IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

problem retaining log-in details

Paul S

Hi team

Since the new incarnation of the board I need to re-enter my log-in detail seach time I visit the site - the cookies don't seem to be sticking! My browser is set for accepting cookies and I have no problem with all the other boards I visit. I have had a look through my control panel and can't see anything there - any ideas?

Thanks

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

There has been some discussion about this before? Are you on a network at work, or behind a router or firewall at home?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Nothing that should make any difference. I have a router for my home network (sounds grand but just my desktop and wife's laptop) but it doesn't seem to affect anything else.

I guess it is no big deal as I can still read the posts and rarely post anything or get messages. I just wondered if there was a magic button anywhere..

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

As near as I have been able to figure out, there are some routers and/or firewalls (and even an occasional ISP) that break the association between your IP and the cookies intermittently for some security purposes. The forum software is set on the highest security setting that senses when this happens, and requires another log in. It is a setting to prevent cookie hijacking. It apparently interprets it as an attempt to "steal" a cookie.

Since this is only affecting about a dozen members (lucky you), we have decided it is not warranted to reduce the security for so few. One member managed to understand and change the configuration of his router and solved his problem. It had something to do with some default security setting. So you could begin to look there.

Sorry, I can't help you much more than that.

I only just about know that the box on my window ledge a called a router let along understand how to change things in it. To me the PC is a magic box - I press buttons and all this wonderful stuff happens. No matter - it is no real hardship. Thanks for thinking about it anyway.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Paul S-

I have noticed the same on my end....each visit to the site requires a new log in.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Let's just consider ourselves the chosen few, shall we? :)

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

I have noticed the same on my end....each visit to the site requires a new log in.

Larry,

I notice that in your case that your IP address changes back and forth between xxx.xx.82.90 and xxx.xx.82.89

You must have different computers, or a router assigning different IPs when another computer is on line behind a router first. Each time your IP changes, the Forum requires another log in. So if you can get your computer to retain the same IP, that may solve your problem.

Paul S,

Your IP looks constant, so it must be dropping the IP, and re-acquiring it from time to time for some reason. You could try plugging in directly to your modem, if possible, and see what that does. But you may have one of those new integrated modem router units. If you try it, and it makes a difference, be sure to let me know.

me too....

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

same thing but only in the last few days

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

For both you guys, Wal and Fiji Jim,

I see at least two different IP addresses in your last 5 posts. Each time your IP changes, you will be asked to log in again. For security reasons the cookie needs the same IP for you to be remembered.

I haven't tried unplugging the cable yet - need to be sure of what I am doing first! - but when I do I'll report back in case it decides the issue one way or another.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Paul,

I don't know much about how an ISP works in the UK, but I was recommending trying to bypass the router, and plug directly into your modem to see if that made a difference. Or maybe asking your ISP if you have a static or dynamic IP. Did they supply the router, or is it yours?

What type of service do you have? Cable, DSL, Dial Up???

I also have to log in each time I visit the board, something that I did not have to do in the past.

Dividing my time between my home on the Emerald Coast, Panama City Beach, Florida - Zone 9a, and my home in Mt. Olive, North Central Alabama - Zone 8a

Ray,

In checking your IP addresses, I see a post made on Aug 20 returned this info --- "71.12.196.28 is unknown.al.charter.com"

The next day the IP information from another of your posts said --- "64.12.116.196 is cache-mtc-ad02.proxy.aol.com"

As mentioned above, if your IPS address is changing you will be required to log in each time it changes. It looks as if two different computers and ISPs were used. The PalmTalk cookie is attached to your IP address. So if it changes, it will not remember you. Also, please note that it appears as if AOL is using more changing IPs lately.

Just thought I would pass on something similar that happened to me today. I have been experiencing the same problems with having to re-log on almost every time I open palmtalk. It never bothered me but today I opened palmtalk and before I signed in a PM popped up. After I read the PM it still had me logged off. My question is why would a PM pop up while I am not logged in? If the PM knows I am on the server why would palmtalk not have me signed in?

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

More to the story! When I click on Palmtalk on my Address Bar (i have a mac) the home page appears and says welcome guest. If I click on the link that says palmtalk just below the pink "welcome guest" bar it automatically signs me in. Thought this was a bit strange and probably explains why PM's appear even when I am recognized as a guest. Still doesn't explain why Palmtalk doesn't automatically log me in every time.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

i also have these problems.

I shutdown my computer every evening, and turn it back on in the morning.

When i visit palmtalk again in the morning i need to log in by myself.

I don't have these problems with other sites/forums.

As i can see like the moderator said, if you change your IP you need to log in again.

OK, but it's not necessary on other forums i visit.

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

You guys are making it hard to figure anything out because you don't give me any information at all. Are you using different computers, what kind of ISP are you using, do you have wireless routers, or firewalls (software or hardware), are there other computers on your network, so you get a different extension on your IP if they are on first, etc. ???

Nick, I notice you too, as with the last three complaints here, show different IP addresses.

The host name for 76.176.152.101 is cpe-76-176-152-101.san.res.rr.com

The host name for 70.181.245.227 is ip70-181-245-227.sd.sd.cox.net

Are you logging in from multiple places? If so, that will require a re-log in each time.

As to your question about the PM, I can only guess that it recognized you from the original IP and saved it until you logged in from the other location. Since it already had the PM recognized, it popped up, but them when you went to do your first navigation it saw you with a different IP than your last visit. I hope you understand me. I am guessing you may be logging in from the station from time to time.

I do have an idea for some of you though, and I will be posting the question as a pinned IMPORTANT topic. Please look for it.

Thanks Dean,

All seems OK :D now.

Must be because of the new computer.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

As i can see like the moderator said, if you change your IP you need to log in again.

OK, but it's not necessary on other forums i visit.

Pivi,

As mentioned before, this is a security setting with this forum software. It prevents cookie spoofing (or hijacking). I could change that setting and make it less secure like some other forums, but for now we (I) enjoy the extra security.

Thanks Dean,

All seems OK :D now.

Must be because of the new computer.

Jim

I'm glad to hear that Jim, Nothing has changed on this end, so you must have solved whatever was bothering you.