IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

June 2008 Weather Thread

Daryl

It looks like here on the equator it is cooler than many less tropical places. Right now at 1221 PM it is only 79 F / 26 C. The sun has come out so that may change soon.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

In Northern Calif., this is without a doubt, the coolest and longest spring I can remember in over 30 years. My low this morning was 49F (9.4C) and we are only 2 weeks away from summer. We are about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than normal, and the days have been much milder than normal. Normally I would be swealtering in the day time heat. We are also in a drought and this spring was the dryest on record. The forcast is for a warming trend on the way, and I'm ready for it. All of my palms are at least a month behind normal blooming time.

Dick

Funny thing Dick, the extended cool spring here has led to fantastic growth rates, the best I've ever seen in my yard. Normally my butias are stalled by june due to the heat, but they are just cranking out new spears, almost one a week. My brahea armatas are exploding with multiple (near)simultaneous spears evolving. My syagrus may be growing the fastest of all, phenomenal. My largest sabals have put out 5-6 spears this year already. I just keep fertilizing with decomposed "odorless" fish fertilizer and humic acid/kelp solution every other week. My back yard smells like the ocean, no kidding. It looks like this summer will be much more gentle on the palms after last summers 32 days with highs att or above 110F.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom,Any Royal Poincianna's going off in your area yet?

Edited by bubba

What you look for is what is looking

(&(&(*&*))*, they are doing it again. Big thunderstorms building just 5 miles north and moving away to the North. I can see the (&(&(##% things out of my back window, purple skies. Meanwhile my water sprinkler runs constantly. I left it running all night in one spot and there wasn't even a puddle when I went out this morning. It is enough to drive a person, much less a plant, insane. Where is that bottle of Crown?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(&(&(*&*))*, they are doing it again. Big thunderstorms building just 5 miles north and moving away to the North. I can see the (&(&(##% things out of my back window, purple skies. Meanwhile my water sprinkler runs constantly. I left it running all night in one spot and there wasn't even a puddle when I went out this morning. It is enough to drive a person, much less a plant, insane. Where is that bottle of Crown?

Well Keith, it's Johnny Black here at Jackass Flatts, not Crown, but you are welcome to join me.....stuff is getting mighty dry here and sloppy just a mile to the south or north yesterday....so far the only wet season here will be with Mr. Walker. :blink:

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Keith,

I wish I could send you some moisture from here, but that is sort of hard to do. I am enjoying the nice humid evening with a few glasses of Jameson Irish Whiskey. The duty free store at the airport just got some in stock again so I could not resist.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Tom,Any Royal Poincianna's going off in your area yet?

I am not familiar with these trees, from what I gather they like humidity, which is in short supply here. I have desert willow(chilopsis linearis) that have exploded with their orchid like blooms, and of course palo verde, chaste trees and jacarandas are still in bloom. At this time of the year(dry/hot) season, all the flowering shrubs are filled out as well all around the area. THe weird weather has resulted in another round of rose blooms, even in suns exposed positions. The heat is coming on now, 102F yesterday, combined with the 12-15% RH, some of the best pool weather in the dry desert. We were drinking margaritas, mojitos, pina coladas in the pool yesterday, just soaking for hours not even aware of the heat. The water evaporation rates off skin keep you quite cool regardless of the temp, very different from back east with the humidity. When the humidity rises to 50% or so in the july/august monsoon season and temps are 105-108F, that will be a different story.

Tom Blank

Tom, As a Floridian, I greatly enjoy the "dry heat"of the Desert Southwest.My first exposure to it was when I was around 15 and my Dad took me to play in a Golf Tournament in San Diego in the Summer.San Diego was beautiful but cooler than I expected.After that,we were going to meet some friends in Phoenix.We drove and I remember stopping at Palm Springs and playing that Big Deal new course Mission Hills.(Home of the Dinah Shore) It was about 10:30 in the morning and the starter thought we were crazy.They paired us up with a couple of Hustlers.(one guy was the Bartender at the Palm Springs Tram)

It was about 105F but felt to us like 85F.I remember shooting even and we destroyed these two guys.They thought it was hot and we thought it was sunny and mild.Been back many times and love the courses.That stated,you do not really know heat until you have sweated.It is good for your health.

the heat machine is on. dew points in the 70's with highs in mid 90s and lows around 73. thundershowers pop up on the radar, I cn hear the thunder rumble in the distance.....its been a while since we have had a good rain.

avg this time of year is around 90/71

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

G'day, had a ok Long weekend. Was 20.3C (68.5F) on Sat, not bad for mid winter. Sun was a little cooler 18.1C (64.5F) and Monday today was 19.4C (67F) for mid winter is still ok, but still freezing. Lookis like it might be a warmer then average winter. Well June at least.

Will kep you all up to date

Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia 33s

border Sub-tropical/Warm Temperate

Temp Ranges 2C - 46C in city, -2C - 49C in the far metro west

It has been rather humid this weekend. So much for working around the garden. Got a few done though... putting in new irrigation line. No more hand watering for me... thank you, Scott :):) . Planted 2 euterpe oleracea we picked up from the market for $4 ea... talking about cheap!!! Might have to see whether they have any Areca catechu for similar price next week :mrlooney: . BTW, a bit out of topic now... it was rather overcast and humid, they were even talking about raining in June. Hhmmm... we shall see.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here in Atlanta, Georgia, June 2008 has been hot so far. We have been in the 90's for a week straight now with high dewpoints. Yesterday was 95/75 = 85 degrees. Our normal right now is 86/66 = 76.

But my palms are loving it! Just need some thunderstorms - they are supposed to pop up this week.

Phil

Phil in Marietta, GA z8a (ATL burbs)

Winter: 55/35=45

Spring: 73/51=62

Summer: 88/69=79

Autumn: 73/54=63

Averaging z8b over the last decade

It's 96f here right now at 1:00pm, going up to 98f.. same in store for the next few days with night temps only dropping to about 78-80f....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Tom, As a Floridian, I greatly enjoy the "dry heat"of the Desert Southwest.My first exposure to it was when I was around 15 and my Dad took me to play in a Golf Tournament in San Diego in the Summer.San Diego was beautiful but cooler than I expected.After that,we were going to meet some friends in Phoenix.We drove and I remember stopping at Palm Springs and playing that Big Deal new course Mission Hills.(Home of the Dinah Shore) It was about 10:30 in the morning and the starter thought we were crazy.They paired us up with a couple of Hustlers.(one guy was the Bartender at the Palm Springs Tram)

It was about 105F but felt to us like 85F.I remember shooting even and we destroyed these two guys.They thought it was hot and we thought it was sunny and mild.Been back many times and love the courses.That stated,you do not really know heat until you have sweated.It is good for your health.

Ironically Bubba, phoenix is called the "sweatiest city in the nation" by procter and gamble, and they have a point. You do sweat here alot, but it evaporates so quickly(cooling your skin in the process) that there is mostly no accumulation on the skin, its not obvious you are sweating. This leads you to think you arent sweating, but beware that water consumption is key to staying healthy here. I drink at least 8-10 12 oz galsses of water a day to prevent dehydration headaches(like a migrane, asprin doesnt help). When drinking alcohol, you have to be really careful to drink a full glass of water every 2 drinks or so as alcohol is a diuretic. This is expecially true at poolside in the sun. You can lose up to a quart of water an hour in hot direct sun, and that can lead to sunstroke in 4-5 hours without water. As far as workouts, I work out far more than when I lived in NJ. You can workout longer in the dry, but you must consume plenty of water. And in the winter as floridians know, its easier to work out in 60's and 70' than in the cold of the northeast. The trick in AZ is to work out in the mornings, especially if you run or bike outside. Working out in direct, hot arizona (mid day) sun will just destroy you as the sun heats you up quickly. It is also possible to drive 1 hour, gain 4000' in elevation and drop the ambient temps up to 30 degrees F. My summer vacation in august will be up in southern utah near bryce canyon national park(>8000 elevation). Up there in august, the daytime highs are in the high 60's. the same is true of the NORTH rim of the grand canyon, 8000+ ft elevation and rarely a day of even 75 degrees, fantastic hiking weather. If you do visit the canyon, go to the north rim, its 1500 ft higher in elevation and much nicer with 10x less tourists. The north rim is canadian boreal forrest(fir, spruce, aspen), the south rim is desert like(ponderosa pine) and not nearly as beautiful. Its strange how few people know this, even arizonans.

Tom Blank

Also,the ball travels alot further with the lack of Humidity.Most pro's will tell you nearly two clubs distance.Altitude does the same thing.I remember playing some time ago in Bogota,Colombia(circa 12,000 feet)and it went forever.

Also,the ball travels alot further with the lack of Humidity.Most pro's will tell you nearly two clubs distance.Altitude does the same thing.I remember playing some time ago in Bogota,Colombia(circa 12,000 feet)and it went forever.

Yeah altitude makes a big difference, and dry air is lighter, not as thick. Arnold palmer has a course at ~7000ft in tuscon. I'll bet between the dry and the altitude it makes a golfer feel a little like arnold.

Tom Blank

This is very rare for New York to be hotter than Florida in June - It happens frequently in July/August, but never in early June....... Check out this map...

post-57-1213038750_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,Got some friends who are unruly about it.They are ready to come back.

After looking at the weather patterns across the country, I was just wondering.. Does Seattle EVER get warm???

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Be careful what you wish for. I've been complaining about our chilly spring temps. Today the "official Temp" is 96F, but it's 102 F (39 C) in the shade in my back yard. I'm in N. Calif. More of the same expected for the next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Talk about adding insult to injury. Still no rain here. Cracks in the clay/loam are opening nearly 1/2" wide. I have had a sprinkler running in various places continuously since Friday. There have been spotty showers in the area, yet no rain here. To add insult to injury, as I pulled out of the driveway this morning I had traveled less than 500 feet north to see wet roads and rain puddles. A shower in the night passed just that close.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, I know how you feel. Lots of storms in my area yesterday with lots of thunder and I got a total of .08". Today we have another 50% chance of storms .

Extremely dry here for the month of June on the SE Florida coast. Ft. Lauderdale has seen only .81" of rain this entire month, when our average is about 9" for June. Today is cloudy, with 50% rain chance, but nothing yet. Bring on the rain---but hold the wind.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

104F yesterday, and its supposed to be 106F today, and somewhat dry(dewpoint 42F). This is more typical june weather, but the dewpoint is a little more than normal. Low only dropped to 70F last night, the highest low in a few weeks, but still nice in the mornings for a workout. Forecast has weds and thurs back down to 99F and friday at 103F. The pool is at 88F, very nice in the dry air, but soon it will be unusable in the high humidity(50%+ RH) monsoon as the pool temps go to 92F or so. While its still dry, I can run the pool waterfall overnight and knock the water temps back to 84 F with evaporative cooling, but that will not be possible in the july/august monsoon season. We had an inch of rain in may, so far nothing at all in june, not even a light drizzle.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Ironically Bubba, phoenix is called the "sweatiest city in the nation" by procter and gamble, and they have a point. You do sweat here alot, but it evaporates so quickly(cooling your skin in the process) that there is mostly no accumulation on the skin, its not obvious you are sweating. This leads you to think you arent sweating, but beware that water consumption is key to staying healthy here. I drink at least 8-10 12 oz galsses of water a day to prevent dehydration headaches(like a migrane, asprin doesnt help). When drinking alcohol, you have to be really careful to drink a full glass of water every 2 drinks or so as alcohol is a diuretic. This is expecially true at poolside in the sun. You can lose up to a quart of water an hour in hot direct sun, and that can lead to sunstroke in 4-5 hours without water. As far as workouts, I work out far more than when I lived in NJ. You can workout longer in the dry, but you must consume plenty of water. And in the winter as floridians know, its easier to work out in 60's and 70' than in the cold of the northeast. The trick in AZ is to work out in the mornings, especially if you run or bike outside. Working out in direct, hot arizona (mid day) sun will just destroy you as the sun heats you up quickly. It is also possible to drive 1 hour, gain 4000' in elevation and drop the ambient temps up to 30 degrees F. My summer vacation in august will be up in southern utah near bryce canyon national park(>8000 elevation). Up there in august, the daytime highs are in the high 60's. the same is true of the NORTH rim of the grand canyon, 8000+ ft elevation and rarely a day of even 75 degrees, fantastic hiking weather. If you do visit the canyon, go to the north rim, its 1500 ft higher in elevation and much nicer with 10x less tourists. The north rim is canadian boreal forrest(fir, spruce, aspen), the south rim is desert like(ponderosa pine) and not nearly as beautiful. Its strange how few people know this, even arizonans.

Tom,

That is interesting information on sweating. I guess it makes sense. It always impresses me how much you sweat when out walking in the jungle here. I guess it is not that you are sweating so much, it is just so humid that your sweat does not evaporate very fast, if at all and your clothese quickly get soaked.

Today I am here at 2 degrees north latitude in Boa Vista where it has been raining a lot. The rainy season here kicked in with full force this year.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Had a little Rain again yesterday Morning. I am hoping it will dry out soon, cos my Garden is squishy, but as the forecast is showing it doesn't look like it will. Had another 0.6mm of rain yesterday, Bringing the Total for June to 94.1mm quite over the Average 77.2mm.

Temp yesterday rose to a pleasant 21.8C (71.2F) after a low of 11.4C (52.5F). This morning the low was 13.1C (55.5F) and is meannt to rise to a nice 22C (71.6F) Night wise its been pretty mild, with an average so far of 12.5C (54.5F) which is +5C above average for June. Day times have been closer to Average sitting at 18.6C (65.5F) which is +0.2C above average. Still another 19 days left of June so we could still have a cold spell or a heatwave.

Records for June:

Highest Daytime Temp: 25.5C on 14th 2004 (77.9F), Lowest Daytime Temp: 10.5C on 12th 1975 (50.9F)

Highest Nightime: 16C on 19th 1973 (60.8F), Lowest: 0.8C on 25th 1971 (33.4F)

Highest Monthly Rainful: 374.4mm (1991), Lowest: 4.6mm (1968)

:)

post-1784-1213132060_thumb.jpg

post-1784-1213132103_thumb.jpg

post-1784-1213132142_thumb.jpg

Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia 33s

border Sub-tropical/Warm Temperate

Temp Ranges 2C - 46C in city, -2C - 49C in the far metro west

Tom,

That is interesting information on sweating. I guess it makes sense. It always impresses me how much you sweat when out walking in the jungle here. I guess it is not that you are sweating so much, it is just so humid that your sweat does not evaporate very fast, if at all and your clothese quickly get soaked.

Today I am here at 2 degrees north latitude in Boa Vista where it has been raining a lot. The rainy season here kicked in with full force this year.

dk

Yes Don, sweat will not evaporate quickly at all if humidity is high so you feel wet. there is something called "Ficks law" in physics that explains it technically. In the desert at low humidity, evaporative coolers are quite useful. Basically its a fan that draws dry air through a wet filter element, the result is cooled, more humid air. I sat outside in front of my evaporative cooler yesterday late afternoon with a beer and got too close and became cold. I had the chills while the ambient temp outside was 103 F. Same thing happens when you get out of the pool, brrrr run for that towel in 104F heat, but you are cold due to rapid evaporation off the skin. The bodys mechanism for controlling core temp heating is sweat evaporation, so if it doesnt evaporate you are hot. Rapid evaporation of freon is used in conventional air conditioning and refrigeration. Rapid evaporation of water can only occur at low humidity(< 30% RH). Some here in the desert have evaporative house coolers(mine is portable for porches and rooms), and they can get their inside temps into the 60's cheaply when its 100+ outside. Once the monsoon comes and the RH goes to 40-60%, they are useless, they dont cool anymore. I imagine in the jungle, the body struggles to cool itself and the sweating just accumulates on the skin. Its a good thing there is plenty of shade in the jungle, which is the best way to stop the suns from heating you, just get out of it.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Got a call from my friend in New York.They are all acting Goofier than hell,laying out in their pools pretending it is Florida even though it's hotter.It is really kind of funny but I am starting to worry about them.

We had a cooler than normal Spring here on the south coast of Spain. For several days, an anticyclone sat in the North Atlantic, not moving, driving cold air from Greenland down our way. It eventually shifted, to allow a suppressed warm front over North Africa to come breezing in with Summer temperatures, overnight of June 1st. Highs of 82F - lows of around 66F.

John,That sounds great.What is your humidity like?I remember Madrid to be dry.

*^&*n *& g^&*% rain again d(**^&. I *^ &*^&%&^ tired &^ w&%*(&((

We have gotten blasted over here three days in a row.Not sure of exact amount (Paper said .45")but I know it was more than that here.Paper says Year to Date=21.77"while normal=21.68".Guess were a little more on track than South Florida Water Management creates with Lake Okee at 9.33 ft with average at 13.65 ft.

SFWM likes to grow Mosquitoes in our deep canals so they can create another Mosquito fighting division.

Watching the Weather Channel,you would think it just rains down here all day!We are lucky that our Thunderstorms are quick movers and it goes back to sunny and hotter fast.No all day events except Tropical stuff.

We get Lightning but nothing like that Range in Florida from Temple Terrace to St.Augustine.Monolithic!I heard that Temple Terrace had more power outages due to lightning strikes than anywhere in the World.(I am sure some place in the World takes more incoming but I know it does get intense)

John,That sounds great.What is your humidity like?I remember Madrid to be dry.

Bubba,

Humidity is always poor here. Having washed the car this morning I was keen to douse the lane out front. It's a dirt track throwing up dust finer than talc when you drive over it. It stays like this now until October.

It has been beautiful here up til today that is. No rain and I just began attacking the 3' tall grass and weeds after the 3" of rain in late May.

Then BOOM we get almost 1/4 inch in an hour. Tomorrow everything I cut down today will be 6" tall. :rage:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

The weather at the moment is typical for this time of year.

Current Weather Conditions:

Manaus Aeroporto , Brazil

(SBMN) 03-09S 059-59W 84M

Conditions at

2008.06.15 0100 UTC

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions partly cloudy

Temperature 78 F (26 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 83%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.88 in. Hg (1012 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Had a Thunderstorm with lots of lightning and loud thunder in the early hours (2-4am) and all I received was .16" of rain. Chances of rain this week Sun-Fri are 40-50%.

Came home at 1am to a thunderstorm just beginning...it got heavy. After a week of hearing thunder and watching the radar, die as it approached, we received almost 2 1/2" of rain in 2 hours....more than all the last 9 weeks combined and then some! The ground was so dry the water seeped into my garage, no doubt runoff because it could not be absorbed yet. I felt so jipped lately because we barely got 1/2" in June so far...now we are on our way! Gardening will be MUCH easier this week...Greg in WET New Port Richey (and I fertlized this past week, too lol)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We get Lightning but nothing like that Range in Florida from Temple Terrace to St.Augustine.Monolithic!I heard that Temple Terrace had more power outages due to lightning strikes than anywhere in the World.(I am sure some place in the World takes more incoming but I know it does get intense)

I work in Temple Terrace and yes we get blasted there. I recall one day a few year ago as I was looking out the window seeing a car in the parking lot take a direct lightning hit. It looked like a rental and Im sure that it must have been fun for the renter to explain that one to Hertz :mrlooney:

Also, just a few years ago someone in the tech park I work in was out for an afternoon jog and got hit by lightning as well.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Down here in Hobart Winter so far has been reasonably mild around 6c @ night to 13-15 c daytime . Its so dry here we have only had 150 mm (6.0 inches ) sp far this year which is crazy >

send me some of that rain from the west Tyrone!!!

The new house is great although only planted 1 washy and 2 howea so far ,the others are still in pots . seems like a mild area (old beach ) low has been 1c .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Well the heat has hit, 110F for the last 3 days including later today. The humidity has been single digit as well, except in my yard. Now the truly heat loving palms will be the ones to continue growing. In heat like this, it helps to understand the concept of a siesta. You might as well sleep int he middle of the day, wake up later and work then. Evaporative cooling is still effective so I cool off the palms at night. I also changed the drip irriigation watering frequency to one medium and one deep watering a week(2x a week).

Tom Blank