IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

July 2008 Thread

Exotic Life

Here 1th of the July the weather starts really good for us... Northwest european people... The forecasted for today 28C/82.4F.. also tomorrow it will be the same... Fantastic weather so faarr...

Robbin

PICT0007-1.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

This year is full of surprises.

First, rains get here two months behind schedule and today i wake up to 68 degrees. That is 1 degree off the all time record low for July 1. Now, it will still warm up to 90 today, but tonight will go down to 72 degrees again. Sure was nice to walk out the door this morning to find the upper 60s instead of our usual sauna. I walked around the garden for 30 minutes with my morning cup of coffee just soaking it in.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Foir the last 10 days or so rain has loomed overhead and it has been glum looking but until today hadn't let any precipitation out of the sky. Got about an 1" in 30 minutes time today.

Just checked weather.com. For the next week projected lows are upper sixites with highs in the upper 80. NICE. Rains projected to return after 3 or 4 days as well, which makes this premo growing season for palms.

After being pent up with the dry spring, and the rains of the last week, the palms are exploding. Almost every palm has at least one newly opened leaf and is pushing at least two new fronds as well. Yeehaw. They have some ground to make up fast.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, glad someone is receiving some good rain. Here in southern waller county, about 50 miles west of Houston, I have had about 1" in the last 45 days. With temps 90 to 99F. you might say that it is a little on the dry side here. Having to irrigate my palms regularly. What I'm afraid of is one of these days, the bottom will drop out and look out below,

Regards to all,

Marvin

Well June was true to the past, just 0.24 inches of rain. GOOD KEEPS THE WEEDS DOWN.

If July holds true it should also be DRY.

Rain in Wai`anae

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I end up checking the computer at 3 AM every once in a while when I can not sleep all night. I just noticed that it is a warm night, it is 27 C / 81 F which is a few degrees above normal.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

As a follow up to the early AM post above it rained early this morning. And, the temperature now at 1100 AM is cooler than at 3 AM, it is now 75F/24C. As happens frequently with our rainstorms the temperature drops. When it gets really hot at night like last night it normally rains soon thereafter.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It looks like weather information is a bit slow this weekend. I guess that is fine for the 4th of July weekend. Here is what the weather looked like behind my house at 0140 PM today. I just love the clouds and sky this time of year with the transition to the drier months of August and September.

dk

post-188-1215279363_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Not much here... ask me again in October :rolleyes:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Much to my delight, we are still getting regular rain here...another 50mm this weekend, enough to top up the moisture in the soil again.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We most likely won't see rain in southern Spain now until September. Currently it's sunny and warm, with a pleasant breeze blowing in off the Mediterranean. If only every day was like this..

post-1155-1215347465_thumb.png

And that's a reason why i like spain/portugal/south of France so much... Every summer, summer tempetures and SUN SUN SUN.

Robbin

Southwest

Our littel cold front made for a pleasant week with lows righ at 70f/21c and highs right at 88f/31c for the week. It did push the rains out, which had just started and were badly needed, but they returned today with a great rain to settle in my newest palm bed. My 8 new palms are smiling right now and so am I.

Monsoon season is here. Dewpoints in the 50'sF, overnight lows of 77-81F, daytime highs of 103-108F depending on cloudcover. The dry/hot season is over, the palms relieved. Now it hot and humid(35-60%RH), and the best growers this time of year are syagrus, bismarckias, sabals, brahea armata, chamaerops humilis. Supposedly thunderstorms thursday or friday, the clouds in the atmosphere are just about ideal for spectacular sunsets.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Monsoon season is here. Dewpoints in the 50'sF, overnight lows of 77-81F, daytime highs of 103-108F depending on cloudcover. The dry/hot season is over, the palms relieved. Now it hot and humid(35-60%RH), and the best growers this time of year are syagrus, bismarckias, sabals, brahea armata, chamaerops humilis. Supposedly thunderstorms thursday or friday, the clouds in the atmosphere are just about ideal for spectacular sunsets.

Yeah Tom, I remember those summer monsoonal rains in the Tucson area when I was going to school there. Spectacular quick forming afternoon thunderstorms, sometimes so violent and loud that it was deafening and shook almost like a small earthquake and the rain was so refreshing after a hot day. Doesn't the Tucson area get more of that than even the Phoenix area?

-Al in Kona

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Storms are rolling again over the Louisiana countryside. The contrast between the dark blue thunderclouds and vivid green of the now moisture rich trees is a beauty all to its own.

post-1207-1215475637.jpg

Disregard that dark streak across the left part. My piece of lint is back on the sensor. Arghhhhh!

post-1207-1215475637_thumb.jpg

Nice drop or two of rain lately but from tonight, there'll be some very cold weather for a few days, bbrrrr, come on spring.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We had a fairly warm and sunny day on the first, but since then it has rained almost constantly with daytime temperatures below average. July and August are usually our driest months, both averaging 41mm/1.6" rainfall, but we are currently at 43.2mm/1.7" for July with plenty more rain forecast. We don't tend to get very heavy rain often, not like the 50mm/2" in a weekend that others here see, but we have been getting 5mm/0.4"+ most days falling over a period of several hours.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Northern California is entering its 2nd day of a heat wave. The high here yesterday was 105F (41C) and it's supposed to be hotter today and the next few days. There has been no measureable rain here since Feb, and we can't expect any until Sept. or Oct......if we are lucky. We are under drought conditions and there are still dozens of forest fires in N. Calif. The atmosphere is hazy with smoke and no matter which way the breeze blows, we get the haze since there are fires all around us.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yeah Tom, I remember those summer monsoonal rains in the Tucson area when I was going to school there. Spectacular quick forming afternoon thunderstorms, sometimes so violent and loud that it was deafening and shook almost like a small earthquake and the rain was so refreshing after a hot day. Doesn't the Tucson area get more of that than even the Phoenix area?

-Al in Kona

yeah al tuscon gets more rain and is a little cooler in summer and winter. They get 2+" a month in july and usgust monsoon season and phoenix gets about an inch a month. When we are in the monsoon and the coulds are there the sunsets are spectacular. Last night was purple, fluorescent pink and orange with many miles of view across the sky. No thunder or rain yet, but I understand that comes thursday/friday with a cooldown to the low 100's. I have seen the temps plunge during a rain, up to almost 30 degrees F in 20 minutes.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We don't tend to get very heavy rain often, not like the 50mm/2" in a weekend that others here see, but we have been getting 5mm/0.4"+ most days falling over a period of several hours.

I was obviously talking crap, when I posted the previous comment. So far, today alone, we have had 43.4mm/1.71" of rain, which is more than our average for the whole of July and puts us over double our normal July rainfall since the start of the month. The rain is forecast to continue at least until the end of the week.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

It sure did get dry around here....again. Last months rains are now a distant memory.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Finally, after a week of sweltering weather, I feel a cool breeze coming in from San Francisco Bay this morning. Two days reached 110F (43C) and the last 6 were at least 100+F (+38C). Normally when it gets that hot I can expect some foliage burn on some of my palms, usually Tracheycarpus. So far I can detect no foliage burn, but we have been under a light shroud of smoke from the forest fires, and it has acted like a screen.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It sure did get dry around here....again. Last months rains are now a distant memory.

I received 1.28in/32.5mm in NW Tampa yesterday. My total for July as of today is 6.75in/171.4mm. The next four days look to be wet.

Keith,

Nice picture. I love skies like that. This past week when I was up in Roraima I ran into some simlar scenes. It is rainy season north of the Equator.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

"Just a little rain last night"...starting at 10pm some moisture moved in from the Gulf...and it poured, and poured, ....and poured more. Total from 10p to 6am was 7.10" with 2.32 in one 30 minute period! After missing the storms the past few days, it sure made up for it. This has been a rainy season for sure with 1 1/2 feet of rain since June 9th. The reports are flooding in all low lying areas, and we are prepared for heavy rains here. Rain came in my garage from the side yard and that has only happened a few times in 20 years. Just a few inches on the floor. I am sure ALL fertilizer is washed in now! Anyone else share in this bounty in Tampa Bay? Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

"Just a little rain last night"...starting at 10pm some moisture moved in from the Gulf...and it poured, and poured, ....and poured more. Total from 10p to 6am was 7.10" with 2.32 in one 30 minute period! After missing the storms the past few days, it sure made up for it. This has been a rainy season for sure with 1 1/2 feet of rain since June 9th. The reports are flooding in all low lying areas, and we are prepared for heavy rains here. Rain came in my garage from the side yard and that has only happened a few times in 20 years. Just a few inches on the floor. I am sure ALL fertilizer is washed in now! Anyone else share in this bounty in Tampa Bay? Greg

Greg-

I too shared in the bounty, but not to the same degree as you. Acording to my Davis Vantage Pro weather station, in the same period you are talking about last night/this AM, I logged 2.67". Since June 9th, I have logged 12.04". The total for 2008 thus far is 27.78".

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Another 2.46" yesterday......it seems like its never going to stop raining! The forecasts are calling for a few more days of storms as well.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Yes, it rained yesterday, storms, several times with nearly 2", and more this morning and evening. I have surpassed 20" now in 5 weeks and I feel like its the jungle. We could really use some sunny days! Everything is growing, especially the heliconia and potted palms. Greg in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We have settled into our normal summer pattern. Sunny mornings, cloudy afternoons, rains 2 or 3 times a week. Lots of heat and humidity. Got to love it if you are a palm, a gardnerer, or a fisherman. Most of my friends are whining. They can't understand why I just smile.

The rain just keeps falling here. We had 50mm of rain, then two cool nights down to 6C then more rain and warmer temps with lows of 17C. We just had another 30mm and it is clear again, nights down to 11C maybe tonight. The soil is absolutely sodden. Hopefully we won't get too many cool nights. It is certainly a wet year here.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The dry season has set in with the rain become sparse and heat constant.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

dk

Dry season already? I am still confused with your dry and wet season, Don... We are still in the dry season here... cold and dry!! Well, as cold as the tropics could be.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

dk

Dry season already? I am still confused with your dry and wet season, Don... We are still in the dry season here... cold and dry!! Well, as cold as the tropics could be.

Ari, you crack me up!

Middle of winter and these are your temps...cold??? hahahahaha

34.7C is 94F!

post-42-1216297030_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Hey.. anything below 20deg C is cold!! You should know, you used to live here :mrlooney: . Besides, we are in the rural area here, a bit inland... so a bit colder than Darwin city in general.

Well, at least we haven't seen single digit yet... Hopefully not this year... not this year :lol: .

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

Here in our area it is summer when the rest of Brazil is in winter, that is the equatorial zone. Just north of the equator in Roraima it is now winter even though it is the northern hemisphere summer. Summer here means less rain and more sun. So, from now through October the day time highs will be somewhere from 32C to 40C. The hottest temperatures are in the end of August and the month of September when it is from 38 C to 40 C everyday. But, the night time temperatures are always between 22C and 24 C. I posted some graphs on the thread about the highest night time lows which compared many cities, I think I included Darwin. The temperatures reflected in the weather report for Manaus do not reflect the real temperatures in town though. It may say 36 C, but the real temperature in the city around 40 C. The rainy season is the cooler time of year as the rain moderates the temperature. It rained a lot this year, so I am sort of happy to see it dry out a bit. It is election year for the city government so they have the streets ripped up all over town making long overdue repairs. So, there is dust all over the place now as well. At least that is a change from mud. Now if they just get the holes fixed by the rainy season that will be good.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Of course... your climate would be very close to Java, where I grow up. 'Doh!! I have been away for too long. Thank you again.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's Winter here in Costa Rica. Well, geographically speaking it is really Summer, but they call this Winter since it's the rainy season. We're getting heavy rains every evening and temperatures are much cooler (I even use a lightweight blanket to sleep this time of year!). The rains will get continually worse until September/October (which I dread) when it can rain for days on end. By November I am sick of the rain and I'm ready for the start of Summer which starts in December and runs through April here. Then by April, I'm tired of the heat and dust and I'm ready for it to start raining again. I feel like there is a change of seasons here, so it gives you something to look forward to!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica