10f colder than I am, but it's only a matter of another month when we catch up and get even lower :( ..... not looking forward to that.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Pretty good actually, just a nice feel about the place, no need to look at temps etc, you can just breath in the serenity of it all.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We just got about 1/2 inch of rain tonight. Its still comming down lightly. I hear theres some snow in the high country. I cant wait till ski season. That 1/2 of an inch came with some cool weather too. 50F right now. Wow tropicalb, I feel for you. Hope this winter is a warm one.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 04 2006,16:36)

Yeah, I see it's getting to be real nipple weather over there... You're like 5-10f colder than I am, but it's only a matter of another month when we catch up and get even lower :( ..... not looking forward to that.

It's odd weather Bobby.  For the most part night time temperatures are well above average, but there's just the occasional hiccup.  Tonight, for example, our forecast low is 14°C/57°F.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

It's supposed to be a warm one here today.  87F (31C) for the predicted high, and 63F (17C) for the low.  Might be our last taste of summer!  The rest of the week is supposed to be more normal.  Highs around 75F (24C) and lows in the low to mid 50's F (10-13C).

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

High's here for the weekend..... Mid -high 60's to around 70f and lows in the low 50's..... Summer's definitely over for us.....  The weird part is how many people I talk to that are actually happy to see this weather - they glow about putting jackets on and drinking hot chocolate..... What a bunch of wackos...lol..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 06 2006,09:32)

The weird part is how many people I talk to that are actually happy to see this weather - they glow about putting jackets on and drinking hot chocolate..... What a bunch of wackos...lol..

Bobby - I'm with you,  it is amazing the number of people that are happy that summer is over and fall is here.  The problem with fall is that means winter is the next season.  Yeah I love to freeze my buttocks off and can't wait to start scraping ice and/or snow off my windshield, or walking like an old lady so I don't fall on the ice, etc.   Any idea how emabarrasing it is to get your tongue stuck to your car door?  Not good.  Bring on spring.

Kent in Kansas.

Haha, I hate putting on a jacket..I'd rather wear a tank top and shorts ANY time.

It seriously felt below zero this morning..I went out to the bus and was shivering so badly. Though, it was really 67....Sure felt below zero to me!

(SoLando @ Oct. 06 2006,14:58)

It seriously felt below zero this morning..I went out to the bus and was shivering so badly. Though, it was really 67....Sure felt below zero to me!

Yeah...67.5F at my house this AM and with the low humidity, it felt cool.  

I wouldnt say I was shivering though as I am enjoying this!  The palms have slowed down, but who cares.....they grew too much this year already!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 06 2006,15:01)

(SoLando @ Oct. 06 2006,14:58)

Yeah...67.5F at my house this AM and with the low humidity, it felt cool.  

I wouldnt say I was shivering though as I am enjoying this!  The palms have slowed down, but who cares.....they grew too much this year already!

How about 55.9?  I was too lazy to close the windows but it was downright chilly this morning.  Only reached 74 for the coolest day of the year since May 21.  These readings are cool for LA and illustrate how the mid-latitudes are more likely to experience cold air advection than Miami.   :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23