• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring in the south/autumn in the north

Tyrone

Well, as noone has done it yet, I thought I'd start another current weather thread.

For me today is going to be 24C, and blue skies. In the next couple of days there is a chance of showers, but maybe the cloud cover will up the night temps. The nights are taking a while to come back. 8.1C last night.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Tyronne. All I can say about August is I am sure glad as hell to see it go.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It got to 26.2C today. Some nice warmth. I actually started to sweat today. Spring is really here now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

High today for Dallas, TX was 77.3 °F / 25.2 °C which is unusually low for this time of year.

Wind gusts were 34.5mph / 55.5km/h.....made it very hard to run the last 2 nights.

I complained so much about our temps here being 5-10F below normal all winter, I'd be a hypocrite not to acknowledge that it's been 5-10F ABOVE normal all Summer. For an area known for lack of humidity, we've been feeling the monsoonal Baja stuff continuously.

I'm referring mainly to 2+ miles inland. Right along the coast it's been almost continual overcast along with humidity. Living a few miles inland rocks in the summer.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

After our dullest August in the data series from 1929, with an average of only 115.9 hours of sunshine for England, September has not really improved. It's currently raining heavily and windy with plenty more rain and clouds forecast for the next ten days. So far this "Summer" we have had one reasonably warm week at the end of July, even then it only reached 27.2°C/81°F maximum and rained a good few times. It wouldn't be so bad, but it's the second total absence of summer on the trot, which is a little disheartening.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Its been the driest Aug for many years . Only a little over 40 mm of rain all month , when the avg. is 130mm .

The next 2 months are traditionally the driest of the year with an avg. rainfall of 100mm per month .

Yearly rainfall to date is 3.151m .

Its been warming up , 28 today and a low of 18 ,, I can shuck the doona soon .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, your August rainfall on average is the same as Perth. I wish the temp was too. 18C and still a doona, what's that all about then???? People have air con down here with nights like that.

We had the driest August since '78 here.

I'm happy that not only did my Dwarf Malay grow through winter, it's taking off again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Anything under 20 deg needs a doona up here :mrlooney: . Man, I wish I have 3,150 mm this year.... I don't think we even break the 2000 mark. We are hoping for early wet this year (please... pretty please). I am really sick and tired of this dry weather... we need some rain BADLY!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here on the southern side of the equator we are now in the what is normally the driest and hottest month. So far it has rained a bit and the temperatures have been lower than normal. But, it is still hot. And, the sun is intense. I have come to a conclusion that the climate here is great, and there are no hurricanes or whatever you call them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, the sun would almost right on top of you now as we're not far from the spring equinox.

Best regards

Tyrone

Sorry, I think we've had everyone's rain this year. You are more than welcome to have it back, I'm quite happy to water manually.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Some isolated showers yesterday at the rural area. A little too much to the south to hit me, but it is a good sign!!! We had early dry this year, so we are hoping for early wet... (touch wood). Bring on the storm...

Hector won't be too far away from the look of it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Some isolated showers yesterday at the rural area. A little too much to the south to hit me, but it is a good sign!!! We had early dry this year, so we are hoping for early wet... (touch wood). Bring on the storm...

Hector won't be too far away from the look of it!!

Ari,

Did you get that dam built. Don't wait too late.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Dam is in.... just have to put bentonite down to seal it. We have to wait for the first rain to do that, otherwise it will just blow away...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, Who is Hector???

Nights are starting to warm up again now. Nothing below 8C for the rest of the week, mainly around 10,11C. Winter is getting further into the rear vision mirror now. Warm weather is getting closer. A bit like driving up to a mountain range. You see it from a distance but it takes a while to finally get there, but when you get there it's awesome. Come on summer.

Tyrone

Ari, I've bookmarked Hector. It looks like a great website. I've got to get me to Darwin one day. Maybe I'll just hop in the car tomorrow. I wish.

Best regards

Tyrone

Definitely spring here. 100mm of rain in the last week. Humidity is coming back...yay! And tonight, lots of thunderstorms and warmer temps. Getting smashed by a nice window rattler right now...lovely!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sounds like you've now got some quality spring weather Daryl. I'm envious. The BOM led us to believe that we'd get some warmer nights, but it's staying cold at night around the 5C zone. Much too cold. A high is just sitting to the west of us and letting itself bulge out over Perth, allowing cool southerlies and cold clear nights where the wind drops to nothing. Supposedly we are losing that high for a bit and some cloud and rain is forecast with nights around 11 or 12C forecast, but those high's can either get way to the south of us and let some tropical cut off lows get down to us, or just buzz off quickly during the day to the east of us. :angry:

Best regards

Tyrone

It is getting HOTTER here!!! Today was a hot one... but more humid (thank goodness). I turn on the ac in the afternoon now when I am not working :mrlooney: (very spoiled, I know...). But already you can see the difference in some plants. The heliconias start to have healthy new growth, and the trees are growing new foliage after looking so sparse for weeks. The build up is here....!!! They reckoned the end of the month, we might see some storm. I can't wait. We are still planting, trying to get the most of this wet season. If we get it as good as last year, the growth would be phenomenal.

Ratpacks, if you are coming and visit me next year, you wouldn't recognise the place...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Rain all day , prob. at least 25mm , and had some yesterday as well but only 5mm or so .

And it sure is warming up , packed the doona away . I decided to 'harden the flock up ' as 'Chopper' would say .

MIn temp is getting up to a much more tolerable level ,, 18-19 C

It's hot and dry. The summer dried up over the last few weeks on Florida's west central coast.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The mins have come up to around 13-14C now and there is much more humidity in the air. The New Caledonian stuff will be loving it, all mild and moist.

Tyrone

Well I'm thankful for small mercies. After a seemingly unending run of single digit mins the weather has now turned. We had a min of 15.2C last night. Winds have swung from persistent dry easterlies to moist westerlies. Thankyou maritime climate for returning, and high ocean temps as well.

regards

Tyrone

Last week was great! Loads of sunshine and high tempetures around the 25C/77F and higher.. last thursday i recorded almost 28C/82.4F... and nighttempetures from 15C/59F only friday was really bad with the whole day a rainy weathertype.

From know we will come in the northern winds but gives some nice weather for the autemm but only the nights will be a little cold because the clear sky's. Forecast for the whole week is around the 17-19C/62.2-66.2F when daylight is there, and 5-7C/41-44.6F in the nights. This morning i was checking the 2 weeks forecast and it looks like this trend will be good for the next 2 weeks. I hope that it will warm up some more before we going too the winter...

Albizzia lophanta has got lot of flowers that needs some heat too get open. :mrlooney:

Robbin

Southwest

Autumn came in with a gust today. We had winds over 80mph (130kph) today. I was at Kings Island, a local amusement park when the winds hit and when I came home I saw that I lost about 75% of my potted palm collection, which was out on my deck. Right now there are 700,000 homes in the area without power.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

As of this moment it is 81F and not a whiff of breeze. Over 90F today but cooler forecast for tomorrow. Low 50s tonite...

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Good storm inland today near Katherine... It won't make it to Darwin, but it is a good sign as it is only September. Hopefully soon.... I can taste it already!! Bring it on!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Some really good rainfalls for the first week of spring , would be great if some more come next week .

mins are really picking up now , soon I will not be tempted to drag the doona out ,, nearly gave in a few times last week :unsure:

Fall? Here? Is fall when that croton leaf turns a dull color then drops?

The real fall arrives only when we see the Canadians with black socks and sandals arrive. THAT means that winter is not far behind.

Actually, the weather here in South Florida is still high 90F, low about 82F everyday with a 30% chance of thundershowers. NICE!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Floridian summer ends after Halloween.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

In San Antonio, the unofficial end of summer: Nightly lows no longer stuck in the 70's.

Average Sept 16th: 90/69F

Actual Temps:

Sep 13th: 100/77 F

Sep 15th: 77/68 F

Sept 16 Forecast: 83/58 F

I repeat 58 degrees!!

Now that's fall!!!!! (Or winter by Florida standards)

Yippee!!!!

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

I stepped outside a minute ago here in Augusta, GA, USA and it was actually pleasant for the first time in about four months. The highs over the weekend were in the low 90's with high dew point and humidity. Tonight is supposed to go down to the low to mid 60's. I am a hot weather kind of guy, but this is a nice break. We could use some rain, though. We've missed any significant precip. from all the hurricanes.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

This dry sesason still is a little cooler than most. I have seen much in the way of temperatures above 35 C. And, there have been some good rainy days as well. As Tyrone mentioned above the sun is pretty much straight over head here now. The equinox is on September 21 so there are only a few days until it comes. I am 3 degrees south latitude so I am not really on the equator. But, a lot closer than most.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

AHHHH. In a few more days, the southern hemisphere will own the sun again. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha (evil laugh)

:) I'm not that mad really.

Tyrone

Yes.. we do own the sun already... It is 35deg and 52% humidity today... Bloody hot!! Home early today, sick kids... That is what happen in the build up...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi all

Weather upsidedown here....we have had 6 days in the 30 - 37c range already.....fried the Broms. :rage::rage::rage:

Temp hasnt been below 15c in the garen for the whole of the month.....what we need is rain and we need it quickly. Many palms and other tropicals are dying around town due to the hot, dry weather and zippo rain! I have been watering the whole of winter and I am still dragging the hose around the garden......If I hadnt watered I am sure my garden would look like many others around here....brown.

Hoping for rain :huh:

Dennis

post-35-1221726537_thumb.jpg

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South