IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

June 2008 Weather Thread

Daryl

We have had a wet start to June here. 140mm (5 1/2 ") over the last couple of days. Good for the garden, and enjoying the warm night temperatures. I just hope we don't go straight into a clear cold dry spell when it finishes.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

June got off to a good start for me. I received 1.16"/29.5mm of rain yesterday from a lone thunder storm. I had not had a good rain since April 6. Lets hope this is the start of the wet season.

Well we started with violent thunderstorms and 43mm of rain with warm nights. Now we're into a fine stage with cool nights around 7-8C and days around 23-25C which are very warm maximums for winter. The Dwarf Malay is still growing. Only another 88days of winter to go. :(

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well June for us started off Wet, after the driest May on Record, its virtually not stopped raining for 3 days. Avergae temp so far 18.3C.

Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia 33s

border Sub-tropical/Warm Temperate

Temp Ranges 2C - 46C in city, -2C - 49C in the far metro west

Rough start to summer, at least right now in my part of Louisiana. I say my part, because while we have had some big rains nearby, even flash flooding 30 miles away, we have missed the last few rains in the area. Temps are running steadily between 90F/32C and 95F/35C with mostly clear skies. That is warmer than normal for this time of year. Non-established plantings are starting to suffer. The cracks in our clay/loam soil are opening up to 1/4 inch/.6 cm in many places. Established plants are still fine, but things planted last year are suffering and I am dragging garden hoses around over 3 acres. Yuck. Come on rains and then all will be fine.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Rough start to summer, at least right now in my part of Louisiana. I say my part, because while we have had some big rains nearby, even flash flooding 30 miles away, we have missed the last few rains in the area. Temps are running steadily between 90F/32C and 95F/35C with mostly clear skies. That is warmer than normal for this time of year. Non-established plantings are starting to suffer. The cracks in our clay/loam soil are opening up to 1/4 inch/.6 cm in many places. Established plants are still fine, but things planted last year are suffering and I am dragging garden hoses around over 3 acres. Yuck. Come on rains and then all will be fine.

I hope you get them soon, Keith.

Here, "forever spring" is still going on. Temps around 70 and lows in the mid-upper 50s. Night and early morning low clouds giving way to wall to wall sunshine with no clouds at all.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hi Guys

Coldest morning of the year this morning in the valley. 8.5c at the bottom of the yard......bbbbrrrrrr! No rain and the air is very dry. I doubt we will see rain until September again, who knows :blink::blink::blink: ?

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Try October :angry: . Cold!!!! Very cold!!! Not single digit yet though (in deg C), thank goodness.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still dry as a bone here. The rainy season appears to be lagging behind as it did last year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Much the same on the island, Ray........dry. :angry:

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Absolutely beautiful here right now..... Day temps in the low-mid 80's, nights around 60-65 with heavy drenching thunderstorms mixed in here & there.... This weekend the heat machine will crank the temps up to around 90-92f though... that's a little TOO hot for me... I like it around 85-88f/day and 70-72f/night.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Well June is still going along wet, and cool. But nights are heaps warmer then normal

Currently the figures are: Low 13.4C, Max 17.9C, Rain 41.7mm

Compared to average: Low 7.5C, Max 18.4C, Rain 77.2mm

post-1784-1212530078_thumb.jpg

At the moment for June, which really hasn't started yet, we're averaging 11C min and 22C max, whereas the average is 9C min to 19C max. We've had 42mm of rain so far, the average is around 180mm. The longrange forecast is saying most of June will be blueskies, with two definite wet periods yet to come. We may not make our average rainfall. If this is an indication of what winter will be, it's going to be a warm one. I'm not complaining.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Terrific rains here and the temps are wonderful. The best start to June, our first month of winter, I've ever seen.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here on the southern part of the equatorial zone the rainy season persists. Although the intensity of the rain has decreased. It has been overcast a lot of the time. But, our summer dry season is looming on the horizon for July and beyond.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Rusty,

It's been raining inland everyday for a week or so. Surely they must be swimming by now.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

We ended up with 165mm up till tuesday, so a very welcome start. The temps have been great too, with warm humid nights and now that the rain has cleared we are having humid warm sunny days too. I wish winter would stay this way!

Welcome aboard Nikko, you snuck in here unannounced! Where in Sydney are you located and what do you have growing?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

June has been hot and dry here in Atlanta so far too. Everyday in the extended forcast has highs in low to mid 90's F. Lows will be comfortable around 70F. We need consistent rain though. Watering the grass is still banned here. Plant watering times are very limited. So I'm hoping that we get some good rains this summer to end this drought.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

G'day Daryl

Yea I am a quiet one, :mrlooney:

I am in Merrylands, which is 4 km south of Parramatta and 24km West of Sydney. In my suburbarn garden I have growing Several Queen palms, Redneck Palm, King Maya Palm, Lady Finger Palm, 2 Parlour Palms, Marjestic Palm, Golden Cane Palm, Lucuba palm, Triangle palm, 2 Foxtail Palms, Several Bangalow Palm Seedlings, Sky Duster seedlings and 2 Alexander Palms. Plus I am trying to sprout a Coconut Seed with little luck, but hey I know I can get them next year, cos I will be moving to Brisbane.

Still Wet down here. Up until 6:30 this morning we have had 78.6mm, Just over our Average for June.

post-1784-1212612193_thumb.png

It is great to see Australia represented in this thread. I guess that I am the only South American interested in the weather. But, that is ok. In Southern Brazil it has frozen already and there was a bit of snow. The cold fronts have started to hit from Antarctica already. But, we only get the very very end of them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Anyone know how to do a rain dance?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I need to do that too, Keith. There were talk about possibility of rain next week :hmm: since the night has since warmed up a little. But, I doubt it... Until that raindrops touch my skin.... I wouldn't hold my breath!! Till then, turn the bore on!!!

Darwin is very predictable... the wet season is WET and the dry season is BONE DRY!!!!!

Regards, ARi :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

Thats the Tropics for you. Luckly our "Dry" season here, cos we do get a dryier season, isn't as dry as the tropics dry season. Us and Brisbane had a enugh rain for all of us. Would share but I think both cities and states need it more then Darwin does :winkie:

Nikko

I need to do that too, Keith. There were talk about possibility of rain next week :hmm: since the night has since warmed up a little. But, I doubt it... Until that raindrops touch my skin.... I wouldn't hold my breath!! Till then, turn the bore on!!!

Darwin is very predictable... the wet season is WET and the dry season is BONE DRY!!!!!

Regards, ARi :)

Ari,

For the most part, our Junes are pretty predictable too. Only problem is, it is not raining here like it is supposed to be. All around us, within miles it falls, but not right here. All I can say is "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" followed by (*&(*&EI(#&#(*&()*.

Still haven't figured out the rain dance, so I made up my own. My neighbors don't come outside anymore, but I do see them peaking out of the side of their curtains. Hah, they won't be laughing when it rains. :mrlooney:

the coolest may and june I have seen in 10 years here. Today tops out at 90 F and dry(dewpoint of 28F). the average high for june has been 85F so far, and the average overnight low has been 64F. Our monthly high has been 100F, compared with 112 F last year IN MAY. Typically we should be running about 102F for the average daily high, so we are 17 degrees F below normal so far in june. The palms love this weather and all are pushing fronds rapidly. Normally, this time of year the palms slow down a bit in the dry heat before the monsoon season. We have had the dry, but the heat is just uncharacteristic in an historical sense. Cant complain, as I(and the palms) love those 65 degree mornings out in the back yard.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

the coolest may and june I have seen in 10 years here. Today tops out at 90 F and dry(dewpoint of 28F). the average high for june has been 85F so far, and the average overnight low has been 64F. Our monthly high has been 100F, compared with 112 F last year IN MAY. Typically we should be running about 102F for the average daily high, so we are 17 degrees F below normal so far in june. The palms love this weather and all are pushing fronds rapidly. Normally, this time of year the palms slow down a bit in the dry heat before the monsoon season. We have had the dry, but the heat is just uncharacteristic in an historical sense. Cant complain, as I(and the palms) love those 65 degree mornings out in the back yard.

Tom,

I guess that is Global Warming for you.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I got some rain yesterday (June 4). I am not sure how much as I was not home.

Has not rained properly in a long while.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Nikko,

Can't complain... it is the same every year. At least we got higher than average wet season this year. La nina didn't do much for us though... I think we are more effected by what happens in the Indian ocean rather than La Nina. We had the dryest May for a while... Usually we still get rain till the end of May, but someone flicked on the switch a month early!! Maybe we will get rain a month early this year :blink: .

Keith,

Keep dancing!!! You can only try!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

Yea same here we had the driest may on record with only 2.4mm at Observary Hill in Sydney. compared to the usual 102mm. So sucky all around I think

Nikko

It's gonna be a hot weekend here. We could hit 100F (38C) at my place for the first time this year. No rain in sight.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Feelin hot hot hot..... :)

Our Forecast :

Saturday,June 7th - Partly sunny, warmer and humid Low: 72 °F High: 88 °F

Sunday, Jun 8th - Sunshine, hot and humid Low: 75 °FHigh: 94 °F

Monday, Jun 9th - Sunshine, breezy, very warm Low: 77 °F High: 92 °F

Tuesday, Jun 10th - Mostly cloudy, breezy and warmLow: 70 °FHigh: 88 °F

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Our Forecast :

Hey Bobby, I'm in Philly right now and I'm heading down the Shore this weekend. Bring on the heat!!!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Our Forecast :

Hey Bobby, I'm in Philly right now and I'm heading down the Shore this weekend. Bring on the heat!!!

Jeff,

Feel like taking a 90 mile trip from Philly and coming to LI on over the w/e sometime? It's only about 2 hours away.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Well the Central Florida furnace is cranked at full blast today. High around 94ºF. Watered some plants this morning just before 9 AM and started sweating like a horse!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Its 6pm and 97f. Wind is out of the east at 3mph. I do not think the sea breeze is coming in today.

Anyone know how to do a rain dance?

Keith, i have tried to learn it for close to 2 years, and i must be doing something wrong.....85% of the island got rain today.....wanna guess who lives in the other 15%??????? :angry:

.......another rainy season that isn't.

Hope you get the rain soon....if you learn the dance post it soon....PLEASE!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Well the Central Florida furnace is cranked at full blast today. High around 94ºF. Watered some plants this morning just before 9 AM and started sweating like a horse!

Funny how those temps make no sense in terms of how hot it feels. I planted a phoenix sylvestris this morning, dug a hole 30" wide and 30" deep in clay and hardly broke a sweat, though I did get a little winded with the pickaxe. Later, I went to lunch walked around a bit after (in a shaded area) and 94 F(13% humidity) was kinda nice, a good day for a hike. If I was back in Philadelpha area where I grew up and it was even 85 degrees, I'd be sweating like a pig. I love the dry climate, but those 110F days are coming in the next month or two and dry doesnt stop that from being hot as hades.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Its 6pm and 97f. Wind is out of the east at 3mph. I do not think the sea breeze is coming in today.

Breezes shifted NW over here and its down to 93F now. But, at 430PM my station also logged 97.0F. The dewpoints have only been moderate (65-67F), so the heat index only added 5-6F to the actual temperature.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hi,

After some cooler period the beginning of June, it looks like that tomorrow i get some heat again... :) Between the 25-27C/77-80.6F during te day, and 10-12C/50-53.6F during the night... and sunny.

We got some good thunderstorms af few day's ago with some nice rain... soo let the plants growing ;)

186200831776.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

In Northern Calif., this is without a doubt, the coolest and longest spring I can remember in over 30 years. My low this morning was 49F (9.4C) and we are only 2 weeks away from summer. We are about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than normal, and the days have been much milder than normal. Normally I would be swealtering in the day time heat. We are also in a drought and this spring was the dryest on record. The forcast is for a warming trend on the way, and I'm ready for it. All of my palms are at least a month behind normal blooming time.

Dick

Richard Douglas