IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The new Forum

bgl

Seemed like a good idea to keep all comments in the same location.

I'm sure we all agree that Bob and Mike (in Houston) have done an outstanding job in getting this done in record time. THANK YOU!!!

Personally I really like the look of the new forum, and even though I havn't yet had time to check everything out, there seem to be more features available on this new forum.

I have two questions:

I started a new thread hours before we lost the old forum with photos of two different Dypsis with orange crownshafts. Should I repost those in a new thread on the new Forum (easy enough), or will those topics be recovered? And if recovered, will they be "read only" or will we be able to post replies?

And my second question: how do we use the Calendar? For instance, HIPS (Hawaii Island Palm Society) has a meeting on June 24th. Is the calendar intended for these type of events, or...?

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I would like to add my thanks.  Keeping an almost identical layout and functionality should make the transition very easy for all users.

I notice that there is a limit of two images per post, probably a good idea after the recent problem on the old forum.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Wow!

love the new board....

I was unaware thet the new board was up and running untill logging in to the old one. I knew the old one was down lastnight and after checking again today ( without logging in) I saw no change.

Is there any way to inform people ( other than email) about the new board?

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

RLR,

It's nice to be back in the saddle.

Thanks,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Think its great, thanks RLR for everything. Life would be something else if these forums were not here... :)

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(garyc @ Jun. 20 2006,23:50)

I wanted to change the "skin" of this site, but that feature is'nt working yet, Is this correct?

Huh ? Skins ? how where when

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bo, the threads in "Discussing Palm Trees Worldwide" seem to be intact.  Problem is WHEN we'll be able to get them moved here.  The move can NOT be selective--it's all or nothing.

As for the orange crownshaft thread, why not re-create it?  I can always delete the old one if it's necessary.

The calendar function is not what you may at first think.  I just used it, putting into it the HIPS meeting and Bobby in NY's tropical party, both this coming Sat.  These do NOT appear on the actual (graphic) calendar, which can be called up; I guess it's just there in case one's computador didn't come with one!!

The announcements appear in bold red on the main page of the forum (click the Bismarckia photo to instantly get there).

--b

Has anyone noticed that users can not edit or delete their own topics or posts?  Wondering if its just a bug of mine, or its widespread. ???

Ryan

South Florida

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. And it's easy enough for me to put up the orange Dypsis shots again. Just didn't want to duplicate in case a move of the old topics was imminent. That thread (orange Dypsis) was really in response to some of the photos that Jeff Searle posted, and I believe he's in the process right now of adding his Madagagascar shots to the forum, so I'll just wait until later today.

And thanks again for all your work and efforts. I have no idea exactly what happens "behind the scenes" but I'm sure a considerable amount of hours is involved in this operation!

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Palmarum @ Jun. 21 2006,20:54)
Has anyone noticed that users can not edit or delete their own topics or posts?  Wondering if its just a bug of mine, or its widespread. <!--emo&???-->rock.gif<!--endemo-->'><!--endemo-->

Ryan

Ryan,

I can edit my posts; however when I do so, the edited post doesn't include the edited by jam99 on (date) at (time) thing.

Cheers, Jan

Test Test Test

Does this work?

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I'd like to request that the "Flood Control" be turned off so those of us who don't use photobucket can quickly upload multiple photos in consecutive posts, without waiting for the flood control to kick off.  I've already sent RLR a PM on this I just thought I'd put it here to have it on record in the proper thread.  No rush, I know you guys are working hard and we all thank you.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yeah I got stopped by the flood control once and it was irritating, but I dealt with it. ALso, after a certain time, I cannot edit my posts. Overall, I am impressed with this new format.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

>>> So,what's the future for the old forum?..<<<

Stan, we want to archive it for reference purposes.  

What this means is that everyone will be able to read it but not post to it (the version of the software can't deal with more "bloat").

Before we can make an archive, however, we have to delete the older, corrupted (broken) forum where the trouble started.  Two things re. this deletion:

1. we want to get the valuable threads out of it and into the working part first;

2. unfortunately there's still no guarantee that, even after we get rid of the known corrupted part that anything else will work well enough to be saved.

Keep your fingers crossed!

this picture deal is the bomb diggety

thank you rlr for setting this up!!!!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Also- if it wasn't noted here where I posted on another thread, thank you for the 15 post per page limit. I can step to the latest page and not have to go have dinner while on dial-up!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, I just noted you can click right to the last page from the INDEX.  COOL!

:)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!