IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gustav

tank

I hope it all goes well with you guys and that high holds and the shear winds pull Gustav apart and it just dumps a bit of rain. All the best and I'm thinking of you guys from the other side of the world.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Tyronne

BTW - I wish I had my video camera when I tried to find gas today. First local, all stations out of gas. Went to nearest town, most stations out and the ones that had gas were a real circus side show.

After spending about 30 minutes in line hopelessly trapped watching people do absolutely stupid things, I enjoyed the freedom of driving a truck. I hopped the curb and drove off over the lawn. I got out later after the roar was over and found gas at a remote station. I filled the truck, but of course they were out of everything but premium, so I got jacked on that. I wasn't too worried as I could have always siphoned out the boat tank to fill the truck.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I hope the best for all the people that living there... Gustav is a nasty storm i think.. i saw possible catogorie 4 in the Gulf of Mexico... but catogorie 3 when it hits land. And Hanna? going too warmer water? Maybe the next hurricane later... A new possible storm maybe by the african coast... looks like the sea would be a little full with storms if a new one will be born.

Gustav5dayforecast30-08-2008.jpg

Hanna5dayforecast30-08-2008.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

After waking this morning and seeing that forecast, I am truly sick to my stomach.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Get out of there. This could be worse than Katrina. My thoughts are with you.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thank you.

I am sure Kathryn has bugged out as mandatory evac for her area is probably already in effect. My area goes into mandatory evac at 7am Sunday morning.

Well got to see a great LSU game, in which they announced Gustav had reached a cat. 4.

Wife and I are headed back this evening to Houston, gotta get outta Baton Rouge before this contraflow gets heavy.

I'm taking my parents back with me to my house in Houston, this is getting big.

Keith, I'm thinking of and hoping for you & Kathryn & everyone else in LA. If you are anywhere near saltwater, board up & get out of there. Here in Cape Coral we are already getting rainbands from Gustav. It's a monster.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Keith, Kathryn, and all,

While it looks like the track is shifting some, it's probably not enough for you to avoid some rough going. I'll be watching and wondering how you all are doing. So, let us know when you get back up a running.

Gook Luck

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I will be online through this evening and into tomorrow. I will relocate up to Lafayette no later than late afternoon. From there I will be online for as long as the generator and somekind of bandwidth is available. We have 4 redundant channels available, but if this thing is a tough as it looks that still might not be enough.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Keith

I will also be online via Facebook. You know my name to look me up there.

And also on YahooIM

Just use my full name with no spaces @yahoo.com

Wow Gustav got big fast and Cuba isnt slowing it down.

we had a band come through a couple hours ago with 20 mph winds and a 33mph gust come through from one of the northern most "bands"

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Stay safe Keith and Kathryn and get out of that area sooner than later. Wunderground.com is projecting it to reach Cat 5 by tomorrow evening and still be a Cat 4 when it slams into Lousiana.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Just checked and it's category 4 after crossing Cuba. Winds to 140mph and it's expected to intensify further. Take care guys. Look after yourselves and get out of there if you can.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Keith, Kathryn, and my wife visiting my daughter in Denham Springs wishing you all good luck.

My next grand child is due on Tuesday. This is going to be a tough birth!!!!

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Keith and Kathyrn:

My prayers are with you. As I know, both of you are undergoing emergency preparations for this hurricane.

My prayers are with anyone who is in path of this storm.

It doesn't look good.

All we can hope for is "wind shear"

I truly hope you guys are fine. I've watched the news and it's not looking good at all. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God be with you!

Keith, Kathryn, and my wife visiting my daughter in Denham Springs wishing you all good luck.

My next grand child is due on Tuesday. This is going to be a tough birth!!!!

Wai`anae Steve

I hope your grandchild will be born safe and healthy & all my best wishes to your wife and your daughter.

It's sure you are not going to have a good time worrying....I hope everything will turn up fine!

Good Luck!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

I agree with the people above me... get out of there.. i'm following Gustav since he was born on the cards and this things is heavier then Katrina. I hope the best for those people that living in the way from Gustav. I was reading on the internet that New Orleans has started a big evacuation since a couple days?

Robbin

Southwest

I agree with the people above me... get out of there.. i'm following Gustav since he was born on the cards and this things is heavier then Katrina. I hope the best for those people that living in the way from Gustav. I was reading on the internet that New Orleans has started a big evacuation since a couple days?

Robbin

New Orleans is still emptying out. Take a look here and you see it is still bumper to bumper on I-10 heading out of New Orleans.

http://www.dotd.louisiana.gov/press/traffi...asp?camera=Cam1

[Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans, which was devastated three years ago by Hurricane Katrina, issued a mandatory evacuation order beginning 8:00 a.m. and warned that anyone found off their own property after it takes effect can be arrested.

Nagin called Gustav the "mother of all storms" and told residents to "get out of town. This is not the one to play with."]

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Craig and I left home at 3:00 am Sunday morning and made it to my parents house on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain in one hour - which is the regular drive time. They stared contraflow right behind us so we just barely made it. The people heading east and west are in for a long, slow drive.

We will probably see some strong winds here, but no threat of flood since the house is 45 feet above sea level. The last warning I saw from the St. Charles Parish government was that a 12 -13 foot surge was expected from Lake Pontchartrain. Our levees in St. Charles Parish are only 10 feet at the lake. I don't think I will sleep for the next few days - good thing I have lots of wine.

Thanks for all your well wishes.

I wish you all the best and hope that the storm steers away from you.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

All along the Gulf Coast in TX and LA.....all of our thoughts are with you. I can't stop thinking about all of the trees, fauna, and pets that are caught up in the hurricane preparations.

Here in Ft. Lauderdale, we have bands of driving rain and some gusts to 30mph all day Saturday and Sunday.

Now we are concerned with TS Hanna right now.

I USED to love summertime, but of late, summer and fall are ruined by anxiety.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

,,,,I USED to love summertime, but of late, summer and fall are ruined by anxiety.

Man, do I know what you mean. I am feeling the same way.

,,,,I USED to love summertime, but of late, summer and fall are ruined by anxiety.

Man, do I know what you mean. I am feeling the same way.

I agree to that or glued to the computer screen watching the storm on any movements it makes

to the people in TX/LA our prayers are with you and hope the best of the outcome

Regards

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Well, like yesterday it a beautiful day out. Mostly sunny with gentle breezes. You would never know all hell is fixing to break loose.

It's noon on the East coast and I just talked to Rick. He says they are getting band after band of rain from the hurricane in Ft Lauderdale. Also, he lives on the Middle River and they have opened up the levies up above and the water is almost up to dock level. The effects of the next tropical depression is already being felt in S. Florida, something else to look forward to. :(

Dick

Richard Douglas

There is a lot of vacant land on the Big Island.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

There is a lot of vacant land on the Big Island.

Hmmm, volcano or hurricane, volcano or hurricane, what shall it be? Well, a house can be rebuilt after a hurricane, after a lava flow, well. No matter, I am a Louisiana boy, born and raised. Pretty sure I am gonna die here too. But not quite yet.

Keith,

You forgot earthquakes and tsunamis! :lol: And, we also officially have hurricane season now - the only difference being that because of the slightky cooler ocean waters here (compared to the Gulf), the hurricanes in our neck of the wood are a bit more sporadic, and there's actually never been a recorded hurricane hit on the Big Island (=since the 1800s). But back to Gustav (and who comes up with these names???), I hope you and Kathryn and everybody else in the affected areas are safe, with minimal, or no, damage!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Isn't Gustav a Russian name? Humm, I wonder?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Bo,

It looks like it is a Swede. "Gustav or Gustaf is a male given name of Old Swedish origin, means "staff of the Goths," derived from the Old Norse elements Gautr ("Goth") and stafr ("staff"). This name has been borne by seven Kings of Sweden, including the 16th-century Gustav Vasa and the current king, Carl XVI Gustaf. It is a common name for Swedish monarchs since the reign of Gustav Vasa." Wikipedia. Not that this has anything to do with the hurricane. It is interesting though where names come from.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Keith, Kathryn et. al.

Latest I have is that Gustav is weakening somewhat and speeding up some; both good things.

But, if you look at the storm surge models, they're frightening. One I've seen seems to indicate

up to a 15-18' surge on the west bank of Ponchartrain. I just hope for your sakes it speeds up

and gets over land where it can play out.

Of course, play out means dumping feet of rain inland. Some of the models seem to show it

stalling in northern LA/east Texas - those folks won't get the wind, but they'll get the rain and

flooding until the storm is wrung out.

It doesn't look good for New Orleans either.

Keep you heads down, we're prayin' for y'all.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Eerie calm out there right now. It is dead calm, but radar says the first big rains are just a few miles away.

Here is the first sign of Gustav coming to call.

post-1207-1220234497_thumb.jpg

Don,

You're absolutely correct, it's an old Swedish name. An interesting choice for a hurricane from the tropics!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hello all. I have safely relocated from New Iberia to the Data Center in Lafayette. The Data Center is a hardened section, so I am safe.

Here is one of the Admins starting to shut down some non-critical services.

post-1207-1220234419_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you didn't wait till first light Keith... May have been a bit too late... Hunker down and hold tight, maybe even get some rest :asleep: it'll blow over fast. :badday:

Hope you took a few before shots of your yard... I'm looking forward to some after pics. :interesting:

Be safe, we will pray for you and yours... :greenthumb::winkie:

Glad to hear you didn't wait till first light Keith... May have been a bit too late... Hunker down and hold tight, maybe even get some rest :asleep: it'll blow over fast. :badday:

Yes, the storm has picked up a little speed, which is a good thing, but when the first outer band came through, I decided to bug out.

One of the seedlings I cherry picked to save was the P. sargentii you sent me. Thanks again.

Correction: I just heard 6' storm surge at the lake, maybe 12' in Plaquemines Parish.

That's a big difference and much better news from what I saw on WeatherUnderground

before.

Keith, we have a project in New Iberia for Lone Star Corrosion; we haven't broken

ground yet. I didn't realize you were so close to New Iberia.

Steve

I am about 5 miles south of New Iberia. Where is your project, out at the Port of Iberia? If you come this way, let me know.

Keith

It's actually my partner's project, so I'm not quite sure exactly where it

is but it has to be near the port as this company does coatings for oilfield

equipment, vessels, etc. Just get through the next few days, and I'll talk

to you later in the week about coming down for a site visit.

Steve