• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring in the south/autumn in the north

Tyrone

3 inches (76mm) below normal rainfall for September thus far. On the flip side, my Agave have never looked better.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Topsy turvy spring weather here. 31C a couple of days ago, now a couple of cool days of only 24C and then back to 29C for the weekend...not too bad really! Palms are popping new leaves all over the place...always a good sign. Storms and showers forecast for the next week. Our dry months have not been dry this year.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Still waiting for some warm consistent weather here. Highs in the low twenties celcius. Tuesday and Wednesday are forecast to be 26C which will be nice.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Part of Manaus, including my house, got hit by a rare weather event for here. A thunderstorm which appeared quickly Friday afternoon dropped a fair amount of hail on the city. And, the winds blew down a few billboards and other things. I had no damage fortunately. Hail does appear around here, but it is quite rare.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Part of Manaus, including my house, got hit by a rare weather event for here. A thunderstorm which appeared quickly Friday afternoon dropped a fair amount of hail on the city. And, the winds blew down a few billboards and other things. I had no damage fortunately. Hail does appear around here, but it is quite rare.

dk

Hail. I hate the stuff. Did it damage your Euterpe's. I'd imagine that E precatoria would have almost no way to cope with heavy hail, unlike Howea for example.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Great autemm weather here...

17-19C for the day's with blue sky's and lots of sunshine for a whole week now... the only thing is the cool nights around the 4-6C because the nigths are also clear. if i look too the forecast the nextw eek will be the same as this week.. the forecast is also saying that i don't get any rain anymore this september and maybe the beginning of october... so maybe a dry start of the autemm.

Robbin

Southwest

Brisbane and SEQ is getting smashed as we speak. Hail, wind, the works... I hope everyone's garden is ok down there...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone,

There was not really a lot of hail. And, I did not notice any damage to the palm trees. The Euterpes that I have in my back yard in town are getting pretty big and they are fine. I was worried about the little Peruvian tomatoes that I have in a pot under the palm trees. They are ok as well. These tomatoes I am sure are heifloom types that grow in climates like ours and should do ok here. They are all wrinkled looking.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Brisbane and SEQ is getting smashed as we speak. Hail, wind, the works... I hope everyone's garden is ok down there...

Ari, we had a lot of storms this evening. Fortunately they were just west of the Gold Coast so we missed out on the bad stuff. I think Brisbane got the edge of one, but Ipswich got a direct hit from what I could see on the radar.

Here is a photo of one of the storms this afternoon just SW of us over the border...

20080920rwa.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Very cool looking storm there, Daryl. We are very jealous (not the hail though) here in Darwin. Just have to wait for gulfie to get the storm over the Anaburroo line. A couple of weeks, maybe... We do get a few scattered showers everywhere (but my place :angry: ).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very cool looking storm there, Daryl. We are very jealous (not the hail though) here in Darwin. Just have to wait for gulfie to get the storm over the Anaburroo line. A couple of weeks, maybe... We do get a few scattered showers everywhere (but my place :angry: ).

Ari, Looks like the Sunshine Coast just north of BNE is just about to get smashed by the storms. Clayton's little waterfalls will be pumping!

After a warm night of 14C the weather has turned to total rubbish. A cold front has swept in with cold winds and rain to 63kph and at 11.30am it's 10C which would have to be the coldest it's been this late in the day all year. Winter wasn't even this cold. To make matters worse, after being blasted with strong southerlies all day, a high will move over us tonight, clearing the skies, and dropping the temp to 3C!!!!!!!!. What have we done to deserve this rubbish. :badday::angry:

It's schizophrenic September over here. At least the Rhopies are OK with it.

Tyrone

To make you feel worse, Tyrone... Sydney has its warmest it has been this early in Spring for 110 years yesterday.

Don't worry Tyrone, the warmth will come and when it does, you will know it. Trust me, we are there... and sometimes I wish I still had the 'cold' weather.... :lol: .

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

We have more storms this afternoon. It is rumbling a lot here but looks like it will miss us again.

post-414-1221976859_thumb.png

post-414-1221977225_thumb.png

Edited by newcal

VERY COOL!!! I have never seen radar shows 'black' before.... It must be hail??? I hope it will MISS you... although, being in one would be an experience. Don't forget to put your 'new' birthday present under cover, would you??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

To make you feel worse, Tyrone... Sydney has its warmest it has been this early in Spring for 110 years yesterday.

Don't worry Tyrone, the warmth will come and when it does, you will know it. Trust me, we are there... and sometimes I wish I still had the 'cold' weather.... :lol: .

Hi Ari, Yes the east coast get's direct northerlies when the west coast gets direct southerlies. We're getting a cold polar air mass from about 55S at the moment. This is the coldest day in about 2 yrs, and I can't remember a September day this horrible. This is winter at it's worst for Perth. It barely crept up to 14C again by the afternoon, which was a tad less than the overnight minimum. To make matters worse tonight will clear and be cloudless and still, with very little wind, and they've dropped the forecast to 2C. That's much too close to frost territory, and is ridiculously cold for late September. There better be some quality weather around the corner to balance this rubbish out. :angry::rage:

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl,

That is a great picture.

Tyrone,

I was looking up at the sky from behind my house. And, sure enough it looked as if the sun was straight overhead. From now until the next equinox the sun belongs to those of us south of the equator. Well, it pretty much belongs to us on the equator all year long.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, thanks for reminding me that the sun is now moving into the southern hemisphere as we speak. Yeahhhh. :)

Last night the wind dropped out, the cloud flew away, and the blankets on the atmosphere went with them, and we dropped to a bone chilling 1C this morning. We spent 6 hrs below 4C, this late in September. I'm going to go and take the tarp off of one of my troubled bottles that wasn't doing too well this year. I thought I'd cover it and protect what foliage it had left. The other two bottles next to it have not had any real trouble at all, just this one. What won't kill it will only make it stronger. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Hey Tyrone - are you sure you dont live in Tasmania?......

no sorry, my mistake, we were a balmy 12 degrees last night (with hurricane force winds, mind you)!

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I'll never gloat again - the weather just turned dead southerly and temp. dropped about 10 degrees!

Better light the fire....

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

It looks like that cold front got you too. The night before the front was balmy, warm and still, good barbeque weather. The frogs were out singing. Then the rain and wind came and the temp plummeted. It was 19C today and sunny. Tomorrow is 24C, which is nice. Pity about the night temps being single digit. My coconut grew despite the 1C min. Admittedly it only went down to 5.5C where it is, but it grew a good cm or more overnight. It normally only grows a few mm a night, so I don't know what sped it up. Weird.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well it's warmed up again. It will cool down again over the next few days, but even though it will go down, it won't be as cool as it has been. The dips will start to come up in temp very quickly now we've passed the Spring equinox. The tropical north of West Oz is getting to almost 40C every day so if we get a northerly wind the temp rises dramatically. We had 24C yesterday which was nice, and after a 12C min we're going for 25C today. Rain tonight, so a warm moist night, then cooler for the next few days, then back to 26C early next week. Spring is finally here. :) I'm going outside to enjoy the warmth.

Tyrone

Well we got to nearly 26C and it's now blowing a gusty NW that is very strong. The dewpoints have risen to 16C, humidity around 60% and it's still around 24C. The large temperature differential between the air at the front of the front and behind the front must be driving these very strong winds. They're forecasting up to 50mm of rain overnight. It could get interesting.

Tyrone

Great stuff on Australia!Here we are finally transitioning towards what may be referred to as "South Florida Fall".This means Highs usually just under 90F and Lows finally under 80F on a regular basis.Walks in the late afternoon are not as hot and the clouds off the Stream get an interesting look.We will not see any really cooler weather most likely until December but you are happy for any relief from the high humidity and temperatures even if it is very small.You feel it and that is Fall in South Florida.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

I am thankful for any relief this year! I noticed the light the other day and it is different now. And the migratory birds are here - martins, buntings, and hummingbirds to name a few. And the days are shorter. And the mornings and late afternoons are finally bearable. In fact, this week I may even be able to open my doors and let some fresh air into the house. Yeah! I also noticed the sun is definitely in the southern sky now so fall is on the way.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Fall officailaly arrive in north florida past week /days. humidity broke and clear skys and nice weather.

85/65 roughly - . although may dip to around 59 tonight as cold front breezing through.

its bee a DRY month. been soaking the palms. the dogwoods and fig tre leaves are starting to turn and slowly drop also.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Well, we had a nice still warm evening lastnight with a minimum of 15C, and early this morning it started to gently rain and hasn't stopped. No wind, just rain. We've had close to 30mm and the cold front is virtually stalling on top of Perth. The palms have loved this. One of my D pembana's has just sprung open a new leaf. It hasn't really warmed up today though. It blipped up to 16.5C at one point but it's now back around 15C where it's been all night, with 95% humidity. The Rhopies, and Hedyscepes will be loving this. I'm looking forward to the 26C on Monday though.

Tyrone

After a cold August, September has been warmer than normal here, although I wasn't here for most of it. The hottest temp was 33c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

It is great that the Australians have become such good contributors to the weather threads. I remember when I lived in S. Florida exactly how it was when you noticed the seasons transition. It is subtle, but noticable. Here on the equator I have learned to appreaciate the subtle transitions as well. It is now in the driest part of the year. But, we have continued to have some pretty strong rains. Yesterday morning there was a heavy thunderstorm that came through town and most of the remainder of the day was overcast and cooler. I still have not seen any temperatures much over 35 C, so I believe this is also a cooler equatorial summer than normal.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

After 1,5 day some gray weather the sunny and dry autemm weather is returned... The forecast till Monday is 18-20C for the day, and 6-8C for the nights. Perfect for here...

Still around the 2 months too goo when the winter is started... NOOOO i don't want too... maybe i can pray for a australian winter? :D

Robbin

Southwest

After a perfect weekend of 30C , no clouds and no breeze, we had a warm one today followed by a cooler change. 35C / 95F really got things heated up.

Daryl

Heat wave ended yesterday...97F ....today should be around 85F with cooler temps and a chance for rain by the weekend. Hope no rain, will ruin the grape harvest in Napa County.

Stay dry, all.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

After a perfect weekend of 30C , no clouds and no breeze, we had a warm one today followed by a cooler change. 35C / 95F really got things heated up.

Daryl

I'm envious. The east coast is getting all the hot weather. Perth will be a tad cooler than Melbourne for a while, with moist ocean breezes, and the odd high pressure zone stretching over Perth then falling back into the Indian Ocean to repeat the process a few times. I hate it when the high's won't shift east. But at least we get some rain.

Tyrone

Relentless gusty southerly winds. Blimmin' freezing. :angry: It's barely hitting 20C. Tonight the winds drop out as a high passes over us and a forecast of 5C. Yuck. It's October for crying out loud!!!!!!!

I planted some C hookeri, and a Chatham Island Nikau today in deep shade. At least the Chatham Nikau will think it's summer. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Tuesday is tipped to be 30C, then 16C-31C on Wed with humidity and overnight rain to early morning rain on Thursday from a heat trough system . Yeaaaahhhhhhhh.

Best regards

Tyrone

Today we hit 30C. Tomorrow is meant to be 31C and humid. It's 11pm and still 22C here. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

The best day today... Finally heaven opened and gave us over 50mm of rain!!! Yippeee.... First lot came at 2am and then some more at 8pm. Can't complain!!! Everything smells so fresh... and temperature has dropped at least 10 deg. Hopefully I can safely say... THE WET IS HERE!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We reached 32C today early in the day after an 18C min, then the wind changed and humidity moved in. It's 18C at the moment and 90% RH. Quite balmy. There are fast low clouds rocketing in, and the moon is lighting them all up. There's not a breathe of wind at all. Beautiful weather.

A cooler 23C tomorrow, but back up to 33C early next week, and then a bit of rain again. The garden is responding very quickly to the changed conditions.

Best regards

Tyrone

After a 21.3 C minimum we had a 35.7C day today. Very hot. Now we're waiting for the thunderstorms which are expected early tomorrow morning and through tomorrow. It's been the hottest Perth Oct day in 29 years, and the hottest two day Oct event (yesterday nearly 34C) in 49 years. My reticulation is going flat out at the moment. The expected min is around 20C tonight, and it's still about 2 months until summer actually starts. It's slowly cooling down from now on, with rain every day for at least a week.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's stinking hot again and 34C. Didn't get the thunderstorms, but it's rain all week supposedly, and slowly cooling temps.

Tyrone