IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Montana Weather Records of the 20th Century

amazondk

My dad sent me this information from the Weather Service about weather events in Montana my home state. Maybe this has something to do with why I like it in the tropics. Montana is a great place and I hope to get up there the last part of August. A few of these events I remember. As I kid I can remember gong to school in the morning with the temperature around 40 F and by the time I came home in the afternoon it was 15 F or more below zero. The weather along the Eastern Front of the Rockies can be real abrupt and extreme. It is a beautiful place though.

dk

National Weather Service

Unveils Montana's Top Ten

Weather/Water/Climate

Events of the 20th Century

Editor's Note: As the century draws to a close, staff at the National Weather Service offices in Montana have reviewed records of major weather events to affect the state over the past 100 years. Based on impacts to people, property and the economy, the National Weather Service has chosen the top ten weather-related events to impact Montana in ascending order. Choosing among the numerous 20th century weather events was a difficult task. And many of the events did not impact Montana alone. Some of these events were widespread, impacting other parts of the western United States. You will also note that some of the larger events are recent. This is because record keeping has improved in the latter half of the century, while urbanization in the state has increased the economic impacts of severe storms and floods.

Local media wishing to discuss Montana's top weather events of the century should contact the Warning Coordination Meteorologist, Rick Dittmann at the numbers listed below.

Top Ten Montana Weather Events of the 20th Century

#10). July 5, 1937. The temperature topped out at 117F at Medicine Lake in northeastern Montana. This tied the all-time high temperature for Montana previously established at Glendive on July 20, 1893 Combined with the -70F at Roger's Pass in 1954 (#6), this makes the all-time temperature range recorded in Montana 187F. This is the most extreme temperature range experienced in any of the 50 United States.

#9). January 11, 1980. The temperature at the Great Falls International Airport rose from -32F to 15F in seven minutes as warm, Chinook winds eroded an Arctic airmass. This 47 degree rise in seven minutes stands as the record for the most rapid temperature change registered in the United States.

#8). December 14, 1924. The temperature at Fairfield, Montana (about 20 miles WNW of Great Falls), dropped from 63F at noon to -21F at midnight. This 84 degree change in 12 hours still stands as the greatest 12 hour temperature change recorded in the United States.

#7). April 25-26, 1969. A late season storm brought a drastic change in weather to eastern Montana. A day after numerous stations registered their highest temperature for the month (many in the 80s), a cold front swept through Montana bringing blizzard conditions to much of the eastern half of the state. Temperatures fell more than 50 degrees in 24 hours with wind chill readings well below zero for nearly 48 hours.

Snowfall amounts of over 1 foot were widespread with higher amounts including a 32 inch tally reported near Sonnette. Wind whipped the fresh snow into drifts reported to be over 20 feet high in places. Power and phone lines were knocked out. Utility lines downed over a 12 county area resulted in losses of nearly $2 million (1998 dollars). Some residents of southeastern Montana were without power for two weeks and without telephone service for over a month. Over 100,000 sheep, horses and cattle were lost with cost in today's dollars tallying well over $10 million.

#6). January 20, 1954. The temperature at Roger's Pass, Montana, (about 25 miles NW of Helena) dropped to -70F (not a wind chill). This still stands as the coldest temperature ever recorded in the lower 48 United States.

#5). January 23, 1916. An Arctic cold front slammed through Browning, Montana, dropping the temperature from 44F to -56F in 24 hours. This 100 degree change stands as the most dramatic temperature change ever recorded in 24 hours in the United States.

#4). January 30 through February 4, 1989. A bitterly cold Arctic air mass invaded the northern Rockies bringing record cold temperatures and extreme wind chills to Montana. Ahead of the front, on January 30th, downslope winds gusted to 100 mph at Shelby, 102 mph at Cut Bank, 114 mph in Augusta, 117 mph at Browning and 124 mph at Choteau Twelve empty railroad cars were blown over in Shelby. Elsewhere, roofs were blown off homes, mobile homes were rolled over or torn apart and numerous trees and power lines were blown down.

With the passing of the Arctic front on the 31st, temperatures dropped dramatically. In Helena, the temperature remained colder than -20F for 84 hours (three and a half days) including a record low, -33F, on the fourth. Wind chill values during this period dropped to -75F. The cold caused the brakes to fail on a freight train. The train then rolled, uncontrolled, into Helena and exploded causing extensive damage to Carroll College.

In Billings, record lows were established for 5 consecutive days. Bozeman set record lows for four consecutive days. In Missoula, record lows of -22F and -23F were established on the 2nd and the 3rd, respectively. Wisdom, Montana, saw the mercury drop to -52F on February 3rd.

As the cold front moved through Great Falls on January 31st, the temperature dropped from 54F to -23F (a 67F change) and did not rise to above -20F until February 4th. This included two record low temperatures (-35F and -33F) on the 3rd and 4th.

Between January 30th and February 5th, four people lost their lives with damage estimates well into the tens of millions of dollars.

#3). June 22, 1938. Torrential rain-producing thunderstorms caused flash flooding on the Yellowstone, Musselshell and Sun Rivers. But, the worst flooding occurred downstream of the Bear's Paw Mountains near Havre.

More than 5 inches of rain fell in the Gravelly Coulee watershed in one hour creating a wall of water which rushed out of the foothills, traveled 10 miles and still managed to erode two miles of Great Northern Railroad track near Laredo. Farther east, nearly $500,000 damage (nearly $4.5 million in today's dollars) occurred in Havre as the normally dry Bull Hook Creek spread a half mile wide on its route through the center of town. Two inches of rain fell in Zurich in one hour with 3.55 inches falling during the early part of the night. At least 8 people lost their lives as a consequence of the flash flooding. Farther south, in Fort Benton, 27 small bridges were washed out. The Carter Ferry was swamped and sank near the banks of the Missouri River.

#2). 12:34 A.M. June 19, 1938. Tremendous rains over the Prairie County Highlands north of Terry, Montana, produced a flash flood which roared down Custer Creek and into the Yellowstone River. The wall of water weakened or destroyed a railroad trestle just before an 11-car passenger train of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul Railroad Company known as the "Olympian," crossed.

The train, moving at full speed, ran head-on into the far bank of Custer Creek. Of the 140 people on board, 49 perished and 65 were injured. Some of the bodies were carried 130 miles downstream to Sydney, Montana.

#1). Saturday June 6, 1964. A slow moving line of thunderstorms brought torrential rains to the Rocky Mountain Front of western Montana. Record 24 hour rainfall amounts of 8 to 14 inches fell along the east slopes of the Continental Divide. Near the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, Gibson Reservoir received enough inflow to fill it two and a half times. The dam is 195.5 feet tall and contains 99,057 acre-feet of water when full. Water flowing out of Gibson Dam flows into the Sun River. The Sun River runs southeast toward Great Falls where it empties into the Missouri. Typically, the flow of the Missouri would cause a backwater on the Sun River. On June 9th and 10th, however, the flood wave of the Sun caused the Missouri to back up, flooding the Meadowlark Golf Course and the Country Club Addition. Nearly 3000 people were evacuated from western Great Falls as 10 to 12 feet of water spread over the area. Advance warning, however, helped prevent any loss of life.

Farther north, the rain continued through Sunday, June 7th. In Glacier National Park, the torrents caused Divide Creek to spill its banks. Logjams were releasing periodic flash floods. Scores of tourists were stranded in campgrounds and lodges as all communications and power were knocked out. Downstream, more than 30 people lost their lives on the Blackfoot Reservation.

Tributaries of the Marias River saw several irrigation dams breech. Along Birch Creek, a flood wave devastated the Birch Creek Valley with a 20 foot high wall of water destroying any buildings and bridges in its path. 19 people lost their lives there.

The dam on Lower Two Medicine River also failed releasing a flood wave which claimed 9 more people.

At least 58 people were killed by the torrential rain and the resultant flooding and flash flooding.

Honorable Mentions

2nd Runner up July 21, 1997. A line of thunderstorms pushed through northwest Montana during the late afternoon and evening hours of July 21, 1997. In a period of 15 minutes (615 PM - 630 PM), property damage in excess of $1.5 million and two injuries occurred in Libby.

Wind gusts estimated at 80 mph, accompanied by marble sized-hail at times, snapped off or uprooted numerous trees, including Willow, Cottonwood, and Spruce trees. Power poles were snapped off four to five feet above the ground. Almost every street in the town was blocked by fallen trees. Damage included the downed trees, roof and window damage to homes and businesses, damage to vehicles, blocked roads, loss of the chlorinator for the city water system and loss of the lift pump for the sewer system. The Red Cross estimated 20 homes with major damage and 70 homes with minor damage within the city limits.

1st Runner upThe winter of 1936. No single event can be justifiably used to represent the length and harshness of this winter. January was colder than normal with three fatalities reported. In February, the 111-station 42 year mean temperature was 224F colder than normal. Temperatures dropped to -53F at Summit (west of the Continental Divide) on the 13th, -57F at Cascade (15 miles west of Great Falls) on the 15th and -59F at Frazer and Glasgow on the 15th. Feed and fuel were scarce, water supplies froze, schools were closed and 15 lives were lost. While March saw an overall average temperature, the month ended with well below readings. On the 30th, readings dropped to -29F at Summit, -28F at Chessman Reservoir and -20F at Red Lodge and Sahara. Winter's grip held through early April with temperatures bottoming out at -24F at Pleasant Valley on the 2nd and -28F at Chessman Reservoir on the 1st.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

What a great Post! Having spent a little time in neighboring Wyoming,The Extremes experienced in that part of the US are more than loco.The beauty is astounding.Thank you.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

I am glad you enjoyed the information. Extremes is the best descrption for the weather in this part of the USA for sure. There are not big tornados, hurricanes, or other such events. But, the weather can change so quickly and dramtically. In the winter it is hard to tell what kind of weather you will have. One day you can go out with no coat and the next minute is below zero. I remember seeing 60s F in February and a short time later below zero. In the 80's I was up there once with my kids in August and it snowed enough in Great Falls for them to make snowmen. For kids living in Fort Lauderdale this was a real treat. The week before it was 105 F. Some of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen have been along the eastern front of the Rockies as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ah, Montana. I used to live there when I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls. What a beautiful state. I remember taking trips up to Glacier National Park. The mountains on the front range seem to rise abruptly from the plains to great heights. We used to just drive around the state exploring the beautiful mountain scenery. I also can remeber it being both -30F and 102F in the same year. Monotony never set in, in winter, because you could always count on a Chinook wind to come in and warm things up (relatively speaking), even after the most brutal arctic front. It's actually much more mild there than the rest of the northern tier states (ND, Minn, etc.). They stay cold all winter, MT does not. I sure enjoyed my stay there.

Bubba,

I am glad you enjoyed the information. Extremes is the best descrption for the weather in this part of the USA for sure. There are not big tornados, hurricanes, or other such events. But, the weather can change so quickly and dramtically. In the winter it is hard to tell what kind of weather you will have. One day you can go out with no coat and the next minute is below zero. I remember seeing 60s F in February and a short time later below zero. In the 80's I was up there once with my kids in August and it snowed enough in Great Falls for them to make snowmen. For kids living in Fort Lauderdale this was a real treat. The week before it was 105 F. Some of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen have been along the eastern front of the Rockies as well.

dk

Thanks DK, very interesting reading for us in Hawaii. Have a brotha who married a Great Falls girl and they live there. He has mentioned the extremes that sometimes take place there. Apparently this spring they had a very late killing frost that left many trees dead or questionable whether they will ever come back or not. If it wasn't for the warm Chinooks that give them relief from the winter cold I don't think he'd stay there.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

It looks like that freeze killed the lodgepole pine that I brought in from the forest at my parents place when I was about 6 years old. At least it has not come back to life yet.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Very cool post Don. The temperature swings were the most amazing thing to me. 187F difference between the Montana state record high and low; 47F change in 7 minutes; 84F change in 12 hours; 100F change in 24 hours. That blows my mind.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Steve,

There is a saying, which is not exclusive to Montana, but very fitting; If you do not like the weather wait a minute. Here is a picture my father sent me from a June snow storm in Great Falls. Shortly aftewards the weather went back to summer.

dk

post-188-1216207164_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Cool picture Don. Tough to imagine a June snow storm here. Even when I lived in Michigan we didn't get that. I think the latest on record there is May 2? How common is a June snow storm in Montana not including extreme altitude areas?

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Steve,

It is a pretty rare event. But, as you can see it does happen. I have seen it snow in August. And, snow enough to cover the ground and my kids made snowmen. Since we were living in Fort Lauderdale at the time that was a real treat for them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg