IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

is it too soon to have another "new Leaf" thread??

Gbarce

Its been raining and overcast over here for a couple of weeks straight. The sun finally came out today and I was greeted by a lot of new leaves when I checked the palms.

First one I noticed was this red leaf Calyptrocalyx

post-1017-1218110319_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Very pretty, no doubt.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Pritchiarda Pacifica. Whe I bought this palm it was in pretty bad condition and the leaves were openning up damaged-- se teh older leaf in the right.

THis is the first "full" and healthy leaf that Opened up since I planted it in the ground

post-1017-1218110539_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Pinanga Maculata-- but this one has no red pigments in it. But the mottling pattern is still pretty awasome!!

post-1017-1218110722_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Variegated Arenga Englerii opening up a new leaf. The variegated parts are a nice bright yellow. THis is my favorite among my variegated palms :drool::lol:

post-1017-1218111018_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Arenga Hookeriana :drool:

Your Arenga looks fantastic. It one of my favorites. Actually all of your palms look really well grown.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Variegated Royal Palm-- this was my gutsyest move so far. I planted a pretty small seedling in the ground at teh start of teh rainy season and this is the first leaf its produced since being planted.

post-1017-1218111159_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Here's a close up of thos leaflets.

The variegation pattern isn't in big patches but in think streaks all over.

Its not the showiest variegation pattern but probably the most stable

OK thats it.

Please share your latest openings :lol::rolleyes::drool::)

post-1017-1218111286_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Very pretty, no doubt.

Jeff

Good Morning Mr. Searle. We haven't crossed each other's path on teh board much lately. Where have I been hiding??

You probably have hundreds of new leaves from really rare and exotic plams opening up in your back yard everyday--please post :lol:

How is travis doing??

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene

Very nice. The variety of palms that you can grow that open up nice red leaves makes me jealous. I've never seen a variegated royal before, how did you come across that? One things for sure, it should be interesting to see it as it gets bigger which shouldn't take to long in your climate.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Gene

Very nice. The variety of palms that you can grow that open up nice red leaves makes me jealous. I've never seen a variegated royal before, how did you come across that? One things for sure, it should be interesting to see it as it gets bigger which shouldn't take to long in your climate.

Don

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Gene

Piic's look great. Colors are awesome.

Edrow

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Gene:

We here in the California Tundra can NEVER get enough of your glorious tropical plants!

The swooning sofa is well-used, and the crying towel well-lubricated . . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gene,

You have quite a bit of a collection now... don't you? Have you planted any in the ground lately? BTW, how is your pelagodoxa?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don L- Thanks. I envy your front yard. Everything is certainly growing healthy and it nice and neat. I have years to go before this garden matures. I got the variegated royal in a local plant show as a really small seedling. I grew it for a few months and decided to plant it in teh ground in June. It was the start of the rainy season so I thought itwould be teh best time to plant. I couldn't wait till next year :lol: . I am hoping that it does speed up but off hand I think it is a slower than a normal royal.

Edrow - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. I hope you'd also share your new leaf pics.

Dave in SoCAl - we all want what we can't have I guess. I on the other hand am envious of the temperate/cool growing palm that I can't grow here like Trithrinax Campestris and Rhapistostallis Sapida. I am trying out some Trachycarpus Wagnerianus and so far they are doing ok but they are still just tiny seedling.

I had 2 Chamaerops Humilis but 1 died already. The other is doing ok still (knock on wood). On very rare occasions I have seen chamaerops growing here but they are no where as beautifully grown as what I have seen on this board.

I guess for us in the tropics its about how far we can push temperate palms in our hot and humid climates. :mrlooney::rolleyes::lol:

Ari - no new palms in the since my post on that in June. The repotted Pelagodoxa is status quo-- no new growth yet but it hasn't deteriorate either. There has been some growth though from my 2 other Pelagodoxas that were sick before - one has put out a new leaf that is finally healthy and the other one is pushing up a new spear!

I am preparing an area for future planting - but I have to wait for my seedlings to grow a bit more.

Please post pictures of your new leaves too - I'm sure you have a lot in your acres of land.

Jeff - stop watching the Olymics for a while and post pictures of your palms for us mere mortals :lol:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Let me get back to you Gene in a month or so. Right now am experiencing pain in the rear cold dry weather, my stilt palms are looking crap for example, badly need warmth.

You keep on posting though, it gives the rest of us strength to carry on :violin:

I too would like to know what you have planted inground of late.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Fantastic pictures! The palm in post number 2 is that Geonoma gamiova?

Robbin

Nope-- its still the Calyptrocalyx but from a different angle.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks for the complements guys but hoping for other people to join in on posting pictures of new leaves.

Come on ---what's it gonna take?!?!?!?!?? :huh:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

What is going to take?? It's going to take some humidity, rain & lack of dry wind!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Pinanga Macuala angel wings # 2

I am eagerly awaiting the newest leaf of the P. Macualata with a lot of red color in the new leaf (see my avatar). My observation though is that there is less and less red color as the palm matures.

post-1017-1218631269_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

You do have beautiful palms. Do you have to do a lot of maintenance with all those potted palms? Unfortunately, dry season hasn't been kind to my palms this year. They are just hanging there, waiting for the ground to heat up.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari- actually no. The only thing I really need to maintain is the netting above and they get watered maybe 3 to 4 times a week. Of course during the rainy season you don't need to water. I dont fertilize much either- just some multicote whenever I remember to do so.

Its more the seedling and seed sprouts that keeps me busy in this this hobby. The palms I am showing here take care of themselves I guess.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

:o Holy Palm! Those are the most beautiful pics I've ever seen of those palms....

Thanks for sharing!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona