IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing palm trees in Scandinavia!!

norwegian

Hi everybody! This is my first post to the forum here :) I come from Norway and believe it or not we got palms trees up here too! Trachycarpus fortunei and Chamaerops humilis are among the most popular palms to grow in our cold climate. I have made a website about growing palm trees in Scandinavia - hope the page can inspire some of you that grow hardy palm trees worldwide.

Scanpalm - Everything about palms in Scandinavia

There is also a new forum on the page that you may participate in, many interesting topics. :)

Scanpalm - discussion board

Hei Thomas,

och velkommen til IPS Forumet - vi vill ha flere medlemmer i Skandinavien!

I looked at your site. Very nice video! And lots of great information. Took a quick look at your forum as well, and will go back to check it out in more detail tomorrow (we're going some place in about 15 minutes, so my time is limited right now). I hope you'll be a regular contributor here. Lots of other people from cooler, or colder, places, even though you and a few of your fellow Norwegians in all likelihood are the northernmost PalmTalk members. Are you also in the Kristiansand area?

Aloha fra Hawaii!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thomas,

Great site you got going. You certainly like a challenge, but the challenge is what brings gardeners together. Good to have you on board here. I will visit your site regularly as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Way cool Thomas. No pun intended. Many people here want to know the limits of palm growing and you have shown some new ones. I am sure there will be more questions and requests as well as offers of palms to you to see if they will grow there. It would be great to have you as a regular poster!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hello & wellcome norvegian,

Here is a quote from your website:

Scandinavia has a much milder climate than other areas on the same latitude, because of the warm water of the Gulf Stream. The very mildest areas (the coast of Sunnmøre) can actually be classed up to USDA zone 9A.

....and that is quite an interesting fact.

Thanks, for presenting your website!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Thank you all for your nice comments and positive feedback! :) It certainly is a challenge growing palm trees up here in the north. I do not live in the Kristiansand area, but in Ålesund on the west coast of Norway which is situated on latitude 62,5N. I believe this is the northernmost possible to grow palms as the coast further north gets colder fast. USDA zone 9 is correct, it never gets really cold here - but on the other side it never gets really warm in the summer over a long period.

Thank you all for your nice comments and positive feedback! :) It certainly is a challenge growing palm trees up here in the north. I do not live in the Kristiansand area, but in Ålesund on the west coast of Norway which is situated on latitude 62,5N. I believe this is the northernmost possible to grow palms as the coast further north gets colder fast. USDA zone 9 is correct, it never gets really cold here - but on the other side it never gets really warm in the summer over a long period.

Norwegian!

You are, as we say, AWESOME!

Ahem. Pushing boundaries, all of that.

So, do you get frost frequently? If not, try Rhopalistylus sapida or baueri, or even if yes try them anyway.

PICTURES!

Seriously!

PICTURES.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thomas,

Yes, pictures would definitely be of interest! And you're in Ålesund - wow, that's impressive! For those who havn't gone thru the trouble of looking at a map, Ålesund is further north than the south tip of Greenland. It is also further north than Anchorage, AK! About USDA zone 9: there's an additional aspect that I'm sure makes it quite a challenge to grow palms in Ålesund at latitude 62.5N. If I'm not mistaken, Houston TX and New Orleans LA are also in USDA zone 9, but they are at latitude 30N! The difference in daylight hours during the winter between 30N and 62N is mindboggling, which means that during Dec-Feb the sun just barely gets up above the horizon at lat 62N, and for a very short time. Doesn't give it time to warm up much of anything. The good news of course is the Gulfstream, which is close by, and provides for relatively mild winters. So, I'm really curious, are there any palms in Ålesund that have survived outdoors for any length of time?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thomas,

Yes, pictures would definitely be of interest! And you're in Ålesund - wow, that's impressive! For those who havn't gone thru the trouble of looking at a map, Ålesund is further north than the south tip of Greenland. It is also further north than Anchorage, AK! About USDA zone 9: there's an additional aspect that I'm sure makes it quite a challenge to grow palms in Ålesund at latitude 62.5N. If I'm not mistaken, Houston TX and New Orleans LA are also in USDA zone 9, but they are at latitude 30N! The difference in daylight hours during the winter between 30N and 62N is mindboggling, which means that during Dec-Feb the sun just barely gets up above the horizon at lat 62N, and for a very short time. Doesn't give it time to warm up much of anything. The good news of course is the Gulfstream, which is close by, and provides for relatively mild winters. So, I'm really curious, are there any palms in Ålesund that have survived outdoors for any length of time?

Bo-Göran

If you want to see pictures than check out the scanpalm photogallery:

Scanpalm - Photogallery

At the darkest day in december the sun gets only about 4degrees above the horizon, so it's practically gone... it's the warm waters of the gulf stream that makes everything possible! :) My palms date back to the summer 2004 and they do fine without any heating, only some shed for the wind in the winter.

So check out the photogallery!

Thomas, welcome to Palmtalk. Great pictures. I see you grow cactus outdoors, too.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Awesome websote you put up. You obviously put a lot of work into it. Congratulations. It is amazing where palms will grow. Not sure i would try a pigaffeta just yet, but with global warming, you never know.....

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hello Thomas.

Congratulations for the excelent website!!!

Some people here would never belive that palms grow in Norway.- I have seen the website before, its greath information about what you can grow there.-

Im favorably impressed that our Trithrinax campestris grow fine there, near Oslo city if i undestand well that its where they are beeing cultivated as big imported palms.-

Try more and more, they never fail and will give nice mutitrunked palms to the skandinavian scenary.-

I usually see skandinavian tourist people around here lately, but they arent interested watch the palms trees of the mountains, i think that not many people in your countries know that can grow many species in their yards and your website give a lot of information.-

We can make an exchange, sendus the nice ladies that live in Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and i sendyou Trithrinax campestris palms trees :-)

I think they can be addapted to our temperate and dry climate :-)))))

Cheers from Cordoba, Argentina.

Gaston Torres Vera

Those are great pictures.

fotogalleri.JPG

Want to try some King Palms?

I've got oodles of seed . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Welcome! And I thought growing C rendas in South Florida was a challenge! :winkie:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hello Thomas.

Congratulations for the excelent website!!!

Some people here would never belive that palms grow in Norway.- I have seen the website before, its greath information about what you can grow there.-

Im favorably impressed that our Trithrinax campestris grow fine there, near Oslo city if i undestand well that its where they are beeing cultivated as big imported palms.-

Try more and more, they never fail and will give nice mutitrunked palms to the skandinavian scenary.-

I usually see skandinavian tourist people around here lately, but they arent interested watch the palms trees of the mountains, i think that not many people in your countries know that can grow many species in their yards and your website give a lot of information.-

We can make an exchange, sendus the nice ladies that live in Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and i sendyou Trithrinax campestris palms trees :-)

I think they can be addapted to our temperate and dry climate :-)))))

Cheers from Cordoba, Argentina.

Gaston Torres Vera

There are no Thrithrinax around the Oslo area, those that have been planted out are close to Stavanger. I agree, not many Scandinavians know that they can grow palm trees in their garden - in fact many has not even considered the idea at all of having something else than the standard northern bushes and trees.

Today I bought myself a Butia capitata, will plant it in my garden tomorrow!! And I thinking about buying a Washingtonia filifera too! I will of course upload photos the scanpalm photogallery.

In the meantime, the scanpalm photogallery has received photos from other exotic gardeners in Denmark - you may wanna take a look at

Scanpalm - Silkeborg photos

Scanpalm - Lyngby photos (garden with a big Jubaea chilensis!)

Thomas,

Nice photos from Denmark, and seeing palms in snow is definitely a different look! It would seem that some of those Trachycarpus are very carefully planted close to a wall, that's presumably facing south. I'm curious, where would you buy a Butia capitata when you live in Ålesund? And what size is it?

And, as you've probably already noticed, I registered on the Scanpalm forum a few hours ago. :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran