IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Sun is Coming Home

Jeff Nugent

It's a Take-Over-Bid the southern hemisphere is hijacking the sun and there is nothing you Northerners can do about it (for about six months, at least).

The sun is heading back to the south LET US REJOICE!

Praised be ala-lu-la.                                                                    

cheers 'n' beers - jeff :D

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

Don't be so sure....

When I finish my "Evil Precession Machine" it will be

summer in the N.H.  for as long as I like... HA HAHAHAHAHA

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

Hears Jim Morrison singing "Waiting for the Sun".

All is good.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

She may be on her return trip to the south but it's a long journey and we've got the best of her for a few months. I sure love 15 hours of daylight! And so do my palms!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Ahh, the sun still loves us. Come home Sun. I'll put the kettle on for ya.  :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Remember, the real winter often trails the winter solstice by a couple of months.  On guard!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I'm working on a machine right now that puts a barrier wall in front of Venezuela and when the sun hits it, it acts like a sprinkler that bounces back the other way.... Don't put anything past a guy who can grow palms in New York..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Jeff Nugent @ Jun. 25 2006,10:26)

It's a Take-Over-Bid the southern hemisphere is hijacking the sun and there is nothing you Northerners can do about it (for about six months, at least).

The sun is heading back to the south LET US REJOICE!

Praised be ala-lu-la.                                                                    

cheers 'n' beers - jeff :D

Oohhhh noooo...so soon again?

Let them Northerners keep it a little longer...this lovely winter is sooo short...my palms are not ready for 2 more summers in a row yet... (sun coming back and forth...ooohhh...)  :(

Watch it Gileno, you'll have a word named after you in the palapa post. Sun stealer you.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey guys we here are in the N. hemisphere but it remains pretty much summer all year long so sometimes I wonder which hemisphere I'm really in!       ???  LOL   Maybe can get a little boring at times weatherwise but my palms love it and I can always fly away for a change only wanting to return again before long.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Today, though well after the solstice, is a hot [expletive] to [expletive] all.

I prefer to think of this as kind of a cosmic kind of badminton, with the sun as the shuttlecock (birdie).  It's in our court for now, but coming back tot he south.  

Ahhhh.  The heat's just starting.  A few more months of summer days, auburn afternoons with cool sea breezes, liquids in the belly, soul, ah.

It ususally stays hot here in the Big Orgy till well into October, even November.  Ashes, ashes, they all fall down . .. .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You're right of course Dave.  You still have plenty of warmth left but it will increasingly be heat stored in the Earth.  (Praised be our Mother)!

I guess my point is that the sun is about 3 steps ahead of us and ground temperatures are always lagging.

Jeff Nugent, SW W.Australia 34deg.S

Mediterranean climate -

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters. Rarely a frost.

200m elevation, 75km from Indian Ocean and 60km from Southern Ocean.

permacultureplants.net

• 4 weeks later...

The days are getting noticably longer already.

YES!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

And ours, noticibly shorter...  In fact I remeber our summer solstice this year.  I am in a new home and was there last summer but not necessarily in the gardening mode I am now.  I remember thinking "I don't remember the sun hitting my yard from that angle. I thought I had shade there all summer".  Even though it was just a few days, the plants I had there burned badly, so I will be making accomodations for such next year...  Cold, Hot, Water, Fertlilzer, what kind of soil, drainage - Gardening is starting to piss me off, there's just so much to know, and quickly or you can make some VERY EXPENSIVE mistakes.

And Dave - the shuttlecock thing - not a good analogy... What happens when the shuttlecock (funny word) gets stuck in the racquet, you know, between the strings, when you swing at it too hard, you shake it and shake it and the stupid thing won't come unstuck.  What then, do we all burn up - or freeze?

Eric

Visalia, CA

Zone 9B

Hot Summers - Annual average 40+ days of 100+ degrees (no rain from April/May to October/November)

Freezes too - winter lows in high 20s

Oh yeah and Bad Air (inbetween cities with #1 and #2 ranked bad air in the nation - Fresno and Bakersfield)

WE NEED MORE TREES

(ericstevens73 @ Jul. 31 2006,13:14)

And Dave - the shuttlecock thing - not a good analogy... What happens when the shuttlecock (funny word) gets stuck in the racquet, you know, between the strings, when you swing at it too hard, you shake it and shake it and the stupid thing won't come unstuck.  What then, do we all burn up - or freeze?

Eric

You throw the racket and go home in a huff.

Tyrone

• 4 months later...

South, you had enough. Time to return our sun where it belongs! Starting tomorrow.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Ditto Frank.  The winter solstice is upon us.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Damn, I wanted to start this as a new thread tomorrow... oh well......

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Im so glad this day is upon us....

traditionally our worst winter time blowouts have been in the middle of december very near the solstice, almost to the home stretch!!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Im so glad this day is upon us....

traditionally our worst winter time blowouts have been in the middle of december very near the solstice, almost to the home stretch!!

Unfortunately, for us...most of the really nasty storms are in February - our worst month by far.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yes, alright then you can have it back. But we're having beautiful 20C mins and mid 30C max's.

I just thought I'd point that out.   :)

Tyrone

Actually "real" summer only starts now for us in the south and "real" winter for you guys in the north.

That's mean isn't it?

Tyrone

Yes!  Within a month it will be light out again when I go to work and when I come home.  I don't much enjoy these days when I spend just about all the daylight hours at work.  At least I get to see some sunshine on my rides to and from work.

It's better than when I lived up North though.  We got even less winter daylight up in Michigan.  I do miss the summer nights when it didn't get dark until about 10pm though.

I hope because winter has now officially arrived that this great weather we've been having doesn't change.  The outlook looks pretty good up until Christmas day.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We need someone from the equatorial region to tell us all to shut up.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Our sun rose today at 08:10 and set at 16:04.  I often think of this as the turning point, because although temperatures are lower in January and February, the biggest problem in my polytunnel is lack of light.  The next day that I really look forward to is March the 18th, when we have our first 12 hour day.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(epicure3 @ Dec. 21 2006,11:08)

We need someone from the equatorial region to tell us all to shut up.

Well,  I don´t want to censure anyone.  But, here at 3 degrees South Latitude it really makes no difference what the season is.  That is other than dry season or rainy season.  The difference in daylight from the longest day to the shortest day is not even 30 minutes so it is not really worth paying attention to.  Due to this daylight savings time is not used.  It was tried a few years ago and everyone was so confused it was dropped.   It is rainy season now, which is nice after so much heat in September and October.

Here is the current day length:

Length Of Visible Light:      13h 03m

Length of the day:            12h 18m

Tomorrow will be 0m 0s shorter.

Source - Weather Underground

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Our sun rose today at 08:10 and set at 16:04

WOW, Corey..... that's alot of darkness... ours is rising at 7:15 and setting about 17:00 and I thought that was bad..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

At least I'm not in north Greenland having two hour days or worse, but it is a bit depressing, especially at the moment when it's cloudy all the time, so even when it is light, it's not very light.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

Yes, I definitely don't miss that. Growing up, I remember walking to school in December in the darkness, and walking home in the darkness. At this time of the year, sunrise around 9 a.m. and sunset around 3 p.m. And that's in southern Sweden. Forget it, if you get further north! My first wife was born, and grew up, in Tana, n. Norway, 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle. They have sunset in late Nov and the next sunrise is mid Jan....

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I grew up at about 48 degrees north lat.  It is not as far north as scandanavia, but far enough.  I gladly scarifice those long summer days for a dependable 12 hours of sun per day all year.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

definitely!! I grew up at around 56 degrees north, and my first wife at about 70 N. and the daylight during the summer is great, but the lack of daylight during the winter can be very depressing.

A few years ago we made a trip to Spitsbergen, a group of islands north of northern Norway: about 80 degrees North! They have NONSTOP daylight from mid April to mid August. But when we were there in June it was 37F the whole time... The ground never thaws out!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I would imagine that since the majority of human evolution took place in tropical latitudes that we have some sort of internal programing which makes us function better with constant day lengths.  It is a credit to the adaptablity of our species to be able to colonize and survive in such extreme climates, but we have inhabited them for such a short period that I doubt that our systems have fully adapted.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

grew up at about 48 degrees north lat.  It is not as far north as scandanavia, but far enough.  I gladly scarifice those long summer days for a dependable 12 hours of sun per day all year.  

I guess If I grew up that far north I'd agree with you Don, however, being in my area, I really do love the long Summer daylight hours we get and probably would get bored if it never changed.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Change is a relative thing.  During one part of the year the shadows are on one side of the house and the other part the other side.  During part of the year it rains a lot and the other it doesn´t.  I never get bored of tropical nights where the air envelops you in an Earthy feeling.  With the intensity of our sunlight 12 hours is enough.  But, less would  also not be good.    I always enjoyed the summers in Montana, and the sunsets over the high plains looking out at the Rockies are incredible.  I enjoyed the winters too as I used to be a ski racer, at least tried to be one.  But, as I became tropicalized none of that is really very important anymore.   I find that here in the tropics the changes are subtle, but they are a great part of life.  In such a complex ecosystem there are always dynamics going on, one only has to tune into them.  For instance during part of the year the tree sloths disappear.  Who knows where they go, but you never see them.  And, since they move so slow it is strange they should go very far.  Then during other times you see them around frequently.  The forest has cylces where certain trees lose their leaves, flower, bear fruit, etc. The rivers rise and fall, up to 60 feet a year and much of life revolves around the envrionment they create.  In many respects you feel the changes in the year not only by the rain and sunlight (cloudy vs clear) amounts, but by the level of the water in the rivers.  In the early years of European colonization the Protugues called Amazonia the Inland Sea.  In many respects that is what it is.    Life in the tropics is not for everyone, and all parts of our world have great aspects to them.    I guess where ever one is if you are close to nature it is hard to get bored.  Here in the land where weather forecasts are sort of irrelevant and one day fades into the other and if you look up at the sky you know if it will rain or not.  It is interesting how once you get used to living here you can tell when it is going to rain just by the feel of the air.  I guess what I am trying to say that it really does not matter if the sun is going north or south, it is always warm.  But, that does not mean that things do not change.  Nature is composed of constant change.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg