IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Jade Vine seed pod popped open...

metalfan

You may recall I posted about my Jade Vine setting a seed a while ago. Still can't figure out how it got pollinated. But today the seed pod, which had been getting bigger and bigger, finally popped open. There were 7 seeds inside. Here is a photo:

jadeseeds.jpg

I had emailed the guys at Fairchild Garden awhile ago and they told me that they are easy to germinate and how to plant them.

I think they look pretty neat.

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

In the 20 + years this vine has been growing at Cape Oasis , it never set seed .. several pods set a few years ago while I was working there . They are easy to grow , but hard to maintain in pots for any length of time . They get all tangled up ,, though you should have no troubles getting rid of them Gina .. good growing .

post-354-1215570283_thumb.jpg

post-354-1215570295_thumb.jpg

post-354-1215570330_thumb.jpg

post-354-1215570359_thumb.jpg

post-354-1215570372_thumb.jpg

post-354-1215570395_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I have to plant mine... You are right about them getting tanggled up. Now it is trying to climb my palms in the shadehouse :angry: . So, it will have to go in the ground, whether it likes it or not...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mine are definitely up for trades. I am giving up trying to airlayer and root this vine. I have been successful in the past about 7 times, but I had 3 sections in for air layer this season and they just won't take. Meanwhile they keep growing and growing and its too hard to maintain them.

I am going to try this experiment every time the vine is blooming. I am going to leave the greenhouse door open. That is what had to have happened this time. I left the doors open while I was in there working while the vine was in bloom. I do remember a bumblebee getting in and being on the vine, a yellow swallowtail butterfly and some sort of a red wasp. I don't specifically recall them being on the Jade flowers but they could have been. I think that's the ONLY way it got pollinated, by one of them. The only other things that live in the greenhouse besides the occasional scale or mealybug, LOL, are treefrogs and snakes. Neither of them are likely pollinators. But there WAS that pesky squirrel....nahhhhh!

Gina,

Way to go. It's always rewarding to get your first seed on a plant that you really want or trying to pollinate something. I know there have been people here in south Florida that have had them seed for them before. I actually had a woman bring her tangled mess of seedlings about 4 years ago to me, only to loose her vine the next year because of Hurricane Wilma.

If you could set up a small scale mist house, you could then root your own cuttings. But I think thats the secret. I root mine every summer here at the nursery. The red jade, Mucuna, roots even easier.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, it may be that I would need a different set up. I have successfully rooted HUGE sections of vine (10-12 feet long with multiple leads) before by either air layering or "ground layering"--planting a section of vine in the dirt after wounding it and rubbing rooting hormone on the cuts--but I haven;t been able to get the last attempts to go after several months trying. I end up throwing away tons of cuttings because I have to prune these suckers a lot to keep them from engulfing the world.

I got a red jade, and you are right...it roots very easily, I broke a branch off accidentally when I was planting it and thought well crap...then I just dipped it in Rootone and stuck it in a container of dirt and it rooted. I was pretty surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Sio glad to see this, was just talking about my Jade Vine which i have had for about 5 years now in the ground. I have about 9 seed pods on here now and was wondering what to expect. Thanks for posting the pictures of the open fruit.

Allen

• 3 months later...

BUMP !

Gina,

Any updates on your seedlings? Did most of them sprout?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have an elderly friend with a jade vine (photos below) here in Lake Placid, Florida. I will have to ask him if his vine ever set seed. I doubt it as he's never mentioned it to me that I recall. My wife has been pestering me to get a start from it. I do know that he had an air layer in place on his vine many years ago, however I don't know if he had success with it.

1126929077042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

1126929570042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

I traded all my seeds away, I hope that they sprouted for someone! When it blooms again I am going to leave the greenhouse doors open a lot and see if I can get it to set seeds again

• 10 years later...

We have a green jade vine, and this year it not only produced lots of those wonderful turquoise flowers, we have 29 seed pods.  They are getting quite large.  Want to try to start them from seeds.  I am guessing we wait until the pod pops open to harvest the seeds and plant them right away. Any insight would be welcome.

45 minutes ago, Captbill said:

We have a green jade vine, and this year it not only produced lots of those wonderful turquoise flowers, we have 29 seed pods.  They are getting quite large.  Want to try to start them from seeds.  I am guessing we wait until the pod pops open to harvest the seeds and plant them right away. Any insight would be welcome.

Yes.. would wait until seed / Pods are fully ripened. To keep the seed from escaping when the pods open, you could encase them in something like Nylon stalkings, or a piece of shade cloth. Not sure on how long they retain viability post -maturity ( Suspect not for long ) so yea, i'd plant them right after harvesting, or.. plant most, and keep a few for later,  to gain more insight on germination 6 mos, 1 year, etc after harvesting.

That said, Lucky you!..  Been on my "to acquire" list for some time.  Would be great to see some pictures of the pods / seed later if possible. Good Luck!:greenthumb:

On 5/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Yes.. would wait until seed / Pods are fully ripened. To keep the seed from escaping when the pods open, you could encase them in something like Nylon stalkings, or a piece of shade cloth. Not sure on how long they retain viability post -maturity ( Suspect not for long ) so yea, i'd plant them right after harvesting, or.. plant most, and keep a few for later,  to gain more insight on germination 6 mos, 1 year, etc after harvesting.

That said, Lucky you!..  Been on my "to acquire" list for some time.  Would be great to see some pictures of the pods / seed later if possible. Good Luck!:greenthumb:

15595101741667487640346307740938.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2019 at 7:24 PM, Captbill said:

Well, all seed pods popped open, and we planted right away.  Now we have somewhere between 2 -300 plants. (Totally lost count).  Never expected that kind of success.  Backyard is totally full of potted jade vine plants.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Have been tending to our over 200 jade vine plants.  Man they grow fast. And love to comingle. By the time we get the last one untangled, we get to start all over again. Here is a picture of about 50 of the jade vines.

20190802_102616.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/4/2019 at 3:09 AM, Captbill said:

Have been tending to our over 200 jade vine plants.  Man they grow fast. And love to comingle. By the time we get the last one untangled, we get to start all over again. Here is a picture of about 50 of the jade vines.

Hi! How did you plant the seeds (soil, time, temperature etc. etc.)?
I've bought 5 seeds and tried to plant just 1 because it's still cold here in Malta (+15- +20C during the day, colder at night). I soaked them in water for a few hours and planted in potting medium designated for seedlings and kept the pot inside the plastic storage box to maintain high humidity (80% in avarage) and higher tempereature then in the room (+25- +30C day and +19- + 20C). Unfortunately I don't have a heat mat:( After 10  days seeds didn't germinate but covered with mold, the outer layer was rotten:(
I have 4 more and don't want to make the same mistake.
When will you have the seeds? I might be willing to buy if mine won't germinate.
What in the weather like where you live in winter? Cos in Malta sometimes the temperature goes down to -4C, and a lot of wind in February - March. I was reading it doesn't tolerate tempeture lower then 10C.

I hope to hear from you soon and from everyone who has experience with this beautiful plant. Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi! Is anyone here?

I need advice how to prapagate the jade vine with high success rate. 

I had 5 seeds, one is gone now - got molded and died.

Any help? 

If someone has seeds for sale please let me know as well

Thank you

2 hours ago, Julia Tabone said:

Hi! Is anyone here?

I need advice how to prapagate the jade vine with high success rate. 

I had 5 seeds, one is gone now - got molded and died.

Any help? 

If someone has seeds for sale please let me know as well

Thank you

On 3/22/2021 at 7:20 AM, Julia Tabone said:

Our seeds were planted in a potting soil mix with rocks in the bottom of the pot for drainage.  Also we have tropical weather, a must for these seeds to grow.  We did not soak them at all.  I think the key is warm weather, and do not over water.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Captbill said:

Our seeds were planted in a potting soil mix with rocks in the bottom of the pot for drainage.  Also we have tropical weather, a must for these seeds to grow.  We did not soak them at all.  I think the key is warm weather, and do not over water.

Thanks for your reply,  much appreciated.  We have Mediterranian climate here. It's quite warm right now, but can go as low as 40F in winter, and quite a lot of winds in spring. What location does it like? I imagine shade? Do you have or will have seeds for sale? They don't have long shelf life, aren't they?

This was so many years ago LOL. I traded all the seeds away years ago

42 minutes ago, metalfan said:

This was so many years ago LOL. I traded all the seeds away years ago

Supposed it has to produce seeds every year)