IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gustav

tank

My son-in-law hopes to be ready for the storm. They are about 1.5 hours north of New Orleans.

before-the-storm-c.jpg

before-the-storm-a.jpg

before-the-storm-b.jpg

before-the-storm-d.jpg

All sides seem "covered.

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I was always wondering: ist it so much expensive to build homes in the US, made of concrete reinforced with steel?

I've never experinced a hurricane, just a big flood (we had in 1970, 1,7 meters /5.6 feet of floodwater in our home) & I couldn't even start to imagine living in a conventional wood-frame house maybe only as a weekend mountain cabin (I lived in Europe & here but only in cocrete).

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Steve, After the storm passes, you may want to plant a few palms around your son in laws house!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Steve, After the storm passes, you may want to plant a few palms around your son in laws house!

My daughter has a few in pots that Kathleen gave her. I think she woud have planted this year if she wasn't pregnant. I may fly there next summer and do it for her.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Just talked to my daughter. Winds not bad yet, same w/rain. But they have no power. With the house boarded up it's getting "stuffy" inside.

WInds here in Lafayette are ranging 40-60mph. Winds expected to peak be up to 85mph for next few hours as eye approaches.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

500,000 without power so far in South Louisiana. Many friends and family in Baton Rouge are reporting trees down, fences blown away, and no power.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think the worst is behind for Lafayette and points south to the Gulf of Mexico. I will not be able to leave the operations center till tomorrow morning at the earliest to go see how the house and yard faired. One of my neighbors is going to try to get back there this afternoon, so I might have an early appraisal.

Gustav is reportedly down to Cat 1 now.

Hanna is now firing up, and the forecast track is to skim the east Florida coast approx.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Gustav is reportedly down to Cat 1 now.

Hanna is now firing up, and the forecast track is to skim the east Florida coast approx.

regards

Tyrone

Yep, and we got Ike right behind Hanna. Fun times. But we made it.

In 2004, the long-lasting but modest Frances left my yard buried in debris, including a neighbor's trees (the Chamaedoreas and a heliconia beneath survived). Took five days to clean up, some 50 contractor-sized bags plus the tree. Jeanne, three weeks later, was more or less clean.

A colleague is moving to Lafayette soon. From what I can tell, the city should be in decent shape. Good. I'll have to ship him a palm.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hey Thibodeaux,

Hope y'all did ok. Here's my view of Gustav from the backyard this evening for you:

post-193-1220325324_thumb.jpg

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

So I take it that everything is alright???? I hope so. It's good to hear that you're OK Keith.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We seem to be OK. I am still in the data center. We are off of generator power and back on line power. More than half of the city of Lafayette never lost power. Things south of us, where I live were hit a little harder. Most power down there may be days coming back on. My neighbor said my house looked OK. My job requires that I spend these times in the data center keeping communications up and running, but I hope to make it home tomorrow to look in depth.

I that most of my seedlings in the shade house (a deck under a Live Oak) have gone the way of the wind, quite literally. I was able to bring in a few of the more special seedlings. I am a little anxious to see the newer palms, particularly the Livistona Saribus which don't like wind to start with and were already struggling with the earlier summer drought.

All in all I have high hopes. It may be a few days before I can get some pictures up, but they will come.

Glad to hear you are ok, Tyrone!

Seems quite strange but I was really worried about your new house. Hope you'll find everything else in good condition.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Keith,

Good to hear the news. I guess if you folks are ok mine are also. I talked to the wife and daughter earlier today and they were still waiting for the storm.

I'll call again tomorrow to check and see if my Grand daughter was born yet.

Wai`anae Steve

I made it home this morning, through lots of downed power lines and trees. Finally, on the third alternate route, I made it, and just in time as the last outer band of Gustav is coming through with heavy gusts and even heariver rain. I have essentials here now running on generator power.

No connectivity here land wise, but my air card has 2 bars and is working.

Glad your home is still standing, and not doing it underwater. So get to the important stuff... How r the palms?! Did you plant before you left? :D

We have been in an outer band onslaught since my previous post a few hours ago. I am gonna guess we have gotten 4 or 5 inches of rain in that same few hours. Although the bayou should be fine, I have never seen it as high as it is right now, not even in Hurricanes Lili, Katrina, or Rita. And the rains are coming down still with gust to 40mph. With the super saturated soils at this point, I suspect that still more trees will come down before it is over.

I have plenty of leaning palms, as a matter of fact, palms that are not leaning are the noteworthy ones. It will be tomorrow before I can even think about posting pictures and it will take me an easy week or two to clean out the whole 3 acres. Biggest palm issue right now, may actually be the super saturated soils as opposed to the wind. Essentially, every palm I own is underwater to the root ball and will stay that way for a few days.

This outer band is beating the crap out of us at home. Bayou still rising and now I have a leak in one of the bedrooms. Branches on the ground are steadily mounting.

This outer band is beating the crap out of us at home. Bayou still rising and now I have a leak in one of the bedrooms. Branches on the ground are steadily mounting.

Keith,

Glad to hear you are out of the worst of it. Hopefully the bayou will not rise too much more. Flooding after the wind is always a huge factor. Good luck and keep us posted. We are thinking about you and yours.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Righting and propping palms works very well as proven after Andrew at Fairchild. (After Frances/Jeanne, there was a noxious incident at a local public garden. Palms were chainsawed when they shoulda been propped. Key staffer quit in protest).

Very unfortunate that the late bands were so damaging. Best wishes with the leak.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Keith,Glad to hear that you made it through Gustav and hope your Palms are better than expected.They are more resilient than we give them credit.

What you look for is what is looking