IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

September

Neofolis

Our September has been almost ideal from the plants point of view.  Quite a few days very windy, which is not ideal, but a reasonable amount of rain.  Daytime temperatures have been average or just above, but night time temperatures have been consistently above or well above average, which is great for keeping the growing season going, as long as we don't have a rapid change.  The considerable amount of cloud cover that has been keeping the night time temperatures up will have reduced light and hence growth rate (along with the effect of reduced temperatures), so hopefully the transition to dormancy will be fairly smooth.  This month has been very similar to last October and early November where we had similar weather patterns keeping temperatures up.

I have a rough idea of people's weather around the world from the weather sites I check and the other threads here, but I wondered how others would summise their September, good, bad, etc.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Neo-

September here has been magnificent!

I have logged over 20" of rain!  So far this month in my yard, the average high has been about 90F and the average low about 74F.  But, there is little doubt that we are transitioning seasons as I had one night last week that dropped to 64.8F.  This "blip" came very early this year.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Without the 2 cold fronts that have come down, September has been pretty good... Daytime temps in the mid-high 70's and nights in the low 60's.... but Another cold front is due by the weekend..... Oh well.... transition time.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

It has been a great month, and the palms are still growing well, but change is on the horizon.

Where some look at temp change (we are still in the very low 90's day, and low 70's at night), here on the island the larger concern is a lack of rain during the winter, and the last couple of weeks this September we are now making the transition from wet to dry...like Larry a couple of hours to my north, the first part of September was wet........ the early fronts sometimes bring rain off the Gulf, but also dryer air in back of them.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Rusty-

Still nice and wet up here (at least in my exact area).   Just last night we got another inch and a quarter, and the day before got 3/4".  

This coupled with the temps that you mentioned has made for some great looking palms/plants.  There is nothing like Ma Nature's water it seems.

Larry 

Hi Neofolis,

For the netherlands September is to warm and to dry !! I don't care !! Like July is this september the hottest form the last 300 years. This september was 4C/39.2F to warm.

Normal day temp for this time of year 17C, We don't have got one day the tempeture was under the 20C, we have a lot of day's above the 25C, i have got in my living place one day 30C/86F (12-09), also 6 september was almost al tropical day with 29,8C/84.2F. About the night tempetures normal the are around the 10/50F-11C/51.8F, i have got one "Cold" night 9.6C/49F on the 8th of this month. I have got 6 more nights that the tempeture was lower then 15C/59F. The rest of the night are a lot of higher. The warmest night this month so far 13 September, the tempeture don't go lower then 19.1C/ 66.3F.

About rain ? I don't have got so much rain. I have got 18mm/ 0.70 Inches of rain. Normal for this month must be 74mm/2.91 Inches of rain. So it's be very dry here...

And the don't expect for the hole next week we don't go lower then 20C ....

Southwest

I found also this, about the tempetures for October, November,December. So it looks like we got higer tempetures then the average :) And not more rain then normal !

global_temp_large.gif

global_rainfall_large.gif

Southwest

Those definitely look like El Nino maps to me. Not sure if I'm going to like it or not yet.

We got between one and two inches last night too. I went to the UCF game and there was standing water everywhere, it was pretty gross, but I'm sure the palms absolutely loved it! It was very warm yesterday too.

I do not like what that map says!  FL - cold.  bleah.

We've had so much rain this month, just unreal.  All the palmies and other tropies love it, except my glaucas.  One especially has gotten too wet.  I hope I won't lose it, but this seems likely :(  If I bring it indoors, it won't get much light and will sulk.  If I leave it outdoors, it gets drenched.  argh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

HAHA look at socal, a lot colder. Hopefully it will stay warm up here, but those maps look like a cold wet rainy season :(

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Well, looks like So Flo and Slow Cal are going to have colder than normal weather. I hope not as I know many of us push our zones to the max. Good luck U.S.A!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I was feeling sorry for Bobby, looking at those maps.  Just what he needs having finally got things in the ground this year.  At least the US can take solace in the fact that predictions that long range are generally either vague or inaccurate.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Warmer than average for Oz. It's going to be a lead melting summer I fear, and dry.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Exotic Life, thanks for posting those early winter graphics of the entire globe.   :P

Not everyone is on board for an El Nino forecast.  Long range predictions have been especially challenging over the past few years [eg. Atlantic hurricane season].   ???

September has been cooler than normal in CAL/much more comfortable [Max: 80's Min: 60's].  Fall season can be quite warm/dry/windy. Fire to the north in Ventura co. has been burning practically all month & still out of control.  :angry:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I was feeling sorry for Bobby, looking at those maps.  Just what he needs having finally got things in the ground this year.  At least the US can take solace in the fact that predictions that long range are generally either vague or inaccurate.

I have it all covered (Literally), Corey.... I spent the last 2 days putting up the plastic greenhouses.. (Pics to come soon)...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

It was 48 degrees F in Atlanta according to the news this morning when I was driving to work.  That's the lowest temp by alot so far this year.  Last week was the first time we dipped into the 50's.  We've had highs right around 75-80F lately.  I like this weather, but I don't like the fact that it's a sign of winter being just ahead.  Earlier in September it was pretty warm (upper 80's for highs, upper 60's for lows).

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

It was 48 degrees F in Atlanta according to the news this morning when I was driving to work.  That's the lowest temp by alot so far this year.  Last week was the first time we dipped into the 50's.  We've had highs right around 75-80F lately.  I like this weather, but I don't like the fact that it's a sign of winter being just ahead.  Earlier in September it was pretty warm (upper 80's for highs, upper 60's for lows).

Hey Steve....

I talked to a friend in Decatur and he said it was 46f.... It was only 53f here on Long Island last night, but we're forecasted down to 45f tonight... ugggh

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

This morning was my coldest morning yet this season at 63.3 F.  It has managed to get to the upper 60's a few nights the past couple of weeks. Apparently I live a cool area because the peoples' personal weather stations from weather underground in Sun City Center, a little retirement town 5 or 6 miles inland from me, generally have warmer temps on any given night. Oh well. I guess I will have my work cut out for me protecting my 10A and 10B palms this winter....As they die, hardy palms will take their place. Surprisingly, several personal weather stations in central pinellas on the bay side and in Sarasota logged into the mid 60's this morning as well. I think the only really good places are within about 1 mile of the gulf of mexico. The fawn stations in the area have routinely gone into the 50's these last couple weeks of september so I guess it could be worse for me.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Sep. 29 2006,16:17)

Surprisingly, several personal weather stations in central pinellas on the bay side and in Sarasota logged into the mid 60's this morning as well.

Yesiree....66.7F was logged in my yard at 539AM today.

And, even the Clearwater AP dropped to 66.9F.

And, Vandenberg AP (inland Tampa by I4/I75) dropped to 60.8F.

Larry 

Apparently I live a cool area because the peoples' personal weather stations from weather underground in Sun City Center, a little retirement town 5 or 6 miles inland from me, generally have warmer temps on any given night.  I think the only really good places are within about 1 mile of the gulf of mexico.

Dont feel too bad Bill.  I also routinely get teased by another area station here in Tarpon Springs as USF has a marine station in Fred Howard Park (which is smack dab on the Gulf).  Their reported low last night was 75.7F.  Every time I look at their readings I get this sudden urge to move :D

Larry 

Apparently I live a cool area because the peoples' personal weather stations from weather underground

Also---

One has to many times examine the readings from some of the personal weather stations with a bit of discretion.  I have been watching them for quite a while now and some are not accurate, nor reliable.  You will see which stations are as such after watching them over time.

Larry 

65F here this morning but minimums are forecast to drop below 60F by early next week.  The slight chance of showers also next week, I hope!  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Had twice the average rainfall for the month , 235.4 mm

making a yearly total of 3790.4 mm .

Really warming up now , spring has sprung .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I'm not exactly feeling great sympathy for anyone when we are forecast to go down to 6°C/43°F three nights this week.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Yeh, my earlier post seemed kinda' whiney. Let me clarify by saying that September was quite magnificent the last couple of weeks with decreased humidity. The beginning of the month was wet but that rainfall is long forgotten as the sandy soil of FL does not hold the moisture for long no matter how much we get. Actually, the NWS is starting to mention wild fires due to the hot, dry weather. My st. augustine grass has seemed to slow in growth (hooray!), but the palms still seem to be growing pretty good. I think if I gave them more irrigation, they would grow as if it were July right now. My king palms are probably growing faster now than in the hottest and brightest part of the summer. Let's hope for a great October now! Who wants to start the October thread? :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Hmm, some of that is in conflict to what I saw at NOAA. They show above average temps through the winter for the western half of the US.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

Heres how September ended for my yard.

The rainfall values are not typos!  My yard sits high (23 ft) but a few hundred feet away is pretty much sea level and a few days this past month this area was completely flooded out.

Overall, the temps were right about average for the month even though there were a few nights with well below average lows, like Sept 21st.

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +93.4 °F at 14:58:00 on 22 September

Minimum temperature: +64.8 °F at 07:15:00 on 21 September

Maximum humidity: 100 % at 13:25:00 on 01 September

Minimum humidity: 29 % at 13:38:00 on 28 September

Maximum dew point: +81.9 °F at 09:19:00 on 14 September

Minimum dew point: +47.7 °F at 16:24:00 on 28 September

Minimum wind chill: +62.6 °F at 06:23:00 on 20 September

Maximum heat index: +106.9 °F at 14:32:00 on 16 September

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.03 In.Hg at 12:52:00 on 23 September

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.76 In.Hg at 06:50:00 on 14 September

Maximum wind gust: 21.0 MPH from 193° at 11:31:00 on 07 September

Maximum indoor temperature: +78.6 °F at 15:53:00 on 04 September

Minimum indoor temperature: +72.5 °F at 11:40:00 on 02 September

------------------------------------------------------------

Averages

Average temperature: +81.2 °F

Average maximum temperature: +89.1 °F

Average minimum temperature: +73.3 °F

Average humidity: 73 %

Average maximum humidity: 96 %

Average minimum humidity: 50 %

Average dew point: +71 °F

Average maximum dew point: +77.2 °F

Average minimum dew point: +64.9 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +71.1 °F

Average maximum heat index: +96.8 °F

Average barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.3 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +73.7 °F

------------------------------------------------------------

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

1st September - (2.87 In.)

4th September - (0.2 In.)

5th September - (0.04 In.)

7th September - (4.72 In.)

8th September - (0.71 In.)

10th September - (0.08 In.)

11th September - (1.22 In.)

12th September - (1.97 In.)

13th September - (0.83 In.)

15th September - (0.04 In.)

19th September - (5.2 In.)

20th September - (3.74 In.)

22nd September - (0.08 In.)

23rd September - (0.08 In.)

24th September - (0.08 In.)

25th September - (0.75 In.)

26th September - (1.3 In.)

27th September - (0.08 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 18

Maximum rainfall rate: 26.73 In./hour at 11:32:00 on 07 September

Total rainfall for September: 23.99 In.

Days Since Rain: 0

Last rainfall amount: 0.04 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 16.1 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 215°

Larry 

Wow!  :P

Really impressed with your weather data, Larry.  Didn't know that there were other weather nuts besides myself on this board.   :laugh:

I live in the foothills that form the eastern rim of the Los Angeles Basin at approximately 900'.

Here's my preliminary data for September 2006:

Monthly Max: 86F  Normal Max: 87F

Monthly Min:  63F  Normal Min:  65F

Highest Max: 100F [9/4/06]

Lowest Min:  60F [9/26/06]

Rainfall: 0.00  Normal: 0.09

Rain Year Total: Trace [Rain year: July 2006-June 2007]

Haven't calculated cooling degrees yet.

All in all, it was a slightly cooler than normal month along with August [ 88F / 65F] for Los Angeles and a welcome relief from a horrendous July [95F / 71F]  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Oct. 02 2006,01:21)

Wow!  :P

Really impressed with your weather data, Larry.  Didn't know that there were other weather nuts besides myself on this board.   :laugh:

Happ-

Id try and claim how gathering such data is a massive undertaking, but in reality, my weather station just spit this out and I merely cut and pasted it here:D

I have my station talking my with PC at 10 second intervals and the software does the rest.

Larry 

I'd say most of us that try to push zone boundaries, that would be most of us then, are weather nuts, but we don't all have weather stations, at least not such sophisticated ones.  Yet.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Larry,

what brand/type is your weather station?

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

(Neofolis @ Oct. 01 2006,14:46)

I'm not exactly feeling great sympathy for anyone when we are forecast to go down to 6°C/43°F three nights this week.

Neofolis,

Why that "cold" in England, we don't go under the 10C in the nights .. and Day temps are between the 16 and 19 C. Still to warm for the time of year !:)

Southwest

(jam99 @ Oct. 03 2006,02:35)

Larry,

what brand/type is your weather station?

Cheers, Jan

Jan-

Its just a basic Oregon Scientific unit I found on Ebay earlier this year (model WM-918).  Its an older wired unit that I found new (I wanted wires and not wireless so I wouldnt have to worry about transmission glitches, etc).  There are many many different brands and models all of which do more or less the same thing.

The key is the software as this is what allows real time logging, trending, etc.  

The software I use is actually freeware and called FreeWx.  The best part is that there is an entire web board set up by the author for support, questions, etc.  Its a great program and you cant beat the support (nor the price)!

Larry 

Larry,

thanks a bunch. I was gonna ask whether the SW comes with the HW or you get it elsewhere. I have written down the FreeWx name. Will check it out. Thanks.

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Hi guys

I did a search on the net and came up with a price of $229.00 for the Oregon wireless unit, this from https://secure.scientificsales.com/pricesTooLow.cfm

I found only one vendor locally that sells the same Oregon Scie unit and his asking price????? R7700 = $1100. He must be on some strong drugs!

Cheers all

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

(PalmsZA @ Oct. 04 2006,07:37)

Hi guys

I did a search on the net and came up with a price of $229.00 for the Oregon wireless unit, this from https://secure.scientificsales.com/pricesTooLow.cfm

If you dig around on Ebay, you can sometimes find even better deals.  

My unit is similar to the one at the above link, but is wired (not wireless) and I paid......$58 :D  This was a deal that I couldnt pass up.

The other stations pictured at the site above (Davis units) are really the nicest ones to get IMO (outside of professional quality ones which can cost thousands).  But, by the time one is done with a Davis setup, including software and all its easy to spend $500 to even over $1000+.

Larry 

If you dig around on Ebay, you can sometimes find even better deals.  

So Lar, where are the links? ???

Thanks

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis-

Go to Ebay and search for "weather station".  Youll get hundreds of them popping up!  There are some Buy It Now auctions for the standard fare Oregon Scientific WMR-968 (wireless unit) for $179.  But, one can sometimes get better deals by waiting out an auction.

Larry 

The MET Office summary is now out for September, I'm totally shocked.  It was the hottest September on record from the data series dating back to 1914 and particularly hot in the Southwest, where I live.  Average temperature hotter than August.  I'm shocked because it didn't seem too wonderful to me, although night time temperatures were definitely well above normal, some of the daytime temperatures quoted were very hot, I must have missed them.  Rainfall was below normal, again I'm shocked because whilst it was more cloudy than wet, we had quite few days of rain and some of it was very hard and long lasting.  Less rain than August, which is also a surprise.  Lastly sunshine levels well above average, I find this totally unphathomable as even when it wasn't raining it was still cloudy.  Again September beat August, although August was also very cloudy, but had the benefit of longer days.

I realise that the MET office statistics are averages for England & Wales and it will vary from place to place, but in each case the South and Southwest supposedly got the best of the weather, yet here it seemed fairly dull.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa