IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Latest forecasts - some Aussie FMs

Walter John

To highlight how varied the weather here can be, here's a listing of weather forecasts for many of the forum members from Australia.

Col of Kiama, NSW,

Friday

Fine, sunny

Min 10°C

Max 17°C

Saturday

Fine and mostly sunny

Min 9°C

Max 18°C

Sunday

Fine

Min 10°C

Max 19°C

Monday

Fine

Min 10°C

Max 20°C

Daryl and Mike of Gold Coast, QLD.

Friday

Fine

Min 8°C

Max 22°C

Saturday

Fine

Min 8°C

Max 22°C

Sunday

Fine

Min 12°C

Max 23°C

Monday

Mostly fine

Min 12°C

Max 24°C

Wal and Brod of Brisbane, QLD.

Friday

Fine

Min 7°C

Max 22°C

Saturday

Fine

Min 9°C

Max 22°C

Sunday

Fine

Min 10°C

Max 23°C

Monday

Fine

Min 11°C

Max 24°C

Clayton of Sunshine Coast, QLD

Friday

Fine

Min 8°C

Max 22°C

Saturday

Fine

Min 9°C

Max 22°C

Sunday

Fine

Min 8°C

Max 23°C

Monday

Mostly fine

Min 9°C

Max 24°C

Mikey and Michael of Cairns and coastal district, QLD.

Friday

Mainly fine

Min 19°C

Max 27°C

Saturday

Shower or two

Min 19°C

Max 27°C

Sunday

Showers from aftern'n

Min 20°C

Max 26°C

Monday

Cloudy,showers at night

Min 19°C

Max 25°C

Ari of Darwin, NT.

Friday

Fine and sunny

Min 18°C

Max 31°C

Saturday

Fine and sunny

Min 20°C

Max 31°C

Sunday

Fine, mostly sunny

Min 21°C

Max 32°C

Monday

Fine, mostly sunny

Min 21°C

Max 32°C

Tyronne and Jason of Perth and South of Perth, WA.

Friday

Showery periods

Min 10°C

Max 19°C

Saturday

Showers increasing later

Min 10°C

Max 18°C

Sunday

Few showers clearing

Min 9°C

Max 17°C

Monday

Fine

Min 3°C

Max 16°C

Troy and Nomolos of Tasmania, this is Hobart’s forecast btw.

Friday

Mainly fine

Min 5°C

Max 12°C

Saturday

Fine

Min 5°C

Max 14°C

Sunday

Mainly fine

Min 7°C

Max 14°C

Monday

Shower or two

Min 8°C

Max 15°C

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

The real differences are that the top temperature for us only lasts a few hours, the opposite for you where your minimum only lasts a few hours. It is really about how long the cold lasts, oh for some long hot days. Luckily being so close to the ocean prevents freezes.

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I am getting tired of listening to weather forecast in Darwin.... Sunny... mostly sunny... fine... etc etc etc. The temperature is pleasant though... but I miss the rain!! Besides, here in the rural area of Darwin, we have been getting less than 15 deg nights. 2 morning ago, it was so cold... the whole family have to wear jumpers. Luckily, we only had a few nights of single digit :blink: .

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I wish my forecast went

24-32 nightly showers, clear days

Am I asking for too much??? :winkie:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That is called the build up here, Daryl... except the temperature is just a tad higher :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Except for one 3C reading in Perth, I don't see any killing temps, and you guys have it pretty good. I'd be happy if 3C was my lowest temp. in the winter. That would be a very warm winter in N. Calif. Can you guys expect even cooler temps. in July, Aug?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Except for one 3C reading in Perth, I don't see any killing temps, and you guys have it pretty good. I'd be happy if 3C was my lowest temp. in the winter. That would be a very warm winter in N. Calif. Can you guys expect even cooler temps. in July, Aug?

Dick

Definitely will get down to 3 and lower for Tasmania and probably South West Western Australia. Here in Brisbane, and the two coasts will get lower temps but for only short amount of time as Col pointed out. It warms up quickly here in my neck of the woods and the days are glorious.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I remember -5 deg C mornings in Launceston, Tasmania and -2 deg C nights in Melbourne.... which makes me glad that I am here in Darwin :winkie:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Dick

Far from killing temperatures the following palms are opening leaves here in June in temperatures overnight 8-10 and daily 14-18C

Rhopalostylis sapida

Phoenix canariensis

Phoenix roebellenii

a number of different species of Chamaedorea, but slowly

Ravanea glauca

Howeas [ both]

Hedyscepe

So far its been pretty mild. Fingers crossed . Lowest in last 5 years recorded in my back yard was +2C

The only palms I have lost due to cold are Pritchardia pacifica. But then, I am not a rampant zone pusher [anymore]

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Sounds like winter is a Great time Downunder! Hard to believe when it is so Hot here.I am sure you get a crack out of the serious moaning you hear from us Northern folk around January!

What you look for is what is looking

Yeah, all the moaning happens in winter...I could never moan about hot weather.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Port we have had some pretty cold nights for the last couple of days. Thurday morning got down to 3C in the garden and Friday morning 1C, the highs have been 16C. Its 3.15pm and the outside temp is 13C. Atleast for the most part the soil is on the dry side so not to concerned, certainly not like last year with very wet soil and cold temps.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I heard Darwin got down to 15 degrees !!!, Kmart would have run out of coat and jumper sales with those temps.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

When hearing about the lows so far up north, realised how lucky the garden has only had a low of 8c so far, my son lives 2 klms away, 1klm further inland and had 1 cm thick of ice on his car for the first time ever last week. we where 8c warmer, micro climates are everything when pushing boundaries

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Yeah Col, we are having a cr@ppy cold blast here too. I almost dragged out the heater last night. Minimum of 5C this morning..coldest this year. I hope it doesn't get any colder! Especially as our soil is saturated from last week's rain.

Daryl

14deg nights for the last few nights now... Freezing for us in the tropics. No more night watering for me. I still have the heater from my Brisbane years (came in the container from my storage in Brisbane), and I was debating to dig it up from the shed.... I hope we won't have single digit nights this year.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

50cm of snow in 24 hrs at Charlotte Pass- not a bad drop. Hopefully will help the ailing Murray River.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Some cool pics of snow falling in the main street of Uralla, a highland town in NSW (about 1000m)

btw Daryl your Titans gave the Roosters a shock.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Some cool pics of snow falling in the main street of Uralla, a highland town in NSW (about 1000m)

btw Daryl your Titans gave the Roosters a shock.

Phil,

I reckon it is cold enough outside to snow! Anyway, Go the Titans! A surprising win...

Daryl

The nice warm winter had to finish sooner or later ...brrrrrrrr

its down to 14 here , lower nearby 11.5 in Sth. Johnstone .. at least it will climb back up to the low 20's this arvo'.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a lovely 21C day today after a 12 or 13C min. Minimums have been climbing steadily from the two nights in a row of 0.7C we had back in June. My Dwarf Malay has pushed about 15mm of spear in the last week. I think we're moving slowly out of the coldest stretch of winter. Everything is still looking great. My Arenga pinnata has just opened up a nice big fond, and my Areca catechu is in the process of opening a new frond. I can't wait for the first 28C day in spring though. That could be 5 or 6 weeks away yet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone

Did you have to send your cold weather, 9c at 11.00 am do not ever remember that before. what makes it worse is the rain, getting nervous my pots of palms outside in the open.

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Bloody freezing here and damp in the pots so I placed them in the garage and they can stay there till Saturday out of the cold night air, and cold day air for that matter. Plus it's going to be extreme dry air as well.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's cold here too Wal, its only 10C at 11pm. The worst thing is the ground is very saturated. We have been averaging 50mm of rain a week all through July. Not good for the more tropical species. I just hope Wednesday night's forecast is wrong! Time to keep warm and watch that old Who concert on SBS.

Daryl

Hang in there guys. You sure are getting whacked with cold but it will be over soon. I think you've had the same antarctic blast we had a few days ago, but we weren't as cold as you at that late time of the day.

We're just getting westerlies with rain and the occasional lull period where it is totally still. Pretty wet, but not overly cold. Tomorrow night will be a cracker with a cold front and unstable atmosphere following which could bring hail. I'm not looking forward to it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It is bad if everyone from the tropics is complaining, including me!! I have just about enough of this cold nights. Yes, during the day it is absolutely gorgeous 28-31 deg dry heat with cool breeze. But as soon as the sun goes down, it is bloody freezing. Thank goodness it was only 1 night that it went down to single digit.

You can see the plants are stagnant. Nothing... no growth... nothing. I can't wait till it is warming up again and plants are growing like mad.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Give it a few days and you'll be fine again Ari. I think Mr Sun is on the way back down from the tropic of cancer now and he passes through your area first on his way down to the tropic of capricorn, so give him my regards when he comes to say hello, and put in a good word for me and everyone in the south. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Give it a few days and you'll be fine again Ari. I think Mr Sun is on the way back down from the tropic of cancer now and he passes through your area first on his way down to the tropic of capricorn, so give him my regards when he comes to say hello, and put in a good word for me and everyone in the south. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Mr Sun visited here today. It was 28C at home under the patio, and over most of SE QLD. Roll on spring! Too bad it will be cooler tomorrow.

Daryl